[Game] Kings vs. Mavericks, Friday 3/29 7:00PM PT/10:00PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might be for this season but the one actual undeniable good thing about Monte sitting on his hands the past year is that it’s essentially turned the Kings into one of the two or three Western conference playoff teams with enough assets and useable salary space to make moves in response to this year’s playoff race. Minnesota, Denver, the Clippers, Dallas, Phoenix, the Lakers, and the Warriors are all stuck in varying stats of capped out and draft asset deficient
That he needs to make the moves, I truly hope it is not resigning Monk and call it a day.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Getting very uncomfortable with the reality we could finish 7th and wind up in the lottery stuck with the 14th pick in a bad draft and no way to make moves because we owe a future pick to ATL.

Devastating loss tonight. Not how I wanted to celebrate the first anniversary on Clinchmas. :(:mad:

This game wasn't too eye opening - It basically just highlighted the same old things. Lack of secondary shot creators outside of Fox & w/ Monk out that was on full display ... When Luka gets doubled, trapped he's swinging to Kyrie who can make something happen way more efficiently & quickly than the Kings #2 option. It's really that simple. I thought the Kings battled in this one, had their moments defensively outside of the 4th. Mavs played very well, tip your hat to them. I do like what I saw from Edwards tonight. The trio of Ellis-Edwards-Len I thought was pretty stellar defensively & should be given more run in spurts (basically I think they should consider cutting Duarte from rotation completely to make this happen).

Getting very uncomfortable with the reality we could finish 7th and wind up in the lottery stuck with the 14th pick in a bad draft and no way to make moves because we owe a future pick to ATL.

Devastating loss tonight. Not how I wanted to celebrate the first anniversary on Clinchmas. :(:mad:
I just hope Monte has been paying attention to the draft. Who knows... maybe that 14th pick could become a generational talent. One can only dream lol.

The issues is that Keon’s production is already mostly there to cover Huerter and Lyle’s production so you’re subtracting Monk’s numbers from a team already down a good 20+ points a game.
Yeah down Monk, Huerter, Lyles and Sasha we were down almost all our offensive threats off the bench. I thought Mike needed to bring in Kessler earlier and let Keegan focus on offense. With Kessler on the floor we grabbed the lead. The Brown brought in Barnes for Kessler and we lost it.

I thought Mike did a poor job of playing the hand he was dealt.

I just hope Monte has been paying attention to the draft. Who knows... maybe that 14th pick could become a generational talent. One can only dream lol.
At this point if the Kings end up with that pick and have intentions on re-signing Monk that pick might have to be packaged just to clear salary. I'm sure Monte is going to look to continue to move off of Barnes and Huerter but the Kings are much too close to the first apron. This draft isn't the best but maybe long term the best thing is to land it, and sweeten whatever deals he was looking at this last deadline.

Refs sucked but what else is new

Kings suck at home.
I’m just leaving G1C (wife is driving home) and “officiating” is all anyone needs to say about this game.

The KINGS did what they needed to do. Their unheralded supporting cast stepped up and made shots. Barnes, Ellis, and Edwards kept the KINGS out front for most the game with timely shots.

The problem was, the officials did what they needed to do, too. And that was to keep the Mavs in the game so they could steal it late.

The Mavs scrub centers got calls in and around the rim that the KINGS all NBA center can’t get. Late whistles, touch fouls, and even #77 staring down an official to get a BS call.

Meanwhile, the KINGS were being just as aggressive on both sides of the floor yet get outshot, in their own building no less, by 21 foul shots. 33-12.

22 fouls called on the KINGS compared to 12 on the Mavs.

There’s just no justification for it. None.

Don’t label it an “excuse”, either. If fans can’t see through the nonsense by now, there’s no helping them. Denying the NBA agenda is just burying your head in the sand.

I’ve been seeing this same old $#t for 39 years now. It’s late in the season, the Mavs have brand name players and the NBA does NOT want them in the play-in. Period, end of story.

Problem is, this tilted officiating has become far worse in recent years. It used to be the “home” team was more likely to get calls due to crowd influence. Those days are long gone, at least for the KINGS anyway.

Doesn’t seem to matter who they play lately, as they seemingly lose the free throw discrepancy most games at home. Same thing happened against Houston a while back, same thing pretty much happens every time they play LAL.

It becomes more transparent in big, late season games. It sure was transparent tonight. The Mavs better thank the Three Stooges tonight. They were the MVP’s of the game.

Well done, NBA! Your journey toward becoming WWFNBA is pretty much complete.

At this point if the Kings end up with that pick and have intentions on re-signing Monk that pick might have to be packaged just to clear salary. I'm sure Monte is going to look to continue to move off of Barnes and Huerter but the Kings are much too close to the first apron. This draft isn't the best but maybe long term the best thing is to land it, and sweeten whatever deals he was looking at this last deadline.
We need to replace Barnes in the forward rotation. If we trade a pick to bring back the same team yet again I might really lose it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It’s entirely possible there is value there because of there not being a standout at the top. Also our team needs at this point is probably a player of low value in the draft. But also the type of player that takes 2-3 years and we need to make a leap next year.

Yeah down Monk, Huerter, Lyles and Sasha we were down almost all our offensive threats off the bench. I thought Mike needed to bring in Kessler earlier and let Keegan focus on offense. With Kessler on the floor we grabbed the lead. The Brown brought in Barnes for Kessler and we lost it.

Kessler was inside when the Mavs started hitting 3 pointers (at one point it was shown that Mavs had 6/8 Kings 4/5 in that quarter alone) that's why the -8 in his stats.
Having said that I do agree that Kessler should be the first option as a back up 3 and he should have been given way more chances to get on the floor in previous matches as well. Also I like to see the Keon/Keegan/Kessler at some point, the K3K3K3 trio when scoring 3s like tonight.

It’s entirely possible there is value there because of there not being a standout at the top. Also our team needs at this point is probably a player of low value in the draft. But also the type of player that takes 2-3 years and we need to make a leap next year.
Monte’s strength is the draft. He should have taken a swing last year and if we do have 14 should take a swing this year.

Brown isn't going to let Edwards finish a close game over Barnes at this point. It's just not an option that I believe he will go to, regardless of how Kessler is playing. Similar to earlier this season, he wouldn't go to Keon Ellis to finish

Brown isn't going to let Edwards finish a close game over Barnes at this point. It's just not an option that I believe he will go to, regardless of how Kessler is playing. Similar to earlier this season, he wouldn't go to Keon Ellis to finish
Yep and I think Keon is clearly proving that to have been a mistake. If you have Monk on the floor it probably the right move to play Barnes and let Keegan guard Luka. But with no Monk I think you need more offense from Keegan and that means let Kessler take his defensive duties.

Crazy how fast things can change. With Monk now likely out for a stretch of games...and only 9 games left,....I don't know that this team really knows how to close games without him, let alone cover for his scoring in general.

Tough to say this, but they might be in a dog fight to hold on for a final spot in the play-in

Crazy how fast things can change. With Monk now likely out for a stretch of games...and only 9 games left,....I don't know that this team really knows how to close games without him, let alone cover for his scoring in general.

Tough to say this, but they might be in a dog fight to hold on for a final spot in the play-in
Depending on Monk's outlook there's an argument that missing the play-in entirely, preserving his health, and getting a lotto pick going into the summer is preferable to struggling thru the play-in and risking aggravating his injury (even if he does walk in FA).

Keon and Kessler contributing is a huge plus but I'm not gonna pretend that they can make up for Monk + Huerter in helping us get out of the first round.

This season is pretty much toast after tonight. We controlled our destiny with these 2 games. Tonight was game 7 on this season and we lost.

I will be perfectly honest with you all, and it pains me to my eternal core to have to say this, but...at this point, I'd much rather we "shut it down", hope for the best in June, bring in some new bodies, and make a run at it next season. If we find a way to get past the play-in tournament, I won't complain at all, and will tune in to the first round series with an open mind. BUT, if we bow out in the play-in tournament, I won't necessarily be too terribly dejected. It is what it is. We are NOT the same team we were last season. But, I do think we will get better moving forward. Last season was just one wicked anomaly, and this season, I believe, we are seeing the "real Kings"...We now know who we truly are.

I'm ready for this ride; Bring it!

1711781296948.png

Eh, the Kings to shut down the season? Like we are used to making the playoffs each year so it's ok to skip that. After all it's possible to meet the Lakers in the play in that they bring the best in us despite the obvious officiating that will be against us.

And it's not the end of the world, the Kings lost the chance to have the advantage for a direct playoff spot when losing to much worse teams. Even if we had beaten the Mavs twice it is not sure that we would get to finish 6th. And almost all teams will go all in at the last games apart from the Celtics or the 10th team in the East (Bulls or Hawks) to improve their rankings.

Lyles will be coming back soon, Sasha perhaps even sooner (no idea what's happening there, having been questionable for 10 days or so) and perhaps Kessler or Duarte or Sasha or Colby will step up in the absence of Monk coming from the bench. The team is capable of playing good defense, they have shown it quite often in March, it's the offense that seems not to be working so well, with Fox and Sabonis having many ups and downs as the "co-ordinators" in the attack and the 3 point shots of ours and our opponents that have proven to be a huge factor.

Ah and next season will probably be even tougher since from all the teams in the West, Spurs should be even better (they have cap space to add someone near Wemby) and Utah is unpredictable as well if they don't start tanking in the middle of the season, that will leave Portland as the only "punching bag" in the entire conference.

Keon feels like an upgrade or a player that we got in the transfer deadline, perhaps he should have gotten that role earlier in the season. Barnes and Huerter are the 2 weakest links in our lineup, but with a not so good season for any of them it's hard to imagine to get something positive in return if they will be used as assets.

Last but not least let's not forget that several times that Kings were doomed to lose a match vs a stronger opponent even on the road they did the "impossible" and came away with a win. They could do the same in play in or play off as well.

Today we played well for 3 quarters in a "play off mode", we got no help from the refs, not that much help from our last season All Stars and came really close to win one of the hottest teams in the league right now with Kyrie doing crazy stuff in that last quarter. So no it's not the end of the world.

Yeah refs are garbage but if you watch this team play you can tell their record is more than justified. An inconsistent franchise PG with poor body language, a second star who we run the offense through who is terrified to shoot outside 10 feet, inconsistent play from our wings, lack of a deep bench, bad defenders. This team may have peaked last season.

The Kings led by nine at the half. De'Aaron Fox had five rebounds and four assists. He finished the game with six rebounds and five assists. In other words, he moved away from the team ball that was working so well. Kessler Edwards had nine points on three shots and Fox never even looked to pass it to him.

In the fourth quarter, my significant other feared he was going to go for hero ball, and he did. It almost worked--that last floater in the lane was a great opportunity, just a little long. But would it kill him to "spray" the ball every now and then and trust his teammates? Alex Len had more assists in the fourth quarter (two) than Fox (one).

Status
Not open for further replies.