Nikception - is our rookie ever going to have a chance?

In the 26th of June, 2014, with the 8th pick in the draft - the Sacramento Kings selected Nik Stauskas: an proven shooter in his days as a wolverine and a big 10 player of the year, lots of potential and lots of energy by the young Canadian.

So preseason, Nik was doing okay overall - nice shooting and nice understanding of the game. At times looked better than McLemore by a long shot, making us belive Ben is still the rookie.

Come the season, Nik ran into some trouble in his way: couldn't shoot the ball well and letting fans down on D. Well, he is a rookie after all... Not one rookie stood out from this year's class so far (maybe Parker, but for the time he's getting he's not living up to the cost yet) - and neither did Nik.
During that amazing 5 wins in a row for our beloved Kings, McLemore finally showed us what the hell Malone was trying to say the entire summer about BenMC and he really proved critics, such as moi, dead wrong: Got used to play D against good players, finally found his shot and started playing unselfish basketball.

So what does that do to Nik? well, not good at all:
No minutes for him to get used to the enviornment in the big leagues, no chance for him to show how much of a playmaker he could be, and really, no minutes for him to use to evolve in the league.

Question is, where do you think Nik is going? to remind you, McLemore got to start right from the begining of last season (scored 31 in one of his first 5 games I believe) - I'm not hating on Ben cause I love how good of a player he became and how important he is at times, but aren't the Kings missing on a golden boy in Stauskas? maybe a strech of 2 games where he'll get most of the minutes will do all the diffrence between a soft rookie and a tough role player? Just come on Mike, give the kid a chance to learn from these mistakes, why would you draft him if he's not getting chances to learn NBA on his own flesh?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nik Stauskas is a rookie. We're a team trying to be taken seriously. Good teams don't play their rookies (at least those not named Durant, James, Davis, Wiggins, etc.) a lot of minutes. Kevin Martin played very limited minutes his rookie year. In fact, he was even left off the playoff roster - which only served to add more fuel to his competitive fire.

Sorry, but I'm not going to ask Malone to give the rookie minutes just so he can learn from his mistakes, especially if it hinders the big picture.

Again, he's a rookie. He'll earn his chance or he won't.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The thing is, this isn't last year. Last year we basically wasted a year developing kids and whatnot. Ben was out there and actually cost us games in the standings, and we had to know that. He was awful. But if Ben was a rookie this year, he would NOT be getting those minutes. And neither will Nik. We're 8-5 through the toughest part of the schedule in a foundational season that is threatening to turn the whole franchise around. There's no time now to play nursemaid to kids who just aren't ready yet. its important to the franchise that we keep the momentum, stay in the playoff race, change the narrative around the team.

Nik's going to have to find his way off the bench for now. Early on Ben was still awfulling and there was maybe a chance for Nik to take the lead spot. But with Ben stabilizing now, Nik is clearly looking at the backup minutes. But even there he has to produce something. Difference between a winning playoff eager team and a rebuilding team is the wins are now the thing, no matter how we get them. When things slow down for Nik and he starts hitting shots he can earn those minutes, not as a gift, but because it will help us win. And winning is what we are about now.

Nik is solid. We need 3pt shooting on this team, no doubt, and he is a perfect match for us to fill this void. If he can defend, he will get more minutes, just like McLemore did. In the past few games, Nik has under-performed on defense. However, it looks like he is willing to make the extra pass, and to create the "right" play. His offensive capabilities are great! Just improve on defense, and he will be a regular in the rotation as either a 1, 2, or 3, since McLemore is best suited to the 2 spot. When our two shooters are together, we should see a lot of splashing going on. Right now, it might not be that way. But later on, when Nik gets his defense down, we'll be good to go.

The thing is, there is really no evidence that throwing rookies who clearly aren't ready to contribute into the fire actually helps a rookie to develop. Last year, sure, Ben got globs of minutes, but that was only because Thornton forgot how to play basketball. The plan was for Ben to develop slowly off the bench. I think Nik is more NBA ready than Ben was last year, but Ben is looking like a much better player than Thornton was, so Nik rides the bench.

Kevin Martin developed off the bench in his rookie season behind Cuttino Mobley. Arron Afflalo developed off the bench in his rookie season behind Rip Hamilton. James Harden developed off the bench in his rookie season behind Thabo Sefalosha. Klay Thompson developed off the bench for half of his rookie season behind Monta Ellis. And those are just a few SGs I threw out off the top of my head. Stauskas may never be in that class of player, but there is nothing wrong with bringing a rookie along slowly as opposed to letting him suck in the limelight.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Nik really is better off just watching for the time being and maybe getting some playing time in the d league. He has no place on this team at the moment unless a trade or two is made but even then if one is made, it's more likely for a veteran and not a youngin.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nik really is better off just watching for the time being and maybe getting some playing time in the d league. He has no place on this team at the moment unless a trade or two is made but even then if one is made, it's more likely for a veteran and not a youngin.
So do you feel that way about all rookies or just Nik?

In the 26th of June, 2014, with the 8th pick in the draft - the Sacramento Kings selected Nik Stauskas: an proven shooter in his days as a wolverine and a big 10 player of the year, lots of potential and lots of energy by the young Canadian.

So preseason, Nik was doing okay overall - nice shooting and nice understanding of the game. At times looked better than McLemore by a long shot, making us belive Ben is still the rookie.

Come the season, Nik ran into some trouble in his way: couldn't shoot the ball well and letting fans down on D. Well, he is a rookie after all... Not one rookie stood out from this year's class so far (maybe Parker, but for the time he's getting he's not living up to the cost yet) - and neither did Nik.
During that amazing 5 wins in a row for our beloved Kings, McLemore finally showed us what the hell Malone was trying to say the entire summer about BenMC and he really proved critics, such as moi, dead wrong: Got used to play D against good players, finally found his shot and started playing unselfish basketball.

So what does that do to Nik? well, not good at all:
No minutes for him to get used to the enviornment in the big leagues, no chance for him to show how much of a playmaker he could be, and really, no minutes for him to use to evolve in the league.

Question is, where do you think Nik is going? to remind you, McLemore got to start right from the begining of last season (scored 31 in one of his first 5 games I believe) - I'm not hating on Ben cause I love how good of a player he became and how important he is at times, but aren't the Kings missing on a golden boy in Stauskas? maybe a strech of 2 games where he'll get most of the minutes will do all the diffrence between a soft rookie and a tough role player? Just come on Mike, give the kid a chance to learn from these mistakes, why would you draft him if he's not getting chances to learn NBA on his own flesh?
Last year we messed up with Ben. He had a terrible rookie year because Coach just threw him into fire.. he looked like a deer in headlights. Coach knows not to do that with Nik this year. We will bring him up slowly and help him improve his game.

The worst thing we can do is rush Nik when there's no reason to. We will not win with him getting the minutes Ben did last year. Ben received minutes on a rebuilding lottery team.. we're not the same team this year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well if the rookie can come in and do other things to contribute besides shooting, then sure...but in Nik's case he isn't doing anything out there right now and his shot is just not there because he rushes his shots. Ben syndrome.

Nik hasn't proved to anyone that he does deserve a spot on this team yet (in terms of what we've seen so far). Nik has been struggling a lot. Rookie or not, if you do not preform you will not get PT on a good team. Tyler Ennis and TJ Warren who were both 1st rounders for PHX, have received little to 0 minutes this season.

I'm not worried about Nik at all, but he doesn't deserve PT if he can't AT LEAST shoot without air balling.

Last year we messed up with Ben. He had a terrible rookie year because Coach just threw him into fire.. he looked like a deer in headlights. Coach knows not to do that with Nik this year. We will bring him up slowly and help him improve his game.

The worst thing we can do is rush Nik when there's no reason to. We will not win with him getting the minutes Ben did last year. Ben received minutes on a rebuilding lottery team.. we're not the same team this year.
Coach had no choice last year. They are doing Nik the way they wanted to do Ben last year (if reports are to be believed). How many of us went into last year with the expectations that Thornton was going to stink it up as badly as he did?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nik hasn't proved to anyone that he does deserve a spot on this team yet (in terms of what we've seen so far). Nik has been struggling a lot. Rookie or not, if you do not preform you will not get PT on a good team. Tyler Ennis and TJ Warren who were both 1st rounders for PHX, have received little to 0 minutes this season.

I'm not worried about Nik at all, but he doesn't deserve PT if he can't AT LEAST shoot without air balling.
It appears you and I have drastically different ideas of the roles of rookies on a team that's working for a slot in the playoffs.

Nik is not in the same situation that Ben was in. Ben was afforded a ton of playing time because last season was so unique and was really a throw away as far as W's & L's are concerned. Nik's foot speed and overall athleticism do however worry me, not to the point of panic or anything like that but he needs to work on his overall conditioning. I got a chance to see Nik a few times this season in person and imo he's not ready for the league this season. He has trouble pulling the trigger and can't defend his position effectively. He probably does not contribute to much this season but I can see him in the big picture being a serious threat from 3 and making plays for us off the bench.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Malone seems like the kind of coach who will reward good play with more minutes. Unfortunately, Nik hasn't done much with his minutes to earn more of them, at least not yet.

I have faith Nik will be okay, but he is just a rookie and we're trying to win, for the firs time in years. And I do think he is getting the chance to get used to the environment of the big leagues. When the team practices, he is on the floor with NBA players and with NBA veterans. And if he pays attention he will learn a lot from the bench by listening, watching and absorbing as much as he can from coaches and veteran players.

He has plenty of opportunity to learn the NBA game. Personally, I think Nik has the work ethic and desire to get better to do just that.

J

jdbraver

I'm not worried about nik. He will be getting regular playing time by the end of the year. We need shooting in the worst way and once he figures out the plays he will be fine.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Nik is not in the same situation that Ben was in. Ben was afforded a ton of playing time because last season was so unique and was really a throw away as far as W's & L's are concerned. Nik's foot speed and overall athleticism do however worry me, not to the point of panic or anything like that but he needs to work on his overall conditioning. I got a chance to see Nik a few times this season in person and imo he's not ready for the league this season. He has trouble pulling the trigger and can't defend his position effectively. He probably does not contribute to much this season but I can see him in the big picture being a serious threat from 3 and making plays for us off the bench.
I feel the same. These are things that are addressed in the off-season when there is time to work on his speed, agility and strength. Best case scenario probably is he gets confidant enough to start producing offensively. He's physically not ready and now he's mentally struggling. We need that outside shooting.

One big problem with Nik is:

For some reason or another, the instant Nik subs into the game, the opposing team immediately changes their entire gameplan and starts running plays directly to take advantage of the rook.

I mean, the other teams are focused on him like he slapped their collective wives, or something - it's kinda odd.

Opponents simply prepare better for legitimate playoff contender, that already beat or had 24 point leads in the houses :D of all the current elite teams. And everybody loves freebies, which Nik defending you leads to most of the times.

One big problem with Nik is:

For some reason or another, the instant Nik subs into the game, the opposing team immediately changes their entire gameplan and starts running plays directly to take advantage of the rook.

I mean, the other teams are focused on him like he slapped their collective wives, or something - it's kinda odd.
No more odd than teams running zone on us consistently because we're a poor outside shooting team. The key to winning in the NBA is taking advantage of your opponents weaknesses and exploiting matchup problems. Unfortunately, game tape shows that Nik can be exploited. You go at Nik to force our coaches to take him out of the game and eliminate his 3 point threat.

Coach Malone will pick the spots to get Nik his minutes. I'm sure Nik is getting in his lifting and working hard in practice. When his game comes around he becomes one more weapon off the bench.

Just check the thread next to this - "Home Sweet Home: Looking Ahead to 11/30 thru 1/17". Their will be home games against cupcake teams, and just a lot of home games in general. Nik will get PT, just needs to work on his game, and at least start knocking those semi-open shots. You can say, that most of Ben's shots are open, but at the same time majority of those are from spots he moved to at the last moment. Nik moves too, but not with nearly the same intensity.

As I wrote in the other thread, I believe Nik will be just fine. Correct, this is not last years SAC. Therefore, he will play less minutes for a much stronger team. That's good, because he will have more time to develop. There's absolutely no need to hurry. If he gets his shot to fall by the playoffs, that's just money in the bank. If not, he'll work with good coaches during the summer to get it right.

J

jdbraver

he had a chance, and he blew it because he's not ready.

i think the best course of action is to bring in a veteran SG.
I wouldn't mind Terrance Williams. Tho I wouldn't say nik blew it. Just like Ben he needs to stop thinking so much and play. It's more mental than Anything.

I wouldn't mind Terrance Williams. Tho I wouldn't say nik blew it. Just like Ben he needs to stop thinking so much and play. It's more mental than Anything.
Terrance Williams is not going to play here again.....I just don't understand why there are so many people obsessed with him.

J

jdbraver

Terrance Williams is not going to play here again.....I just don't understand why there are so many people obsessed with him.
And you know this how? Maybe people think the guy can handle, make good decisions and play D. Just my guess.