[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Sometimes I wonder if these offensive and defensive ratings are overrated there are 3 teams with an offensive rating of 120, 3 with 119, 3 with 18 and 4 with 17. We come in next at 116.

Sometimes I wonder if these offensive and defensive ratings are overrated there are 3 teams with an offensive rating of 120, 3 with 119, 3 with 18 and 4 with 17. We come in next at 116.
You can't measure defense with stats. Sure steals and blocks ect come up on a box score but they often don't tell the whole story.

Regarding opponents 3 points percentage, still a long way to go for Kings to be 1st all time!
I understand shooting luck/randomness, but for a full season, you don't get on this list unless there are (i) effort issues, (ii) personnel issues, and (iii) scheme issues. I'm not sure what of the three is the biggest issue here, but all of them need to be continually assessed by the coaching staff and Monte, and eventually addressed one way or another.

I understand shooting luck/randomness, but for a full season, you don't get on this list unless there are (i) effort issues, (ii) personnel issues, and (iii) scheme issues. I'm not sure what of the three is the biggest issue here, but all of them need to be continually assessed by the coaching staff and Monte, and eventually addressed one way or another.
Or you’re a cursed franchise that often sees visiting teams make their 3’s, even when contested and even by journeyman bench scrubs.

It’s a little bit of both.

Or you’re a cursed franchise that often sees visiting teams make their 3’s, even when contested and even by journeyman bench scrubs.

It’s a little bit of both.
Then again, being in the middle of contesting the most 3's and giving up the most wide open 3's at around the middle area in the end works out to 50/50. Let teams shoot 50/50 on 3's in the modern game and get ready to be crushed from there half the time. Screw you math!! haha.

Question for Capt. Factorial: With the extra money provided by the Robin Lopez trade, will the Kings now be able to sign Keon Ellis to a full contract? Is salary even a consideration?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Question for Capt. Factorial: With the extra money provided by the Robin Lopez trade, will the Kings now be able to sign Keon Ellis to a full contract? Is salary even a consideration?
I haven't yet seen how much money they sent. From a salary cap perspective, there is no issue. I doubt that a min contract for the remainder of the year would be a financial issue for us, either, regardless of how much cash we got.

Quite interesting - Antetekoumpo youngest brother Alex signed contract with small Lithuanian town team, which plays in Lithuanian baskteball league. I think he is trying to do same as LaMelo Ball did in Lithuania :)

11111.jpg

Can anyone clarify our pick situation this off season if our ‘24 pick conveys to Atlanta. Tim Maxwell says that if Atlanta gets our ‘24 we will have the ability to trade ‘25 ‘27 29 and ‘31. Is this correct? He says the reason we can trade the 25 is the Stephien rule only cares about future picks. I’m failing to understand why ‘24 is not a future pick? I was under the impression that teams are required to have first round picks every other year and the only work around is trading a player after you have drafted them on draft night?

Can anyone clarify our pick situation this off season if our ‘24 pick conveys to Atlanta. Tim Maxwell says that if Atlanta gets our ‘24 we will have the ability to trade ‘25 ‘27 29 and ‘31. Is this correct? He says the reason we can trade the 25 is the Stephien rule only cares about future picks. I’m failing to understand why ‘24 is not a future pick? I was under the impression that teams are required to have first round picks every other year and the only work around is trading a player after you have drafted them on draft night?
He’s right, but we can only trade those picks after the 2024 Draft takes place, then the 2024 pick is in the past and we have no restrictions from ‘25 Draft onwards.

So we can trade all those picks off-season, just have to wait a bit longer.

He’s right, but we can only trade those picks after the 2024 Draft takes place, then the 2024 pick is in the past and we have no restrictions from ‘25 Draft onwards.

So we can trade all those picks off-season, just have to wait a bit longer.
I believe that if the 2024 pick conveys to Atlanta this year, we can not trade our first round pick until 2026 due to the Stepien Rule, where you can’t trade 1st round picks in back to back years. Since the Atlanta pick would have covey BEFORE the draft, we are not making a 1st round draft pick this year, so we cannot trade the 2025 1st round pick.

However, during the 2025 draft, we can draft a player in the 2025 draft and then trade that player after the draft. But, I’m pretty sure we can’t trade the 2025 pick now because we would had already traded the 2024 pick to Atlanta.

Last edited:
I believe that if the 2024 pick conveys to Atlanta this year, we can not trade our first round pick until 2026 due to the Stepien Rule, where you can’t trade 1st round picks in back to back years. Since the Atlanta pick would have covey BEFORE the draft, we are not making a 1st round draft pick this year, so we cannot trade the 2025 1st round pick.

However, during the 2025 draft, we can draft a player in the 2025 draft and then trade that player after the draft. But, I’m pretty sure we can’t trade the 2025 pick now because we would had already traded the 2024 pick to Atlanta.
that’s how I saw it but apparently the Stepien rule only applies to future picks. So if the pick conveys, the draft passes and now we have access to the ‘25z. It appears it’s a loop hole in the “teams must have a first round every other year” Stepien rule.

that’s how I saw it but apparently the Stepien rule only applies to future picks. So if the pick conveys, the draft passes and now we have access to the ‘25z. It appears it’s a loop hole in the “teams must have a first round every other year” Stepien rule.
Here's an in depth article on the Stepien Rule. Since we would convey the pick to Atlanta before the draft, instead of after we make the selection, the Kings cannot trade the 2025 First round pick unless we acquired another first round pick to trade. Therefore the 1st first round pick we can include in a trade is the 2026 first round pick.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/how-teams-get-around-the-stepien-rule/

Last edited:
Here's an in depth article on the Stepien Rule. Since we would convey the pick to Atlanta before the draft, instead of after we make the selection, the Kings cannot trade the 2025 First round pick unless we acquired another first round pick to trade. Therefore the 1st first round pick we can include in a trade is the 2026 first round pick.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/how-teams-get-around-the-stepien-rule/
yeh I read that article and was under the same impression you are but ive had several people say that is still not considered a future pick. I guess we will know for sure soon enough

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yes, the Stepien Rule only applies to future picks, and does not apply to past picks, or current picks (i.e. if the draft is underway).

It's often thought of in terms like you stated - "teams must have a first round pick every other year" - but that's not technically the rule and is easy to misinterpret as "a team cannot go two straight years without making a first-round selection", which is NOT the rule.

It's better to look at the rule like this: "A team may not engage in any trade, the terms of which would make it *possible* for there to be two consecutive future drafts in which they do not own a first-round selection (theirs or another team's)."

I found this on a different site

“Because the Stepien rule applies only to future draft picks, teams are still permitted to trade their first-rounders every year if they so choose, but they can’t trade out of the first round for back-to-back future drafts.

For instance, since the Celtics have traded their 2023 first-round pick to Indiana, they aren’t currently permitted to trade their 2024 first-rounder. Following the 2023 draft, the Celtics would regain the right to trade that 2024 first-round pick, since their ’23 first-rounder will no longer be considered a future pick.”

Yes, the Stepien Rule only applies to future picks, and does not apply to past picks, or current picks (i.e. if the draft is underway).

It's often thought of in terms like you stated - "teams must have a first round pick every other year" - but that's not technically the rule and is easy to misinterpret as "a team cannot go two straight years without making a first-round selection", which is NOT the rule.

It's better to look at the rule like this: "A team may not engage in any trade, the terms of which would make it *possible* for there to be two consecutive future drafts in which they do not own a first-round selection (theirs or another team's)."
“The future is now.” Something that could be said by the Kings during the 2024 draft - as their pick is conveying to Atlanta.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'll always remember what a waste of talent DMC was. Not all his fault of course I think the nail in the coffin was re-signing JT after the Robinson draft.
I will never ever ever understand why people can say DeMarcus was what was wrong with the Kings when we followed him up with,

Jimmer
TRob
McBen
Sauce Castillo
WCS
PapaG

In the following six lotteries. One single pick in that lot goes right, and the Sacramento Kings history is very different.

I will fight on this hill to my dying breath.

I will never ever ever understand why people can say DeMarcus was what was wrong with the Kings when we followed him up with,

Jimmer -
TRob -
McBen -
Sauce Castillo
WCS
PapaG

In the following six lotteries. One single pick in that lot goes right, and the Sacramento Kings history is very different.

I will fight on this hill to my dying breath.
Jimmer - Klay or Leonard were picked after
TRob - Dame was next pick and who I wanted, but they were worried about JT leaving.
McBen - Giannas was recommended by Petrie to the new owners.

The rest wouldn't have mattered because they would have been in the playoffs.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Jimmer - Klay or Leonard were picked after
TRob - Dame was next pick and who I wanted, but they were worried about JT leaving.
McBen - Giannas was recommended by Petrie to the new owners.

The rest wouldn't have mattered because they would have been in the playoffs.
Man, I remember seeing Leonard was pretty regularly mocked to us too. Mainly as an undersized 4, which shows how right those mockers get it on their write ups!