[Game] Mavericks @ Kings 11/30 7PM PST 10PM EST

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
DMC is listed as questionable... SMH
wow

the whole season is being trashed by a couple of strains

It goes on too much longer it won't matter if he comes back or not, and with potentially huge consequences for everyone from Rondo, to Karl, to Vlade to Ben and to Cousins himself.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
wow

the whole season is being trashed by a couple of strains

It goes on too much longer it won't matter if he comes back or not, and with potentially huge consequences for everyone from Rondo, to Karl, to Vlade to Ben and to Cousins himself.
And the elephant in the room is are these injuries related to the use of him. These types of injuries are new to him.

In 10/11, played 81 of 82
In 11/12, played 64 of 66
In 12/13, played 75 of 82 and never missed more than two consecutive games
In 13/14, played 71 of 82 and missed 6 straight to an ankle sprain
In 14/15, played 59 of 82 where 10 were due to the virus, then out the last 6
In 15/16, already missed 8 of 18

Up until the virus, had played in

306 of 327 career games(93%). Missed only 21 games in his first 327.

29 of 48 under Karl(60%). Missed 19 of his last 48.

I for one see a red flag here.

A huge body like that is not meant to be pushed for 35-40 mins a game at the fastest pace in the league. Cuz is a fierce competitor and will always try to fight thru and play but I expect these types of injuries to continue so long as George mandates this furious pace.

I honestly don't think the pace is causing these injuries. Maybe all the flailing around he does after a foul call :) But seriously, he is a young man. He needs to get in better shape if running up and down the court are causing him injuries. Basketball is all about running up and down the court. Lets hope that this recent spree of injuries is an outlier, and that he has a relatively healthy rest of the season. Because if he doesn't play 85-90% of the remaining games effectively, the chances of a .500 season will fall by the wayside.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
A huge body like that is not meant to be pushed for 35-40 mins a game at the fastest pace in the league. Cuz is a fierce competitor and will always try to fight thru and play but I expect these types of injuries to continue so long as George mandates this furious pace.
Well, 32.9 minutes. At a furious pace of 103% of league average pace, so (...does the math...) Cousins has gone up and down the court 23 more times this year than he would have in the same minutes on a league-average team. That's 2.3 times per game! It's wearing him out!

I honestly don't think the pace is causing these injuries. Maybe all the flailing around he does after a foul call :) But seriously, he is a young man. He needs to get in better shape if running up and down the court are causing him injuries. Basketball is all about running up and down the court. Lets hope that this recent spree of injuries is an outlier, and that he has a relatively healthy rest of the season. Because if he doesn't play 85-90% of the remaining games effectively, the chances of a .500 season will fall by the wayside.
Speed and weight are both factors on injury. I suspect that the drives from the three point line are a much higher risk for injury (change of direction, collisions at speed) than simply running up and down the floor.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, 32.9 minutes. At a furious pace of 103% of league average pace, so (...does the math...) Cousins has gone up and down the court 23 more times this year than he would have in the same minutes on a league-average team. That's 2.3 times per game! It's wearing him out!
Those pennies add up. Something about a death by a thousand cuts...

gunks

Hall of Famer
Speed and weight are both factors on injury. I suspect that the drives from the three point line are a much higher risk for injury (change of direction, collisions at speed) than simply running up and down the floor.
Yup.

Pace will F up our system and our star.

But whatever, Karl and Vivek think it's fun and exciting.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Absolutely. Sudden starts will hurt the achilles. All it takes is one burst of energy and the achilles is strained. It is not the number of times he runs up and down the court. If distance were a factor, marathon runners would be in deep trouble.

I am smack dab on the fence as to whether the type of basketball Karl wants is hurting Cuz. I suspect his desire to bust his butt is another contributing factor. I can't believe someone thinks he is not in shape. I doubt that this is a fact but I would ask, "how do you know?"

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yup. It's not so much how many trips up and down the floor Cuz or this team makes, it's more where he's attacking from under Karl and the demands that puts on a body like his.

In the modern NBA there's more lower extremity issues than ever before. Game is faster, players more athletic, bodies are breaking down. ACL injuries have shot up. More and more guards are seeing lower body injuries take a serious toll on their careers. And Karl's asking Cuz to play in a somewhat similar manner by attacking off the dribble constantly from outside. Karl's asking Cuz to attack more as a guard would.

I'd be more interested in stats for how many times Cuz has attacked from 23 ft out and compare that to the rest of the league. And I'd wager there's no one with a body type anything similar to his who's done that anywhere near as many times. Just a different stress on the body to attack off 1-2 dribbles than what Cuz is regularly doing.

Though the season is almost at the quarter point and many games are still left in the schedule to be played I'm slowly losing hope for the Kings to finish at .500 (give or take a few games). I never had them going to the playoffs this season. For every step forward the Kings take (a win) they take three steps back (losses). DMC's missed games and especially lack of team defense equates to losses. Karl's system does not work with the players we have. :confused: I just don't think the players will figure it out in time.

I don't mean to come off as someone who only watches the "good" games, but I don't watch any game if Cousins isn't playing (I literally mean this as not a single one for the last 2+ years). We just flat out suck without him and I cannot bring myself to watch Rudy jack up 20+ shots. Can't do it, even with Rondo's brilliance this season. I hope he plays tonight because our season is in jeopardy. Next 10 or so games will make or break us.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think if we are going to argue that the current offense (Karl's or Boogie's, not sure who is the main instigator - he loves taking jumpers) is potentially detrimental to Cousins' health, then we ought to give it a different label than "pace" which actually has a specific connotation that nobody now seems to think is the actual problem.

Dude! Are you serious? Karl is running the Kings cornerstone into the ground.