Kings do not pick up Giles and Caleb team options for next year!

It's time for Vlade to be a man of his word and quit. He said that if the franchise was not in a better place in 2 years, he would quit.... well, were waiting Vlade!!!!
This.

For one season, Dave Joerger created the illusion that Vlade wasn't a complete failure, by coaching his ass off. And he fires him to hire his buddy from the Lakers.

I'm out on Vlade Divac.

I think I am done with the kings for this year. I can't stand watching them, I cannot stand the moves they make... WTF... Fire everyone who has done anything to this team. Including the coach.

I think I am done with the kings for this year. I can't stand watching them, I cannot stand the moves they make... WTF... Fire everyone who has done anything to this team. Including the coach.
if you don't have tickets and can check out.... count yourself lucky.

if you don't have tickets and can check out.... count yourself lucky.
Yah I didn't get them this year, because of work. My schedule changed and I wouldn't get to the games on time. I was planning on getting packages though, but not this year! Screw them.

I'm done with Vlade, and frankly I'm done wth this stupid organization running itself into the ground. Same old Kangz BS.

SO tired of it. One less reason to give a single damn about this season.

I have to assume the Kings got multiple opinions on his knees that all determined the same thing; they’re shot. No matter how dumb the FO seems sometimes, they would not cut ties with a player they spent so much time and resources on for $4mil. We have to remember, Bagley is injury prone until he proves otherwise, so the Kings can’t risk losing talent and depth over such a small amount of coin. He has zero trade value. If he plays this year and looks decent then I will have no explanation.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There's no way. We can only pay him $3.9 mil on a new contract.
Correct, but let's say he's going to miss half the season so we make a backroom deal where he takes two years at the base pay and then we take care of him after. That's what I was getting at. It doesn't really make any sense for the Kings though unless it gave us a quick window to make one extra move.

I'm thinking there's also a good chance he gets moved in part of a deal for Bogs.

Apparently the Warriors did the same thing with Looney. They declined his fourth-year option but re-signed him the next summer (2018). Then, this past summer, they re-signed him again on a longer-term, larger deal. So, I guess it's not certain that Giles is a goner. But it does seem like they aren't very confident in him being worth more than $4 million next season, which certainly is not where we hoped things would be.

Apparently the Warriors did the same thing with Looney. They declined his fourth-year option but re-signed him the next summer (2018). Then, this past summer, they re-signed him again on a longer-term, larger deal. So, I guess it's not certain that Giles is a goner. But it does seem like they aren't very confident in him being worth more than $4 million next season, which certainly is not where we hoped things would be.
But the main difference I think is that the GSW are a competent organization.

Correct, but let's say he's going to miss half the season so we make a backroom deal where he takes two years at the base pay and then we take care of him after. That's what I was getting at. It doesn't really make any sense for the Kings though unless it gave us a quick window to make one extra move.

I'm thinking there's also a good chance he gets moved in part of a deal for Bogs.
Except if Giles shows out other teams will be able to offer more the $4 mil and we can't go higher.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Is there a cap reason for doing this, like does it circumvent the rules in year 5 with qualifying offers and the like when dealing with restricted FAs?

Vlade is not above criticism for his draft choices but I actually think that even if the signings we have made haven't lit the world on fire, the terms and structure of the deals are almost always team friendly (declining, team options, etc etc).

So while initial reaction is this is stupid, maybe there is a good reason?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I can't fathom the point of taking a chance and scheming to save some fraction of $4 million.
I'm not suggesting they'd be saving money, I'm suggesting that maybe they are trying to skirt the cap by creating a window before Fox and Bagley get their max deals. Once that happens we're probably headed into the luxury tax if the team is competitive and plans to stay that way.

Now that I've cooled off a bit, declining Giles at 4 million vs the minimum makes some sense.
He is likely the 5th big this year, and has been injured for essentially the last 6 years. He has the same amount of in game experience as someone who graduated hs.

The 3rd and 4th year options are decent raises, and Giles has yet to show much return on their 3 years of investment. I don't like it, but it makes business sense even if they still have hopes for him.

Maybe it allows him to sign a pre-contract in Europe come January, I don’t know. I know that’s a thing in soccer. I just know it’s not due to a cap problem, per se. The one guy that has been absolutely elite at his job this decade is Catanella. That guy is a wizard. Whatever is the plan with Harry, it’s not a cap problem.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Maybe it allows him to sign a pre-contract in Europe come January, I don’t know. I know that’s a thing in soccer. I just know it’s not due to a cap problem, per se. The one guy that has been absolutely elite at his job this decade is Catanella. That guy is a wizard. Whatever is the plan with Harry, it’s not a cap problem.
That's the rub. We have a total cap wizard so maybe there really is something clever going on here. Or maybe the team is a dumpster fire and has been lying to us about Giles for most of the year now and we have another blown draft pick on our hands, and in this case there was actually talent on the board for a change.

The reality is we all just need to relax and be patient but it's hard to do when you are 0-5, your top draft pick is injured for another 3-5 weeks and the remaining core of your team suddenly looks like trash.

It looks like Vlade's drafting record is not so hot. Something like 2 for 10?

That is not acceptable for an NBA GM. Especially for a small market team that needs their draft picks to be home runs, Vlade can't even get a single?!?!

Vlade needs to go.... like 6 months ago!
Can you imagine if the suns had just taken Fox....