Lindsey Harding named new Stockton Kings head coach. Anjali new GM

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
people gonna freak out but this is still basically an operations job and someday Vivek gonna die (even with great healthcare some mega rich people can't help themselves from doing dumb stuff according to the news today) and she will run the team so I'd say good that she's learning in stockton not with the mothership, but nepobaby whaaah.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
people gonna freak out but this is still basically an operations job and someday Vivek gonna die (even with great healthcare some mega rich people can't help themselves from doing dumb stuff according to the news today) and she will run the team so I'd say good that she's learning in stockton not with the mothership, but nepobaby whaaah.
It helps that she was already an assistant GM in Stockton last year (plus Paul Johnson got bumped up to the Sacramento Kings front office after winning G-League GM of the year last season)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It helps that she was already an assistant GM in Stockton last year (plus Paul Johnson got bumped up to the Sacramento Kings front office after winning G-League GM of the year last season)
yeah but I still see a lot of I hate the rich chatter. lol. ok. they still pass their businesses on to their kids.

I'm more curious about the coach. Is she the first female head coach in G-League (my guess is no the way the press lease was made)? Still pretty exciting and awesome for her. Who will take her spot on the bench?

I don't know if I hate it or Love it. But good for Vivek for letting his daughter learn the ropes step by step. Here is to her and the new coach success.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Harding was very receptive. It's like she knew what was going on with the players and would talk to them when they were upset, mad, etc. Hard to express but she got the players, a real ppl person. That's a huge deal.
I still think BH will be the first to cross the NBA gender coaching barrier but I have always been impressed by Coach Harding and she's coming in hot behind now. There should be some intriguing openings next season, not that either of them should take an unstable gig.

I mean, yeah, it's absolutely nepotism why she has this opportunity in the first place, but I do think this is exact right thing for the health of the club. I'd much rather have an owner with operational experience running a basketball franchise than not and I think it's pretty obvious she's being groomed to step in for Vivek at some point.

This is a GM role, not an ownership role.

A GM obviously needs to understand basketball in order to be a good GM.

Why tf is she qualified?

Unless there is a basketball mind next to her this is dumb af

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Why tf is she qualified?

She was co-GM last season. Learned all she’ll ever need to. Next up; MONTE’S THRONE.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Remember, Vivek once hired a Reno GM that hired a coach that did hockey lineup changes all the time, and may have actually used the basket-hanging strategy Anjali’s 10th grade team used to win their JV conference title. They also had Sim Bhullar rocking it.

It could always be worse.

Joking aside, honestly, isn't a G league GM pretty much a PR role anyway? I mean I guess it could be. I'm sure she'll have plenty of help.
Yeah, this is kind of my thought as well. Like, wouldn't Monte have the final say of who he wants on his developmental squad? And like which guys are playing? There's no drafting, no trading.

I imagine the Stockton GM role is more the day to day business stuff but the final decisions still rest with the big league front office and Monte. In a similar fashion to AAA, they're going to follow whatever the big league club overall direction is.

Yeah, this is kind of my thought as well. Like, wouldn't Monte have the final say of who he wants on his developmental squad? And like which guys are playing? There's no drafting, no trading.

I imagine the Stockton GM role is more the day to day business stuff but the final decisions still rest with the big league front office and Monte. In a similar fashion to AAA, they're going to follow whatever the big league club overall direction is.
Eh, whatever. Hope that's true

Nobody should be surprised or shocked by any of this.

Harding was a finalist for the Stockton gig when Bobby Jackson got it. Odds were that it was her turn now.

As for Anjali, we already know Vivek subscribes to nepotism. Maybe she’s partially qualified, perhaps she’s not. But make no mistake, she wouldn’t have this job or the last one if not for being Vivek’s daughter. There’s no other way to spin it.

Harding, on the other hand, does have vast experience in the sport and put in a lot of time to work her way up the player development/coaching ladder the past 5+ years. No nepotism there.

We’ll see how it all works out.

I mean, yeah, it's absolutely nepotism why she has this opportunity in the first place, but I do think this is exact right thing for the health of the club. I'd much rather have an owner with operational experience running a basketball franchise than not and I think it's pretty obvious she's being groomed to step in for Vivek at some point.
If it absolutely must happen, then, yes, the operational experience is a big plus.

Hopefully she ends up with comparable experience to Jeannie Buss before she eventually took over the LAL.

Good for NH. The GM thing is not as impressive, but I guess she learns on the job in Stockton. Pretty lame to have her riding NH back on some women's lib promotion that she didn't earn.

Why tf is she qualified?

She isn't qualified to be a high school freshman coach, let alone be the GM for a pro basketball team.

Anjali is the third woman to be named GM of a Gleague team. All three women were 30 or younger. The second woman got her start selling tickets for the Kings in the Malone era. Anjali now has one year of hands on experience ( a successful year team wise) and several years being around a professional sports team. Considering her dad went to MIT and Harvard she is probably intelligent. It’s a good opportunity for her and really has no impact on the Kings.

That's great! Lindsey has been in front of the bench for a couple of years, she'll learn so much with Stockton and will only help her become a highly qualified candidate for a head coaching job down the line, if there's a desire.