Kings sign Yogi Ferrell for 2years/$6.2M

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like this signing and it adds another talent player to our bench unit. So we've got:

Fox / Yogi / Mason
Bogdanovic / Buddy / McLemore

I'd say that's a solid back court unit and could be good to watch. I'm guessing Shumpert or Bogdanovic will play some SF with the other at SG, unless of course McLemore doesn't suit up for us.
I'm willing to bet Ben won't see training camp.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like it. The year Yogi had last year is the year Mason would have this year if he develops. The competition is good. Produce or sit! I like having three PGs so you can always push tempo, have options in case of injury or in case one guy struggling. When I break down a PG the I first thing I look if they keep their dribble under duress and get into the lane under pressure? Thats what Yogi does. This is what Mason can do too. This is what Collin Sexton does too by the way and did impressively in Summer League and why I rate him over Trae Young.

The reflexive response to Yogi will be "This is the END of Mason...." or something like this. No it is not. It is notice that the kid needs to play with a sense of urgency like he did to start last year. He needs to earn those minutes or he will have to sit and wait his chance. It will come. The other reason I like this move is it gives the coach more options to play small ball and move Boggy or Buddy to the three.

I don't think we are done at least we should not be. I say we go after Capela. :p . I am not crazy about Bjelica. He's okay. He's serviceable who probably did not show as much as he can do in Minnesota. But we need a difference maker, a proven young star. This guy is Capela. I don't know why the Kings are not being more aggressive in going after him. If they are penciling in Willie for major or starter minutes, it is a depressing plan. They are destining themselves to mediocrity with Willie who will likely be gone by this time next year! Get rid of him now for Capella then we will have a summer to be excited about.
Because Vlade doesn't want to spend that much money on him, but we have a whole thread devoted to the discussion of Capela.

Love the move by Vlade they realised Mason is not very good and Yogi gives us another shooter and another elite speed demon, he can also play as a off ball SG if we want to run the ball through someone else or if other teams play two PG line ups and both Yogi/Fox are playing well.

The saddest thing about this is Jerry retired without getting to call Yogi's name and give one of his classic liners, I say they bring Jerry back just for one game.

I had Yogi on my fantasy team last year (deep league) I got to watch him quite a bit. Solid plater. Played with Dennis Smith Jr a lot, Didn't need the ball in his hands. Despite looking like a point guard, he is more of a combo guard. Also, he played D. Earned his minutes. Carlisle seemed to like him and trust him. Solid signing. Now get Bjelica and take a salary for a 1 and call it an off season

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I heard Napear interview the Dallas TV basketball announcer. He said that Yogi is a good defensive player, will pick up the D in the back court, that he's a very good shooter off the dribble, good in the open court, good in the clutch, good guy, good teammate, and hard worker. He was disappointed in Yogi leaving, but understands for financial reasons he needs to do so.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I heard the vision and optimism from Vlade and Brandon, and got a view of the culture and direction from veterans I look up to, and that was impactful,” Ferrell told Yahoo Sports. “I see the explosive potential from a starving young group that wants to open the floor up with more shooting and play with speed and smarts.:" - Yahoo article

I had Yogi on my fantasy team last year (deep league) I got to watch him quite a bit. Solid plater. Played with Dennis Smith Jr a lot, Didn't need the ball in his hands. Despite looking like a point guard, he is more of a combo guard. Also, he played D. Earned his minutes. Carlisle seemed to like him and trust him. Solid signing. Now get Bjelica and take a salary for a 1 and call it an off season
So he's like a poor poor mans Donovan Mitchell? I'll take it lol.

I heard the vision and optimism from Vlade and Brandon, and got a view of the culture and direction from veterans I look up to, and that was impactful,” Ferrell told Yahoo Sports. “I see the explosive potential from a starving young group that wants to open the floor up with more shooting and play with speed and smarts.:" - Yahoo article
What is nice is that Yogi came to the Kings because he wanted to play for the Kings. ;)

The money difference was minimal and pretty much equal, considering the higher state taxes and cost of living in California compared to Texas. So, it wasn't a money grab by Yogi.

Plus, Yogi is young enough (25) to grow with our young core. He can definitely help keep up the pace and spread the floor when Fox is out of the game. Nice signing. :)

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
something about small PGs that Kings have an infatuation with, not to say I don't like Yogi. He plays hard and is a tough little waterbug, he will help the team more off the bench than Mason and he needs some competition anyway because it breeds excellence.

Maybe try harder? ;)
I did. I am on his camp too but I gotta be fair and give our young lil soldier a chance to prove me wrong. Plus the way I look at it, Bagley is a high-energy high-character guy similar to KG, Doncic might be great but he is going to go through the whole fresh off the boat phrase in both being in America and the NBA, IMO he's a better fit at Mavs. Bagley works out well as far as his character with the rest of our squad being young and lack of identity, he and Fox can and will set the tone.

(Sorry for going off-topic. That's all I wanna say.)

Another good thing about Yogi is that on some nights he can completely change a game, even take it over.

Most nights he’ll reliably drop 8-10 points, a few assists, a few rebounds and play hard defensively but there will be that night where he just blows up for 20+off the bench.

Could be the best Kings backup PG since Bobby Jackson.

Big steal.

Buddy and Yogi are going to destroy most 2nd backcourts