New Kings Arena Design Concepts

Ryan

I like turtles
I think it is twice as big as Arco. I think the Kings need this arena to become relevant in the FA market and thanks to Ranadive and his vision to get this whole dang thing done. I realize Vivek isn't the only one involved but certainly all of us feel boosted by his energy and goals.
And let's NOT forget Mark Friedman! He's the brains behind the entire ESC

I am just excited to see this all happening. My primary hope is that the building says "Sacramento Kings"...I guess what I mean to say is that I want it to have personality; to reflect who we are, Northern California, the Cap City...
When they do the opening shots as a game telecast starts, you know those glam shots from a helicopter, the city lights sort of wrapped around this shining palace of sport, I want there to be no doubt about the location of the building, or the die-hard people who fill it every time our team takes the court.
Some cities have this, they have their identity stamped on the building. We need that in droves.
Hell we deserve it. We earned it.
I know the Kings belong to Sacto, but the truth is that there are a heck of a lot of people in all of NorCal, up and down the Sierras, the foothills, and the valley who LOVE this team.
And I am one of them.

wow I love the idea of it! The only thing is that 17,000 seats is a little low. It probably means ticket prices will be higher? The architect is really unique. Hopefully they can release more about the arena soon. Sound amazing

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
wow I love the idea of it! The only thing is that 17,000 seats is a little low. It probably means ticket prices will be higher? The architect is really unique. Hopefully they can release more about the arena soon. Sound amazing
Last I heard, we're looking at 17,500 as our seating capacity, which is roughly 200 more than we have now. Plus that folding door allows us to have a crowd out in the plaza for big events (I.E. twenty thousand people shouting and cheering through the massive hole in the wall during the NBA finals).

17,000 seats, in addition to the standing room only crowd which will gather at one end of the arena....I think we will be fine...

Only knock I have with the above renderings is that, besides the huge display above the court, I don't see any additional displays around the arena. I feel like there should be a smaller display located at each end of the arena for other scores, in game stats, etc. or they could do that by having a LED display that goes around in between both bowls...kinda like how it is in STA, but with the LED display instead....

Only knock I have with the above renderings is that, besides the huge display above the court, I don't see any additional displays around the arena. I feel like there should be a smaller display located at each end of the arena for other scores, in game stats, etc. or they could do that by having a LED display that goes around in between both bowls...kinda like how it is in STA, but with the LED display instead....
Chris Granger was on with Carmichael Dave this morning, he was saying they have a lot more work to do on the inside of the arena and they'll continue to release more pictures and tidbits of information to us over time. With Vivek's focus on technology and NBA 3.0, I think we'll see a lot of impressive technology on the inside of that arena

Yeah, I would guess the LED display that some have as a "ribbon" around the entire stadium would be something that wouldn't show up in this black and white rendering. Given the potential for integrating social media (Stanford has a constant stream of fan tweets about the game on display, along with out-of-town scores and the more traditional scoreboard fare), I'd imagine Vivek and co would be planning something along the same lines.

I'm actually not a fan of the design. When you tend to go "ultra-modern" things tend to become an eyesore much quicker than if you went with a more traditional building.

I was looking at the comments on Good Day Sacramento's FB page about this, and I can't believe all of the hate towards this project. So many narrow-minded brains in this city. Makes me sick to my stomach

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I was looking at the comments on Good Day Sacramento's FB page about this, and I can't believe all of the hate towards this project. So many narrow-minded brains in this city. Makes me sick to my stomach
To be fair, they're all just the same STOP member commenting under different names. And all the real people are all either on their way to work/ still in the actual work phase of their work day.

I'm actually not a fan of the design. When you tend to go "ultra-modern" things tend to become an eyesore much quicker than if you went with a more traditional building.
It depends on how it is incorporated into the area. Look at the Olympic stadium and the surrounding venues. Old, "ultra-modern" in its debut and still beautiful.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
That first rendering of the inside of the arena appears to have a huge skylight on the right side. Wonder if that is what it is or something else.

Wasn't there talk at one point about having lights/video or similar able to be displayed on the outside "panels"? I wonder if that is feasible with this.

The 5th photo down shows a "balcony" however I don't see that anywhere in the rest of the photos. Nice idea I think, just wondering how many and where they will be located.

That first rendering of the inside of the arena appears to have a huge skylight on the right side. Wonder if that is what it is or something else.

Wasn't there talk at one point about having lights/video or similar able to be displayed on the outside "panels"? I wonder if that is feasible with this.

The 5th photo down shows a "balcony" however I don't see that anywhere in the rest of the photos. Nice idea I think, just wondering how many and where they will be located.
Are you counting down from the HD pictures? The one with the wheelchair in it? My opinion of the picture that it is more of a standing area as shown in the picture below it (if we are talking about the same picture) and the last picture.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not convinced that's anything in particular, maybe just an "architectural blank spot" at the moment.

I believe that the balcony stretches on the upper level (that is, at the top of the second deck) across the NW main entrance. If you look at the first interior rendering, at the top I think is the balcony. I don't know if there would be any more than just the one, but it would be big.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
17,000 is only 317 less than what we have right now. Vivek has made it clear they wanted to retain the ambiance and feel of the barn, so this is pretty much perfect IMHO.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Are you counting down from the HD pictures? The one with the wheelchair in it? My opinion of the picture that it is more of a standing area as shown in the picture below it (if we are talking about the same picture) and the last picture.
Yes, I was. I don't think so as "balcony" was specifically stated which means outdoor and open to the air. The standing area below that is clearly indoors with glass panels.

Capt - I think you are right, I am just saying on the exterior renderings I don't see any balconies - they are all the glass-enclosed standing areas. And you may be right on the skylight, I guess we will find out eventually.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Last I heard, we're looking at 17,500 as our seating capacity, which is roughly 200 more than we have now. Plus that folding door allows us to have a crowd out in the plaza for big events (I.E. twenty thousand people shouting and cheering through the massive hole in the wall during the NBA finals).
I think the article says there is less seating area but there is standing room that increases the capacity. I'm not going to fret about it.

I think the article says there is less seating area but there is standing room that increases the capacity. I'm not going to fret about it.
I think I read somewhere today that the capacity is 19,000 when standing room only is included. I didn't want to search for the link to the quote because I don't see it as being an issue when all is said and done.

The only basketball events that need more than a capacity of 19k would be a final four. Final Fours are now being held in dome football stadiums, so we don't need to concern ourselves with that.

I love the standing room area inside the arena. It looks kinda like what the Arizona cardinals have. They call it the red zone and its a party all through out the game.

A lot of them are probably paid commenters. They get a list of articles or facebook posts and comment negatively even though they don't live here or have anything to do with it. Time for me to go troll I guess?

I can't wait until it's built so I don't have to deal with those idiots anymore.