NASCAR racing fans

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Now that we are down to the final 10 races, and have only 10 drivers left in the championship chase, I have 2 questions for you. Who do you think will win the championship, and who do you want (of the 10 possible) to win it.

Mine:

Proabably will win: Matt Kenseth
Hope will win: J. Gordon

I would like to see Mark Martin win. That would be a great story. But If not I want JG to win since his first race was in Rio Linda and hes from Vellejo.

Sooooo....

Hope to: Mark Martin

Likely: Kenseth...... (Seems like everybody is picking him)

would be a great way for Martin to wrap up his driving career.....but not my first choice,i'm going with the underdog

I hope to win...Denny Hamlin

will probly win...Jeff Gordon.....(but i hope not)

I'm rooting for Mark Martin to win the championship. He has come in second way too many times. If it has to be anyone else, I'm rooting for the Richard Childress guys - Harvick or Burton will be fine. I'm very anti-Hendrick motorsports.

I have been a Martin fan since his rookie year in Nascar, and I'm still hoping that this will FINALLY be his year. If he doesn't win, which I don't even want to think about, I'll be pulling for Denny Hamlin. I like that kid, and he's going to be an incredible star in this sport.

I have been a Martin fan since his rookie year in Nascar, and I'm still hoping that this will FINALLY be his year. If he doesn't win, which I don't even want to think about, I'll be pulling for Denny Hamlin. I like that kid, and he's going to be an incredible star in this sport.
Martin certainly deserves a championship no question about it,he is a class act.I could'nt agree more about Hamlin,the kid has a lot of talent he has'nt even seen yet.

i thought it was pretty funny, but then there were a ton of articles about how it's offensive to nascar fans, painting them as stereotypical southerners, and christians, and xenophobes, and homophobes...man, the list went on. just curious.

still thought it was way funnier than old school though. anyway, back to nascar!

Basically I root for manufacturers and if it's a Chevy I'm satisfied. I root for Chevys for numerous reasons but primarily because they run the Monte Carlo chassis, rear wheel drive configuration as opposed to Ford's front wheel drive Fusion and Chrysler's front wheel drives. It used to be in NASCAR that you had to have X number of units on the street before you could race a certain type car and they had to be front wheel drive. Now they've dropped that so more manufacturers can participate. But since Chevy still does it the "right" way to my old school mind I stick with them. I prefer the Hendrick team but RCR, DEI or Joe Gibbs teams will do as well. My real concern is NASCAR going "international" allowing the Toyotas to compete next year. What's next a merger of NASCAR and SCCA? As far as who will win and who I want to win? I'd like to see Gordon win, he's my favorite driver, but if I were betting I'd bet on Harvick who's on a real tear right now. He and Burton of RCR have looked real strong recently for some mysterious reason. Wonder how them boys are cheatin'!!

Just re-read my post and I make it sound like the Fords and Chryslers are racing in front wheel drive trim but I know they're not and that's my criticism, that they run on the street one way (front/rear wheel drive, different engines) and on the track a different way while Chevy remains rear wheel drive and same basic engine since 1955 (if you don't count the heads where all the power is made).

Just re-read my post and I make it sound like the Fords and Chryslers are racing in front wheel drive trim but I know they're not and that's my criticism, that they run on the street one way (front/rear wheel drive, different engines) and on the track a different way while Chevy remains rear wheel drive and same basic engine since 1955 (if you don't count the heads where all the power is made).
I root for people,their attitude,thier driving style,and how they got to where they are.Its easy for a multi-team powerhouse to win a title compared to a single car team,thats why I'll root for the underdogs, or guys I think have some hidden talent.As far as chevys go, i'm with ya,even though chrysler/dodge have been writing my paychecks for the last 7 years,I'm a chevy man at heart when it comes to racing.The small block chevy is a racers best friend,thier are everywhere and cheap.BTW i'm in the process of building my 6th race car to run in the Bomber div. in Roseville.Its a 1986 Monte Carlo,looking forward to it.As far as chevys always doing it right..rear/front wheel drive issue,the chevy Lumina was a frt wheel drive car "on the street".and dodge now has the charger,which is a rear wheel drive car.love talking cars and racing with ya...

Hey, Sir Henry, I sympathize with the "little guy" too, guys like Robbie Gordon who do a lot with very little, comparatively. I just think that when you get to the epitome of a sport that there should be very few rules governing the pursuit of excellence (like the much hated fuel restrictor plates and spoilers designed to "even things out" between the different makes) and little guys have a tough time remaining competitive. But I guess that's where NASCAR comes in to balance competiveness, excitement and safety. Personally I'd like to see a more "run what ya' brung" approach to the rules since they're little more than funny cars that turn left as it is now with very little stock in stock cars left. They keep trying to slow them down but the speeds keep creeping up due to the ingenuity of guys like you. But I believe that higher speeds with appropriate spoiler heights would be more exciting and evolving technology would make it safer as time went on. And the bigger teams are more able to develop this technology. By the way, wasn't the Lumina a response to the Ford Taurus that NASCAR allowed to be the first FWD car to run, thereby keeping FORD in the mix? Anyway it's nice to see so much of racing technolgy filter down to eveyday vehicles. Can you imagine streetcars of today not having the electronic controls they do to enhance everything from creature comforts, driveability, fuel efficiency, smog control, safety? All the products of racing...from Formula 1 to dirt trackers. Good luck with your bomber!

I do believe your right about the lumina and taurus,and though i've never been a ford guy and never will, i did think the t-bird was there best.The technology learned from racing (all forms) is incredible and i'm lucky enough to get to see it on a daily basis,although trying to diag. and repair some of the problems can be very challenging to the mind.Sadly the auto industry is in dire need of repair techs. both for the present and future that are worth a s*@#,but thats another story.Racing is the one thing i truly have a passion for,driving and knowing what to do to make your car react to your touch is a art form that not everyone can appreciate,when you think of these guys going 190 mph plus...and request a change of 1/2lb.psi. in the r/f tire just shows how in tune some of these guys are with thier "car",and the technology is only getting better.
a correctionon my car.. it's a 1983 not a 86..not sure what i was thinking.
I also like Robbie Gordon,and always rooted for Johnny Benson, to bad he's not running the Cup right now.Talk to ya soon......

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I missed this week's race at Dover. Looks like Jeff Burton had a good enough day to win and move to the top of the standings. Lots of little shuffling going on in the positions. This might be the best chase yet. No one is taking off and running with it.

I missed this week's race at Dover. Looks like Jeff Burton had a good enough day to win and move to the top of the standings. Lots of little shuffling going on in the positions. This might be the best chase yet. No one is taking off and running with it.
Hi 6th, i got to watch most of the race,typical Dover race,lots of hurt race cars,and at least 1 roll of the dice that didn't pan out.I agree, this will be a good chase.

Hi 6th, i got to watch most of the race,typical Dover race,lots of hurt race cars,and at least 1 roll of the dice that didn't pan out.I agree, this will be a good chase.
I saw most of the race as well and was really ticked at my man, Gordon, for not leading at least the first lap to pick up the extra 5 points. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt him down the road. After most of the top runners got their setups more or less dialed in I thought we's see some more competitive racing but the last 30 laps between Kenseth and Burton was really cool. Nobody said it but I think Jeff knew Matt had a fuel issue and made him really work hard to use as much fuel as possible during that stretch to run him out. Add in the fresher tires Jeff had and that's why the second best car won this race. There's so much more teamwork involved in this level of racing that seldom meets the eye of the casual observer. Too bad more attention is not given to the team members. And while I chose Kevin Harvick the favorite a few days ago I guess I wasn't too far off with his teammate winning.