IST Championship Open Thread

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
so with this conclusion, I have to say that playing 20 games and winning a single elimination tournament is just silly. The idea where this originally came from, which is the UEFA Champions league is played through almost an entire calendar year on top of playing for their league squads with minimal rest and two matches in each stage. Every announcer from Breen, to Doc, to Doris to whoever else covered these games is trying to convince fans that this is something significant from a competitive stand point but I'm not really seeing that. This tournament will probably be a new norm now since everyone is talking it up and its getting exposure and Vegas loves it
I would liken it more to domestic cups than a champions league which is why I’ve advocated for the winner to move up a seed in the playoffs the way winning domestic cups would get access to a champions league, I’m fine with the timing.

I’d love to see them work qualifying into the dunk contest into the tourney with each team putting up players for head to head battles top player from each group gets in plus two at large. Make that a 500k prize too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I would liken it more to domestic cups than a champions league which is why I’ve advocated for the winner to move up a seed in the playoffs the way winning domestic cups would get access to a champions league, I’m fine with the timing.

I’d love to see them work qualifying into the dunk contest into the tourney with each team putting up players for head to head battles top player from each group gets in plus two at large. Make that a 500k prize too.
do the domestic cups have group stages?

I didn't mind the 2014 format, East vs West, group of three players facing off. Didn't last after that year though

I didn't mind the 2014 format, East vs West, group of three players facing off. Didn't last after that year though
Well, the domestic cups are elimination bracket competitions. But teams from all leagues participate. Most nations have hierarchical soccer leagues: 1 main league, second level league, 3rd level league(s), 4th level leagues, ec...winners and losers of these leagues move up and down the level. So the Cup in this setup is a knockout competition where all the teams participate, from all the leagues.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

No but I'd still argue that our standard playoffs are more like a champions league (regular season top teams qualify) vs. this tournament being every team gets in. NBA doesn't recognize regular season record "trophies" but other US based leagues that give their real championship to the playoff winner still recognize best regular season (MLS Supporter's Shield, NHL President's Trophy)

Plus the timing and the perception that this is a lesser accomplishment whereas I think most teams would put a Champions league on par with their league's championship.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
No but I'd still argue that our standard playoffs are more like a champions league (regular season top teams qualify) vs. this tournament being every team gets in. NBA doesn't recognize regular season record "trophies" but other US based leagues that give their real championship to the playoff winner still recognize best regular season (MLS Supporter's Shield, NHL President's Trophy)

Plus the timing and the perception that this is a lesser accomplishment whereas I think most teams would put a Champions league on par with their league's championship.
not every team got in the tournament though. Also, champions league is the best of all of Euro competing for the title which gives those super clubs bragging rights, name recognition, evolved fan support and big time money to draw superstar players

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
not every team got in the tournament though. Also, champions league is the best of all of Euro competing for the title which gives those super clubs bragging rights, name recognition, evolved fan support and big time money to draw superstar players
Every NBA team was in the group stage yes. All of them. That's why I am ranking it with the domestic cups not a champions league. Obviously there are differences on every level.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Every NBA team was in the group stage yes. All of them. That's why I am ranking it with the domestic cups not a champions league. Obviously there are differences on every level.
but if the domestic cups have no group stages, it's not the same. it's a smaller tournament which might explain why there are no championship games in league play and goes to the team with the highest points

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think the single elimination games were the most fun, so at least adding another round of that would be fun.
No thanks. I'm not a big proponent of the, "If a little is good, more must be better!" way of thinking. Besides, adding another round would basically be recreating the NBA playoffs as March Madness and I, for one, don't want that.

Your other suggestions seem to carry the tinge of, "Well, I don't care about the IST, but I do care about the playoffs, so make the IST count for the playoffs, and then I'll care about it." I say let the IST be its own thing; it shouldn't have s**t to do with the standings or the playoffs.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

Even if you have a PhD (which, TTBOMK, exactly two posters on KingsFans have), nobody here is anyone else's therapist.

Do not armchair-diagnose other posters, please and thank you.

In case anyone who didn't see what this is about is wondering what the hell I'm talking about, the posts that precipitated this mod note have been removed.

Maybe not a cancer but cetianly publicly disgruntled, which won't endear you to fans. Like the rest of us at the time. I'm guessing he's a decent teammate in non-contract years. The chucking contest he an Bogdan got into didnt help anyone but them.

[Modding]

Even if you have a PhD (which, TTBOMK, exactly two posters on KingsFans have), nobody here is anyone else's therapist.

Do not armchair-diagnose other posters, please and thank you.

In case anyone who didn't see what this is about is wondering what the hell I'm talking about, the posts that precipitated this mod note have been removed.
I think half of sports fandom ends up being cheap therapy.

I'm not trying to be a therapist. But in all honesty, people need to stop lying to themselves and in their life.

Harry Giles walked in to Sac knowing he was not what the fans expected or hoped, but was still accepted for what he was.

It's not a failure. But just be real with yourself.

It's a good question. How would YOU celebrate in that scenario?
What kind of stupid comparison is that? The goal of an NBA team is to win a real championship. I’m not getting paid 50 million to go to Vegas and hit blackjack on a $100 hand. That’s the equivalent of an nba team winning a tournament 2 weeks into the season. I said the games were cool, the celebration is way over the top. I’m not alone in that thinking. You guys have this fraternity in here where you just hate when someone doesn’t go around kissing a** and having the same viewpoints as you so when they comment, you all come and attack out of the woodworks. Like seriously, get a life.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What kind of stupid comparison is that? The goal of an NBA team is to win a real championship. I’m not getting paid 50 million to go to Vegas and hit blackjack on a $100 hand. That’s the equivalent of an nba team winning a tournament 2 weeks into the season. I said the games were cool, the celebration is way over the top. I’m not alone in that thinking. You guys have this fraternity in here where you just hate when someone doesn’t go around kissing a** and having the same viewpoints as you so when they comment, you all come and attack out of the woodworks. Like seriously, get a life.
I was literally just asking you what you would have done if you’d won the inaugural IST for the second biggest pro sports league in the county but fine be a **** about it I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
I was literally just asking you what you would have done if you’d won the inaugural IST for the second biggest pro sports league in the county but fine be a **** about it I guess
Naw don’t try and back out now. At the end of the day, you know it wasn’t a decision any single player made. The league decided to have champagne and goggles waiting for them. So even in your imaginary world, I still wouldn’t get to choose how I would celebrate in that situation. And for the record, I hate the celebrations for anything other than a flat out league championship. I hate when baseball teams do it for clinching a division or winning a series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't look now, but the 2 IST Championship teams are now 2 wins and 7 losses combined (the Lakers 1-3 and Indiana 1-4) since that December 9th "Championship Game"......

So, who wants the Kings to go all out for that meaningless IST Championship next year now?

If the NBA doesn't add a playoff kicker for the IST winner, I wouldn't mind the Kings losing their bracket and playing easier teams during that "IST Playoff week".

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Don't look now, but the 2 IST Championship teams are now 2 wins and 7 losses combined (the Lakers 1-3 and Indiana 1-4) since that December 9th "Championship Game"......

So, who wants the Kings to go all out for that meaningless IST Championship next year now?

If the NBA doesn't add a playoff kicker for the IST winner, I wouldn't mind the Kings losing their bracket and playing easier teams during that "IST Playoff week".
You lose your bracket by losing games that count too. I don't know, I don't think the IST is why they are losing now. One extra game. I happen to think Indy was playing above themselves and are regressing to their mean.

You lose your bracket by losing games that count too. I don't know, I don't think the IST is why they are losing now. One extra game. I happen to think Indy was playing above themselves and are regressing to their mean.
I think part of it is also psychological. When you invest so much energy, focus and emotion in winning that tournament, it feels like you hit an emotional “climax or ending”.

It may be more difficult for these team to rebound and come back out and play regular season games. They may need more time to reboot and refocus for the regular season after reaching such a pinnacle.