[NBA Playoffs] First round games open thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I figured it was time to start this thread with the first game now going. I'll start it off with this:

I must have missed something - why is it that the Toronto crowd are so passionately booing Paul Pierce? Did he run his mouth or something?

I figured it was time to start this thread with the first game now going. I'll start it off with this:

I must have missed something - why is it that the Toronto crowd are so passionately booing Paul Pierce? Did he run his mouth or something?
I think last year he had that game saving block when he was with Brooklyn. His block eliminated the Raps from the playoffs (I think).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

I think last year he had that game saving block when he was with Brooklyn. His block eliminated the Raps from the playoffs (I think).
IIRC, the sequence of events was something like:
  1. Pierce hit the game winner against Toronto in Game 1 last year, shouted "That's why they brought me here!"
  2. Had the (questionable) game-winning block against Toronto in Game 7, that eliminated Toronto.
  3. Prior to this year's playoffs, he said something to the effect of, "Nobody's afraid of Toronto; they don't have the 'it' that you need."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I can see it now, Whitman gets fired after losing this series, is replaced by Mike Malone, the Wizards immediately become landing place A for Boogie.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not sure why you would assume that Washington would lose this series: Toronto is soft as ****.

Or, as Big Cass might say, s-a-w-f-t. SAWFT!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Pelicans' young core played like the stage was too big for them in the first quarter, and it probably was. Davis and Gordon have played better since coming back; remains to be seen what Evans looks like in his return.

this is why i'm not ready to crown anthony davis as the league's best big man. twice at the end of the second quarter the pelicans needed buckets to stay in the game. the warriors took away everything easy, so the pels tried to post up davis on back to back possessions, and twice he had no chance at all. he's an incredible talent, and an undeniable superstar, but it remains to be seen if he can function as a go-to player when his team needs him to be, particularly in the playoffs when defenses tighten up considerably...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
this is why i'm not ready to crown anthony davis as the league's best big man. twice at the end of the second quarter the pelicans needed buckets to stay in the game. the warriors took away everything easy, so the pels tried to post up davis on back to back possessions, and twice he had no chance at all...
No credit deserved to Draymond Green/Andrew Bogut's defense, eh?

No credit deserved to Draymond Green/Andrew Bogut's defense, eh?
their defense is outstanding, per the usual. but that's my point. in the larger conversation of who the best big man in the league is, i'm gonna evaluate assertiveness and dominance into the equation. demarcus cousins gets more than four free throws in that first half, for example, because he's gonna lay into the defense. bogut gives big cuz fits, too, but he'll rarely be rendered passive or entirely ineffectual...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just started a playoff winner prediction thread so people can pick who they think will win the first round. Any discussion, etc. should still be made here. :)

I think it's rather more than a little hyperbole to describe Davis as "entirely ineffectual."
fair enough, but sometimes davis completely disappears from games. for all his efficiencies, sometimes his impact isn't felt as strongly as it should be for a "best big in the nba"-caliber talent. i imagine that will change as he continues to evolve, but i'm not yet ready to elevate him beyond my eye test, no matter how dazzling his stats may be. we'll see how he responds in game 2, because the pels looked spooked in this one...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
fair enough, but sometimes davis completely disappears from games. for all his efficiencies, sometimes his impact isn't felt as strongly as it should be for a "best big in the nba"-caliber talent. i imagine that will change as he continues to evolve, but i'm not yet ready to elevate him beyond my eye test, no matter how dazzling his stats may be. we'll see how he responds in game 2, because the pels looked spooked in this one...
Oracle is never a friendly place to play any more. I think the Pels are overwhelmed by being in the playoffs, having to play in Oracle, etc.

Random memory: I can recall when Arco was like that. (Audible sigh).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
My ongoing criticism of Davis. Basically soft.

And he really needs to just never come back to Northern California again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If I'm the Warriors, I have to be just a tad concerned. They easily could have lost this game.

As far as AD goes, I'm wondering why he didn't have a fistful of rebounds to go with all those points.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If I'm the Warriors, I have to be just a tad concerned. They easily could have lost this game.

As far as AD goes, I'm wondering why he didn't have a fistful of rebounds to go with all those points.
Well, they basically played him like a SG for the first three quarters.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I can't decide whether that was a fake charge or a real one, but nobody questions his talent.

Admiral remains a good comparison for me at the moment. So mobile, so talented, and yet...
I can't think any reason why that would be an unfair comparison. I also can't imagine anybody saying that Robinson wasn't one of the top bigs of his era, if not all time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so Evans plays his first playoff game and then proceeds to leave the game with an injury. ouch..hope he plays in Game 2, he walked off on his own so I think he will be fine. Wish I could of watched the Wiz Raptors game

Status
Not open for further replies.