Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Lakers are a mess and just fired their coach Darvin Ham and LeBron does not seem happy with the situation in LaLaLand.

Maybe the Kings can draft Bronny James at #13 and lure LeBron to Sacramento to reunite with Bronny and Mike Brown! If LeBron wants to play with Bronny bad enough, maybe we get him over here on the MLE. Reunited and it feels so good!
The Kings can probably draft Bronny in the second round if we’re being fair

You could not imagine the fit I would pitch if we drafted Bronny at 13. Could. Not. Imagine.
It would be a (wink-wink) package deal of Bronny and LeBron for the #13 pick, otherwise of course no Bronny at #13.

And if LeBron falls through, I'm sure the Lakers would give up some nice assets (Vanderbilt or Rui plus a couple of future 1st?) to get Bronny to the Lakers to keep LeBron happy.

Last edited:
The Lakers are a mess and just fired their coach Darvin Ham and LeBron does not seem happy with the situation in LaLaLand.

Maybe the Kings can draft Bronny James at #13 and lure LeBron to Sacramento to reunite with Bronny and Mike Brown! If LeBron wants to play with Bronny bad enough, maybe we get him over here on the MLE. Reunited and it feels so good!
Please, no. Bronny is not an NBA player IMO. Getting LeBron for a season or two would likely destroy the team and their future. Just my opinion.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think teams will entertain James by drafting Bronny but I doubt many are inclined to use a FRP and guarantee two years of rookie scale to do it. Maybe towards the end of the 20s.

I was all aboard the Lavine idea until he got hurt once again towards the end of this season. A team just can't rely that he will play for a good portion of the season and being available is as good of an asset as being talented. No doubt that I wouldn't be opposed to dangling Murray if you can get that player that will put you over the top, but who can that player be? its really a gamble and undecided until that player plays in this system and gets familiar with his squad and that won't happen over night either, it may take multiple seasons to figure out whether it works. The other option is, as a small market team, to continue to keep those draft picks and maybe get some luck on your side and find an all-star type of talent in the teens where the Kings will be picking.
For LaVine IMO it would have to be a Beal type of deal where almost literally no value is going out with your package. Huerter and Barnes, maybe Davion, I'd do it if other options fell through if I were Monte. None of those players are factoring in much although Davion looked pretty good once he got a solid role going but over time is he going to be a long term piece as a backup? Probably not at this point. If a player like LaVine returns to 75% of his normal capability he's at least equal to a package like that.

For LaVine IMO it would have to be a Beal type of deal where almost literally no value is going out with your package. Huerter and Barnes, maybe Davion, I'd do it if other options fell through if I were Monte. None of those players are factoring in much although Davion looked pretty good once he got a solid role going but over time is he going to be a long term piece as a backup? Probably not at this point. If a player like LaVine returns to 75% of his normal capability he's at least equal to a package like that.
From last season, the report was the bulls were willing just to get his salary off the book. I believe it doesn’t change much since then. They have White to take his place.

I’m a huge LaVine fan but we can’t take him on at this point in our franchise. We have a narrow window to make the playoffs and LaVine just can’t stay healthy. He’s never going to give us a full season, and he definitely wouldn’t be healthy enough to get into the playoffs. We couldn’t even survive Monk’s injury.

I’m a huge LaVine fan but we can’t take him on at this point in our franchise. We have a narrow window to make the playoffs and LaVine just can’t stay healthy. He’s never going to give us a full season, and he definitely wouldn’t be healthy enough to get into the playoffs. We couldn’t even survive Monk’s injury.
That's kind of the catch 22 though, he's only lacking value because of his injuries and team situation right now. The Kings downturn in play was starting long before Monk got injured. Perhaps LaVine can regain the form he had in the 2 years prior to last season and wouldn't have to carry as much as he did for the Bulls being next to Fox, Keegan, and Domas. He wouldn't be my top option if I were GM, but on the list for sure.

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but if we lose Monk, Bones Hyland might be a really good, low key addition/replacement.

In fact, it would remind me a lot of our Monk signing two years ago. He hasn’t really found his place in the league quite yet (similar to Monk at the time). However, he’s still pretty young (23) and is a guy who can not only get his own bucket, but he can also playmake for others while providing floor spacing. He’s got a similar slender build as Monk and he’s also very quick like Monk. He’s basically the same height as Monk (6’2” w/o shoes) but his length is actually quite better than Monk (6’9.25” wingspan and a 8’5.5” standing reach while Monk has a 6’3.5” wingspan and a 8’3” standing reach).

He’s a RFA so we wouldn’t be able to trade for him. We’d have to use our exception/part of our exception to try and sign him outright (assuming LAC doesn’t simply match our offer).

Last edited:
You guys (i.e., the usual suspects who can't see past their nose because of team/player love-blindness), are going to hate me for saying this.... but I think the Kings have already passed their window. There is no feasible way that I can see the Kings winning a title, unless the Kings FO comes up with an anomaly of a trade that even I didn't or can't see coming... or unless Murray takes a massive giant step forward.

Last summer was the time to act... and by act, I mean to trade Harrison Barnes for an upgrade. The Kings FO have dragged their feet on that... and now Barnes is not even a tradable asset with positive value.

Fox and Sabonis are awesome.... but they're not cream of the crop. Murray is awesome too, but as the 3rd option. Brown is a nice coach, but he's not going to be out-coaching anyone on the way to an NBA title. Anyway, this squad has no chance of hanging with Denver, Minny, OKC and the Mavericks as currently constructed. Just my honest and humble opinion. I said it all summer long last year, last summer was the time to make a move that mattered. Sigh...

Anyway, I've been right about everything else I've posted, so... if you don't like my viewpoint, you can just simply... sukk it. :eek:

Last edited:
You guys (i.e., the usual suspects who can't see past their nose because of team/player love-blindness), are going to hate me for saying this.... but I think the Kings have already passed their window. There is no feasible way that I can see the Kings winning a title, unless the Kings FO comes up with an anomaly of a trade that even I didn't or can't see coming... or unless Murray takes a massive giant step forward.

Last summer was the time to act... and by act, I mean to trade Harrison Barnes for an upgrade. The Kings FO have dragged their feet on that... and now Barnes is not even a tradable asset with positive value.

Fox and Sabonis are awesome.... but they're not cream of the crop. Murray is awesome too, but as the 3rd option. Brown is a nice coach, but he's not going to be out-coaching anyone on the way to an NBA title. Anyway, this squad has no chance of hanging with Denver, Minny, OKC and the Mavericks as currently constructed. Just my honest and humble opinion. I said it all summer long last year, last summer was the time to make a move that mattered. Sigh...

Anyway, I've been right about everything else I've posted, so... if you don't like my viewpoint, you can just simply... sukk it. :eek:
What was the move that you posted last offseason that you think they should have done?

So essentially you have concluded every player has reached their ceiling? Fox and Sabonis are who they are and won’t get any better? Keegan Murray, Keon Ellis, Davion Mitchell, Colby Jones have all capped out in terms of who they are as players?

In your last sentence of the post you spelled wrong, wrong

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

The Kings have an overall winning record against all four of those teams.

If that were the case then really it's more that the Kings window was never actually even open which might have been the case. Monte DID try and make moves then settled on the run it back scheme. He didn't bloat his cap for all time though and as it is, he might have some options for a reset. Re-signing Monk to his max would likely kill that though. Again, any given year the competition dictates what you are unless you are guaranteed in that top range of teams that set the pace. The Kings weren't. 3 seeds that win 48 games means more about the way the conference is constructed than anything. The Kings hung in with the defending champs last playoffs, but guess what, nope, they weren't the bar any longer. We can see that now without question. Teams in the same range as the Kings loaded up and all it takes is a few and if and when they do you rise or fall. The Kings fell, not too far, but fall they did.

So essentially you have concluded every player has reached their ceiling? Fox and Sabonis are who they are and won’t get any better? Keegan Murray, Keon Ellis, Davion Mitchell, Colby Jones have all capped out in terms of who they are as players?
Kind of. Murray and Ellis can and will get better. Fox and Sabonis are already 26 and 27. They probably can't play much better than they are now?

The thing is though... I've been watching the Celtics, Nuggets, Timberpuppies, Mavericks and Thunder playoff matches. The Kings need to cover some distance just to reach their level, then go some distance more to overtake them. And I just don't know where or how the improvement is going to come from, that will be needed to beat them all next season.

The Kings definitely need a trade to improve on Barnes. Guess we will have to see if Monte can pull something out of his hat.

Last edited:
Kind of. Murray and Ellis can and will get better. Fox and Sabonis are already 26 and 27. They probably can't play much better than they are now?

The thing is though... I've been watching the Celtics, Nuggets, Timberpuppies, Mavericks and Thunder playoff matches. The Kings need to cover some distance just to reach their level, then go some distance more to overtake them. And I just don't know where or how the improvement is going to come from, that will be needed to beat them all next season.

The Kings definitely need a trade to improve on Barnes. Guess we will have to see if Monte can pull something out of his hat.
That’s fair and you may be right, but I don’t think Fox and Sabonis being 26 and 27 is enough evidence to support that they won’t get better. We have seen players take leaps well in their late 20s and even early 30s (Nash, Brook Lopez, Steph was better in his early 30s vs his mid 20s) especially as shooters. Keegan is a big TBD, we don’t know how much better he can get. Then the young guards Ellis, Davion and Colby Jones have a chance to be solid starters.