[Game] Kings v. Spurs - 10/27/16 - 7:30 PM PDT

I really want to just hurt myself looking at that...thank you :oops:
Don't, because Kawhi Leonard is a pure product of Popovich. If the Kings had drafted him, he would probably be in the McLemore situation right now. The Spurs are are different kind of team. Pop is a dictator and the players have to accept that in order to stay on board. The Spurs are actually a typical EuroLeague team, in which the coach has total control (no wonder why the Spurs have always had so many international players). If the Spurs had a player like LeBron, they would have to fire Pop. Therefore, the Spurs have a totally different philosophy compared to most other NBA teams (closest was Thibs Bulls). That fits Kawhi perfectly because of his lack of NBA star mannerisms and that's why he has become the star he is.

gunks

Hall of Famer
As an unapologetic Rudy hater, I'm giving Mr. Gay a pass tonight.

Kawhi is beasting on everyone this season. The only person we should be mad at is Petrie, for drafting Jimmer (or the Magoofs, if rumors are true).

A frustrating lose tonight in our first official debut in the new "Golden 1" arena in Sacramento, the Kings faced a very determind and experienced team which is led by a very witty and sophisticated NBA coach named Greg Popovich.

I personally woke up early in the morning in the military base to watch this game, I was satisfied with the way the Kings played until the late parts of the third quarter, I am not going to point a finger at Ben McLemore or something but I believe that the two straight turnovers of his that led to 5 straight points from Kawhi Leonard kind of hurt the Kings stability and effected both of their offensive game and their defensive game, The Kings were recoiled from the quick hands of Leonard and it hurt their confidence which eventually lost us this game.

On the more personal side I was frustrated by the fact that Omri Casspi never recieved even one minute on the court in this current game, as we all know Casspi was many time the "x-factor" last season, he is a veteran guy that you can count on to provide you with points and quality rebounding ability, but coach Joerger seems to put his trust in the hands of Barnes and Tolliver, no disrespect to both of this players but I can't see how any of them tops Casspi, Barnes is a better defender and he has that "in your face" mentality, but he can't provide you with efficient three-point shot percentages as Casspi can.
I just find it pretty weird, I hope Casspi will gain his coach's trust, because I believe everyone here knows how important he is for the team and the team chemistry.

And as for people believing that Kawhi would fulfill his potential here in Sacramento if the Kings have eventually decided to chose the same way he did in San Antonio, then I pretty much think it's delusional to think that way, it is easier to grow under a more solid and stable team with plenty of seasoned NBA veterans, an NBA legend and one of the best coaches in NBA history, Spurs has that one think we don't have, and that's consistency, in addition we can't avoid the fact that Leonard is naturally gifted with his long arms and big hands which provides him with a pretty solid ball thieving ability, he was able to exploit all his natural resources due to the fact that he is a hard worker and also he is surrounded by a very experienced environment who was able to detect his tremendous potential.

Exactly, its just the beginning of the season - this Kings team is returning more or less the same team as last year, talent-wise. Don't get your hopes too high up. The roster is not overhauled. They need a consistent outside shooter in the worst way, and the management failed the draft, yet again......someone else has to relieve the scoring pressure off Cousins from the backcourt. They need one of their guards to average high 'teens scoring at least efficiently.

A frustrating lose tonight in our first official debut in the new "Golden 1" arena in Sacramento, the Kings faced a very determind and experienced team which is led by a very witty and sophisticated NBA coach named Greg Popovich.

I personally woke up early in the morning in the military base to watch this game, I was satisfied with the way the Kings played until the late parts of the third quarter, I am not going to point a finger at Ben McLemore or something but I believe that the two straight turnovers of his that led to 5 straight points from Kawhi Leonard kind of hurt the Kings stability and effected both of their offensive game and their defensive game, The Kings were recoiled from the quick hands of Leonard and it hurt their confidence which eventually lost us this game.

On the more personal side I was frustrated by the fact that Omri Casspi never recieved even one minute on the court in this current game, as we all know Casspi was many time the "x-factor" last season, he is a veteran guy that you can count on to provide you with points and quality rebounding ability, but coach Joerger seems to put his trust in the hands of Barnes and Tolliver, no disrespect to both of this players but I can't see how any of them tops Casspi, Barnes is a better defender and he has that "in your face" mentality, but he can't provide you with efficient three-point shot percentages as Casspi can.
I just find it pretty weird, I hope Casspi will gain his coach's trust, because I believe everyone here knows how important he is for the team and the team chemistry.

And as for people believing that Kawhi would fulfill his potential here in Sacramento if the Kings have eventually decided to chose the same way he did in San Antonio, then I pretty much think it's delusional to think that way, it is easier to grow under a more solid and stable team with plenty of seasoned NBA veterans, an NBA legend and one of the best coaches in NBA history, Spurs has that one think we don't have, and that's consistency, in addition we can't avoid the fact that Leonard is naturally gifted with his long arms and big hands which provides him with a pretty solid ball thieving ability, he was able to exploit all his natural resources due to the fact that he is a hard worker and also he is surrounded by a very experienced environment who was able to detect his tremendous potential.
I hear what you are saying. Barnes did not have a good game last night and he made too many 3-point attempts because the second unit did not know how to deal with the Spurs defense. Yes, Omri is a better rebounder and a 3-point shooter than Barnes (or Tolliver), but maybe the coach was more concerned about the defense and match-ups in this particular game. Those are things that need to be dealt with in the continuation. However, the general impression of the team was good. Mistakes were made, but nothing that can't be corrected fairly easily.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Exactly, its just the beginning of the season - this Kings team is returning more or less the same team as last year, talent-wise. Don't get your hopes too high up. The roster is not overhauled. They need a consistent outside shooter in the worst way, and the management failed the draft, yet again......someone else has to relieve the scoring pressure off Cousins from the backcourt. They need one of their guards to average high 'teens scoring at least efficiently.
Over half the roster is new.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't do this explicitly very often, but I'll make this an exception: trust me on this one. I've been watching the NBA since long before there was an internet to discuss it. Its not all about talent in the NBA. Its not the same team at all, and critically its not the same coach. This team is night and day from last year's squad, and a testament to some very saavy subtle little under the radar moves, and one game changing coaching hire that's quickly looming as the most important move Vlade has made as a GM. I won't speak to the kids, some who have talent, some who may not. But the kids aren't what's important. This team presents as rock solid and well coached, and has from the first moment they hit the floor in training camp. The only team we've had in the last decade that presented anything like this was the one that started the season with a bang under Malone before he was fired.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't do this explicitly very often, but I'll make this an exception: trust me on this one. I've been watching the NBA since long before there was an internet to discuss it. Its not all about talent in the NBA. Its not the same team at all, and critically its not the same coach. This team is night and day from last year's squad, and a testament to some very saavy subtle little under the radar moves, and one game changing coaching hire that's quickly looming as the most important move Vlade has made as a GM. I won't speak to the kids, some who have talent, some who may not. But the kids aren't what's important. This team presents as rock solid and well coached, and has from the first moment they hit the floor in training camp. The only team we've had in the last decade that presented anything like this was the one that started the season with a bang under Malone before he was fired.
And that roster was no where near as talented as this one is. Even with all his struggles Kosta is miles ahead of Jason Thompson and that season's bench was an abomination.

K

KingMilz

And that roster was no where near as talented as this one is. Even with all his struggles Kosta is miles ahead of Jason Thompson and that season's bench was an abomination.
But we did have the GOAT 9-6 coach atm DJ is the GOAT 1-1 coach I would say which is still a fair way to go to MM.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well Collison averaged 14 last year off the bench and 16 the year before as a starter. He will be back and it will sure up our bench more having Callison and Lawson as the platoon pgs instead of Temple. Then Temple could play a role he is more comfortable with. We have alot of room for improve ment. I see it already and this team has only been together 4-5 weeks learing a new system and new style. We have to scrap this first month but after that you should start to see things more fluid as the guys get comfortable with each other.

So what youre saying is the Sessions-Stauskas-Casspi-Landry-Reggie Evans bench lineup wasnt going to cut it?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So what youre saying is the Sessions-Stauskas-Casspi-Landry-Reggie Evans bench lineup wasnt going to cut it?
Of all the people listed, the only one still on the team is Casspi and the only other guy still in the league (not counting the only-in-the-NBA-because-he's-on-the-Sixers Stauskas) is duking it out with Marco and Soggy Waffles for the title of most useless former King on the Hornets' roster.

Of all the people listed, the only one still on the team is Casspi and the only other guy still in the league (not counting the only-in-the-NBA-because-he's-on-the-Sixers Stauskas) is duking it out with Marco and Soggy Waffles for the title of most useless former King on the Hornets' roster.
PDA really knew what he was doing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Don't, because Kawhi Leonard is a pure product of Popovich. If the Kings had drafted him, he would probably be in the McLemore situation right now. The Spurs are are different kind of team. Pop is a dictator and the players have to accept that in order to stay on board. The Spurs are actually a typical EuroLeague team, in which the coach has total control (no wonder why the Spurs have always had so many international players). If the Spurs had a player like LeBron, they would have to fire Pop. Therefore, the Spurs have a totally different philosophy compared to most other NBA teams (closest was Thibs Bulls). That fits Kawhi perfectly because of his lack of NBA star mannerisms and that's why he has become the star he is.
I have no doubt in my mind Leonard would not be what he is with this team, hell...he would more than likely be severely undeveloped and just end up getting traded for scraps. It's all moot anyway, drafting is not a strong suite for this team any longer, I've come to accept it for what it is.

Played with three hall of fame players and coach...let's slightly take a step off the gas pedal before we label him a "great".
Last season he was 1st team All-NBA, Defensive Player of the Year (2nd year in a row) and finished 2nd in the MVP race. I almost forgot that he was also an All-Star and All-defensive 1st team. He was the best player on the 3rd best team in the league. So far, he appears to be playing at an even higher level this season.
Nobody is saying he is great based on 2 games. I am saying that based on his whole career.

Played with three hall of fame players and coach...let's slightly take a step off the gas pedal before we label him a "great".
Duncan last year, Parker, and Ginobili are all shells of their former selves. Not like he's been playing with the mid-2000's versions of these players.

Nobody is labeling him an all-time great. He is now a perennial MVP candidate (finished second last year) and just about every player ranking I've seen from the media had him in the 4 to 6 range before the season. You're in the minority with your opinion.

Learn your NBA history.. seriously.

Kawhi is already an all-time great defender. The guy has been the heart and soul of some of the BEST defensive teams in NBA history the past few seasons, along with the 2 DPOYs. Especially in today's league that prioritizes Star Wing players and offense makes it even more impressive as to what he's been able to do.

And now that his offensive game is quickly catching up to his defensive prowess, it won't take him long to climb the all-time great list from top 75

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Learn your NBA history.. seriously.

Kawhi is already an all-time great defender. The guy has been the heart and soul of some of the BEST defensive teams in NBA history the past few seasons, along with the 2 DPOYs. Especially in today's league that prioritizes Star Wing players and offense makes it even more impressive as to what he's been able to do.

And now that his offensive game is quickly catching up to his defensive prowess, it won't take him long to climb the all-time great list from top 75
So in your opinion, after 2 DPOY's...he is an "all-time" great defender? I don't see how that adds up. Explain a bit further if you may...

Bricklayer

So in your opinion, after 2 DPOY's...he is an "all-time" great defender? I don't see how that adds up. Explain a bit further if you may...
I'm not sure about the all-timeness yet, but it should be noted that in the 34 years since DPOY has been voted upon, there have been exactly 3 non-centers to ever win the award twice: Sidney Moncrief, Dennis rodman, and now Kawhi. Payton only got 1. Artest 1. Cooper 1. Robertson 1. Pippen never got any. Nor did Bowen.

In over 25 years of watching NBA, Kawhi is the best defensive player I've ever seen. Better than Jordan, Kobe, Rodman, LeBron in their prime as defenders. I think if you went into a lab to design the perfect defender, mentally and physically, it would be Kawhi. He's basically a frigging machine. He will slice and dice you with his relentless effort and fundamentals. If there is a negative, maybe he'd be a little more adept at blocking shots. But he doesn't gamble and plays position defense. He rarely bites on pump fakes, so he's not really trying to block your shot.

The reason I think he's better than aforementioned guys is because he's stronger than all of them except LeBron, which means he doesn't give an inch, he commands his space and invades yours, and I think he has faster hands than LeBron. The argument that he hasn't done it long enough is moot to me because as long as he continues to stay healthy he's going to continue to do it. His personality is such he's not going to coast. Frankly he's a boring lunch pail personality, and this mentality is conducive to defending night in night out play after play. In the Boogie interview, he said Kawhi had been working with Kobe over the summer. Kawhi has that same level of tenacity without the prima donna complex or injury history.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

In over 25 years of watching NBA, Kawhi is the best defensive player I've ever seen. Better than Jordan, Kobe, Rodman, LeBron in their prime as defenders. I think if you went into a lab to design the perfect defender, mentally and physically, it would be Kawhi. He's basically a frigging machine. He will slice and dice you with his relentless effort and fundamentals. If there is a negative, maybe he'd be a little more adept at blocking shots. But he doesn't gamble and plays position defense. He rarely bites on pump fakes, so he's not really trying to block your shot.

The reason I think he's better than aforementioned guys is because he's stronger than all of them except LeBron, which means he doesn't give an inch, he commands his space and invades yours, and I think he has faster hands than LeBron. The argument that he hasn't done it long enough is moot to me because as long as he continues to stay healthy he's going to continue to do it. His personality is such he's not going to coast. Frankly he's a boring lunch pail personality, and this mentality is conducive to defending night in night out play after play. In the Boogie interview, he said Kawhi had been working with Kobe over the summer. Kawhi has that same level of tenacity without the prima donna complex or injury history.
Kawhi is not stronger than Rodman was. Even young Rodman was one of the unique physical freaks the league has seen.

Kawhi is not stronger than Rodman was. Even young Rodman was one of the unique physical freaks the league has seen.
Fair enough. Debatable point but I am not going into the weeds on this one. Rodman was a live wire and made his mark with hustle and anticipation. He wasn't a guy who out-muscled, he out-hustled. The game was different back then too, less emphasis on weight training. But I can't prove it one way or the other and neither can you.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

If we want to talk about best defenders that won the award and were non-centers, I'd give that title to Ron Artest. He was something else, and you couldn't budge him a bit...he had those quick hands to boot. Just because a player won more DPOY than another, doesn't necessarily make him a better defender...it just means there are less defenders in the league IMO...look at Ron's era of defenders and look at the current crop.

If we want to talk about best defenders that won the award and were non-centers, I'd give that title to Ron Artest. He was something else, and you couldn't budge him a bit...he had those quick hands to boot. Just because a player won more DPOY than another, doesn't necessarily make him a better defender...it just means there are less defenders in the league IMO...look at Ron's era of defenders and look at the current crop.
Rodman was great no doubt, but I think Kawhi is better.