Kings going after Aaron Brooks

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
With Jimmer Fredette's addition to a backcourt featuring Tyreke Evans, Sacramento doesn't have a playmaker, but the answer might come in free agency, whenever that is. The Kings plan on making a pitch for the Suns' Aaron Brooks, who is restricted. Phoenix made him a qualifying offer on Thursday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ewski_to_minnesota_to_coach_ricky.html?page=1

I think we need a big now.....org is confusing me.
Its possible, as once upon a time we liked him. But that would also of course mean an overcrowded backcourt. And Brooks as a playmaker is amusing.

And the fact we liked him is also why this might NOT be true. The Daily News is a rag, it and the Post compete to see who can be most like the National Enquirer. Their sports guys just make stuff up rather blatantly and fire it out. Lawrence is better than Vescey, but his word is hardly his bond. You have to ask yourself where would his minutes come from? Where would his shots come from?

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
We don't have any playmakers?

Wow. Clearly NY sports "writers" have a clearer grasp than 95% of the people on this board with regards to what the Kings need.

Good signing if we can get him. Than all we need to do is resign Sammy which is looking unlikely or sign a free agent big man and get a big man back in a trade for garcia,greene, or casspi. Than we could have a solid rotation imo:

Pg: fredette,brooks,thomas
Sg: evans,thornton
Sf: salmons,garcia,greene, or casspi,honeycutt
Pf: thompson, big man from a trade of either garcia,casspi, or greene,darnell jackson
C: cousins, free agent big man

Its possible, as once upon a time we liked him. But that would also of course mean an overcrowded backcourt. And Brooks as a playmaker is amusing.

And the fact we liked him is also why this might NOT be true. The Daily News is a rag, it and the Post compete to see who can be most like the National Enquirer. Their sports guys just make stuff up rather blatantly and fire it out. Lawrence is better than Vescey, but his word is hardly his bond. You have to ask yourself where would his minutes come from? Where would his shots come from?
Yeah, I imagine this is just some NY writer re-hashing tired speculation with no actual reporting in order to fill column inches.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I hate Brooks. He's not a pg. There's nothing pg about him. He's a chucker, and a stubby chucker who can't play defense at that. As a 4th guard, i'd much rather have Earl Watson or Ronnie Price. Both are more undercontrol, play within themselves, and much, much better defenders. Probably cheaper to.

Brooks is more of a playmaker for himself. Like much of the roster.

I really do worry this front office has no clue about PGs or playmaking.

Good signing if we can get him. Than all we need to do is resign Sammy which is looking unlikely or sign a free agent big man and get a big man back in a trade for garcia,greene, or casspi. Than we could have a solid rotation imo:

Pg: fredette,brooks,thomas
Sg: evans,thornton
So...there's still only 48 minutes in an NBA basketball game, right?(barring OT, of course) 5 guards...4 who NEED to play to be effective...if Tyreke starts and plays 35-40 minutes, Thornton starts(which he should be)and plays 35-40 minutes, and Jimmer gets the rest of the minutes...how is signing Brooks doing anything for us but putting another player on the bench that will whine about not getting playing time due to an over crowded back court?

That doesn't really excite me. Brooks is nothing special. If a play maker was what they wanted they should have kept the #7 pick and drafted Kemba Walker.
Well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess, right? We have what we have...and I don't think we're done making moves yet, and I think we will get another 'playmaker' after we re-sign Thornton and HOPEFULLY Dalembert. I don't see us getting another guard in any trades/signings, though. I think we're set, with the exception of maybe a 5th guard for 'just in case' purposes after Tyreke, Thornton, Jimmer and Thomas...too many guards, not enough minutes. I think we'll end up trading either or both of Casspi and Greene for another proven vet SF/or picks of some sort. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess, right? We have what we have...and I don't think we're done making moves yet, and I think we will get another 'playmaker' after we re-sign Thornton and HOPEFULLY Dalembert. I don't see us getting another guard in any trades/signings, though. I think we're set, with the exception of maybe a 5th guard for 'just in case' purposes after Tyreke, Thornton, Jimmer and Thomas...too many guards, not enough minutes. I think we'll end up trading either or both of Casspi and Greene for another proven vet SF/or picks of some sort. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.
Hindsight doesn't really apply here if what they wanted was a play-maker all along. They knew there was a good chance Walker would be there at 7 if they wanted him. I'm not putting much stock in these Brooks reports, though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Makes no sense at all. To call Brooks a playmaker is laughable. Fredette right now is a better playmaker than Brooks. But where is the logic behind this article. We drafted Fredette with the idea of him contributing right away. We traded Beno with that thought in mind. We apparently plan on our starting backcourt being Evans and Thornton. At least for the time being. So where preytell, does Brooks fit into that picture? I sincerely doubt that Brooks see's himself as a fourth man off the bench. I doubt he see's himself as a bench player at all.

Add to the mix, that when Petrie was recently asked about the Kings and freeagency, he stated that the Kings planned to pursue a major frontcourt player. I don't think Brooks fits that discription.

If we go down this path then there is absolutely no minutes for Jimmer which I believe the organization will not go for.

What we need is a heady veteran PG who will provide some defense and shooting. A player that is not expecting to play a lot but can step in if there is an injury to the PG rotation or if Jimmer takes some time to adjust to the NBA. From my perspective, we are talking about Earl Watson type player or the type of player we had in Bobby Jackson when we got him back for the last time.

It makes sense if they trade Tyreke for D. Howard. Otherwise I can't see it happening.

Let's see...
Brooks
Thornton
Jimmer
Salmons
Cousins
Howard

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This Brooks thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. But I didn't think getting rid of Beno for Salmons and Jimmer made sense either. So maybe there is some truth to this...

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The funny thing about this rumor... I was so upset on draft day I jokingly told my friend that the next move the Kings will make will be to sign Aaron Brooks, because it made about as much sense as bringing back John Salmons. Yes let's throw another $25 or $30 million dollars at a mediocre guard who can score and do nothing else. Yes let's load up on players who duplicate the skills of our star who won rookie of the year last year. Considering the source, I don't think this "rumor" has any merit, but it made me chuckle.