Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14254137p-15069828c.html

Marty Mac's World: Maloofs' handling of decision was gutless
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, May 11, 2006

For a family that prides itself and promotes itself as being classy and caring about its employees, the Maloofs should be ashamed of the gutless way in which they handled the decision not to bring back Kings coach Rick Adelman.

Maybe it's one of the perks of having millions of dollars and always running things, but the Maloofs put Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie in the uncomfortable position of doing their dirty work.

It wasn't Petrie who decided against bringing back Adelman and his coaching staff. It was the Maloofs. And so, it should have been them, or at least one of them, to face the media. Who knows, maybe they could have even told the truth.

When Joe Maloof talked on the telephone to Adelman on Monday afternoon during a five-minute conversation, the boss could have told him, "Rick, we're not going to re-sign you. Thank you for your hard work."

Forget that garbage about not having known what they were going to do. They knew for the longest they didn't want to bring Adelman back. Unless, of course, a surprising playoff run had forced their hands to do what they really didn't want to do.

And then, once Joe and Gavin talked, and decided not to bring back Adelman, wouldn't a conference call among the three been what classy and caring owners should have orchestrated? Or even better, these are two guys who get on charter planes in a minute to appear on talk shows, so they certainly could have made arrangements in their schedules to get away for less than a day.

But no, they stepped away and had Petrie make the phone call.

The Maloofs are the owners and can do what they want. Nonetheless, there are ways to handle your business, and these dudes punked out big-time.

They were as cowardly as the Lion in "The Wizard of Oz" without the long tails to wipe their eyes.

It becomes clearer and clearer that the Maloofs are fans/owners with millions of bucks and feeling themselves. They forced the move to trade for Ron Artest, and that has turned out well - so far. But Artest shot 38 percent from the field (33 percent from three-point range). He attempted more than five three-pointers a game among his 16 field-goal attempts. Yet, you read Joe Maloof talking about Ron-Ron's playoff performance, and you'd swear MJ circa 1992 were here.

In the past, Artest has compared himself to Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, and offensively, that couldn't be further from the truth. And the Maloofs certainly had better hire a replacement - Mario Elie, Eddie Jordan - who can get Artest to realistically assess his strengths and weaknesses, and only then will he become more coachable.

Regardless of what the Maloofs feel about Adelman's coaching methods, in the end this decision was about personalities. Generally speaking, the Maloofs didn't care for Adelman and his manner of going about his job and then going home. They didn't hire him, and he wasn't their type of coach or person.

Adelman is not a schmoozer. He's a private man who generally doesn't hang out with anyone but his family. And, in this instance, that hurt him.

And it's not as if he was without responsibility here. Adelman is a funny, sometimes hilarious dude with a sense of humor as biting as the January wind in Chicago. But it's not his personality to reveal that or himself to many people.

Moreover, he can be gruff and intimidating to those who don't know him. He made it a point of reading the names of many of the people he worked with during his eight seasons with the Kings. I know, for a fact, that many of those people were uncomfortable with the way he dealt with them and were scared to death to speak up for themselves.

Yet, bring his wife, Mary Kay, one of the world's nicest people, and those people would tell you Adelman was a changed man. Maybe the coach should have put her on the phone with Joe Maloof, and she might have brought the best out of him, too.

About the writer: The Bee's Martin McNeal can be reached at mmcneal@sacbee.com.

VF21 said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14254137p-15069828c.html

Marty Mac's World: Maloofs' handling of decision was gutless
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, May 11, 2006

For a family that prides itself and promotes itself as being classy and caring about its employees, the Maloofs should be ashamed of the gutless way in which they handled the decision not to bring back Kings coach Rick Adelman.

Maybe it's one of the perks of having millions of dollars and always running things, but the Maloofs put Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie in the uncomfortable position of doing their dirty work.

It wasn't Petrie who decided against bringing back Adelman and his coaching staff. It was the Maloofs. And so, it should have been them, or at least one of them, to face the media. Who knows, maybe they could have even told the truth.

When Joe Maloof talked on the telephone to Adelman on Monday afternoon during a five-minute conversation, the boss could have told him, "Rick, we're not going to re-sign you. Thank you for your hard work."

Forget that garbage about not having known what they were going to do. They knew for the longest they didn't want to bring Adelman back. Unless, of course, a surprising playoff run had forced their hands to do what they really didn't want to do.

And then, once Joe and Gavin talked, and decided not to bring back Adelman, wouldn't a conference call among the three been what classy and caring owners should have orchestrated? Or even better, these are two guys who get on charter planes in a minute to appear on talk shows, so they certainly could have made arrangements in their schedules to get away for less than a day.

But no, they stepped away and had Petrie make the phone call.

The Maloofs are the owners and can do what they want. Nonetheless, there are ways to handle your business, and these dudes punked out big-time.

They were as cowardly as the Lion in "The Wizard of Oz" without the long tails to wipe their eyes.

It becomes clearer and clearer that the Maloofs are fans/owners with millions of bucks and feeling themselves. They forced the move to trade for Ron Artest, and that has turned out well - so far. But Artest shot 38 percent from the field (33 percent from three-point range). He attempted more than five three-pointers a game among his 16 field-goal attempts. Yet, you read Joe Maloof talking about Ron-Ron's playoff performance, and you'd swear MJ circa 1992 were here.

In the past, Artest has compared himself to Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, and offensively, that couldn't be further from the truth. And the Maloofs certainly had better hire a replacement - Mario Elie, Eddie Jordan - who can get Artest to realistically assess his strengths and weaknesses, and only then will he become more coachable.

Regardless of what the Maloofs feel about Adelman's coaching methods, in the end this decision was about personalities. Generally speaking, the Maloofs didn't care for Adelman and his manner of going about his job and then going home. They didn't hire him, and he wasn't their type of coach or person.

Adelman is not a schmoozer. He's a private man who generally doesn't hang out with anyone but his family. And, in this instance, that hurt him.

And it's not as if he was without responsibility here. Adelman is a funny, sometimes hilarious dude with a sense of humor as biting as the January wind in Chicago. But it's not his personality to reveal that or himself to many people.

Moreover, he can be gruff and intimidating to those who don't know him. He made it a point of reading the names of many of the people he worked with during his eight seasons with the Kings. I know, for a fact, that many of those people were uncomfortable with the way he dealt with them and were scared to death to speak up for themselves.

Yet, bring his wife, Mary Kay, one of the world's nicest people, and those people would tell you Adelman was a changed man. Maybe the coach should have put her on the phone with Joe Maloof, and she might have brought the best out of him, too.

About the writer: The Bee's Martin McNeal can be reached at mmcneal@sacbee.com.
if marty uses the word "dude" one more time in an article, i'm going to personally strangle the life out of him.

aside from that, this is a carbon copy of voison's article this morning, albeit more poorly written, though with a little less spin. the maloofs did handle the letting-go of adelman very very poorly. i'm already tired of all the "recluse adelman" talk. who cares if he's a private man? no fan of the kings does, i'll guarantee that. the kings have a bigger picture to deal with. if the maloofs are serious about winning a championship, this kinda **** wouldn't matter. but no, they're all vegas, baby. :rolleyes:

Just because the Maloof's have Mega $ doesn't mean they have class. Class is not something that can be bought. I can't believe they didn't have the balls to sit down with RA one on one.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Articles like this, while having a lot of truth to them, nonetheless begin to make me a little nervous.

Here you are in a middle of a push to get a new arena, KNOWING that the Maloofs have at least begun to consider other locations for the team, and you have one of the local newspapers blasting out an article title calling the Maloofs gutless. Yikes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, I disagree. What they did WAS gutless. Even if the Bee didn't say it, it's still pretty much the talk of the town on all the TV stations, radio, etc. Right now, the emperor has no clothes. I'm personally glad the local press isn't trying to convince people otherwise.

I still think something went on between the Maloofs and Adelman during that original phone conversation. Im not sold on anyone. Its the past. Lets move on people. Jeez.

Normally I don't subscribe to such things...but I was just thinking...what if they WANT Kings fans to get mad at them? When was the last time one of the team favorites was shipped away in a civil and respecful manner on the Maloofs part?

I'm still reserving final judgement for when we find out who the replacement is.

If someone works for you for 8 years and in the end you don't have gut to tell him that it's over and thank him for everything he done for you-then you are real COWARD!IMHO,those guys don't have(or have verry little) emotions.First Webber,than Peja,now Rick...that is so sad.

KingCookie said:
Normally I don't subscribe to such things...but I was just thinking...what if they WANT Kings fans to get mad at them? When was the last time one of the team favorites was shipped away in a civil and respecful manner on the Maloofs part?

I'm still reserving final judgement for when we find out who the replacement is.
That is exactly what I have been preaching for the past year. Very little happens accidently in the world of big money and politics.

KingCookie said:

Wow. Some Kings fans have got quite "the world revolves around me" thinking. If the Maloofs want to pack up and go, they would just do it and they could give a flying leap about Sactown and Kings fans. There are many cities in this country that would welcome a quality NBA team.

coolhandluke said:
Wow. Some Kings fans have got quite "the world revolves around me" thinking. If the Maloofs want to pack up and go, they would just do it and they could give a flying leap about Sactown and Kings fans. There are many cities in this country that would welcome a quality NBA team.
So you say. I say the Maloofs are more concerned about images than most people. They live and breathe in a world of plastic images. They also have huge egos. The NBA spends an inordinate amount of time portraying soapy and contrived images. Basketball players essentially learning to read with elementary school kids. Basketball players painting fences and raking leaves. Geez, I have to stop because I am making myself ill with these images.

No one wants to be remembered at the Georgia Frontieri of Sacramento.

VF21 said:
Sorry, I disagree. What they did WAS gutless. Even if the Bee didn't say it, it's still pretty much the talk of the town on all the TV stations, radio, etc. Right now, the emperor has no clothes. I'm personally glad the local press isn't trying to convince people otherwise.
I aggree I am afraid we might see Petrie go next:(

KingCookie said:

Yes... I'm sure their master plan is to get everyone to hate them, so we'll say "Get outta town, and take your stinkin' Kings team with ya!"

I think it's much more likely that Ryle just has some incriminating photos of the Maloofs.
~~

Settle down now...

I don't even believe it, myself. It was just my brain farting out a thought.

All I was saying is it makes it 10x easier for them to leave if they upset the locals and both parties can say it was a "mutual agreement"...if they left otherwise, they would forever be remembered as the owners that ditched the great fans in Sacramento that did nothing but support them. Long-term images are at stake here, as well.

That said, Marty Mac is a horrible writer. Dude.

When you get fired the president of the company doesn't do it, unless you are the Vice President. In this case the Vice President is the GM. The GM is The head coaches immediate supervisor. While the decision may come from above the supervisor will hand down the information. Petrie I'm sure made it clear it wasn't his decision. While I think the Maloofs Petrie and Adelman should have all sat down, or had a phone call about it, so they could express their gratitude, but at the same time let him no his services were no longer needed, well that's not my decision.

At times like these I see how fans *including myself* and media are WAY to hyper sensitive at times. We all just need to let it go. He's gone guys. Nothing we can do. You don't have to agree with how it was done, you're not a part owner.

I personally feel the Maloofs coulda, shoulda handled this differently. Adelman, for many reasons, deserved to hear it from the horse's mouth and not from Petrie under the facade of protocol. I think most of us get that.

What I've learned in my own experience is that quite often there is no "good" way to handle situations like this. Depending on perspective, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Even so, I have a real hard time understanding and rationalizing how the Maloofs let this come down.

The Maloofs made their decision to let go of a good coach who couldn't win the big one after 8 seasons. The manner in which they carried out their decision is not going to sit right with everyone. Such is life. Why do they have to run to the media - just because everyone else does?

While yes from the outside and from one point of view it looks gutless. However, we, as fans and media do not, I repeat, do not know the whole story and may never know the full story. Therefor I shall conclude that we can not and should not fully judge one side or the other for what transpired. Unfortunately they don't teach objective thinking in classrooms anymore.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kingsroots said:
While yes from the outside and from one point of view it looks gutless. However, we, as fans and media do not, I repeat, do not know the whole story and may never know the full story. Therefor I shall conclude that we can not and should not fully judge one side or the other for what transpired. Unfortunately they don't teach objective thinking in classrooms anymore.
You don't have to know the whole story to know that the "mutual decision" comment made by Joe was a lie. You don't have to know the whole story to know that Adelman was not accorded the respect he was due. You don't have to know the whole story to know that something smells rotten.

If your take is that no one should say anything because they don't have all the facts, then I submit the last place you should be visiting is a sports message board.

As far as your final comment goes ... perception is everything.

I respect your posts VF and I generally agree whith a lot of what you say. You are right perception is very important while trying to decipher through the garbage. It's just, I was always taught to save judgment for a later date when all facts are out, that's all.

My impression was that the "mutual decision" comment was just Petrie doing what Petrie does well... curving the truth to make it sound nice for all parties. Depending on how you look at it, it is accurate. Adelman himself said basically that.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Kingsroots said:
I respect your posts VF and I generally agree whith a lot of what you say. You are right perception is very important while trying to decipher through the garbage. It's just, I was always taught to save judgment for a later date when all facts are out, that's all.
I'm just wondering what facts are missing?

Public statements by the team are removed from the website after the former employee says he wanted to discuss staying and wasn't given the time of day - contrary to the removed statements. Who do you think is lying?

What is it you need to know that you do not at this time?

Its not what I need to know, its what I don't know. Just because we have heard Adelman's side to everything doesn't mean squat to me. And that does not mean that the Maloofs have to publically respond either. Why should they have to. Also, I hope you don't believe that RA didn't have just a miniature axe to grind after what happened last summer with the Phil Jackson thing. Which may I also add was perfectly justified on the Maloof's part. Going after a coach with 9 championships is perfectly fine if you ask me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kingsroots said:
Marty Mac was the beat writer for the Kings for a long time. He traveled with the team, he was privvy to a lot of stuff most of us wouldn't ever see or hear.

I don't think he would make a statement like that unless he really believed it and I think he got enough information from "reliable sources" to confirm what happened as opposed to what was being put forth by Maloof Sports.

Something like this is like Watergate. You may never know ALL the facts. You just have to consider the source and consider why people would say something. It makes sense the Maloofs would try and spin something. It doesn't make sense that Marty would come out and make allegations that could easily be refuted if they were false.

Again, what bothers me is if the Maloofs are dishonest about something like this - that happens every day in this type of business - what else will they spin for their own purposes? I would hate to see this happen in the middle of arena negotiations. That could be disastrous for them, for the Kings, and for us - the fans.

If they're called to task now, perhaps they'll mend their ways. I don't know but they should certainly receive the flak for mishandling this whole thing.

And thank you, BTW, for the kind words. If I sound angry or frustrated, it's not at any one poster. It's because we're being treated as little children who couldn't possibly be expected to understand the workings of big business. Much like "Oh, that's okay, little lady. Don't worry your pretty head over business. Just accept our word...even if it's a bald-faced lie."

:)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kingsroots said:
Its not what I need to know, its what I don't know. Just because we have heard Adelman's side to everything doesn't mean squat to me.
There is your first mistake Mr. Objective. That's half the objective story.

Kingsroots said:
And that does not mean that the Maloofs have to publically respond either.
They already have. Indeed THEIR version came out first. And they have continued filing in more B.S. to every reporter who has asked them a question.

Kingsroots said:
Also, I hope you don't believe that RA didn't have just a miniature axe to grind after what happened last summer with the Phil Jackson thing.
Of what possible relevance? Do you seriosuly think he took time out to grind his axe in the 5 minute conversation in which he told the Maloofs he'd be willing to come back? That would be interesting strategy.

Kingsroots said:
Which may I also add was perfectly justified on the Maloof's part. Going after a coach with 9 championships is perfectly fine if you ask me.
Going after him behind the back of a long time high ranking employee -- one of the very first they hired as owners in fact -- without even a phone call AFTER the local media got wind of it, was not. Slimy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.