Kings-Mavericks discussion thread for Feb. 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough.

I guess for me I don't see the score as being important in any way tonight.

It's about watching how the players gel, how they work WITH each other and how well they do the things we've been wanting them to do... trust each other, pass the ball, hustle, play like you want to be out there, etc.

I think I'm seeing quite a bit of that, and it's enough to make this Kings' fans smile. The rest will come in time.

:)
I just wish we could play some DEFENSE. I think we trust each other on offensive and sometimes look really good out there..but I don't remember one game all year that we've played some freaking DEFENSE!

Hmm since this is getting ugly i propose we try a new lineup idea...

PG - Andris Nocioni
SG - Andris Nocioni
SF - Andris Nocioni
PF - Andris Nocioni
C - Andris Nocioni

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This team can win this game Dallas is a good team but they are beatable Martin has been off all night you think Martin isnt gonna start scoring soon... Am i saying wooo hoooo playoff run no im just saying we can beat anyone if we hustlerebound and defend.
Dude, we are not gonna win tonight for a wide variety of reasons.

1. We have half a team that hasn't even stepped in Arco in a Kings' uniform yet.

2. We're on the second game of a back-to-back that was an adrenaline and emotion driven win. Those are draining games and ones that often leave you flat footed and just a little out of it, which is exactly what you're seeing from Kev.

3. We're playing Dallas in Dallas. See all those round things in the stands? Those are the heads of FANS, a big difference from last night where most of the fans were incredibly clever in their disguises as chairs. Mavs fans are not gonna sit there idly while the Kings stage a 25+ point comeback...

4. And no, we can't beat anyone if we just "hustle, rebound and defend"... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but our year's best defender is currently sitting on the bench in Chicago. And the one before that is playing for Adelman in Houston. The closest thing we have to a defensive presence is our new #5, who actually called out a pick alert.

5. I love this team. Have since day 1, but I'm not gonna buy into the "happy, happy, joy, joy" blind fandom approach.

Watch the game and hope for your miracle, if you must, but you should be hoping we continue to show heart and hustle but don't win. A win means absolutely nothing at this point in time. In fact, it means less than nothing as it could easily negate all the suckatude we've endured this year. We have to survive the rest of the season with the hope in our hearts of the #1 draft pick.

Heart, hustle, energy and focus are important. Getting to trust each other is important. Winning isn't.

This summer we have to hope Geoff Petrie will find the players that we need to make next year a better year. It's not gonna happen in February, March or April. We have to believe it will happen in June, July and August.

Fair enough.

I guess for me I don't see the score as being important in any way tonight.

It's about watching how the players gel, how they work WITH each other and how well they do the things we've been wanting them to do... trust each other, pass the ball, hustle, play like you want to be out there, etc.

I think I'm seeing quite a bit of that, and it's enough to make this Kings' fans smile. The rest will come in time.

The score matters to some of us. It matters to me. It matters when you consistently have teams break records on your defense. ( most points mavs have scored in the first half all season .. with Dirk not seeing the floor the whole second quarter ) Our coach puts out horrible defensive lineups that create multiple mismatches. We were pretty close with our starters out there in the first quarter. Then he puts Nocioni on Bass with JT as our only 'Big' on the floor and wah lah, 20 point game. We have big men on the bench, try them. If you try them and they also get rocked on defense then fine.

You can blame the lineups to the new faces all you want, but this has been going on all season reguardless of the players on the team.

When the game gets out of hand everyone plays sloppy and starts to look for there own shot way to much. This isnt good basketball .. In order for this team to improve they need to keep games respectibly close so the minutes there playing show some kind of importance.

20 point lead at halftime, in theory, means a 40 point loss if it wasnt for mass garbage time, which doesnt do anything for anyone.

So you wanted the Kings to win? Why?

I'm pretty sure this game isn't going to do much for the Mavericks' ego, considering they're beating up on a cellar-dweller who traded away half their team two days ago.

Some of you are really going to have a rough time of it the rest of this season and possibly next season. We're not going to get good overnight and we're not gonna win a lot of games. If you just want to watch a winning team, pick one from the Celtics, or the Cavs, or even the dreaded team from LA.

Our team has been in total disarray. There are positives to be garnered from watching tonight's game but you have to be willing to look for them.
who said I wanted to win this? I just don't want to see a 20+ blowout with these pathetic commentators talking about their fav movies... I'm sure one of them clearly remembers how C-Webb and the Glory Kings team owned them on a consistent basis in playoffs some time ago :p

^ Why the offense doesn't look for Hawes to post up on the block is beyond my understanding. Hawes has become what the offense makes him. If they don't want a soft, face up big man, then they need to stop having him set screens at the 3 point line and then move out to wait for a jumpshot. It's the offense, not the player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The score matters to some of us. It matters to me. It matters when you consistently have teams break records on your defense. ( most points mavs have scored in the first half all season .. with Dirk not seeing the floor the whole second quarter ) Our coach puts out horrible defensive lineups that create multiple mismatches. We were pretty close with our starters out there in the first quarter. Then he puts Nocioni on Bass with JT as our only 'Big' on the floor and wah lah, 20 point game. We have big men on the bench, try them. If you try them and they also get rocked on defense then fine.

You can blame the lineups to the new faces all you want, but this has been going on all season reguardless of the players on the team.

When the game gets out of hand everyone plays sloppy and starts to look for there own shot way to much. This isnt good basketball .. In order for this team to improve they need to keep games respectibly close so the minutes there playing show some kind of importance.

20 point lead at halftime, in theory, means a 40 point loss if it wasnt for mass garbage time, which doesnt do anything for anyone.
I'm not blaming anything for the simple reason I don't have any kind of real expectations for the rest of the season. We suck. We sucked before the trades and we still suck. I don't expect my cat to sing opera and I don't expect the current assemblage of players to miraculously begin to play defense. It's not gonna happen for whatever reasons just because we want it to happen.

I do respect what you're saying; I just don't agree with it and think your expectations are just way too high.

There is one thing, though...we're all here watching and talking and expressing our hopes for the future. To me, that's a good thing...

We're all Kings fans. We're just at different levels right now because of our points of view and expectations.

Peace.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

It really is okay to laugh and say, "our team really sucks." My ego is not tied to the Kings performance. Life goes on whether we lose by 5 or by 35. While I understand where you are coming from, it's a lot easier to relax, laugh, and say, "oh well."

Ok well im sorry for hoping for my team to win its 1st game with its new crew i apologize for rooting for my team and believing they ca beat dalls my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.