Monk feared to have sprained MCL (Update: out 4-6 weeks)

If Malik is out for weeks, I'm hoping coach Brown gives Colby Jones a shot at some minutes over Durate. Every time I watch Durate he misses wide open 3 pointers and seems to be ineffective.

If Malik is out for weeks, I'm hoping coach Brown gives Colby Jones a shot at some minutes over Durate. Every time I watch Durate he misses wide open 3 pointers and seems to be ineffective.
I was very hopeful for Duarte when he arrived because I think back to his rookie season, but then he plays.

I'm a big fan of giving Colby some minutes.

That’s a massive body blow for the season. I just hope it’s the lowest grade for Malik’s sake.

I think the 6th man award is already his but our luck from last season with injuries has certainly run dry.

Even for the lowest grade, I think 2 weeks is pretty wishful thinking so I don’t see him returning unless it turns out not to be the MCL or the Kings somehow advance further than projected even with Monk healthy.

I just hope we haven’t seen his last Kings game.

I was very hopeful for Duarte when he arrived because I think back to his rookie season, but then he plays.

I'm a big fan of giving Colby some minutes.
I think Colby is the closest thing to Monk stylistically out of all the remaining guards. Specifically as a ball handler. Chances of Brown giving him a shot are remote though. We’ve seen he’d rather not play a 3rd forward than give Slawson run and most of the time even Kessler run.

I do think this opens up Davion to play his role in the offense that he played in his rookie year. He’s best offensively when he gets to handle the ball more so we’ll see.

Is there any chance that this injury isn’t as serious as they think it is?
It didn't look like Monk was laboring too much but who knows, but like Huerter it's the timing of it more than anything. The last two seasons the Kings have had bad injury luck at the worst time. Fox last year in the playoffs, this year Huerter and Monk right at the end of the season. The only good luck for the Kings if if they are going to suffer multiple injuries at any position it better be SG. They have a ton of G's including Colby who could get a look now perhaps.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hate to say it but this is actually a good thing for Monte when it comes to assessing needs and value this summer. If the Kings tank it says something, if they don't, it might say more.
I also think wrt retaining Monk it is helpful if we were depending on loyalty playing a factor if there were competitive offers. If he has any he may feel a sense of unfinished business.

At least we’ll get a head start and see what we look like when Monk gets the bag elsewhere this offseason!
And that's kind of the thing here, if Monk finds a team willing to pay him more and give him a starting spot, nobody can begrudge him for making the smart choice for him. Now if the Kings were a guaranteed contender maybe it changes things, but it's not looking like it. With or without Monk there is a piece or two missing. Thankfully with Keon and Keegan filling two of the biggest holes this team has seemingly had forever on the defensive end the process of getting that piece is way more possible since now that piece might not have to be quite as prolific talent wise.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
He won‘t and shouldn’t start here but the interview I saw was that he was focused on 6MOY but didn’t see that as his permanent spot. But there is almost no universe on a Fox-Keegan-Domas centered team where he isn’t the 6th man.

I also think wrt retaining Monk it is helpful if we were depending on loyalty playing a factor if there were competitive offers. If he has any he may feel a sense of unfinished business.
We're also assuming Monte is even willing to pay a bench player 18 million a season even though Monk individually is clearly worth that. The issue for Monte is his cap, how does he ever add to his team being so close to the first apron and get to contender status? He's dangerously close to the point where you hunker down with the squad you've got and sideways shuffle with the trades you do make. I get the feeling Monte might go for something major this summer if things end up disappointing, which I'm sure he's not satisfied with this season up to this point. McNair tried to add this last deadline without disrupting team balance but it wasn't possible. If it's not possible again this summer I can totally see Monte "going for it" if the return is a major one. I'm talking Keegan, picks, picks, and picks if you're building a guaranteed big 3 at the end of the day. The issue is right now, there doesn't appear to be a player like that out there worth that. The playoffs sometimes change viewpoints though so we'll see.

This really hurts. Get well soon, Monk. Hoping for a good recovery. Hope we get to see him suit up for us once again.

We just lost a fearless shot creator and playmaker. He was the guy that would create scoring opportunities for Sabonis. He was our leading shotblocker. The vibes just wouldn't be the same.

It's time for the team to show their mettle. I think we still have a fight in this team. All eyes will be on Fox to see how he responds.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Hate to say it but this is actually a good thing for Monte when it comes to assessing needs and value this summer. If the Kings tank it says something, if they don't, it might say more.
What does "tank" mean in this context? The Kings have already clinched a winning record: even if they lose out, they'll finish 42-40. They literally can't finish worse than the 11th seed in the west, if they tried.

EDIT - I can't count to 82..

Last edited: