Kings sign Carl Landry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Landry fan. But I have no way to justify paying him this much yet we wont pay Evans 44m to stay. Especially when we already have ppat and JT who are both better.
For now im gonna assume they have a trade for one of those guys in the works. If not im gonna start to get worried.

so yeah, trade somebody. good idea. anybody seriously think another team wants what we're selling, though? I see lots of sub-average players on middling salaries that don't at all fit the mold of what works in the NBA. with that we're supposed to acquire an impact player? if PDA could swing that, I'll be hella impressed and all the anxiety about what has happened so far would be gone. seeing however, that so far, every move has been a disappointment, it seems unlikely.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I like the move for Landry. If you move JT to Center and we can use P Pat and Landry at PF. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW NEGATIVE THIS BOARD HAS BECOME. Lets let management do their job and criticize later if it doesn't work out.
Yep, a reminder why I usually just read and not post. Every move meant with "the sky is falling" attitude. I like Landry at that salary. Keep increasing the talent base so that we can make further moves. This is not a 1 week or 1 month project thanks to the previous organization. I've been ok with the moves...yeah, I'd like to see who our SF is going to be but at least we are getting assets. Setting up a trade at some point.

Everyone needs to be quiet and think logically..... Do you really believe the Kings are going to sport a team with IT,McCallum,Vasquez,Thornton, and Jimmer as Guards... then Cousins, Hayes, JT, Patterson, and Landry at PF with no solution at the SF spot? No.... I can pretty much guarantee that one or two of the players mentioned above are going to shipped away. It makes to much sense.
I agree and with this Landry addition Il'm inclined to think its more likely at least two big trades. And, if so, there'll be a lot more fodder for our drama queens who have been so entertainingly providing unrelenting drama in the posts above and elsewhere these past few days.

Last edited:
I agree and with this Landry addition Il'm inclined to think its more likely at least two big trades. And, if so, there'll be a lot more fodder for our drama queens who have been so entertainingly proving unrelenting drama in the posts above and elsewhere these past few days.
Everyone defending these moves sure is certain its easy to trade away our garbage for good pieces.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I agree and with this Landry addition I'm inclined to think its more likely at least two big trades. And, if so, there'll be a lot more fodder for our drama queens who have been so entertainingly proving unrelenting drama in the posts above and elsewhere these past few days.
Can you please refrain from throwing personal insults at those of us whose opinion it is that the front office has not been making good player personnel decisions so far this offseason? I have not used, and I promise to continue to avoid using any personal insults against those of us here who think the moves so far are just fine, or are optimistic that when the next shoe drops it will all make sense. Thanks.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
JT probably did the same math I did. Tyreke wanted to come back to Sacramento so bad he was practically crying in his interview with news 10 and Pete told him we can't afford you at $44 million... but we can afford Landry at $26 million. R u kidding me is right.

I agree and with this Landry addition Il'm inclined to think its more likely at least two big trades. And, if so, there'll be a lot more fodder for our drama queens who have been so entertainingly proving unrelenting drama in the posts above and elsewhere these past few days.
Yes. and for those asking me how i came to the conclusion that we got better....... Yes we lost Evans, but his contribution to our team as a whole was marginal. He was a good defender, but we were still a god awful defensive team. He could score but our team was full of scorers who could more than make up for his absence. He wasn't a great play maker and didn't make the players around him better. In my mind the biggest loss was Evans defense, but as i said earlier one good defender does not a good defensive team make. Either this team is going to learn to play defense under Malone or it isn't and Evans wouldn't have made a difference in that regard.

I held my tongue for the FO letting tyreke go for Grevis, giving them the benefit of the doubt & hoping they know better.

Both JT & PP are better, cheaper & younger than Landry.

One other thing that JT and PP have in common, is that they are more trade-able than Landry. So, gotta imagine that PDA has either one, or both of those guys departing in a future trade.

Also, I hope the 4th year of the contract is a team option (in regards to Landry)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So we are going to support our franchise cornerstone by signing a redundant piece to play next to him? DMC and Landry do not work together. This is not even a theoretical. It has been proven. You can't have two low post scorers on the floor at the same time when one of them is only valuable as a low post scorer. Can't defend, can't rebound. I am starting to get this sick feeling that DMC may be gone after this year.
Sorry, I'm confused! How did you get from signing Landry, to Cuz being gone? Am I missing something? First off, Landry is a good player, and maybe they expect him to come off the bench, and not necessarily be starting next to Cuz. I have no idea, but I'm willing to wait and find out. Its also obvious to me that there's another move coming. They didn't go out and sign Landry so they could have a glut in the front line. It appears to me that their patching a hole in advance of creating one. As for Landry and Cousins not being able to play together, well, maybe if they had a coach the first time around that could design plays that worked well with the two of them together there might have been a different outcome.

On the other hand, its july 6th, and everything is going to hell in a handbasket, so personally I'm going to go and kill myself. I mean there's no hope. It probably would have been better if the team had moved to Seattle. That way we'd all feel better!

Oh no. I just heard we might try to sign Sam Young. Please god no.

Indiana Pacers free agent Sam Young is drawing significant interest from the Sacramento Kings on a possible one-year contract, league sources told RealGM.

Young, 28, averaged 2.8 points and 2.2 rebounds last season, playing part in the Pacers’ rotation as an established wing defender.

Young spent his first two seasons with the Memphis Grizzlies, and he was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers in 2012 before signing a free agent deal with the Pacers last offseason.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228700/Kings-Pursuing-Sam-Young

JT tweets Wow. sombody said had hastag of #rukiddingme. that has been removed.
JT like IT is one of my favorite Kings. Just a solid, young big who is a good guy on and off the floor. No reason for the constant trade talk surrounding him when we have a roster largely comprised of less inspiring players

One other thing that JT and PP have in common, is that they are more trade-able than Landry. So, gotta imagine that PDA has either one, or both of those guys departing in a future trade.

Also, I hope the 4th year of the contract is a team option (in regards to Landry)
Player option. And since we aren't trading Landry, It will be JT or Patterson, both of whom fit better next to cuz and are better defenders. So either way, we likely downgraded what we need out of our pf spot.

Exactly the kind of move we don't need.

We should be either rebuilding, or contending. Had it been a one/two year deal, it might have still made a little sense. Tying up huge amount of our space in a piece that we don't need at all is plain silly.

Nothing against Landry. He's a good player who played well everywhere he's gone (except us, maybe. But that was a different coach). But where will he see minutes, unless he steals them from PPat/JT? Plus, don't we already have an overpaid, veteran, locker room presence big guy, ex Rocket on our team? Why did we need to add another?

Given that we are unlikely to sign a good FA, we need to use our cap space to collect assets, like Utah did. Signing middling FAs will keep us in perpetual mediocrity.

Everyone defending these moves sure is certain its easy to trade away our garbage for good pieces.
I don't. I think we'll give our garbage away to anybody that wants to take it for something. And because most of those players have 2 years or less on their contracts, we won't give up anything to dump garbage. Instead, a lot of garbage will just walk away.

I think we'll slowly add pieces in FA, the draft, and a salary dump that makes sense for the long term. This board represents 99%
of the world that values most of our roster. Our GM doesn't and he has ownerships backing The plan is clear at this point. Folks here just don't like it.

Indiana Pacers free agent Sam Young is drawing significant interest from the Sacramento Kings on a possible one-year contract, league sources told RealGM.

Young, 28, averaged 2.8 points and 2.2 rebounds last season, playing part in the Pacers’ rotation as an established wing defender.

Young spent his first two seasons with the Memphis Grizzlies, and he was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers in 2012 before signing a free agent deal with the Pacers last offseason.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228700/Kings-Pursuing-Sam-Young
Prepare your bodies NBA....

I like the move for Landry. If you move JT to Center and we can use P Pat and Landry at PF. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW NEGATIVE THIS BOARD HAS BECOME. Lets let management do their job and criticize later if it doesn't work out.
This! And LOL at ANYONE negatively assigning blame on this signing to PDA. This is Malone's guy thru and thru... Carl buys into Malone 100% and frickin loves the man. Great team guy, great post scorer off the bench. If we build our offense around scoring in the post we gotta have a plan B if Demarcus is in foul trouble or something. Everyone has been freaking out about scoring now that Evans is gone... here's some more offense. Good signing... WELCOME BACK CARL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.