[Game] Kings v. Jazz - 3/13/16 - 3 PT, 6 ET

Karl is the worst coach ever. Why to switch Casspi that has the best +/- at the team with Rondo that was the worst player at the team? :/

Thank you! :) I keep saying this when people comment that player effort is the reason we can't defend or secure rebounds. It's not all effort. How are you going to call these guys scrubs when we're playing under-sized at two positions because that's what the coach has decided to do for the entire season? It would take a tremendous effort for us to even be average under that handicap.
Yeah, when people act as if it's all about players simply wanting to win, I always have to ask what difference does the coach make then? This team seems to perceive defense as an inconvenience in between of offensive opportunities, and I refuse to believe it's simply because the players "lack effort".

Boogie did a great job today (1) completely ignoring the refs (2) finding teammates in the half court. This is the Boogie we can build around.

I mentioned this before but even though Karl is epic fail as a coach he did make Boogie a better player by expanding his game.

Not sure what Rondo was out there doing except playing himself out of a new contract.

In the grand scheme of things if these losses net us Dunn or Buddy Hield it is worth it.

Let someone else get swept 4-0 by the Warriors and pretend their season was a success.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Boogie did a great job today (1) completely ignoring the refs (2) finding teammates in the half court. This is the Boogie we can build around.

I mentioned this before but even though Karl is epic fail as a coach he did make Boogie a better player by expanding his game.

Not sure what Rondo was out there doing except playing himself out of a new contract.

In the grand scheme of things if these losses net us Dunn or Buddy Hield it is worth it.

Let someone else get swept 4-0 by the Warriors and pretend their season was a success.
:rolleyes:

If we got swept by the Warriors, we wouldn't be "pretending" that our season was a success.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We definitely need a better number 2 player besides Gay.
I don't know if that's true or not. The Rudy Gay we had with Coach Malone for almost a year was good enough. He was an opportunistic 20 point scorer who shot a very good percentage, got to the line 5 or 6 times a game, and chipped in 3 or 4 assists per game for good measure. This year's version is definitely not cutting it. How much of this is George Karl and how much is Rudy declining physically/checking out mentally/worn out by all the running I can't really say. I can understand replacing him if you just want to wash the foul taste of this season out of your mouth. I'm not convinced that we have to replace him though.

I don't know if that's true or not. The Rudy Gay we had with Coach Malone for almost a year was good enough. He was an opportunistic 20 point scorer who shot a very good percentage, got to the line 5 or 6 times a game, and chipped in 3 or 4 assists per game for good measure. This year's version is definitely not cutting it. How much of this is George Karl and how much is Rudy declining physically/checking out mentally/worn out by all the running I can't really say. I can understand replacing him if you just want to wash the foul taste of this season out of your mouth. I'm not convinced that we have to replace him though.
He could be option number 3 on this team, but relying on him as our #2 won't get us to the playoffs. He has the ability to go off for 30 every night, but also has the chance to put up bad numbers. And by getting a better #2 option with Rudy as our 3rd would likely have us winning more ball games.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Or how much is Rondo freezing him out. There are no assists giving it to Gay when he is going to go ISO and eliminate the assist. There are better players to throw the ball to in order to pad your assist stats.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I will predict this, he WILL get his ass replaced if he doesn't start bringing it for us. He's a primary guy who looks like he's just quit.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I listened to the first quarter or so of this game on the radio, gave up and went to gym and then against my better judgement I watched some of the third quarter and all of the fourth.

Yes, the Kings did enough late to make it look like it was a game, but I think that was more about the Jazz going cold and taking their foot off the gas than the Kings storming back. And it didn't really do anything to take away my frustration from the complete lack of effort to start the game.

I get that the team has lost faith in Karl as a coach. I get that the playoffs are not a real possibility but when the team comes out that flat and listlessly it makes me think that there's not a ton worth salvaging of this roster outside of Cousins.

What am I supposed to look at and think, "yeah, if they only had a real coach this team could compete"? Certainly nothing from Rondo or Gay today. Rudy has never been a great compliment to Cousins and when he just doesn't even bother showing up what's the rationale to keep him? And I don't care how much Cousins might want him back, how can the team resign Rondo to a big money deal when he doesn't show any fire, any real effort on defense and is outplayed by Utah's third string PG?

I'd like to see Cousins, Cauley-Stein, Casspi, Curry and maybe Koufos return next season.

I listened to the first quarter or so of this game on the radio, gave up and went to gym and then against my better judgement I watched some of the third quarter and all of the fourth.

Yes, the Kings did enough late to make it look like it was a game, but I think that was more about the Jazz going cold and taking their foot off the gas than the Kings storming back. And it didn't really do anything to take away my frustration from the complete lack of effort to start the game.

I get that the team has lost faith in Karl as a coach. I get that the playoffs are not a real possibility but when the team comes out that flat and listlessly it makes me think that there's not a ton worth salvaging of this roster outside of Cousins.

What am I supposed to look at and think, "yeah, if they only had a real coach this team could compete"? Certainly nothing from Rondo or Gay today. Rudy has never been a great compliment to Cousins and when he just doesn't even bother showing up what's the rationale to keep him? And I don't care how much Cousins might want him back, how can the team resign Rondo to a big money deal when he doesn't show any fire, any real effort on defense and is outplayed by Utah's third string PG?

I'd like to see Cousins, Cauley-Stein, Casspi, Curry and maybe Koufos return next season.
I'd add Collison to the list of players I'd like back next season, but otherwise, I agree with your post.

hrdboild

Staff member
Or how much is Rondo freezing him out. There are no assists giving it to Gay when he is going to go ISO and eliminate the assist. There are better players to throw the ball to in order to pad your assist stats.
Rondo is a factor, though Rudy Gay was taking about 15.5 shots per game under Coach Malone (and 5.5 free throws) and this year he's down to around 14.5 and 3.5 respectively so it's not a huge difference. Rondo will pass it to anyone who's in a position to score -- you can call it hunting assists, I just call it doing his job. The big difference I think from last year to this year is that we were setting up Rudy a lot more in his favorite spot at the free-throw line extended last year and letting him bully in for a post attempt. This year he's spending a lot more time spotted up at the three point line (pace and space) and while he's still hitting a respectable 36% from out there, he's not getting to the line nearly as much which is why his overall scoring is down.

This is what Malone/PDA got right about using Rudy Gay efficiently when they brought him here from Toronto -- he's deadly attacking the basket from 18-20 feet and below average when he has to start his drive from the three-point line. If we're obsessed with "spacing the floor" by pushing all of our wing players out to the three-point line than we might as well trade Rudy Gay because he's not going to excel in that role. Once again failure to formulate a plan and stick with it for more than a year dooms us to perpetual roster turnover.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kings players are playing to get traded, not playing to prevent from being traded. Why not be nice and accommodate them? Quitters play for their own stats - it's good for their next contract - and take siesta on the defensive end.

Rudy's trade value is not terribly high right now so moving him for value could be difficult. So what I would propose is a different role for him. Maybe he can be the backup 4/3 behind WCS so when Willie gets a rest Rudy can come in put some points on the board. However if we can land R. Anderson I would ship Rudy out asap.

hrdboild

Staff member
Kings players are playing to get traded, not playing to prevent from being traded. Why not be nice and accommodate them? Quitters play for their own stats - it's good for their next contract - and take siesta on the defensive end.
Who quit first -- the players the coach or the front office? If we're going to take a hard-line stance and only allow people to play here who bleed Kings purple and play balls-to-the wall all game no matter what we're not going to be able to put a starting 5 out there much less a full roster. I don't want to say we should take what we can get, but we're not the Lakers. There isn't a long line of superstars itching for their chance to wear a Sacramento jersey. We've been successful in the past when we had a coach who was able to get a lot of production out of players that other teams didn't really want. I don't know how the Sacramento fans can be so eager to dump so many players when we know that attracting top-line talent to play for this team will always be a struggle.

The only way we're getting free agents to come here is by offering them a lot more than they can get elsewhere (only works with role-players) or by offering them a chance to play winning basketball. Cousins alone will attract some players who recognize that an All-NBA big man gives them a chance to win. Obviously a lot of what we're trying this season is flat-out not working but Cousins/Gay/Rondo with a good coach has the potential to lure a top player where Cousins and empty cap room does not. Don't look at this emotionally. Fans are fed up with the losing, I get it. Hitting the reset button isn't going to fix that though, it's only going to make it worse.

Ya, after talking it over with some friends last night, they were able to let me see the light on DMC. We have to deal with the laziness and the T's, if we lose him it is 76ers bad. With him, at least we will always have hope for the future. We definitely need a better number 2 player besides Gay.
Only problem is that the clock is ticking on Cousins. We still have a lot of time, but the enough time is small enough to get just a bit worried.

Shots fired. I was skeptical about the Rondo signing, still am. Would rather have gotten something else besides at PG. We wouldn't be able to post up as effectively, I guessed. I saw some instances where that happened. But I still doubt his stat-padding tendencies, maybe he disguises it for all I know.

Id like to see Collison given the reigns like last season, Rondo is a great passer and is very smart but he is the most ball dominant guard we have had in a long time, even more than Evans or IT and problem is he isnt a threat to score, so he just dribbles a ton and we know he is going to pass eventually. If Cousins is going to stay we must use him as the primary facilitator like he was late last season and was getting a ton of triple doubles. Collison is much more useful at that point than Rondo. His defense is god awful as well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rondo is a factor, though Rudy Gay was taking about 15.5 shots per game under Coach Malone (and 5.5 free throws) and this year he's down to around 14.5 and 3.5 respectively so it's not a huge difference. Rondo will pass it to anyone who's in a position to score -- you can call it hunting assists, I just call it doing his job. The big difference I think from last year to this year is that we were setting up Rudy a lot more in his favorite spot at the free-throw line extended last year and letting him bully in for a post attempt. This year he's spending a lot more time spotted up at the three point line (pace and space) and while he's still hitting a respectable 36% from out there, he's not getting to the line nearly as much which is why his overall scoring is down.

This is what Malone/PDA got right about using Rudy Gay efficiently when they brought him here from Toronto -- he's deadly attacking the basket from 18-20 feet and below average when he has to start his drive from the three-point line. If we're obsessed with "spacing the floor" by pushing all of our wing players out to the three-point line than we might as well trade Rudy Gay because he's not going to excel in that role. Once again failure to formulate a plan and stick with it for more than a year dooms us to perpetual roster turnover.
no identity, no goal, no success. The new motto for the Kings franchise.

Id like to see Collison given the reigns like last season, Rondo is a great passer and is very smart but he is the most ball dominant guard we have had in a long time, even more than Evans or IT and problem is he isnt a threat to score, so he just dribbles a ton and we know he is going to pass eventually. If Cousins is going to stay we must use him as the primary facilitator like he was late last season and was getting a ton of triple doubles. Collison is much more useful at that point than Rondo. His defense is god awful as well.
I'd say that its more because we are using a 2 PG lineup that our defense stinks. Doesn't allow us to mask our small mistakes.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

I honestly don't understand if you agree with me or not. It's a guess on my part based on the idea that Rondo, in his mind, must lead the league in assists. He is looking for one last big contract and leading the league looks good on the resume.

He will pass to the people who will get him the assists. Cuz is #1. I don't know how many assisted baskets Cuz makes a game compared to assisted baskets by Gay but I will bet Cuz is gold to a guy who wants assists.

In my mind and perhaps in my mind only, this quest also explains wild ass passes that end up in the stands or in one way or another become a TO.

I may be wrong but it bothers me that we seem to have lost Gay especially as the season progresses. Rudy used to be a clear Robin to Boogies's Batman but now I am not sure what he is. I am exploring reasons. Perhaps Gay having a child is a problem. Perhaps he is injured. Perhaps Rondo is freezing him out. It all is worth a thought as a decision about Gay is coming up. If his troubles are because of Rondo, that's one thing. If it is Rudy losing his game, that's another.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I honestly don't understand if you agree with me or not. It's a guess on my part based on the idea that Rondo, in his mind, must lead the league in assists. He is looking for one last big contract and leading the league looks good on the resume.

He will pass to the people who will get him the assists. Cuz is #1. I don't know how many assisted baskets Cuz makes a game compared to assisted baskets by Gay but I will bet Cuz is gold to a guy who wants assists.

In my mind and perhaps in my mind only, this quest also explains wild ass passes that end up in the stands or in one way or another become a TO.

I may be wrong but it bothers me that we seem to have lost Gay especially as the season progresses. Rudy used to be a clear Robin to Boogies's Batman but now I am not sure what he is. I am exploring reasons. Perhaps Gay having a child is a problem. Perhaps he is injured. Perhaps Rondo is freezing him out. It all is worth a thought as a decision about Gay is coming up. If his troubles are because of Rondo, that's one thing. If it is Rudy losing his game, that's another.
Regarding Rudy, aren't Rudy and Rondo really close? you would think Rudy would have more motivation or drive to play better than he has, either that or he is regressing. That wouldn't make sense though, isn't he only 30? so it just might be the lack of desire to play for this organization? is that it?

Karl is the worst coach ever. Why to switch Casspi that has the best +/- at the team with Rondo that was the worst player at the team? :/
He essentially said after the game that Omri looked tired and slow, because he had played a lot of minutes earlier in the game.