LeBron James may have a planet-sized ego, BUT...

Are you going to watch the LeBron James special?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Inspired, of course, by this thread; created for the purpose of adding a poll:

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would defend LeBron James on the basis of whether or not he has a tremendous ego; even his biggest fans will concede that. And, it's beyond egotistical that he would negotiate a one-hour special on ESPN to announce what team he's going to sign with.

That being said... there ain't **** else on TV tomorrow night in that timeslot. You gonna watch?

The only reason I would watch is to see what the **** he needs an hour for to say he is staying in Cleveland or the off chance that he goes to Miami...

I went ahead and said yes. Even though it will be a waste of an hour of my life. Eh... If I get lucky something else will pop up.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
My computer will be occupied by the Silver Stars/Lynx game; if that were on TV, I'd watch that instead... But, it's not. And my TV will be on, anyway so, what the hell?

Maybe if he switched things up and made the announcement right at the top of the show. Then for the remainder of the hour, LJ and his posse execute an elaborately choreographed victory dance.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I expect them to milk the announcement through the first fifteen minutes, to get the ratings for two segments, before he finally makes it at around the 18-20 minute mark, and then have them spend the next forty minutes having reactions from various players and talking heads: "What did you think about LeBron's announcement?"

Apropos of nothing, those Carmax commercials where they spoof the Dramatic Prairie Dog video crack me up.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I bowl tomorrow night so really it won't be up to me, I suspect it won't be on though so I voted no.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I expect them to milk the announcement through the first fifteen minutes, to get the ratings for two segments, before he finally makes it at around the 18-20 minute mark, and then have them spend the next forty minutes having reactions from various players and talking heads: "What did you think about LeBron's announcement?"
I'm actually figuring they might have a 40 minute documentary style piece about how he compares to the great ones and how much it means to whichever city signs him, moving on to how agonizing a decision it was and knowing he'd let people down no matter what he chose ultimately to going back to the greats and how he wants to solidify his place in that pantheon and so he is choosing to stay in Cleveland so they can build statues of him outside the arena, etc.

Then he comes out to cheers, a quick interview followed by some analysis.

Then an hour sportscenter dedicated to the 1-hour LBJ special.

That's how I see it going down.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Don't think for a second that Turner/NBA TV won't try to make money off it, too. So will Fox Sports, as well as every other national/pseudo-national sports network.

Just heard on the radio that the announcement will come in the first ten minutes. I'll DVR it and watch later on tomorrow night. Have to be on the road.

Lebron is a self-aware trademark. Michael Jordan was a trademark, Tiger woods was and Kobe was. Lebron is the first of the mega-athlete trademarks to remove many of the puppet strings of being a trademark. Tiger likes to control things as well, but he doesn't display the on court moments of "selling the character" that Lebron does. James will knowingly turn to a camera during a timeout to flash a face, to display a little dance.

The consequence of James being aware of his place as a trademark is that the mediation of identity supplied by handlers and the press is quite a bit removed, so you get a double dose of LBJ. It is Lebron James presents Lebron James, when in the past it was Nike/SI presents Michael Jordan. The players egos here are always huge, but the mediation of another outlet providing the circus hid some of the ego. That veil is gone with James.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Don't think for a second that Turner/NBA TV won't try to make money off it, too. So will Fox Sports, as well as every other national/pseudo-national sports network.
Sure enough... watching Indiana Pacers "at" Utah Jazz Summer League on NBA TV (while also streaming Connecticut Sun at Atlanta Dream on my laptop), and I see that Turner/NBA TV will, in fact, have their own special on tomorrow night, with Barkley scheduled to appear as a "special" guest.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Why not? What else you gonna watch?
Amazingly enough I find it possible, nay soothing even, to actually watch NOTHING at times.

I know that can be shocking to some, I have had people claw their hair and run screaming out of the building in search of a TV set turned on. But what can I say, I still cling to the illusion that I own a boob tube, not the other way around.

However, now that I have learend that KINGS ANNOUNCER JIM GRAY will be MCing...well that's all the inspiration I need right there baby.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Amazingly enough I find it possible, nay soothing even, to actually watch NOTHING at times.

I know that can be shocking to some, I have had people claw their hair and run screaming out of the building in search of a TV set turned on. But what can I say, I still cling to the illusion that I own a boob tube, not the other way around.
The question wasn't really being asked to the avant-garde types who consider themselves too civilized for watching televsion, like the rest of us plebians; it was more directed to those of us who would have had the "idiot box" on, anyway. Hence the question, "What else you gonna watch," which kinda implies that you would have been watching something in the first place.

6pm will be just about the time I start cardio after weights at the gym, so I will be watching to help pass the time.

Oh, and on a side note, if you think Lebron is staying in Cleveland now.....you're crazy.

I heard Ryan Seacrest has decided to host. Audiences can text in which city Lebron will go to. When each city is removed from list due to fewer vores they have made a sappy little cry video with highlights of their journey.

Must Watch TV!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Damn, this Miami Thrice team better crush the lakers. LBJ and Wade are in top 5 and Bosh is in the top 5 at his position.

I'm jumping in the heat bandwagon!

not.

Cousins already sounding out on the new heat team:

Well wat else is on tv??? Glad there not in my conference! Lol

http://twitter.com/boogiecousins
Gotta love Boogie.. I love this kids Swagger already... absolutely love it. But he's right... That's going to be a hard team to beat and he told it like it is...

On the other hand I will manipulate his quote for my own amusement and he's saying he's glad he's they're not in his conference so he doesn't have to make LBJ and Bosh look like clowns :)