Marshon Brooks

dude12

Hall of Famer
Saw a tweet from Jonathan Santiago that Sacramento is trying to add Brooks to the Summer League roster. Nothing solid yet as other teams are also trying to get him as well. I'd take a flyer on him. I've seen him have some good moments a few years ago. Hasn't really had an opportunity lately. If we get him that's like a dozen SGs on the Summer League roster. Also Jared Cunningham is on the roster....I'm guessing we are going to run a 3 guard offense in Vegas.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't care if they add him to the summer league roster, I suppose we need bodies. However, I don't want to see him near our team, he doesn't do much but jack up shots. We have plenty of that. I sure would love to see any kind of defense brought in. Kane, Young are still out there, why not give them a shot?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe there is a trade coming up in which we send a sg somewhere
My thoughts exactly. I remember stumbling across Brooks a few years ago when he played at Providence. I watched the game to see someone on the other team, and Brooks ended up catching my eye. He was the best player on the court that day. He should be a better defensive player than he is, but he was a good shooter in college, and had no trouble creating his own shot. Would be a decent backup behind Stauskas if indeed we ended up trading McLemore.

Entity

Hall of Famer
My thoughts exactly. I remember stumbling across Brooks a few years ago when he played at Providence. I watched the game to see someone on the other team, and Brooks ended up catching my eye. He was the best player on the court that day. He should be a better defensive player than he is, but he was a good shooter in college, and had no trouble creating his own shot. Would be a decent backup behind Stauskas if indeed we ended up trading McLemore.
That's what I was thinking as well.

More wailing and gnashing of teeth over summer league transactions that may or may not even happen at all. This place is unbearable sometimes.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Maybe there is a trade coming up in which we send a sg somewhere
That Ben Mac + assets to Boston for Rondo is looking very likely.
If it doesn't happen...PDA is one hell of a tease because he's making all these things look like we're going to do another blockbuster move.
If he doesn't make one more big move then it's another year in the lottery, unfortunately. Waste of Big Cuz's talent.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I got Brooks on my fantasy league in his rookie season because he reminded me a lot of Kobe. He has all the tools to be a stupendous player; however, his mentality and work rate seems rather poor which would not bode well in an environment that the Kings are trying to create. If we are to mimic the Spurs, there's no chance in hell that Brooks brings positive energy and hard work to this squad. Cousins would eat him up alive the moment he saw him slacking. Don't see it and don't like it. Just bring in Morrow for the love of God. The kid can do everything and everything we need. Plus, a hard working, an established shooter, and a solid defensive player. I'd rather pay him the extra buck if we shed some salary such as Terry, Landry or JT.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
More wailing and gnashing of teeth over summer league transactions that may or may not even happen at all. This place is unbearable sometimes.
We're just having a privite conversation, well, maybe not so privite, to kill the time until something of significance happens. If you not interested, fine, then wander down the hall to a different conversation.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I got Brooks on my fantasy league in his rookie season because he reminded me a lot of Kobe. He has all the tools to be a stupendous player; however, his mentality and work rate seems rather poor which would not bode well in an environment that the Kings are trying to create. If we are to mimic the Spurs, there's no chance in hell that Brooks brings positive energy and hard work to this squad. Cousins would eat him up alive the moment he saw him slacking. Don't see it and don't like it. Just bring in Morrow for the love of God. The kid can do everything and everything we need. Plus, a hard working, an established shooter, and a solid defensive player. I'd rather pay him the extra buck if we shed some salary such as Terry, Landry or JT.
Well if my choice is between Morrow and Brooks, I'll take Morrow, but that's not the choice. As a matter of fact, at the moment we have no commitment from Brooks to play on our summer league team. Personally, I'm not going to get myself all in a tizzy over inviting a player to play on our summer league team. If he does, fine! Well get a chance to see if we want to invite him to training camp. If not, fine again. It means nothing to be invited to play on a summer league team, other than an opportunity for a player to maybe get his foot in the door a little. The percentage of non roster players that end up making the parent club is very small.

I hope we see him in training camp and I hope that he shows more defense, because from what I was hearing he has the offensive skills, but doesn't show effort on the defensive end.

My take on Brooks from summer league: offensively talented as a scorer (well known), capable of playing D, a low BBIQ. He is one of those people who seems to giveth and taketh away in equal measure on the offensive end. I can handle a score first point guard coming off the end of the bench, but our team really can't handle any more low BBIQ players; particularly at the point. I say no.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
My take on Brooks from summer league: offensively talented as a scorer (well known), capable of playing D, a low BBIQ. He is one of those people who seems to giveth and taketh away in equal measure on the offensive end. I can handle a score first point guard coming off the end of the bench, but our team really can't handle any more low BBIQ players; particularly at the point. I say no.
Well, probably the first problem would be that he's not a PG. :)

SG. And he does like to shoot.

K

KingMilz

There is zero reason not to take him on the regular season squad, he's a great creator one on one and we literally have nothing in terms of that ability outside of Cousins/Gay and some Styleskas. Dude can be a very solid 6th man who can blow games apart in a single quarter. I way rather have someone like Brooks leading the bench scoring unit than what we had like Thornton and company.

I literally can't see any reason we would not pick him up at a cheap price, kids talented and has something none of the other guards on the roster have.

Have not been impressed with Brooks, he is as advertised - an unapologetic gunner. The problem is that he dominates the ball in a way that you don't want your role player to do, he takes shots that you don't want a role player to take, and he isn't that good from outside the arc. He is like Marcus Thornton... but not as good. It's not hard to see why he was passed from team to team. With that said, if your team wants a guy they can send out in garbage time and jacks up a lot of shots, Brooks is the perfect guy. Even if he makes the team, hard to see him beating out Ben and Nik, so basically he is at best a third string SG.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Have not been impressed with Brooks, he is as advertised - an unapologetic gunner. The problem is that he dominates the ball in a way that you don't want your role player to do, he takes shots that you don't want a role player to take, and he isn't that good from outside the arc. He is like Marcus Thornton... but not as good. It's not hard to see why he was passed from team to team. With that said, if your team wants a guy they can send out in garbage time and jacks up a lot of shots, Brooks is the perfect guy. Even if he makes the team, hard to see him beating out Ben and Nik, so basically he is at best a third string SG.
I think everyone understands that he would be insurance in case Ben and Nik don't perform and he would also be a 5th guard....has enough handles that he could be a combo guard off the bench to pour in points. We could use him.

I expect both Ben and Nik to play of this year with both having good moments but also struggling. Nik will struggle, it's inevitable...not quite strong enough yet, defense is better than I thought it would be in SL but he's a poor defender. I'm under no illusions that Nik will walk right in and perform as a NBA caliber SG on a nightly basis. We will want insurance....would love for one of Ben or Nik to play well in every game but hope is not a plan. Brooks can score and as a5th guard or instant offense guy, he may fit that bill.

My other thought is that, whether we sign Brooks or not, we do need a 5th guard. I also expect Collison and Ray to play together at times.....inevitable if they are our 2 best guards or they move one of the SG's to SF in certain matchups. So maybe a 3rd PG would be the answer....Ra'Shad James or J Cunningham or some available minimum salary vet or a guy we acquire as a bit piece in a trade.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
you won't find many more talented and dynamic players to stash as a 5th guard. To have a guy at that spot who might be able to come in and give you a jolt, or replace lost scoring if guys are injured, is a bonus. I think he's a lot more questionable as an actual rotation guy, because what system exactly is he going to fit into. But for a cheap 5th guard? I doubt many teams have a more talented one.

K

KingMilz

I don't mind him taking/creating tough shots if he's a sixth man every team needs one of those guys. He's way more talented than Empty as well.

I don't mind him taking/creating tough shots if he's a sixth man every team needs one of those guys. He's way more talented than Empty as well.
Even the Sixth Man (and Brooks is definitely not first choice for that role) has to operate within the confine of the offense, just recall how Marcus Thornton struggled in that role, and I consider Thornton to be a superior offensive player to Brooks. Brooks is not good enough a 3pt shooter to really crack the rotation in a contending team imo (which we are obviously not) but he probably has a chance on the Kings, which speaks volume about our youth and general lack of talent.

As a fifth guard, third string SG, and likely 10th to 13th man, sure Brooks is alright and I have no problem putting him in that role. Who knows, maybe he improves on his shooting/defense then surprise me and the league.

K

KingMilz

Even the Sixth Man (and Brooks is definitely not first choice for that role) has to operate within the confine of the offense, just recall how Marcus Thornton struggled in that role, and I consider Thornton to be a superior offensive player to Brooks. Brooks is not good enough a 3pt shooter to really crack the rotation in a contending team imo (which we are obviously not) but he probably has a chance on the Kings, which speaks volume about our youth and general lack of talent.

As a fifth guard, third string SG, and likely 10th to 13th man, sure Brooks is alright and I have no problem putting him in that role. Who knows, maybe he improves on his shooting/defense then surprise me and the league.

Thornton struggled for 2 reasons one he's a quitter and he's terrible at creating for himself. Who else on the roster is capable of being a scoring 6th man I just don't see anyone.