[Game] Kings vs Jazz, 7pm Pacific 10 pm Eastern 10/19/2023

The serious question is where does coach brown find the minutes for Colby Jones this season? Do we just leave him in Stockton until there's an injury?

If Colby’s shot is legit, he’s gonna be such a big time player for us this year. He has really high IQ with a strong feel for the game. He brings it on both ends which is something we’re lacking on the roster.

In terms of the young/new guys:

-Vezenkov looks a bit overmatched right now. Awesome to see he had a great 3rd quarter, but think it'll take some time for him to learn to gel as an off-ball player and the speed of the game. But amazing to see the cutting/shooting glimpses when he gets rolling. Also excellent on the boards. Didn't get much time with Domas, which I think is a good chunk of the thesis behind Sasha being good.

-Jones is very very good. Very "Hali" esq in his demeanor on the court where he's just making the right play over and over again. Looks calm, but plays very fast. Showed some real impressive creation in the PnR and finding shooters and the shot looked great. If he keeps shooting like that, he's going to be hard to keep off the floor. Physical on defense and contests everything. Brown is going to love him, if he doesn't already.

-Kessler showing growth as well. This was basically the perfect game for him; get after it on the boards, hit some jumpers, be physical on defense. Destroyed THT on that ISO possession defensively in the 4th. Probably needs an injury to get a look, but absolutely someone I have faith in developing into a rotation player. Especially if Vezenkov doesn't pan out, he'll have a real chance to step in and make an impact.

Also shout out Kessler Edwards tonight. Nice on offense and ELITE defense.
There was a defensive play late in the 4th quarter where he flipped his hips sooo seamlessly as the defender attacked against him. Looked like an NFL DB with how fluid he was.

He could be a 15mpy player in the league if he can consistently hit his 3s. Imagine if he’s able to replace Kevin in the starting lineup. That would be huge for our defense.

Vezenkov can score buckets but if he wants a role on this team it's going to be scoring in spurts. Otherwise, he is kind of unplayable. He rotates slow on D and is slow to recognize. Dude is a project for sure but the off ball movement and shooting make him intriguing but as a (28 year old) project.

I dont imagine him lasting beyond this contract in the NBA if he can't figure out the defensive side of the ball.

Vezenkov can score buckets but if he wants a role on this team it's going to be scoring in spurts. Otherwise, he is kind of unplayable. He rotates slow on D and is slow to recognize. Dude is a project for sure but the off ball movement and shooting make him intriguing but as a (28 year old) project.

I dont imagine him lasting beyond this contract in the NBA
I mean, maybe wait for him to play an actual NBA minute before declaring him a bust and headed back for Europe lol. These sort of overreactions are just bad analysis.

We’ll I’m more uncertain of how the depth chart should look than prior to the pre-season
Top 8 is still locked in, at least to start the year:

Fox
Huerter
Keegan
HB
Domas

Davion
Monk
Lyles

And unfortunately, I think Brown is going to go Javale for back-up C. So he's the 9th man.

10th man though? Very wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Jones at this point, with how well he played in the preseason and how "unready" Vezenkov looked. But Duarte had a few solid games before getting hurt as well. Kessler is probably on the outside looking in from those 3 for the 10th man slot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Top 8 is still locked in, at least to start the year:

Fox
Huerter
Keegan
HB
Domas

Davion
Monk
Lyles

And unfortunately, I think Brown is going to go Javale for back-up C. So he's the 9th man.

10th man though? Very wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Jones at this point, with how well he played in the preseason and how "unready" Vezenkov looked. But Duarte had a few solid games before getting hurt as well. Kessler is probably on the outside looking in from those 3 for the 10th man slot.

It was really interesting to see in the fourth quarter how all four of Coach Brown's best defensive players (in my opinion) were on the court at the same time: Mitchell, Len, Edwards, and Jones. Man, they were really getting after it!

Len had 7 rebounds and 5 blocks, Edwards had 8 rebounds, and Jones came up with 3 steals.

Last edited:
We’ll I’m more uncertain of how the depth chart should look than prior to the pre-season
The way coach Brown has been heaping praise on Durate and now Colby, I'm thinking that Huerter's days as a starter may be numbered.

Huerter has been in a shooting slump and coach Brown seems to want more physicality and defense in the starting line up. I wouldn't be surprised if Durate or Colby is starting by December.