[Game] Kings v. Pelicans - 3/16/16 - 7 PT, 10 ET

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No there's not. At least we would be watching coaches and guys who cared about the game. Watching disinterested players playing for a less interested coach is just awful
The two things are related I think. Can't ever be sure, but I don't think anybody out there wants to play for Karl anymore. I'm damn sure that for all the bitching and whining about it, most fans with intelligence greater than slimemold would rather see a pissed off screaming fighting Cousins than the "I'm getting paid so I'll pass the ball around" guy who is out there right now. Guys sitting out with minor injuries are predictable. If there ever was any chance of this team fighting for anything, I seriously do not think there were going to do it for this coach. Not entirely sure all the hate heaped on them by the fanbase is terribly inspiring either. Gone fishin'.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
This abuse would be worth it if and only if this is what it takes for Vlade to show Karl the door. Seriously if you can't get fired after this I think George can just walk into the office make doo-doo on the desk and still keep his gig.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No there's not. At least we would be watching coaches and guys who cared about the game. Watching disinterested players playing for a less interested coach is just awful
The two things are related I think. Can't ever be sure, but I don't think anybody out there wants to play for Karl anymore. I'm damn sure that for all the bitching and whining about it, most fans with intelligence greater than slimemold would rather see a pissed off screaming fighting Cousins than the "I'm getting paid so I'll pass the ball around" guy who is out there right now. Guys sitting out with minor injuries are predictable. If there ever was any chance of this team fighting for anything, I seriously do not think there were going to do it for this coach. Not entirely sure all the hate heaped on them by the fanbase is terribly inspiring either. Gone fishin'.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Karl complains that the team doesn't come out with energy yet he doesn't seem like he has the energy to speak. The coach sets the tone. He doesn't have the energy to coach so his assistants take over practice and he whines about the team not having energy. I can't wait for TDOS.

It's not as fun to blame people who conduct their business behind closed doors or in private offices. It's easier to get people who do everything out in the open.

We will blame this person or that person but if the people at the top don't get their crap together, you can't expect much from the players. I'd love to chat with people from top to bottom with the goal being to find a solution. The goal is not to point fingers. Serious problems need to be solved.

Last edited:
Please post the last time an NBA Official changed a call after you bitched, raised your hands, or shook your head in disapproval. I've searched archival footage and news reports. I can't seem to locate anything....
You obviously weren't at the Kings-Cavs game last week. They called a flagrant foul on DeMarcus, who did all the things you listed above. They reviewed the play and not only rescinded the flagrant, they ruled no foul at all.

I understand what your point was, but, technically, that's one recent factual example that it can happen.

In all seriousness, venting at least makes you feel better even if it doesn't change a thing. As a fan, I vent each and every game despite the fact that I have no impact on the outcome.

I was there again tonight, unfortunately. What a bunch of overpaid losers, coach and star player(s) included. It's time to clean house and take out the stinking trash.
It's hard not to go in person and come away feeling this way. The arena was dead, and rightfully so. No energy on the court. As Carmichael Dave said in his tweetstorm, a little pride would be nice.

K

KingMilz

What's hilarious to me is everytime Quincy completely falls out of the rotation he's back in like 2 games later at half time cause every other players has basically quit. Even my interest in WCS is starting to die down his defense has not been impressive at all since that 9-6 streak we had earlier in the year and he's the only long term hope I have for this team hopefully he keeps improving.

Team sucks but it was expected I've seen the same characters quit to many times to know something was going to change.

K

KingMilz

I know Jrue Holiday is a massive injury risk but I would trade for him in the off season he's so talented with good size and plays D and has always been a competitor.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So who do you guys like better? Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray or Kris Dunn?
Of those 3 I think Jamal Murray has the best chance to excel in the NBA, but I'm not thrilled with any of them. I think they're all going to struggle initially to adjust to the NBA game. At the SG position, 3 different names come to mind for me...

Jaylen Brown at Cal is at the top of my list if we move up and I think he can play SG at least for his first couple years in the league. He just explodes to the basket. Paul George and Kawhi Leonard had similar profiles coming out of college -- they were considered raw players with inconsistent jumpers and underdeveloped handles who nevertheless impressed with their physicality and athletic ability. You're looking at a dominant two way player here if he puts the whole package together.

Next I actually like Dejounte Murray more than the three guys you mentioned. He's not getting nearly the same exposure because Washington is a West Coast team who didn't make the tournament this year but he's got size/skill attributes that jump off the screen to me. Dejounte Murray is so fast and in-control with the ball he's going to be able to get anywhere he wants to on the court even in the NBA. The jumpshot needs refinement, but he's also using his long arms to come up with steals at an impressive rate so already he's got skills that will keep him on the floor while he works on the jumper. He's having a really impressive Freshman season and just put up a 30, 9, and 5 game yesterday in the first round of the NIT tournament and people aren't even talking about him in the lottery yet. I think he might be the most underrated player in the country right now. Watch some tape of this kid.

And then there's Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot who nobody really knows much about because he plays overseas but he's got ideal size for an NBA SG at 6'7" and flashes a lot of (inconsistent) potential on both sides of the ball. Offensively he can do a lot of things pretty well -- drive to the basket, catch and shoot from outside, make the right pass. Long strides and good touch around the basket account for most of his scoring right now. He reminds me of Dante Exum a little in the way he glides up and down the court looking like he's not expending any energy at all. He's not particularly crafty with the ball but he won't be playing PG like Exum. Defensively he's a mixed bag -- getting lazy at times or losing track of the ball -- but you can see flashes where he's focused and his long arms and solid lateral quickness give him stopper potential. How many times did I just say potential? He's a boom or bust guy but his physical attributes are off the charts which is why you see him projected anywhere from top 10 to mid 20s. With the right coaching he could be another Jimmy Butler and that puts him on the short list for me.

It can be hard to find full games for the international prospects, so here's one to get you started and you can link to some more from there. Timothe is #23 in the pink jersey. You have to be a little bit hardcore to watch these low-res static sideline-cam games with no commentary, but no one said scouting prospects was glamorous. :)

What's hilarious to me is everytime Quincy completely falls out of the rotation he's back in like 2 games later at half time cause every other players has basically quit. Even my interest in WCS is starting to die down his defense has not been impressive at all since that 9-6 streak we had earlier in the year and he's the only long term hope I have for this team hopefully he keeps improving.

Team sucks but it was expected I've seen the same characters quit to many times to know something was going to change.
Sadly due to just how bad Karl has been the players will get another pass from some fans. Here's an idea, suck it up and earn your paycheck. You are playing for the Sacramento Kings, not the Sacramento Karl's.

Sums up my feelings.

I have a few issues with WCS. Firstly, he switches way too much and doesn't recover back to his man on picks. It's not so much an issue for him, because he can stay with guards, but he leaves a guard defending their big. He does that more than any other big on the team. The other big issue is that he has terrible rebounding fundamentals. That comes about due to the aforementioned switching which leaves him on the perimeter, as well as being the weakside helper to block shots. But on top of those reasons there's also the fact that he's probably actively looked to box out less than ten times this entire season. That's something he really has to work on to really be a good defensive player. He has the raw tools and athleticism although he lacks a bit of strength, and I don't doubt he'll get there someday but right now he really isn't that great of a defensive player (nor should we expect him to be as a rookie).

Agree with your point on Acy though. He's been playing well enough to be given some decent minutes, but that means cutting one of Koufos', Cousins' (not happening) or WCS' minutes. Alternatively you could cut Rudy's minutes but I don't think that would go down to well either.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm at this game, to my surprise and regrettably witnessing the most despondent group of professionals I've ever seen shamble through this exercise in necromancy.
They wouldn't/couldn't even high five the dance team when going down the tunnel at halftime.
The dancer had to get a high five from the other dancer.

It's one of the saddest events I've ever attended. I've been going to kings games for thirty years.
My sympathies. I hope you weren't the one paying for the ticket.