Nik Stauskas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been able to come on lately and wasn't able to watch tonight's game, but I saw the box score. Looks like he finally had a good game. I'm sure he was frustrated, so I hope this is the break through for him. We really need him and Ben to be playing well, especially while the big guy is out.

He looked much calmer this game. Up until now, it looked like he was trying to slow down and take his time, only to realize he didn't have as much time as he thought, and then he ended up rushing it.

Everything he did today was in rhythm and natural.

Haven't been able to come on lately and wasn't able to watch tonight's game, but I saw the box score. Looks like he finally had a good game. I'm sure he was frustrated, so I hope this is the break through for him. We really need him and Ben to be playing well, especially while the big guy is out.
He started off cold, something like 1-3 or 0-3, then made 3 consecutive shots. Went back to being cold in the start of the 2nd half, then got hot at the end again. He looked very good today. Did not rush his shots and gave up good shots, and made better shots. He also hustled a lot. He played good D and grabbed 8 rebounds!

What a great positive performance from the Rookie!!!

I'm thinking the Kings are going to end up with the best one - two SG punch in the NBA!!!
I just hope Ben and Nik find a way to coexist while DMC is out. It would be nice if each of them can contribute 15pts/night rather than only one of them.

Nah. As it's been said before, one will have to go eventually. Probably Ben.
Why is that?

Let's assume Ben and Nik reach their potential.

Nik could in theory become a mini Ginobli if he reaches his potential. Excellent on the pick and roll, spot shoot, ball movement. We could always take Ben out earlier, insert Nik, let Nik run a few mins when appropriate as the primary ball handler or at the SF.

Honestly you could get 30/18 at the SG

And Nik to pick up another 10 min between the PG and SF.

But time for those talks is a few years from now, with a whole lot of growing and blessings needed along the way.

exactly its a few years away . We'll be able to cash out on one of them down the track (if we choose to) as im certain both will continue to develop with the main strength being the fact that the other one will be banging down the barn door for the others minutes. Its a perfect situation to inspire and improve.

Nik doesnt seem to be an IT, we could keep him in the 6th man role. Why he'd want to leave when we're at the top of the NBA i dont know.

Why is that?

Let's assume Ben and Nik reach their potential.

Nik could in theory become a mini Ginobli if he reaches his potential. Excellent on the pick and roll, spot shoot, ball movement. We could always take Ben out earlier, insert Nik, let Nik run a few mins when appropriate as the primary ball handler or at the SF.

Honestly you could get 30/18 at the SG

And Nik to pick up another 10 min between the PG and SF.

But time for those talks is a few years from now, with a whole lot of growing and blessings needed along the way.
Ginobli? That's a unique player. Not sure where people for that comparison.

When you have 2 young players at the same position at the same stage of their career essentially, you can only give one significant b playing time. A young player has to be able to work through good and bad games. Unless that player visb significantly hurting the team, he's got to be allowed to have a slow start or off shooting night without fear of losing his spot. You can say it's a competition and what not. Sure. But you can't see a players full potential if he's on a short leash and can't have some ups and downs.

My feeling is that Malone desperately wants Nik to be the guy who wins out. And that's fine. But you have 2 high draft picks at the same position. You only need one.

Yes, it's early and this whole thing has yet to shake out. More importantly, I was happy to see Nik have success on the court. I was getting worries he'd be in a prolonged slump.

Huge fan of Nik since before day 1.

Not a believer that we can only have one of the two Ben/Nik.

We need 8/9 great players to win a title.
The fact is, we can and will have both the next 3 seasons (assuming rookie contracts go 4 years if options are excercised). They should eventually get in a situation where it's not either/or and both succeed in the same game.

Ginobli? That's a unique player. Not sure where people for that comparison.

When you have 2 young players at the same position at the same stage of their career essentially, you can only give one significant b playing time. A young player has to be able to work through good and bad games. Unless that player visb significantly hurting the team, he's got to be allowed to have a slow start or off shooting night without fear of losing his spot. You can say it's a competition and what not. Sure. But you can't see a players full potential if he's on a short leash and can't have some ups and downs.

My feeling is that Malone desperately wants Nik to be the guy who wins out. And that's fine. But you have 2 high draft picks at the same position. You only need one.
I don't get this line of thinking. Why do we only need one? Every other team in the NBA has more than one SG. If both develop properly, we could have a great starter and a great 6th man. Why wouldn't we want that?

Having a good bench is the difference between good teams and great teams.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Nik can play, he's just got to remember he can when he's on the floor.

rookie problems, expect plenty more of them from him this season, all growth and learning this year.
People should recognize that rookies are rookies but many were ready to write off Nik 10 games into the season. It was a curious roller coaster with some thinking Nik would be better than Ben when Nik was drafted, then that he was worthless and then there was last night which shows promise. As fans, I think too many focus on the last game and not the bigger picture. Not me, of course. :)

We can use Ben and Nik. They are two different kinds of players. Decades ago the term "hang time" was used. Ben has hang time. He can be a tremendous defender and still have enough offense to be a two way threat. I suspect Nik will be the better all around offensive player and need to work hard to be a defender. I don't understand why we need to unload one. Why not have both? There are a lot of minutes and there are injuries and illnesses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.