Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

I feel like I have some background to talk about the differences given that I am Serbian and have intimately followed and continue to follow European basketball my whole life.
I was about to ask the question as to why people are so intrigued with Messina given the differences in Europe AND because of his limited experience in the NBA. I'm glad I read through the entire thread to get to what you posted here, as you validated some of the concerns I have.

I get that Messina is/was a great coach overseas. But as you so concisely pointed out, the culture is drastically different. From what I've seen, Messina only has 3 years experience around the NBA game. 1 yr as a consiltant and 2 as an assistant. I just don't know if that's enough time, even under Popovich, to be able to adapt to the NBA game and it's superstar treatment. As great a coach as David Blatt was overseas, he couldn't make it work with arguably the best player in the league.

In short, I just don't believe it's an easy plug and play situation as some would like to think.

The highest I have ever coached basketball was 8th grade AAU a decade and a half ago. You let me work with Popovich, his staff and the spurs for 2 years and I would have done hands down a better job than Karl did.

Now, lets see, we have one of, if not the best European coaches ever, who explicitly stated he came to the U.S. to learn the NBA and is credited with make the Spurs BETTER...I'm going to go ahead and give the benefit of the doubt that he is light years better than anything we have sniffed since Adelman.

I seriously think with Messina people are just getting infatuated with the name, same way that happened with Karl.
I've read your views on Messina as coach for the Kings/cousins. Set Cousns aside and what would your view be on Messina as a long term coach for the Kings.

I don't know Messina except for what I have read of him here lately. Isn't he a proven successful cach who has prepared himself for the differences that exist in the NBA world? Your concern with him seems to center on Cuz and a disbelief that he would work for Cuz. Others have made a case that that would no be a problem.

if Frank Vogel becomes available then we need to move fast re interview process etc.

Need to monitor this one keenly and assess if he has interest so we can be first movers.

He was paid 2.5mill in his last season. We will need to significantly increase that but he is a good solid coach who has worked with young stars and also is a great defense strategist.

I was about to ask the question as to why people are so intrigued with Messina given the differences in Europe AND because of his limited experience in the NBA. I'm glad I read through the entire thread to get to what you posted here, as you validated some of the concerns I have.

I get that Messina is/was a great coach overseas. But as you so concisely pointed out, the culture is drastically different. From what I've seen, Messina only has 3 years experience around the NBA game. 1 yr as a consiltant and 2 as an assistant. I just don't know if that's enough time, even under Popovich, to be able to adapt to the NBA game and it's superstar treatment. As great a coach as David Blatt was overseas, he couldn't make it work with arguably the best player in the league.

In short, I just don't believe it's an easy plug and play situation as some would like to think.
I am in no way questioning Messina's knowledge of the game or his basketball IQ but I am not sure if his approach to player relationships has changed because the approach he had in Europe will not work in any other organization except maybe the Spurs that have a strong culture and standards where the things just drive themselves.

I am in no way questioning Messina's knowledge of the game or his basketball IQ but I am not sure if his approach to player relationships has changed because the approach he had in Europe will not work in any other organization except maybe the Spurs that have a strong culture and standards where the things just drive themselves.
Which is exactly why I would be concerned if he is hired. However, having concerns doesn't also mean that I believe that he can't be successful.

I can totally see Vlade going this route because of his Euro connections.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course I have concerns about whether Messina can coach NBA players effectively.

But McHale hasn't even admitted to being interested in the job.

Vogel hasn't been released from his contract.

Udoka apparently isn't being interviewed (not perceived as ready? Spurs declined to grant permission?)

Brooks, Walton & Thibs are off the market.

Who is the best option then? Del Negro? Woodson? Mitchell? Williamson? Hornacek? Turner? Jackson?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm just curious. How does a coach that fails to communicate with players win four championships in Europe? How is that possible? If the players aren't buying what he's selling, then the team doesn't win. People keep making blanket statements like this, and I see no proof of it. Not saying your wrong, but it just doesn't make any sense. Now if you were to tell me that the players wern't fond of his form of communication, then I can understand that. but they don't have to be fond of it. Believe me, Cousins wasn't fond of having Calapari screaming in his face at Kentucky, but the team won games, so he didn't care.

Here's an idea, why don't we just make Cousins the GM and let him pick the coach. Why don't we just make him president of the entire organization? If were going to let the tail wag the dog, lets go all in. I suspect that even Cousins wouldn't agree to that. All Cousins wants is a coach that's a straight shooter, and who has a winning philosophy. All the rest is just BS.
Always has to go back to Cousins.......I liked the first part of your post and then you put in the dumb stuff about just hiring Cousins as GM.

I can't really speak about wining titles in Europe....I think it's irrelevant when it comes to the NBA as far the players.....heck of an accomplishment....different league. The chatter about Blatt....is he really a straight shooter or is a non-communicative head coach? I think it's fair to have concern.

I've read your views on Messina as coach for the Kings/cousins. Set Cousns aside and what would your view be on Messina as a long term coach for the Kings.

I don't know Messina except for what I have read of him here lately. Isn't he a proven successful cach who has prepared himself for the differences that exist in the NBA world? Your concern with him seems to center on Cuz and a disbelief that he would work for Cuz. Others have made a case that that would no be a problem.
Good luck with that on this board

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Good luck with that on this board
YOU DO NOT SET ASIDE A 27-11 ALL NBA CENTER ON HIS TEAM'S BOARD.

Great teams are formed by bonds between their greatest players and their coaches.

Lottery teams are formed by ignoring those bonds and just idiotically running around doing whatever the hell you want to do without taking into consideration your great players. If the Grizzlies hire Mike D'Antoni, they are idiots. If the Warriors hire Jeff Van Gundy they are idiots. Both guys are winning coaches with the right personnel and setting. Both are losers if you get the fit wrong.

YOU DO NOT SET ASIDE A 27-11 ALL NBA CENTER ON HIS TEAM'S BOARD.

Great teams are formed by bonds between their greatest players and their coaches.

Lottery teams are formed by ignoring those bonds and just idiotically running around doing whatever the hell you want to do without taking into consideration your great players. If the Grizzlies hire Mike D'Antoni, they are idiots. If the Warriors hire Jeff Van Gundy they are idiots. Both guys are winning coaches with the right personnel and setting. Both are losers if you get the fit wrong.
Speaking of All-NBA, should check out where some national/NBA.com writers have Cousins.

When dealing with a player who has a reputation (legitimate or not) of being hard to coach and a coach killer, and the team hasn't made the playoffs in 6 years with said franchise player, you should be looking at a coach that is best for the team long-term, keeping in mind that you might trade said franchise player this season if things don't work out. I'm completely in agreement with funky in this regard. You get a guy who has a good shot at making it work with Cousins (which shouldn't be that hard if ALL Cousins wants is accountability right?), but also one who you are confident can build a winning team even if Cousins is gone. In this regard you should also consider getting a coach who recognizes the changing game and is adaptable - you might be able to build around Cousins as a post player but if he's gone then you're most likely to end up with a much more perimeter-based team down the road given the dearth of franchise-level bigs in the game today.

Nobody is advocating hiring another small ball run and gun coach or anything of that sort. The comparisons you make are very much about playing style - Xs and Os. The conversation in this thread on the other hand has been all about a coach that players/DeMarcus will listen to and get along with. But it cannot be all about finding a coach to pacify poor DeMarcus Cousins from the get go, especially when we are the Sacramento Kings (aka coach's graveyard)

As great a coach as David Blatt was overseas, he couldn't make it work with arguably the best player in the league.
Well, actually he DID make it...
I believe he has the best W/L record for any Cavs coach in history.
He's also the only Cavs coach who ever took the lead (briefly) in an NBA finals' series (and only 2nd coach to even get there...).
Plus, you could add that it was all achieved with a crippled roster and with constant opposition from the team's superstar...

So, what was it that he didn't make? :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He's also the only Cavs coach who ever took the lead (briefly) in an NBA finals' series (and only 2nd coach to even get there...).
Plus, you could add that it was all achieved with a crippled roster and with constant opposition from the team's superstar...

He got fired after all those achievements you just listed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Speaking of All-NBA, should check out where some national/NBA.com writers have Cousins.
I'm well aware of where certain idiots have placed him and have already been working the dips over hard on every forum I can find them. Moronic pond scum that probably couldn't even tell you what colors the Kings wear spewing Stephen A. Smith level insights. Well except for the David Aldridge class of old farts who just got so lazy they can barely even pry their eyelids open long enough to vomit out a column and figure that they can fake out a living writing trite nothings in vague agreement with everybody's reps.

He got fired after all those achievements you just listed.
Oh that?
I thought you meant something that has to do with basketball... ;)

He was fired by LBJ for not being his yes-man.
The very same thing happened to Erik Spoelstra in Miamy.
"King James" demanded Spo's firing in the very same time (2nd year of his "cooperation" with LeBron) while the team was winning.
The only thing that got in the way of this oust was a hard-a** godfather (Pat Riley). The team won a ring that year, I believe.

So Blatt's shortcoming may have been... a spineless GM? :eek:

In that case we should be OK.
You would agree, probably, that ours is more of the godfather type, wouldn't you?... :cool:

Oh that?
I thought you meant something that has to do with basketball... ;)

He was fired by LBJ for not being his yes-man.
The very same thing happened to Erik Spoelstra in Miamy.
"King James" demanded Spo's firing in the very same time (2nd year of his "cooperation" with LeBron) while the team was winning.
The only thing that got in the way of this oust was a hard-a** godfather (Pat Riley). The team won a ring that year, I believe.

So Blatt's shortcoming may have been... a spineless GM? :eek:

In that case we should be OK.
You would agree, probably, that ours is more of the godfather type, wouldn't you?... :cool:
Just invade another person thinks Blatt wasn't good in Cleveland.

He had a team with Irving, Love, and Smith playing defense.

Thanks for the history lesson, but everyone is well aware of the record and accomplishments of that team. If you weren't busy playing smart-ass and/or payed attention to where the discussion went, the point may not have gone completely over your head.

He didn't make it work. Because he got fired. Because he couldn't get the best player in the league to buy into what he was selling. If you paid attention to latter part of this thread, specifically the parts where Čarolija discussed the differences between coaching in Europe vs. the US --- you might have been able to follow along instead of looking really lame right now.

The truly funny thing is that you give Blatt credit for all those accomplishments when it was pretty well known that LeBron was changing plays during and at the end of games and pretty much running the team himself. But, hey, don't let the fact that the guy got canned early the very next season keep you from missing the point yet again.

I think the question is whether or not that coach knows how to communicate effectively with NBA players. It's a similar concern that you see with a lot of college coaches making the jump to the NBA. Do your methods at one level translate on a different level? And David Blatt was criticized for walking through the door in Cleveland and expecting the players to respect him based on his international accomplishments when those things (right or wrong) don't mean anything to NBA players.

That said, I'm guessing Blatt learned a lot from his first NBA head coaching experience. Lots of coaches that have gone on to win a lot of games in the NBA didn't find great success with their first head coaching job or even their second. Sometimes you have to smooth out the rough edges and figure out what works and doesn't work for you before you put it all together. And sometimes it's just circumstances or the roster you have to work with. With Blatt I think it was a bit of both. I think if Cleveland had kept Wiggins and not signed James then I think he would have been allowed more time to figure things out.

As for Messina, I don't know why the assumption is that he won't be able to connect with NBA players. He's spent a total of three years as an NBA assistant coach.
Blatt was not fired because of lack of success. His record was actually quite amazing. I think he still has one of the best records of any coach in the NBA (obviously Steve Kerr has better). Blatt's road in Cleveland was doomed the day Bron decided to come back. Bron wanted him out right from the start and Bron gets what he wants. Certainly in Cleveland, where he basically controls everything. Pat Riley didn't let him do that in Miami, so he left. I give huge credit to Blatt for lasting 1.5 seasons in that organization. The guy must be a kind of genius.

Thanks for the history lesson, but everyone is well aware of the record and accomplishments of that team. If you weren't busy playing smart-ass and/or payed attention to where the discussion went, the point may not have gone completely over your head.

He didn't make it work. Because he got fired. Because he couldn't get the best player in the league to buy into what he was selling. If you paid attention to latter part of this thread, specifically the parts where Čarolija discussed the differences between coaching in Europe vs. the US --- you might have been able to follow along instead of looking really lame right now.

The truly funny thing is that you give Blatt credit for all those accomplishments when it was pretty well known that LeBron was changing plays during and at the end of games and pretty much running the team himself. But, hey, don't let the fact that the guy got canned early the very next season keep you from missing the point yet again.
Getting Lebron to buy in.... Hahahah

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Please. Those people are idiots. Have always been idiots, and will always be idiots. These are mostly the same people who didn't think he should be in the All-Star game, believe everything they read on Yahoo Sports, and generally think anything at all related to Sacramento is the joke that keeps on giving. I couldn't care less whether they think Cousins is All-NBA or not because of some arbitrary rules that they get to make up and then enforce. They call Cousins a team cancer while fantasizing about how they can rob us of him for a few meaningless late first round picks. And you'd better believe they'll be defending his All-NBA credentials if that ever happens.

The coaching search is absolutely about playing style and I suspect all of the talk of appeasing Cousins is a much bigger talking point among the fans than it is in the front office. I think it would be incredibly short-sighted to give up on a franchise level big man because George Karl couldn't make it work but I also don't think DeMarcus is bigger than the team. He's a great player but so were all the other guys we've traded over the years... Richmond, Webber, Peja, Bibby, Doug, Bobby ... they all got traded at some point. And that's why I want a defensive coach. Because I've always wanted a defensive coach. If Cousins refuses to bust his ass on defense for a coach that demands it than he deserves to be traded. That was most certainly not George Karl though. I think George Karl really only lost the locker room when it became obvious that Ben, Seth, and Willie were going to get benched for missing an open shot but Marco was going to get his minutes regardless of how poor his defense was. The commitment to defense from George Karl was non-existant.

And I know I'm not making any friends saying this, but all the talk about how the league is changing and we need a modern basketball mind to make sure we don't fall behind.... bull. crap. That's a whole truck full of it. Golden State and San Antonio are defensive powerhouses. That's why they're the two best teams in the league. Look at Golden State's lineup and point to one bad defender. Draymond Green, Steph Curry, and Andrew Bogut are among the best in the league at their positions. Igoudala is getting a little older but he's been known as a stopper for most of his career. Barnes and Thompson are no worse than average. Off the bench, their backup PG is 6'7". Leandro Barbosa plays basketball like a bull in a china shop but he's at least a rangy athlete. That accounts for most of their minutes. If all you see (this is a general you) when you watch Golden State is three-point shooting and ball movement than you're not paying attention. They've been scoring points in the Bay for a decade or more and never won anything until the new ownership committed to bringing in plus defenders. Remember when their own fans booed them for trading Monta Ellis for Andrew Bogut? I'm not even sure Golden State fans get it.

And this extends all the way to the Spurs -- who are continually held up as a model franchise and yet people continue to overlook the obvious reason why. They're on a whole other level defensively from the rest of the league. And that didn't happen by accident. To pick just one example-- they were a 61 win team in 2011 and traded one of their top 5 players to get Kawhi Leonard who is now one of the top 5 individual defenders in the league. That's called knowing what you need and going out and getting it. Their defense was astonishingly good this season and if you look at their roster -- Aldridge, old Ginobili, Parker, Patty Mills, Danny Green, David West, Boris Diaw, Kyle Anderson -- most of these players are not thought of as dominant defenders. As a team though they're the Great Wall of China. I don't even want to read another word about motion offense, three point shooters, floor spacing, or the death of post play from any Kings fan. Ever. It's been 10 years of the same thing. None of that even matters people! Popovich has run more offenses than I can count in his Hall of Fame coaching career. He's had one of the slowest paces in the league and one of the fastest. He's had one of the most prolific three point shooting teams and one of the worst. But two things remain constant: his teams always work their asses off on defense and they're always in the playoffs.

You want a coach with a system that gets wins? That's the system: earn your paycheck one stop at a time. When you put on this uniform, you will take pride in locking down the other team or you'll sit on the bench. You're not going to complain about touches, you're not going to jog through defensive possessions, you're not going to hoist threes outside of the offense, you're not going to watch your man rebound the ball without putting up a fight. Commit to doing all of that and you'll be a better player. Unfortunately the number of coaches out there with the stomach for barking this message at NBA players day in and day out, game after game, practice after practice, who are both willing and able to stand their ground until the players shut up and decide it's easier to just put in the work instead of complaining about it is very small. Calipari can do that on the college level because he's God on that Kentucky campus. But who other than Popovich can demand that from an NBA team? Thibs can but he wants full control of the roster to ensure he doesn't get compromised again. Of the coaches we're looking at, I think Nate McMillan and Mike Woodson are really the only options.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Putting it mildly, I think this Cuz vs coach talk is a tad premature.

Now if....IF... Voisin's article about Vlade being open to trading Cuz had a kernel of truth in it, I think it is this:

Cuz definitely had a major hand in Karl being fired. But considering Karl was awful, and deserved to be canned, Cuz gets a pass. Now, if Vlade hires his guy, and his guy ends up being solid, and Cuz STILL undermines said coach, the trade market will likely be tested.

On the flip side, I'm sure that Vlade is going to do his best to make sure that whoever he hires understands how to "handle" Cuz. And there is nothing wrong with that. Working with fiery stars is a coaching skill, just ask Phil or Rick.

I also think all of this has been discussed between Vlade and Cousins. The phrase of the summer seems to be "on the same page". Vlade and Cuz are on it. I pray to Cthulhu that Vivek is on it. And whoever we hire as HC is going to be on it.

Vlade will make the right choice.

(Which will hopefully be Blatt :p)

I'm well aware of where certain idiots have placed him and have already been working the dips over hard on every forum I can find them. Moronic pond scum that probably couldn't even tell you what colors the Kings wear spewing Stephen A. Smith level insights. Well except for the David Aldridge class of old farts who just got so lazy they can barely even pry their eyelids open long enough to vomit out a column and figure that they can fake out a living writing trite nothings in vague agreement with everybody's reps.
Yep...anybody who disagrees with you on DMC is an "idiot" or "pond scum." I swear sometimes I think you're getting paid by his agent.

I don't think I missed the point (and hold your horses with the confronting tone. I wasn't making fun of anyone).

My point (in this post and in the Spoelstra story) was that Bron is simply uncoachable. More and more so with every passing season (You mentioned some stuff yourself, like dictating plays).

Making Bron "buy in" is close to impossible for any coach not named Pop. Certainly for any coach WE have a shot at landing here.
Blatt's time in the Cavs, and the way it has ended were NOT matters of culture or attitude from the coach's side. Just an impossible situation for any coach.

The points about the European different basketball culture and the place of the coach in Europe vs NBA teams are very valid (thank's, @Čarolija) but:

1. I am a European bball follower myself, and I can tell you that @Čarolija went a bit too far in portraying the almighty role of coaches there. Star franchise players may get coaches fired in Europe too.

2. The style of coaching in Europe varies widely, just like everywhere, and while 3 of the 4 great coaches mentioned ARE indeed notorious :) (yet successfull) for their dictator-like nature, I think Blatt is the odd man out in that list.
He was pretty far from being a tyrant in his European gigs, perhaps because he started up in Israel, where bball culture is much less strict and coach-focused than in the former Yugoslav countries (Israel also lacks the abundant local talent found there, so Maccabi was always very "American" in nature and culture, with half the roster coming from the US)

In his jobs in Israel and Europe Blatt was known for creating a closer relationship with players, relying more on a sense of respect and loyalty that made them bust their *** for him/ for the team. (BTW, that reminds me of how JR Smith spoke about him earlier this year)

To summarize my point:

Blatt may have done a lot of rookie mistakes in his work with players in CLE, but they were not culture-driven errors.
Moreover, his rookie mistakes were neither hurting the team nor were they the reason for his firing.
Besides, by now both Blatt and Messina are not rookies in this league any more.

Last edited:

There are some wild rumors flying around about this firing and allegedly they point back to LBJ wanting Jackson to be the coach so Jackson changed his agent to LBJ's agent in readiness to get that job but Cavs said no so they settled on Lue. LeBron allegedly tried to pull the same crap with Miami but Riley saw right through it and stuck to his guns.

They can certainly communicate but it is a very different culture over in Europe than in the NBA. I have followed European leagues all my life and all the great European coaches have one thing in common, they are hard assed dictators. In Europe, basketball is the coaches' sport. The coaches have the absolute authority to punish their players however they like. There is no preferential treatment to the star players. Its all about the team and coach is the most important and feared person in basketball. From Zeljko Obradovic, to Dusan Ivkovic, to David Blatt to Ettore Messina, each and everyone of them has been a hard assed coaches who chewed up and spat out players in each and every one of their team. They are 4 of the best coaches Europe has produced in decades and there is some 15 Euroleague titles between them.

NBA is a player's league. Start like Kobe, Shaq, LeBron etc...all have more say than the coach so the whole dynamic changes. I can guarantee you than in Europe each of those 3 I mentioned would have been dumped by their team before they would dump the coach. It's a very different culture over there. Whatever coach says is gospel and you do what he says and don't ask questions. Obradovic absolutely sent home some of the biggest Serbian stars at the time home because they didn't like being treated they way he was running his national team. He sent Marko Jaric, Igor Rakocevic, Darko Milicic,Vladimir Radmanovic and a few others home from the training camp because he was not going to cater to "star" players and the team proceeded to flop in a major way, This is the guy that has won multiple Euroleague titles, national championships and cups everywhere he has gone and even with the national team numerous championships, gold, silver and bronze medals. It the approach that is gospel over there in Europe and the approach that would NEVER work in the NBA.

I feel like I have some background to talk about the differences given that I am Serbian and have intimately followed and continue to follow European basketball my whole life. On Messina, he almost destroyed Milos Teodosic's career while he was at CSKA and he is now one of the best players in Europe and a heck of a point guard (who does like to free lance and pull off a fancy play) who is undisputed leader of the CSKA and their best player by a mile. With Messina, he was riding the bench and was replaced by a less talented PG and CSKA never made it past top 4 in Messina's last 2 seasons there (after his stint with the Lakers) despite being stacked talent wise.
I feel, I should defend Messina a bit there: Teodosic got the bench, because he couldn't defend and was often "pulling Harden". Yes, his freelancing was nurtured as well, but that's because Messina likes to play inside out, and he did have Krstic on that squad. I'm sure, if he had current CSKA roster of rim-runners/shooting bigs, Teodosic would've had more freedom. As for relative lack of success Messina had to compete with pre-crisis Greek giants, while Barcelona/Real were dominant as well.

There are some wild rumors flying around about this firing and allegedly they point back to LBJ wanting Jackson to be the coach so Jackson changed his agent to LBJ's agent in readiness to get that job but Cavs said no so they settled on Lue. LeBron allegedly tried to pull the same crap with Miami but Riley saw right through it and stuck to his guns.
I'm in disbelief that this conversation is still happening. Everyone knows Lebron canned Blatt for not being the hand picked guy of Lebron and his agent. It's not rocket science.