Josh Smith?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the McCallum trade was strictly to bring in another big or stretch forward IMO...whether it's Smith or someone else remains to be seen. I don't really see a fit for Josh here...he loves chucking outside shots, sure...he will make some here and there but then that mentality gets implanted in his brain and he continues to do it. I suppose it's not a big deal if he playing only 20-25 minutes a game but I digress.

I like Josh Smith as a player. He is so versatile and can contribute in so many ways.
But I don't think he would be pleased with coming off the bench for a former lottery team fighting for the 8th spot.
He was ok coming off the bench for the Rockets. But they had a legitimate shot at going deep into the playoffs.
The situation with the Kings is a bit different.
If we sign Smith it will be for the starting 5.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
the McCallum trade was strictly to bring in another big or stretch forward IMO...whether it's Smith or someone else remains to be seen. I don't really see a fit for Josh here...he loves chucking outside shots, sure...he will make some here and there but then that mentality gets implanted in his brain and he continues to do it. I suppose it's not a big deal if he playing only 20-25 minutes a game but I digress.
The funny thing is, if you actually look at the shot charts of all the PF candidates left over, despite all the stupid shots Josh Smith might have the most potential to be a George Karl type offensive guy if he ever grew a brain stem, or just suddenly wised up and realized his push to be a "star" has scuttled his reputation and career, not advanced it. When he was a 12ppg roleplayer he was much more valuable. In any case, last year he hit his corner threes, and is of course a decent finisher inside with his athleticism. Amare is a far better offensive player, but he scores inside, that's why he is efficient. Bargs 3pt efficiency has plummeted, and it never was really his shot. Mbah a Moute is not an offensive player, not even from the corners. Arthur favors the same straight on midrange jumpers Cuz likes, etc. If something about this situation -- amongst friends, last chance, whatever -- could convince Smith to stcik to responsible shots, he could be valuable.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The funny thing is, if you actually look at the shot charts of all the PF candidates left over, despite all the stupid shots Josh Smith might have the most potential to be a George Karl type offensive guy if he ever grew a brain stem, or just suddenly wised up and realized his push to be a "star" has scuttled his reputation and career, not advanced it. When he was a 12ppg roleplayer he was much more valuable. In any case, last year he hit his corner threes, and is of course a decent finisher inside with his athleticism. Amare is a far better offensive player, but he scores inside, that's why he is efficient. Bargs 3pt efficiency has plummeted, and it never was really his shot. Mbah a Moute is not an offensive player, not even from the corners. Arthur favors the same straight on midrange jumpers Cuz likes, etc. If something about this situation -- amongst friends, last chance, whatever -- could convince Smith to stcik to responsible shots, he could be valuable.
And at this point a lot of the role players that I thought would shore up the Kings roster are being nabbed. Scola to the Raptors, Hill to the Pacers, O'Quinn to the Knicks, Teletovic to the Suns, Wright apparently to the Heat with the Mavs said to be interested in Seraphin.

So if it isn't Josh Smith then you're looking at Darrell Arthur, Bargnani, or bringing back Acy or Evans at PF and guys like Mbah a Moute, Budinger, Landry Fields or a Hedo reunion at SF.

And while I'm okay with Mbah a Moute or Arthur the reality is that last year per 36 they both took about the same number of 3's as Smith and both shot a worse percentage. In fact Smith had a better overall shooting percentage than both and that's despite shooting under 40% (and under 25% from three) for 28 games as a starter in Detroit.

Smith also brings better rebounding, ball handling, passing and more shotblocking than Mbah a Moute or Arthur. The point in favor of Mbah a Moute or Arthur is that they've shown themselves to be comfortable in a reduced role and while Smith did that in Houston, he's been a starter at every other time in his career. So whether he'd be happy as a rotational, defensive forward I don't know.

Bargnani DOES bring something different to the table. He's really the only stretch 4 left and in a limited role on a cheap contract I think he'd be a good signing though I still think he's (1) soft and (2) prone to bad decision making.

My 1st choice was Luis Scola and Dorell Wright (and Andre Miller) to fill out the roster. A crafty vet PF and a sweet shooting vet SF would've rounded things out nicely.

My second choice was a defensive SF and a stretch 4. KJ McDaniels, DeAndre Liggins or Luc Mbah a Moute paired with either Teletovic or Bargnani. Teletovic signed for more than I expected and Houston will match on McDaniels (or so they say) but a Mbah a Moute or Liggins paired with Bargnani is still there.

With Josh Smith I think you'd still need one more wing shooter but I'm not sure who that would be at this point. Maybe just sign Liggins and run Bellinelli or McLemore as an undersized SF when needed?

Vivek's getting scruffy. Time to finalize the roster and I'll be interested to see what Vlade does.

I hope the Kings do pick up Smith for these reasons (besides all of the pure basketball reasons):
1. The National Media appears to HATE the idea of the Kings improving (claiming they are destined to fail) and are already getting nasty about even the idea of Josh Smith coming to Sac. (Personally, I think they are all Knicks/Lakers fans and are crazy jealous)
2. We have been rebuilding via the "Draft and trades" for about 10 years... it is time to try a new approach
3. I LOVE the idea of the Sacramento Kings having a team with some real on and off court swagger.
4. Very excited about the possibility that if this team can jive, the Kings could be coined "the new-era 1989 Detroit Pistons "Bad Boys"" with a crushing defense, win at all costs mentality and a LOT of technical fouls...

maybe I am going too far, but people like Rondo and DMC bring more to the court than just skill... they bring a desire to win and a matching attitude and I, for one, LOVE IT!

GO KINGS!

Here's my thoughts on getting J Smoove

"why not, eff it...
"
Pretty much. A year ago, I would have been (and was) totally opposed to any deal that would have brought in Rondo or Smith. At this point, I am in favor of any influx of talent as a chance to keep Cousins and make the team competitive. This will either be the basketball equivalent of the Dirty Dozen, or it will be the '09-'10 Wizards. Either way will be more entertaining than the last five years.

Pretty much. A year ago, I would have been (and was) totally opposed to any deal that would have brought in Rondo or Smith. At this point, I am in favor of any influx of talent as a chance to keep Cousins and make the team competitive. This will either be the basketball equivalent of the Dirty Dozen, or it will be the '09-'10 Wizards. Either way will be more entertaining than the last five years.
I would have been too but with these players I look at it and think if they can utilize smaller roles that fit their strengths, then we might have something.

Think about Rudy. When he is Batman and the #1 option, he's one of the worst #1 options in the league. When he's Robin and the #2 option, he's one of the best #2 options in the league. Rondo and Smith are the same way. Don't put them into roles where they need to do more than they're capable of doing and they will be positive contributors. Make them do things outside of that and you're going to get failure. Like we see any time we try and get Rudy to take the last shot in a game. It's all about coaching at this point. Is Karl going to play to their strengths or is he going to just make it a my way or the highway situation? He's no dummy and he knows what these guys are capable of, so I have faith in him.

It sounds like Butler was signed on a veteran's minimum deal so he shouldn't have any impact on our ability to sign Smith.
I'm no cap expert....I'm not even a novice. Does that mean that his signing doesn't count against the cap at all?

I hope so because I was just starting to picture Josh Smith throwing lobs all day long to WCS.

I would think since its an agreement to sign and is a vet min contract we could still waive Stockton, sign Josh, then when at the cap use Room Except to sign Casspi, and then sign Anderson, Butler, Miller, 6th big to min contracts

Rondo, Collison, Miller
Ben, Belinelli, Anderson
Gay, Casspi, Butler
Josh, WCS, Moreland
BigCuz, Koufos, 6th Big

Wow!! A lot of Talent in top 10 rotation and 3 deep at each position

I see the 5 man bench doing a lot of damage too!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm no cap expert....I'm not even a novice. Does that mean that his signing doesn't count against the cap at all?

I hope so because I was just starting to picture Josh Smith throwing lobs all day long to WCS.
Teams are allowed to sign minimum contracts after they use their cap space (up to the maximum of 15 roster spots). That means that if we have an agreement to sign Butler to a contract that starts at the veteran's minimum, we can wait to file the paperwork until after we use the rest of our cap space. His contract will still count against our cap once it's signed, but we can safely use all of our remaining cap space to sign a different free agent right now (Josh Smith for example) and still honor our promise to give Caron Butler 3m over two years after that.

J

jdbraver

WCS is looking raw in SL... We need J-Smoove ASAP. Our 4/5 depth chart isn't ready.
On the bright side,.. Sim City has looking a little improved.
Just one game. And he didn't look terrible. Not saying he is a starter, but he could contribute. If your expectations were that he would come in and start I'd say they were a bit high to begin with.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
WCS is looking raw in SL... We need J-Smoove ASAP. Our 4/5 depth chart isn't ready.
Not sure what side you were watching, but his post offense is completely irrelevant. He could play a dozen years in the NBA, never use a single post move, and still be a valuable player, let alone for us sandwiched between 2 20pt scorers. Its the other end where you have to watch to see if he can contribute. And it looked like he could on that side right off the bat. Be better as bench energy until he calms down, but he looked able to do exactly the things we drafted him to do.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I splurged the $4.99 for the NBA Summer League pass and watched yesterday's game. I thought WCS looked pretty good, he moves fast down the floor and on the defensive end. Sim was improved from last year but probably still belongs in the D League until he shapes up.

You dont get anywhere in life or in basketball without taking chances and just playing it safe. I say load up on as much talent that is as balanced as possible and make a run for the playoffs. For all the reasons people think it could fail and blow up in our faces you have another group that could argue differently.

Mr.Smith is an immensely talented ball player and as you saw in Houston its clear he knows how to be a role player!

Hell, maybe Karl will let him take a three each game!

JUST ONE THOUGH