JT wants to get traded (and other trade discussion)

Its not but given that these idiots are paying $6.5m for Landry, $6M for JT and another $6-odd m for Williams, its an overkill and we all know that Landry and D-Will are their guys and JT is a holdover from a previous regime.
Yeah the combo of all of them is terrible.

He's got a 5% kicker too, but the last year is only 2.65 million guarantee.

He has no positive value contract wise, it is a negative contract. We get so much use out of him there is simply not much else we can take back at a negative value contract in return and improve ourselves or we would have.

I'll give you a clue about what you can get for him without much incentive added.

Felton and Ledo from the Mavs.

$4,540,000 for Felton next season,

$6,431,250 for Thompson

But it gets you out of Thompson guarantee of 2.65 million the following year.

That's the garbage realm we are in. That is what types of trades are possible for Thompson, I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather keep Thompson if that's his likely return standards.

Nothing says wants to make a splashy move like leading off wiht a guard shooting .328 from the field.
I get what your saying, however, we're not talking about a 5 or 6 year vet where you pretty much know what you're gonna get. Nik is still viewed as a young player with a lot of potential that could develop into a nice player under the right circumstances. That's what other GM's likely see. That's precisely why I disagreed with those that thought Ben McClemore had little value toward the end of last season. Unlike players such as Jimmer Fredette and Thomas Robinson that had more than 1 or 2 bad seasons going for them (undersized), Ben and Nik have skills, size, athleticism that will keep them coveted for at least a couple more years before continued poor play would make them nearly worthless.

I'm not saying Nik would net a lot right now, but he certainly has some value because of his age, size and known shooting ability.

But, to your point, whatever they'd net wouldn't be considered a "splashy" move unless they were a small part to much larger trade.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If you offered him away for free names some teams who would take him if you can.
Since I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, I see no point in humoring the hypothetical. A better question to ask would be, how many contenders are under the cap, that they could afford to take on Thompson's salary, and how many teams that are far enough under the cap to sign him are actually interested in contending, and/or taking on any long-term contracts?

Are you under the mistaken impression that there are twenty-nine teams in the NBA with a better backup F/C? Or are you implying that it's somehow Thompson's fault that we're starting him?

If you offered him away for free names some teams who would take him if you can.
Half of the teams in the NBA would take Thompson for free if they had the cap space. At the very very very very least, he's a veteran backup who can rebound and score.

He has a career average of 26.6mpg 9.5pts 6.9rebs 1.1asts on .498% FG. That's a solid NBA career.

I'll give you a clue about what you can get for him without much incentive added.
Since I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, I see no point in humoring the hypothetical. A better question to ask would be, how many contenders are under the cap, that they could afford to take on Thompson's salary, and how many teams that are far enough under the cap to sign him are actually interested in contending, and/or taking on any long-term contracts?

Are you under the mistaken impression that there are twenty-nine teams in the NBA with a better backup F/C? Or are you implying that it's somehow Thompson's fault that we're starting him?
Posted this later.

$6,431,250 for Thompson

That's the garbage realm we are in. That is what types of trades are possible for Thompson, I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather keep Thompson if that's his likely return standards.

Half of the teams in the NBA would take Thompson for free if they had the cap space. At the very very very very least, he's a veteran backup who can rebound and score.

He has a career average of 26.6mpg 9.5pts 6.9rebs 1.1asts on .498% FG. That's a solid NBA career.
They don't have the cap space.

So it means he has negative value.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

$6,431,250 for Thompson

Your example only proves my point: Dallas is over the cap. They have nothing but trash to offer us. All of their good players are getting paid out the ass. Who the hell else could they offer us, and still make the salaries match, Dirk?

You make it sound like that would be Dallas making us a lowball offer, as if it's some kind of reflection on Thompson, when the reality is that those are the only assets they have to offer.

For any of you guys claiming he has more value, I challenge a trade you can come up with, that adds no incentive that is better than the Felton trade another team would make.

This is yet another front office "leak" that is trying to damage persons reputation on the way out. Its rather pathetic that these imbeciles need to stoop to that level to justify their decision to make a move.

First slag off on IT (while some is warranted, some is not, even if it is true), then slag off on Malone and question his professionalism. Not let it be heard that JT has requested a trade even if he hasn't. Now I don't know if he has, and if it fact he has, I don't blame him but these bunch of weasels can man up for once, put their ****ing hand up and say I have traded this guy because I think he does not fit what we want from that position. He has been a hard working class act his entire time in Sacramento and we wish him nothing but the absolute best.

But no, lets they and throw some mud to justify our decision. Pathetic and so predictable by this organization in the last 18 months. At least Geoff Petrie has class and treated all the players that have left or have been traded with respect.
That seems unlikely. Leaking that a player wants out gives the other side more leverage in trade negotiations. There's no upside.

Reports that JT has wanted out are not new, either.

But I guess, sure, pile on

Your example only proves my point: Dallas is over the cap. They have nothing but trash to offer us. All of their good players are getting paid out the ass. Who the hell else could they offer us, and still make the salaries match, Dirk?
No one can afford to pay him that much, nor wants to next season, nor his partial guarantee.

Unless you want some serious garbage back.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
No can can afford to pay him that much, nor wants to next season, nor his partial guarantee.

Unless you want some serious garbage back.
You're trying to extrapolate something out of what you perceive Thompson's value to be, which assumes facts that are not in evidence. There are teams that would want Thompson, but can't afford him, and there are teams who can afford him, who don't want him. With the exception of the Hawks, the teams that fall into the latter category are all bottom feeders, who are in it for the lottery, and don't want any long-term contracts of any kind. That's hardly proof that he's untradeable.

You're trying to extrapolate something out of what you perceive Thompson's value to be, which assumes facts that are not in evidence. There are teams that would want Thompson, but can't afford him, and there are teams who can afford him, who don't want him. That's hardly proof that he's untradeable.
I've been trying to trade him on realgm for years....

With fans from all over, with guys who know the cap inside and out.

So have others, never ever has it been done by anyone who does not yield garbage back.

Surprise me, show me a trade that will work that gets him out of here without adding incentive to it, where we don't get a guy like Felton as the return.

That seems unlikely. Leaking that a player wants out gives the other side more leverage in trade negotiations. There's no upside.

Reports that JT has wanted out are not new, either.

But I guess, sure, pile on
Forgive me if my trust in the front office is shot. You know, once bitten twice shy thing!

This guys have been lying through their teeth for a while now and leaking crap to suit their agenda. The only difference is that a lot of fans stopped buying it. You know about Mike Malone's lack of professionalism and DeMarcus Cousins not wanting George Karl here hence why the hire was not made earlier.

These idiots have lost all trust and it will be a LONG LONG time until they regain it. There is an agenda behind everything they say or do.

I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't trade JT for a starting PF.

I think the draft and FA could easily fix our starting PF problem. You insert Willey Cauley Stein or Amir Johnson.
Ride with Reggie as starting PF for the rest of the season while we rebuild for playoffs next year.

Here's my trading scenarios with JT.

1. Sacramento-Jason Thompson/ Ramon Sessions
Atlanta- Thabo Sefolosha/Elton Brand
  • ATL is one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA. Before you get jumpy about Sefoloshas name in this trade, he's had a very very disappointing season this year. He's contributed very very minimal to their success if any. They went on their huge run without him, and I think he's expendable.

2. Sacramento-Jason Thompson/Ramon Sessions
Miami- Josh McRoberts/Justin Hamilton
  • Miami is probably THE worst rebounding team in the NBA.. Josh McRoberts is a good stretch 4, but injuries and more injuries. They need JT more than JT needs them..

3. Sacramento-Jason Thompson/Ramon Sessions
Detroit- Joel Anthony/Anthony Tolliver
  • Detroit is actually a few games away from the playoffs believe it or not. They've lost Brandon Jennings out for the year and are now depending on DJ Augistin and John Lucas. Detroit is another team that lacks a solid PF/C. Tolliver is a stretch PF they'd have to give up to gain. JT gives them rebounding and backup minutes, while Sessions helps with PG duties.

I'm hesitant not to make a trade with MIL because they desperately need front court help, especially if they make the playoffs. They're modeled a bit like the Warriors team, run and gun style. Problem is, aside from Johnny O'Braynt(rookie) and Zaza, they don't have any real big men.. I'm pretty sure we could pull off a trade with them, but I don't know which players they'd want to trade out of their bunch. They have a ton of good role players.

I will add more trade scenarios to this list as I make them up

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I've been trying to trade him on realgm for years....
Which is supposed to mean what, to me? You know that "realgm" is a figure of speech, right?

Twenty-four of the thirty teams in the league are over the salary cap. Only one of the six teams that are under the cap are actually trying to win. The other five have no interest in taking on any non-expiring contracts. If other teams have nothing to offer but "trash," the fault is not with Thompson, or his contract; he's not grossly overpaid, which is what you appear to be implying.

I'm not sure the Hawks do anything that might remotely screw up their chemistry, even if Brand and Thabo aren't playing for them

But you could be on to something with Miami. They're in need of a big body (although striking gold on Whiteside helps) and are still not guaranteed of making the postseason. I'd also think about other teams worried about playoff positioning and interested in big man depth. Of course, some may only peruse the buyout market, which will include Amare among others.

I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't trade JT for a starting PF.

I think the draft and FA could easily fix our starting PF problem. You insert Willey Cauley Stein or Amir Johnson.
Ride with Reggie as starting PF for the rest of the season while we rebuild for playoffs next year.

Here's my trading scenarios with JT.

1. Sacramento-Jason Thompson/ Ramon Sessions
Atlanta- Thabo Sefolosha/Elton Brand

ATL is one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA. Before you get jumpy about Sefoloshas name in this trade, he's had a very very disappointing season this year. He's contributed very very minimal to their success if any. They went on their huge run without him, and I think he's expendable.

2. Sacramento-Jason Thompson/Ramon Sessions
Miami- Josh McRoberts/Justin Hamilton

Miami is probably THE worst rebounding team in the NBA.. Josh McRoberts is a good stretch 4, but injuries and more injuries. They need JT more than JT needs them..

I will add more trade scenarios to this list as I make them up
I'd make the Atlanta trade, but are you sure they would not to prefer to keep Thabo around for D in the playoffs?

Also I'd decline the Miami trade, I'd rather buy JT out for 2.65 million on the third year of the McRoberts contract, or even fully pay JT and keep him on the roster.

If they don't get a PF in a trade now, they'll probably just play out the season with Reggie Evans starting, since he's already played for Karl
And that actually is not a bad idea... and we don't lose much. I'm ok with that. Still leaves us with a giant hole for a long term starting PF solution, but maybe we can address that in free agency.

I'm ok with moving JT. Just please get us a solid, usable, core player, even just a solid bench player... THAT CAN PLAY D.

We actually have a pretty good starting five... what happens is our bench comes in and our defense goes to absolute crap, with our offense not far behind. So perhaps the thinking is sling JT for a long term quality bench captain type player, then address our PF hole going forward, because, I think quite obviously, JT is not it.

Ok... I'm actually starting to see some potential logic here... maybe...