[Game] Kings @ Warriors, 1/25/2024, 7:00p PT/10:00p ET (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Regardless of anything else, having no plays called for Barnes leading up to the last two games was a big mistake
makes me speculate that maybe the team thought Murray might be ready to take on that role and/or use it as an experiment phase to see if he can do it but it just didn't happen and instead he's being utilized more as a 3 and D player. let's see how his shot attempts continue to look on this road trip, it will tell us more of what's going on

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I just don't understand why a guy like Sabonis doesn't work to refine his game. He's so brutish but he has the skills to develop a baby hook and step away shots. He just becomes the Kool Aid man inside and it doesn't work when he's against big bodies who can handle him or guys who know how to draw charges.
watching Sabonis can be maddening, he takes a long time to make his move and has minimal touch around the hoop so using him as a 2nd or 3rd option isn't going to work if the team wants to make a deep Playoff run in the years to come but his salary is that of a 2nd option, maybe even a 1st

watching Sabonis can be maddening, he takes a long time to make his move and has minimal touch around the hoop so using him as a 2nd or 3rd option isn't going to work if the team wants to make a deep Playoff run in the years to come but his salary is that of a 2nd option, maybe even a 1st
It's also curious how he's still hesitant to shoot considering his time in Indy at the 4 shooting amd scoring more! That play where he was all alone in the corner and instead dribbled towards KH to set a moving pick and caused a TO was so frustrating.

I just don't understand why a guy like Sabonis doesn't work to refine his game. He's so brutish but he has the skills to develop a baby hook and step away shots. He just becomes the Kool Aid man inside and it doesn't work when he's against big bodies who can handle him or guys who know how to draw charges.
He's primarily interested in being a point foward, and Brown lets him take the ball up the coart way too often which here and there leads to a turnover. He gets away with his dislogding charges almost once a game, but the real problems are his complete matador tendencies and eye-opening lack of shot blocking for his size. Murray is 3" shorter than him and superior shot blocker (and defender) - that's poor. I'd like to see Sabonis move his feet better on both sides of the ball. Take a cue from Murray. His rebounding is much better and he's more physical with it, which makes the lack shot-blocking and defending that much more puzzling.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's also curious how he's still hesitant to shoot considering his time in Indy at the 4 shooting amd scoring more! That play where he was all alone in the corner and instead dribbled towards KH to set a moving pick and caused a TO was so frustrating.
he naturally has that pass first mentality and the way the system is implemented, he is the offensive hub and makes things go but come Playoff time, teams will take away what he is good at and so what is the fall back plan? let's see if this years adjustments will be different from last seasons, should they make the playoffs of course.

Sabonis had 18 points 13 assists and 8 boards. And was 2-2 from 3. Yes he has those moments that are frustrating but the offensive flow of this team falls off drastically when he’s not in there. He’s a facilitator and he’s always looking to get a teammate the better shot. Rarely does he look for his own. Don’t fall for the narrative. He can absolutely make a deep playoff run with the right team around him. Kings aren’t that far off.

And his salary is that of an All NBA player…which he is.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sabonis had 18 points 13 assists and 8 boards. And was 2-2 from 3. Yes he has those moments that are frustrating but the offensive flow of this team falls off drastically when he’s not in there. He’s a facilitator and he’s always looking to get a teammate the better shot. Rarely does he look for his own. Don’t fall for the narrative. He can absolutely make a deep playoff run with the right team around him. Kings aren’t that far off.
only time will determine if that is the case, year 2 is still a progress and they are far off as far as I can see

And his salary is that of an All NBA player…which he is.
I think if he didn't have better scoring years and then absolutely had Looney eat his lunch we'd be just happy with what we have. But we know he has the skills to be more versatile as a scorer. He just doesn't even when that's what might be needed in tight stretches. Here's hoping the Kings improve the pieces around him.

The offensive flow won't mean diddly squat on an off shooting night.....the Kings have not shown an ability to play sustained defense. with huge lapses - they look that far off. Warriors oblige the Kings with equally bad defense. It's like watching a mini-all-star game.

If you think Domas hasn't worked on his game and come back better this year... woof. You're not paying attention.

This game is weird, why is everybody shooting so well? They need to repeat whatever activities they done prior to the game. What exactly did they do? What did they eat? How much did they focus on training? Why is Fox shooting free throws like a pro? How is Barnes become Steph Curry? What medication did Mitchell took? They need to write them down on a list and repeat the same activities before each game.

Last edited:
Wowee. Beating Staph Curry and the Terriers at their place is no easy feat. A 3 point shooting contest with them is really tough.
Barnes is under rated. His best play of the game was blocking Kuminga in the last minute.
Sabonis is really steady and a complete basketball player. Point center.
Fox has perfected the mid range shots and plays defense.
Murray is the unsung hero for his defense and 3 ball.
Huerter is a little uneven, but his length gives teams problems.
Monk is the "King of the Kings." He has unbelievable hop and very creative. Fun to watch.
Kings bench is much improved.
Last night was playoff practice. What is better than double teaming Curry and making him dribble of his foot?
If the Kings can continue to improve their defense they become a dangerous team.

Looking at HB's post-game comments and Kevin's performance, I am starting to think that our dropoff this season has a lot to do with Brown (who I love) imposing a more traditional operating template on the Kings, with "role players" and "all stars" instead of five pistons working together in unison within the engine. I don't think HB wants to be a full-time role player...he's happy to sacrifice his offensive game to set screens, do cuts, and make passes, but thrives in a system where all others are willing do the same on a given night.

In the last two games, Brown seems to be involving the bench more frequently and in more meaningful ways... look at the results from guys like Davion and McGee. Maybe Brown is reassessing his second season approach, learning as we all do with time and experience.

Looking at HB's post-game comments and Kevin's performance, I am starting to think that our dropoff this season has a lot to do with Brown (who I love) imposing a more traditional operating template on the Kings, with "role players" and "all stars" instead of five pistons working together in unison within the engine. I don't think HB wants to be a full-time role player...he's happy to sacrifice his offensive game to set screens, do cuts, and make passes, but thrives in a system where all others are willing do the same on a given night.

In the last two games, Brown seems to be involving the bench more frequently and in more meaningful ways... look at the results from guys like Davion and McGee. Maybe Brown is reassessing his second season approach, learning as we all do with time and experience.
To your point, I am very much so inclined to (and 100% stand by my decision to) consider last season to be somewhat of an anomaly. I think Brown, towards the beginning of last season, just revved up the engine a bit more than maybe he should've at the end of the day when he realized the squad was in the process of doing something special. I don't think he had much of a choice, and I don't fault him for coaching last season the way he ended up coaching.

This season, however, has been more of an "I now understand what your potential is based on the success of last season. Let me now come in and establish some sort of a more traditional, and routine, gameplan. We have the personnel in place to take a step forward. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, and approach this methodically as to not risk crashing and burning in the next year or two" approach from Brown.

I am perfectly fine with that approach.

Sure, we may not be a better team than last season, I can agree with you there. But we certainly are not a worse team. If anything, we are at the same level as last season's Kings squad.

Knowing Brown's track record before he came to Sacramento, I have faith in his ability to take this team to that next level. He may not do it this season, but I don't think we're as far off from getting there as some are making it out to be.

Last edited:
Wowee. Beating Staph Curry and the Terriers at their place is no easy feat. A 3 point shooting contest with them is really tough.
Barnes is under rated. His best play of the game was blocking Kuminga in the last minute.
Sabonis is really steady and a complete basketball player. Point center.
Fox has perfected the mid range shots and plays defense.
Murray is the unsung hero for his defense and 3 ball.
Huerter is a little uneven, but his length gives teams problems.
Monk is the "King of the Kings." He has unbelievable hop and very creative. Fun to watch.
Kings bench is much improved.
Last night was playoff practice. What is better than double teaming Curry and making him dribble of his foot?
If the Kings can continue to improve their defense they become a dangerous team.
Huerter having "length" for his height is an illusion. For reference Keon Ellis is longer than he is.

What he has done, is playing hard and trying to impact the game in ways other than shooting the 3, such as trying to get as many rebounds as he can

A lovely morning meltdown to pair with last night's victory

I didn’t put my headphones in right at the start and I thought for a while they were describing Green….

“A hack on offense, a hack on defense”
“He’s elbowing, smacking, hitting people”
“Flailing all over the floor”

Is that guy trolling or was that real?

The lack of self awareness by Golden State fans and media continues to amaze me.

I didn’t put my headphones in right at the start and I thought for a while they were describing Green….

“A hack on offense, a hack on defense”
“He’s elbowing, smacking, hitting people”
“Flailing all over the floor”

Is that guy trolling or was that real?

The lack of self awareness by Golden State fans and media continues to amaze me.
Oh it’s real…he’s a total clown. DLo and KC are always laughing at this guy.

Dammmmmmmmn! What a hell of a win. Our poor dog kept nodding off and then give us the stink eye seconds later when we’re yelling and screaming. Man The Falcon landed again tonight fantastic game from HB, and I really thought Fox looked more himself. Huerter gave me a heart attack when he missed the first one and then the second? Our defense was good with the exception of Kuminga getting whatever he wanted. But I was thrilled to light my beam ESPECIALLY WITH THE WIN AGAINST THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS. I know Curry wanted to be the game winner and bang his infamous 3pt in but KINGS PREVAILED
Yeah I got so stressed out there at end, it was so suspenseful! For a second there I thought maybe I shouldn't be watching this lol. That is one good thing about not having a pet right now is that I won't be alarming them with all my cheering and yelling!

He's primarily interested in being a point foward, and Brown lets him take the ball up the coart way too often which here and there leads to a turnover. He gets away with his dislogding charges almost once a game, but the real problems are his complete matador tendencies and eye-opening lack of shot blocking for his size. Murray is 3" shorter than him and superior shot blocker (and defender) - that's poor. I'd like to see Sabonis move his feet better on both sides of the ball. Take a cue from Murray. His rebounding is much better and he's more physical with it, which makes the lack shot-blocking and defending that much more puzzling.
Sabonis bringing the ball up the floor is by far the most efficient offense, the amount of open threes and layups doesn't even come close to comparing to turnovers he has while doing so.This game alone Kings had 4-5 open threes because of that. It's not going anywhere and it shouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.