Malone fired

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Please, hold your emotional bias there.

If Malone did everything right, we wouldn't be 11-13 now. We all know the coach made some terrible mistakes which he seems to repeat again and again and especially during those games we should have won. If we are 14-10 now, coach Malone will still be coaching this team. Vivek was very clear the team will be graded based on win-loss this season. We cannot wait until we are 11-30 when all hope is lost. Something has to be done and firing an inexperienced coach (who puts the ball on a rookie at a crucial time to win a game) is a good start.
There's a hell of a big difference between 11-13 and 11-30 and you know it.

It's not emotional bias, it's realistic expectations. I didn't mean to say he was a perfect coach; who is their first time on the sideline? What I meant is that he did his homework, he got along with the players, he got this group playing like a team that other teams knew they had to take seriously. He still had some things to work on, but for a young coach learning the ropes he did nothing to deserve being fired 24 games into his second season with the team doing better than it has in years. It seems like his only sin was refusing to implement a basketball strategy he didn't agree with. Anyone calling a guy to the floor for failing to come up with a winning lineup using a bunch of career journeymen, castoffs, and a rookie is seriously deluded.

PDA (a first time GM) wants to say that he knows we should be doing better with Rudy Gay, Darren Collison, Reggie Evans, Jason Thompson, Ramon Sessions, Derrick Williams, Ben McLemore and Nik Stauskas? Who is he kidding? McLemore has grown immensely in 106 games under Malone. Gay, Cousins, and Collison are playing the best basketball of their careers. And we've played better than our record indicates this season. Pop got it exactly right -- building a system from the ground up takes time. Malone was already getting results sooner than I would have expected. But we don't have owners who understand that building a winning team is a process and developing a young coach is a process and you stick with it because the reward down the line for patience and consistency is an organization that demands respect. Instead we have meddling amateurs who only understand raw data and quarterly reports.

Last edited:
I was never a fan of Malone's lineups, rotations or offensive sets. Although, He was the only coach to get Cousins playing smart basketball and I think that is sorely over looked in this firing process.
Cousins is already 24 years old. He is more matured now, more experienced, and had learned a lot on his experience playing for the team USA.

I know we can give a little bit of credit to Malone for Cousins development. But that is not his only job as a coach. Also, let us not forget that Cousins should be given most of the credit for his own improvement.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Cousins is already 24 years old. He is more matured now, more experienced, and had learned a lot on his experience playing for the team USA.

I know we can give a little bit of credit to Malone for Cousins development. But that is not his only job as a coach. Also, let us not forget that Cousins should be given most of the credit for his own improvement.

...and Malone should be given most of the blame for his prolonged illness.

No brainer.:rolleyes:

Pop has to say what is politically correct. You don't put down someone who is down already.

Can you imagine any coach saying: "Good for him he got fired because he cannot make his team win games they are supposed to win".
Your anti-Malone bias really shines through in this post.

Pop is saying that in order to be successful the ownership needs to be patient and not meddle....he's taking a shot at our Ownership group...which is appropriately getting ripped from every direction.

The only thing that makes sense is that Karl is going to be our coach with-in the month...but even if that is the case, the FO has mismanaged this in the worst possible way.

Everyone knows that the reason why they fired Malone today is because if they did have a deal with Karl to start at the beginning of next year they couldn't afford to fire Malone after he starts winning games again with Cousin's return...so they fire him now to prevent him from having a chance to go on an expecting winning streak....because then well...it looks even worse.

My guess is that they saw how tough our opening schedule was and they expected Malone to fail. That would then give them the ability to have his lead assistant take over and would provide a smoother path to bringing in Karl mid-season.
Unfortunately for them...the team really played well for Malone and Cousins took another major leap...and they found themselves in a position that would paint them in a horrible light if they wanted to pursue their agenda in getting Karl mid-season.

It's been embarrassing being a Sacramento Kings fan today.

something about vivek just irks me.... his flashy style of dress, tries cling on to his youth, the surfs up sign, every time he has a press conference he just comes off so corny. Nik Rocks!!!!!!!

Now here's a thought, would Ron Burkle be meddling with our team?

I agree, the patronizing banter I find extremely offensive. It insults the serious fans, and it's meaningless to casual fans.
Yeah, on top of everything else and I was just thinking about this in the gym, is the way PDA repeatedly attempts to speak for the fanbase.

I really have no idea where he got the idea this fanbase wants an up-tempo team. I've never see Kings fans anywhere campaigning for that. What's worse is the misrepresentation of our golden era and him acting like we liked that team because they were an up-tempo, up and down team. It's ludicrous. The team became more popular when we traded the up and down and exciting JWill for Bibby, who was much more of a half court player. We loved that team because it was incredibly balanced, shooters, post threats, good movement, good defense, great passing, BJax doing his thing off the bench. We don't have anywhere near the talent or balance that team had and that is the biggest issue.

The balls this guy has, to come to a new city, turn the franchise upside down and within less than two years of being here, telling us what we want in our team. He couldn't be more wrong. He's completely miscalculated and misjudged this fanbase and what we want. I've actually never seen a new GM come in and keep telling that city what it is they want to see.

This btw, is why I think reports of him reading stuff online is bogus. If he does read, he processes what he wants to process and ignores the rest. There's no way he reads this forum and others and comes away thinking anything aside from what most wanted are a 3rd big, better defenders and better 3pt shooters, 3&D guys. Strengthen the bench. Has anyone, anywhere said we need to run more? That that's our problem? I just don't know who the hell he thinks he's speaking to or for. Does he think we're that dumb?

The arrogance of this weasel.

No brainer.:rolleyes:

Pop has to say what is politically correct. You don't put down someone who is down already.

Can you imagine any coach saying: "Good for him he got fired because he cannot make his team win games they are supposed to win".
What the hell are you talking about if you think malone was fired for W/L than I don't know what to tell you unless you're one of the few who thinks we should have a top record. Let me guess you think like Mullins/vevik and think a front court of Hollins/JT should be a winning formula. What a joke.

Everyone knows that the reason why they fired Malone today is because if they did have a deal with Karl to start at the beginning of next year they couldn't afford to fire Malone after he starts winning games again with Cousin's return...so they fire him now to prevent him from having a chance to go on an expecting winning streak....because then well...it looks even worse.

My guess is that they saw how tough our opening schedule was and they expected Malone to fail. That would then give them the ability to have his lead assistant take over and would provide a smoother path to bringing in Karl mid-season.
Unfortunately for them...the team really played well for Malone and Cousins took another major leap...and they found themselves in a position that would paint them in a horrible light if they wanted to pursue their agenda in getting Karl mid-season.

It's been embarrassing being a Sacramento Kings fan today.
The worst part about it?

The willingness and intent to throw away this season, while our owner came out during training camp and said we'd be judged on wins and losses. I cannot believe they're willing to throw this season away because they didn't have the balls to either replace Malone this summer or replace him anyway this coming summer. At least the GS ownership played out last season and had the balls to replace Jackson in the summer, not fire him before he wins 50+ so they don't take as much heat. But really, this seems like we're throwing this season away just so they can protect their interests, all the while they're telling us how much us fans want and need to see a winner now.

I have no reason to believe anything coming out of PDA's or Vivek's mouths going forward.

something about vivek just irks me.... his flashy style of dress, tries cling on to his youth, the surfs up sign, every time he has a press conference he just comes off so corny. Nik Rocks!!!!!!!
the corniness and the ridiculous ideas are definitely annoying. Nobody cares how succesfull you were with your 12 year old daughters basketball team and we sure as hell don't want you implementing those ideas into the NBA

Why is everyone here so pessimistic? Honestly, our FO wants to win, and win NOW. I think Kings fans need to be a lot more appreciative of the fact that our FO will do whatever they think is best for the franchise to be successful, no matter what it takes. I like it.
There are two ways to win.

Win enough to be a mediocre team that plays no defence, runs, makes the play offs but is never a serious contender (see Mavericks when they were bridesmaids during their Nelson coached days) OR you win with defence where it does not matter if you score 85 as long as the other team scores less than you.

Two different philosophies, a proven winner, the other a proven failure. Out owners and front office chose the one that has no success rate. This team is built for a half court offense. Both Cousins and Rudy are better suited to half court sets than the run and gun crap that this franchise is trying to shove down our throats.

Malone is the one here that had it right but the stench of Mullin and the corpse of Warriors before they were good is just killing this franchise more and more. Its precisely the reason why we are the laughing stock and will continue to be so as long as these type of decisions are getting made.

Next thing will be trading Cousins because he does not fit into the basketball philosophy that the front office and the ownership group is trying to shove down our throats.

Ladies and gentleman, we just got Maloofed!

I've never seen anyone so full of it.

And I work in corporate America.
I used to... and watching the weasel and his boss do Malone like this ripped open some wounds. Life is not a meritocracy, there are real psychos running things in most cases with sleazy motives. Maybe that's partly why I'm taking it so hard. Coach Malone was a man of honor and I loved him.

Mike Monroe‏@Monroe_SA
Pop on Malone dismissal: 'One has to hope you have ownership that's patient, non-meddling, understands what's going on and things take time'

Mike Monroe‏@Monroe_SA
More Popovich on Malone firing, finishing quote: "Apparently, he didn't have that cause if just based on coaching ability he's still there."

Those quotes say all you need to know. I hope the fans do something to show they won't tolerate a meddling owner. If I was at one of the games I would do everything to make Vivek & Co feel the pressure of the fans, boo his ass when he steps on the court. Anything to let him know I only support the team. The five guys on the court and everyone on the bench.

Everyone knew at the beginning of the season that this team didn't have the roster to make the playoffs. All the experts had us pegged to win around 35 games with this roster. The fact that Malone was getting career years from 3 of his starters, getting Ben to look like an NBA player after he came in looking lost, taking Omri and making him a solid sixth man, and our record with a tough first month schedule should tell you the direction the team was heading. Hell, even the fans who hadn't even sniffed the playoffs in 8 years were willing to be patient.

Saying that Sacramento fans want an uptempo brand of basketball is the biggest slap in the face. We don't care what style they play, we care about winning.

Last edited:
i was one of those who said he was. the response was, give them time, they're new, we're lucky to have the team in sac.
Nothing would be wrong with trying to be just like Golden State if the Kings had their own version of Steph and Klay (and didn't have Cousins). That would make sense. By the way Golden State isn't a "run and gun" team anyways they are an up-tempo team with tremendous shooters but they are not an all-out running team. The Kings don't have enough players to successfully run a true "run and gun" team so it's baffling that they even talk it about it so much. Other than Ben, Collison, and Williams who do they really have that would thrive in that system?

The big problem with Vivek and PDA is that they seem to flat out refuse to acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of their best players. Like fools they held it against Malone that he somehow saw what he had and decided to work best with that he had. When your best player is the best offensive big man in the game why the hell would you want to have a playing style that doesn't involve his strengths?

It's not like I can do anything, but the Kings had a chance to become a solid franchise under the co-leadership of Michael Malone and DeMarcus Cousins.

I have heard that the FO wants this team to be like the Spurs, so it's baffling why they would fire a young coach that has a great relationship with a young, up-and-coming-all-star player. Consider the relationship between Coach Pop and Tim Duncan: Pop can shout at Tim all he wants without remorse! Pop says so himself that coaching is an easy job because Tim Duncan don't question Pop. Because Tim doesn't question Pop, the rest of the team is inclined to not question Pop either; Malone and DeMarcus seemed to have had a similar relationship. Additionally, considering DeMarcus' attitude, it may be difficult to find another coach that can manage DeMarcus like Malone did. I would have liked to see this duo lead the Kings for 10+ years, just like (FO pay attention here!) the Spurs did. Personally, it would have been beautiful to see the two go through the ups and the downs, the successes and failures of the Kings. And they would stay with the Kings, because they got each others' backs. Instinct says they would have stayed together. Now that Malone is out, it is entirely possible to see DeMarcus leave, shaking the foundations of this franchise. Malone was as much of a cornerstone as was DeMarcus. That would have been a team I would have liked to be a fan of. Now I'm just following the Kings, and uncertain whether or not there is an identity to be a fan of.

But all of that is what could have been. The future has become unclear, even with Rudy Gay's new contract. I have a feeling that his decision hinged on the stability provided by the duo of Malone/DeMarcus -- just a guess. Now, its up to the FO to replace the possible future outlined above with another possible future -- hopefully a good one.

But if they can, please bring Malone back. It's childish to wish that, but that's really how I feel. Cue the tears.

Wah!

The balls this guy has, to come to a new city, turn the franchise upside down and within less than two years of being here, telling us what we want in our team. He couldn't be more wrong. He's completely miscalculated and misjudged this fanbase and what we want. I've actually never seen a new GM come in and keep telling that city what it is they want to see.

This btw, is why I think reports of him reading stuff online is bogus. If he does read, he processes what he wants to process and ignores the rest.
I've been in this board when posters hated our players for getting back in transition as if they have all the time in the world, then only to take and miss their favorite jumpers. As far as recently, a lot of fans in this board also hated the iso-heavy plays using Evans, Cousins, and then using Rudy Gay and IT. I cannot blame these so-called "outsiders" (who came in to rescue this team for Sacramento) if they thought that the fans want a more fast paced up-tempo type of game.

And why is it that it seems some fans see the current management as "outsiders", as if they are enemies or a threat to Sacramento?

Just like us fans they want their Kings team to win.

Can we not embrace them as our very own even if they are new and don't live in Sacramento?