[Game] Kings @ Knicks - 12/4/16 - 4:30PT/7:30ET

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, I kinda/sorta see your point with your disdain for the "moral victories," but the team actually is progressing on schedule. The progression is actually quite similar to how we looked the first year under Malone: we didn't win, but we were always competitive. And then, in the second year, that's when we started to put it all together... until Cousins contracted meningitis, and Malone got fired shortly thereafter.

But, the point is, with the personnel we have, and a coach like Joerger, this is how it should look. The reason why many Kings Fans feel such a strong sense of urgency is Cousins' contract status: they're all convinced that we have to make the playoffs this year, or else losing Cousins is "inevitable."
To me it's more than that. Gay, Casspi, Collison & Lawson are set to be free agents. Tolliver and Afflalo can be easily cut loose too. None of the rookies are playing at all.

It does very little good for this team to progress under Joerger if most of the guys playing are gone next year and most of the guys that are left didn't play.

You can't build anything if the roster is being overhauled every season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
To me it's more than that. Gay, Casspi, Collison & Lawson are set to be free agents. Tolliver and Afflalo can be easily cut loose too. None of the rookies are playing at all.

It does very little good for this team to progress under Joerger if most of the guys playing are gone next year and most of the guys that are left didn't play.

You summed it up perfectly in one sentence.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We know for sure Affalo n Koufus will be bad with the starters and dig us into a hole. We dont know if Ben will be consistant because he never plays(he could suck but the people in front of him arent exacty killing it either) . We know temple can put some pressure on guards but his playing time too has been inconsistent.

Full disclosure though its not all on Dave at all, we might just not be good enough no matter what he tries but at this point he has got to try something different.
And I think he did with the freak lineup......as far as Afflalo and Koufos...I think it's a process. If you noticed in the second half when he called the early TO, he looked at some of the guys coming off the floor with his hands raised as if to say....well. That's when he pulled those guys.

I think it's a process with the vets out of respect possibly? Can't tell you about Ben. Only thing I can think of is he's going to get dealt in about 10 days when more guys can be moved on Dec. 15

dude12

Hall of Famer

How much season is left? It's not like there's 15 games left

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
and you can go ahead and count that as moral victory number one thousand and four, I believe? 20 point deficit, expending energy, playing Cousins the entire second half it seems...ran out of gas down the stretch. This has to be the most minutes Willie has played this season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What a sickening road trip. Absolutely pathetic. I'm done with close losses.

Tweak the lineup. Quit coming out asleep. Quit spotting the other team double digits every single freaking game.

I'm salty. I'm GD salty tonight.

If Joerger doesnt start WCS and Temple it is fair game to ask BIG questions about him. First half struggles directly correlate to Koufos and Afflalo not fitting with starters and second unit being anemic on offense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Cousins is so dominate inside and yet 10 three's attempted? Why?
Because inside waits Noah, Porzingis, and in case people have forgotten, and they may have, Kyle O'Quinn has always bothered Cousins because he can match his strength. Then you throw on 44 minutes and the putrid first half shooting causing the Knicks to feel they can drop down on him at will and...

Its absolutely too many threes for my taste, but I know what the optics looked like to him. Best thing the Knicks do defensively is trot out lots of length.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If Joerger doesnt start WCS and Temple it is fair game to ask BIG questions about him. First half struggles directly correlate to Koufos and Afflalo not fitting with starters and second unit being anemic on offense.
Yeah, I've been a fan of Joerger's coaching in the aggregate, but this is now the fourth straight game that he's gone with this starting lineup after he said that he'd seen enough of it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Because inside waits Noah, Porzingis, and in case people have forgotten, and they may have, Kyle O'Quinn has always bothered Cousins because he can match his strength. Then you throw on 44 minutes and the putrid first half shooting causing the Knicks to feel they can drop down on him at will and...

Its absolutely too many threes for my taste, but I know what the optics looked like to him. Best thing the Knicks do defensively is trot out lots of length.
I've made no secret of how much I loathe the three-point shot. However, comma, whenever I read someone complain about why Cousins takes some many threes against a team with an interior defense like New York had tonight, I feel like the unspoken subtext of that question is, "Well, why doesn't he just post up, anyway, and force the referees to call the foul, like Shaq would have?" And the answer to that question is, because the referees don't give DeMarcus Cousins Shaq-like calls, that's why. Several of the defensive "plays" against Cousins inside would have been fouls against Shaq. And you can point to the box score and say, "But Cousins got sixteen free throws, though!" Yeah, and if Cousins got the calls inside that he should get, then he would have shot twenty-six free throws. If anything, it's almost like a reverse-Shaq effect, where referees decided to overcorrect in the other direction, except that other star players still get all those calls.

So, what ends up happening is that Cousins either tries to go inside, doesn't get the call, and misses the shot, and Kings Fans criticize his decision-making, or he stays outside and misses jumpers, and Kings Fans question his decision making.

Yeah, I've been a fan of Joerger's coaching in the aggregate, but this is now the fourth straight game that he's gone with this starting lineup after he said that he'd seen enough of it.
I do not like our starting line-up but Joerger (jokingly????) mentioned right after saying he was going small in that post game interview "Who knows, a few games from now I might go back". It seemed at least a half joke comment at the time. In hind sight however..

If they are trying to showcase 2k for something, he plays better when he is the back-up for Cousins at the 5 so that doesnt make sense either. Afflalo was probably my least favorite signing coming into the season. Granted I knew little about Tolliver so did not have any preconceived notions on him.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If they are trying to showcase 2k for something, he plays better when he is the back-up for Cousins at the 5 so that doesnt make sense either. Afflalo was probably my least favorite signing coming into the season. Granted I knew little about Tolliver so did not have any preconceived notions on him.
Temple have been good for us. Barnes is okay, as long as we don't rely on him to play heavy minutes; he should be a 12-15 minute guy, instead of the 26 minute guy he has been. We don't really know what we have in Tolliver: he was lights out in the preseason, missed his first couple of shots of the regular season, and basically hasn't been given any burn since. Afflalo has been the only unqualified bad signing, to this point; there are at least three guys on the roster I'd rather see getting those minutes right now.