Kings select for the 8th pick - Nik Stauskas

For those comparing Ben to Nik in terms of shooting coming out of college, it's a ridiculous comparison. Ben was a good shooter coming out of school, Nik is elite. We would watch him in pre-game shoot arounds knock down 25 straight from the corner, miss one, and then knock down 25 more in a row. His ability to knock down open 3s translated to the games, and it was a shock, a SHOCK, when he missed an uncontested jumper.

I think he can play some 1, but not full time. Running him at PG with Demarcus on the court will work since most of the offense would be initiated through post action. Nik's ability in the PNR is well documented. I see there are concerns with his ability to blow past his man. I've seen countless situations where all Nik does his hesitate to make it look like he's going up for a shot, and the defender panics, allowing Nik to get past him. It's true that he probably can't get past his guy on a straight dribble drive, but his shot is so deadly that it sets up all other aspects to his game.
Sounds like what everyone was saying about Jimmer.

We won't know what he can do in the NBA until he does it. I don't think think Nik is like Jimmer in the sense that he is bigger and played in a better conference against future NBA players. But I'm not ready to declare him an all star or even a starter.

Ben DID make an impact.

He was one of the very worst big minute rookies in the entire history of the league. He actively cost us wins. He was a hell of an impact player. He was practically playing for the opposing team.
I knew that was coming.

I'm not a stats guy. I understand it and know it has it's place. But when I coach, if I relied on stats, I'd be missing the point. Ben was in a terrible situation for his style of play. The coaches knew this, but couldn't do much about it due to the composition of the team. Instead, the staff tried to change Ben's game.

Beginning of the season, Ben was running around, coming off screens. Hustling to get open. A quarter of the way through the season, they kept trying to get Ben to take his man off the dribble. That wasn't his game, so there was a learning curve. So yeah, his confidence was shot. End of season, they start running plays for Ben. All of a sudden he starts playing better. Stats don't tell you that the team was using a player wrong.

We won't know what he can do in the NBA until he does it. I don't think think Nik is like Jimmer in the sense that he is bigger and played in a better conference against future NBA players. But I'm not ready to declare him an all star or even a starter.
As you shouldn't. But the fact that he's mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmer is unfair to Nik. Had Sacramento never drafted Jimmer, the perception of Stauskas would be much more favorable.

I guess my question would be, did you watch McLemore play, and did you watch Stauskas play? The numbers mean nothing. other than the results on paper were the same, but how they got those numbers wasn't the same. I'm not going to bash Mclemore in order to defend the pick of Stauskas. That's a pointless exercise. All I'll say is that they are different players, and for the most part the biggest difference between them, other than physical differences, is what's between their ears. McLemore is pure energy with great tools. Everything he needs to be great is sitting there, and so far, mostly unused. Hopefully that will change. Stauskas has discovered his tools and is having a great time using them. His BBIQ is outstanding, where McLemore is just learning to read the BBIQ book. Where McLemore is finding his way, slowly groping through the dark, Stauskas is confident, and almost cocky as he runs over you.

You want someone to take a big shot with the game on the line, just turn to Stauskas. The kid has ice water in his veins. He'll hit the shot, and smile at you before and after shooting it. If the Kings were to start camp and let McLemore and Stauskas go head to head for the staring job at the two, I have no doubt that Stauskas would easily win the job. This isn't a knock on Ben, its an affirmation of Nik. Ben will get there, and even if they decide to keep Ben as the starter, Nik can easily get 24 to 26 minutes backing up Ben for the most part, and also grabbing a few minutes at SF behind Gay, and a few minutes at PG as well. Stauskas is a very good passer, ballhandler, and shot creater. Although he's a terrific shooter, he's also a very unselfish player, who will always pass to the open man.

Actually, if somehow we can keep IT and bring him off the bench, I think the duo of IT and Stauskas together off the bench could be a deadly pairing. Just a silly dream I had.
i do agree with all of this. I think the biggest thing that seperates them is Nik's ability to shoot off the dribble and get to the rim. And i do think that even though the numbers in college were close, Nik will be the better NBA shooter

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What's up fellas? I'm a student at Michigan who happens to be a big Kings fan due to DMC. To me, he's the best offensive big man in the league. I was looking for somewhere to discuss the pick with other Kings fans (not many here in MI, although more now than ever) and came across this site.

My thoughts: Stauskas was a good selection. Having the #8 pick was a little tough, as it seems it's a spot where you just miss out on the truly "top" tier in the draft. His shooting is well marked already, and everyone is mentioning his underrated athleticism. Watching every home game live this past season, I can tell you two things about Nik: 1) He is a fiery competitor and no moment is too big for him and 2) He is willing to work to get where he knows he wants to be.

It's true that his defense is below par right now, but it's not due to effort. Once he gets stronger and Coach Malone works with him on the fundamentals, I think he can, at the very least, hold his own. He can come in and immediately knock down 3s from anywhere on the court, facilitate the offense, and contribute to the culture the front office is trying to build.

Bright times are ahead for the Kings. I'm just glad I hopped on the bandwagon before they start. Seeing the passion Sactown has for the team over the past few years has been incredible, and I'm looking forward to the brighter days ahead!
Welcome to Kingsfans.com. You've come to the right place. Just one thing? We're not all "fellas". ;)

As you shouldn't. But the fact that he's mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmer is unfair to Nik. Had Sacramento never drafted Jimmer, the perception of Stauskas would be much more favorable.
It is indeed unfair but it's also inevitable. We Kings fans have become cynical and untrusting because of what we've been through. We have a natural tendency to embrace our new player and hope for the best. After a couple of dismal failures, however, along with all the drama we endured during the Maloof regime, it's hard for us to not look for the dark lining to every silver cloud.

Rest assured, however, that we will embrace Nik and give him a rousing welcome. All he has to do is his job and he'll win our hearts.

Last edited:
I knew that was coming.

I'm not a stats guy. I understand it and know it has it's place. But when I coach, if I relied on stats, I'd be missing the point. Ben was in a terrible situation for his style of play. The coaches knew this, but couldn't do much about it due to the composition of the team. Instead, the staff tried to change Ben's game.

Beginning of the season, Ben was running around, coming off screens. Hustling to get open. A quarter of the way through the season, they kept trying to get Ben to take his man off the dribble. That wasn't his game, so there was a learning curve. So yeah, his confidence was shot. End of season, they start running plays for Ben. All of a sudden he starts playing better. Stats don't tell you that the team was using a player wrong.
or if your frozen out of the offense.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Jimmer was undersized and a one trick pony.

Nik has legit 2 guard size and can handle and pass.

The lack of defense and the fit are my only issues with the pick, I think we have ourselves a good prospect. Hopefully PDA can move Ben and get us something good in return. I have the feeling he was a bit overconfident on draft night about his ability to make a deal centered on Ben, and that bit him on the ass.

PDA has his work cut out for him.

I don't think the two are really connected. Stauskas without a doubt will have more success at this level than Jimmer. Jimmer might be in Europe in a few months. I don't believe anyone is really down on Stauskas the player.

The problem many have is the situation surrounding this as it pertains to our roster, our FO and filling more important needs. We're terrible defensively and this doesn't solve that issue. We need a PG and this doesn't solve that issue. We need frontcourt defense and this doesn't solve that issue. We need veteran help and this doesn't solves that issue. Picking Stauskas is our FO admitting they blew our pick last year on Ben. There's not room to develop both. This hurts Ben's trade value and now that the rest of the league knows we're somewhat forced to move Ben, the offers will likely be lower than if we weren't. It's also once again a sign our FO puts shooting at the top of the list of needs rather than defense, despite all the talk and rumors. It brings a situation where we might be more likely to keep IT, which when paired with a Stauskas or Ben equates to having a terrible defensive backcourt and sets us up for IT playing some SG off Stauskas, which isn't a good situation. It also heavily suggests our FO and coach are not on the same page, as one keeps harping on wanting defensive players and being a defensive minded coach while other keeps giving him offensive minded and non-defensive players to fill out the roster.

It's really everything surrounding the pick which is the problem. Our FO doesn't appear to have a plan, doesn't appear to value defense and is working to fix mistakes they've made in the last year. This doesn't only correct the Ben mistake, Landry/JT for Smith was an attempt to correct that stupid Landry mistake. Then we hear there's mutual interest in bringing Vasquez back. Many aren't happy because the apparent blueprint to build our team resembles Den or GS part II rather than something which we can build on and have playoff success with. The talk we hear is one thing, the moves suggest and up and down, non-defensive team.

Last edited:
Jimmer was undersized and a one trick pony.

Nik has legit 2 guard size and can handle and pass.

The lack of defense and the fit are my only issues with the pick, I think we have ourselves a good prospect. Hopefully PDA can move Ben and get us something good in return. I have the feeling he was a bit overconfident on draft night about his ability to make a deal centered on Ben, and that bit him on the ass.

PDA has his work cut out for him.
If he can replace Pizza Guy with a PG who is a legit defender then the Stauskas pick could work out fine

rainmaker - you've been talking so damn much common (and uncommon) sense this past year+, I've frequently had to look up at the revolving avatar and seen that it's you. Just such great analysis coming from you, you're an important voice on the site.

PDA sure hasn't done much to show the world that he has any clue what putting together a cohesive basketball team looks like.

Stauskas reminds me a tiny bit of Danny Ainge. He's somewhere between Klay Thompson and Danny Ainge. Not on a talent standpoint, but in playstyle. Klay is far more athletic and taller. Ainge had a bit better handling skills and was crazier.

Welcome to Kingsfans.com. You've come to the right place. Just one thing? We're not all "fellas". ;)

It is indeed unfair but it's also inevitable. We Kings fans have become cynical and untrusting because of what we've been through. We have a natural tendency to embrace our new player and hope for the best. After a couple of dismal failures, however, along with all the drama we endured during the Maloof regime, it's hard for us to not look for the dark lining to every silver cloud.

Rest assured, however, that we will embrace Nik and give him a rousing welcome. All he has to do is his job and he'll win our hearts.
Noted on the first post, :D.

And I understand the suspicion with every incoming player. Being a Pistons fan as well, I get it. Puts me in a tough spot with the Josh Smith rumors, since I want him out of Detroit but I don't necessarily want him in Sacramento. That's A LOT of shots that need to go around between IT, Stauskas, Rudy, Smith, and DMC.

At pick 8 yesterday I don't believe you would find anyone closer to being an immediate starter, and he isn't, than Stauskas. So save your starter/all star business for some other time and some other place. If next season he turns out to be an excellent backup then PDA is the winner I think he is.

I knew that was coming.

Forget stats, just watch as Ben played and then started for a long part of the season- all by himself he was awful and when you looked at the aspects of his game that made him awful you saw that he couldn't pass, catch the ball, dribble, etc. and he usually used his speed on defense to literally go the wrong way. So please don't lay his showing at the feet of the coaching. Will he come around? I hope so but I'm not looking for any miracles to begin the season, better? I think so but far from a contributing part of the offense no matter how many points he scores. The acquisition of Nik will help Ben's development I think.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
or if your frozen out of the offense.
You shoot 37% you should be frozen out of the offense.

Fact is Ben should not have been on the floor last year. just not NBA ready, really in any aspect. Couldn't ever shoot, which is his thing. Let alone something really advanced like dribbling or defending. If he'd been stuck at the back of the bench getting sporadic mopup duty where he could get a couple of cheap garbagetime dunks every few games we'd feel much better about him, although obviously it would still be a real waste of a Top 10 pick. But he was simply not good enough to be an NBAer last year. And he got more minutes than almost any other kid that bad has ever gotten.

Anyway, Stauskas is an opposite case. He's a realized talent. He belongs in a class of players that include Marco Bellinelli, Gordon Hayward, Manu Ginobili at the high end. Universally useful guys. Saavy guys. The problem with him is just going to be physically. He's weak, a weak rebounder, and has the potential to get smoked defensively. What I need to see is whether his ballhandling/saavy is enough to overcome middling quickness at this level. if it is, even with the defensive issues he's a guy ready to make plays at this level. If its not...well, we haven't got a pick right since Boogie, so why start now. People wonder why we haven't gotten out of the morass, and its really quite simple, 6 years into our Top 10 pick era, we had one partial hit with Reke, one full hit with Boogie, then miss, miss, and miss (incomplete). We have one player out of 5 years of Top 10 picks contributing to the team. That's how you stay bad.

At pick 8 yesterday I don't believe you would find anyone closer to being an immediate starter, and he isn't, than Stauskas. So save your starter/all star business for some other time and some other place. If next season he turns out to be an excellent backup then PDA is the winner I think he is.
I was using starter to prove a point that it was too early to say what Nik is going to be. I didn't even say he wouldn't start. But you put him in as a backup. That's on you. Save your backup business for another time.

I don't even have anything bad to say about Nik. I don't dislike him. I would have preferred to use an 8 pick on a different type of player.

As for PDA, it's all about production. He's been given a couple years to turn it around. I'm waiting for the plan to come into focus.

I don't think the two are really connected. Stauskas without a doubt will have more success at this level than Jimmer. Jimmer might be in Europe in a few months. I don't believe anyone is really down on Stauskas the player.

The problem many have is the situation surrounding this as it pertains to our roster, our FO and filling more important needs. We're terrible defensively and this doesn't solve that issue. We need a PG and this doesn't solve that issue. We need frontcourt defense and this doesn't solve that issue. We need veteran help and this doesn't solves that issue. Picking Stauskas is our FO admitting they blew our pick last year on Ben. There's not room to develop both. This hurts Ben's trade value and now that the rest of the league knows we're somewhat forced to move Ben, the offers will likely be lower than if we weren't. It's also once again a sign our FO puts shooting at the top of the list of needs rather than defense, despite all the talk and rumors. It brings a situation where we might be more likely to keep IT, which when paired with a Stauskas or Ben equates to having a terrible defensive backcourt and sets us up for IT playing some SG off Stauskas, which isn't a good situation. It also heavily suggests our FO and coach are not on the same page, as one keeps harping on wanting defensive players and being a defensive minded coach while other keeps giving him offensive minded and non-defensive players to fill out the roster.

It's really everything surrounding the pick which is the problem. Our FO doesn't appear to have a plan, doesn't appear to value defense and is working to fix mistakes they've made in the last year. This doesn't only correct the Ben mistake, Landry/JT for Smith was an attempt to correct that stupid Landry mistake. Then we hear there's mutual interest in bringing Vasquez back. Many aren't happy because the apparent blueprint to build our team resembles Den or GS part II rather than something which we can build on and have playoff success with. The talk we hear is one thing, the moves suggest and up and down, non-defensive team.
I think the moves and reports that we have seen and seem to be moving in conflicting directions will fall in a pattern that will be moe logical to us all, just keep following the bouncing ball, the pattern will emerge. I believe there is a plan and I have a great deal of confidence in PDA and the FO. Patience.

Forget stats, just watch as Ben played and then started for a long part of the season- all by himself he was awful and when you looked at the aspects of his game that made him awful you saw that he couldn't pass, catch the ball, dribble, etc. and he usually used his speed on defense to literally go the wrong way. So please don't lay his showing at the feet of the coaching. Will he come around? I hope so but I'm not looking for any miracles to begin the season, better? I think so but far from a contributing part of the offense no matter how many points he scores. The acquisition of Nik will help Ben's development I think.
My post explained that I did watch him play in different situations. When he was better and when he was worse.

Anyway, Stauskas is an opposite case. He's a realized talent. He belongs in a class of players that include Marco Bellinelli, Gordon Hayward, Manu Ginobili at the high end. Universally useful guys.
You keep bringing up Ginobli so I'm going to guess you're serious about that. Though I have a feeling you're going to have to back track on it. If we get a Reddick type player, I'm good with it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You keep bringing up Ginobli so I'm going to guess you're serious about that. Though I have a feeling you're going to have to back track on it. If we get a Reddick type player, I'm good with it.
no, its a different class of player.

Stauskas isn't as good as Manu, but you have to compare traits. Stauskas is a creater, both for himself and others. Hence he's Manu class, not Reddick or Klay Thompson class. Its also the trait that gives him a chance to be a real contributor. He can handle, he can create. Shooters are a dime a dozen. Shooters who can make plays...well, then a guy has a chance.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I watched Nik play over 20 times this past season. Some of the games I watched twice. You tell me which game he struggled in. You tell me who it was that, as you say. that got up in his grill and made him struggle. I never saw it. The player that I thought did the best job guarding him this past season was Gary Harris, and he still scored around 20 points a game against him while shooting 40% from the three. He's a very smart, crafty player that takes what's there, and seldon forces things. He's one of the best pick and roll players in college. He really knows how to use a pick. When Nik uses a pick, and his defender tries to go over the pick, he turns the corner and heads to the basket where he either finishes, dishes to a teammate, or stops on a dime and takes a stepback fadeaway.
If his defender goes under the pick, its'money in the bank. He only needs a small amount of daylight to get his shot off.

Is he perfect? Of course not. Like any rookie, he's going to have his bumps along the road. But unlike both Jimmer, and McLemore, Stauskas is loaded with confidence. Many times the difference between being average and great is what's between your ears. He's going to be a very good player for the Kings. He does need to improve his defense, but he knows it, and being the gym rat that he is, I think he's going to surprise people on that side of the ball.
I'm happy you are this pumped about him, I'll reserve my judgement of him offensively until. See him against NBA players, I don't doubt the shot but what I doubt is his ability to defend adequately....all he has going for him on that side is his heighth, he has zero length, not sure he can stay with quicker guys....that's the scouting report on him. I'm glad your optimistic about him in this department, but he hasn't shown the desire to be a good defender yet.

Nik Stauskas is going to be a good player for us. With the way the league is heading, you must have 3 pt shooters and must have playmakers who can put the ball on the floor.

Remember the Spurs had to reinvent themselves in order to come out of that 4 yr or so slump where they weren't really championship contenders. It's just our management going all in with this style of play.

I'm getting happy with the choice at #8. I was just bent out of shape, like everyone else, that there was not more action on draft day. All the talk of swapping the pick for vet help was appealing to me - I'd like to be a .500 team next year, and now it seems that is not in the cards.

But I'm glad we have Stauskas given our draft spot. Sure glad we didn't give up anything to trade up and take him though (although I think that is just pure BS from the front office - just like last year they were crowing that "Ben was the guy we wanted all along, we almost traded up to make sure we got him").

I have a feeling we are going to hear this every year after we make a draft choice "we really had our eye on this guy - tried to trade up to make sure we got him". yeah right..