Is Willie Cauley-Stein still an option at center for Sacramento Kings?

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date
“I just want to hoop freely. That’s kind of the biggest thing for me, just going somewhere, whether it’s here or anywhere else, just taking that next evolution to the game where you’re not just a rim runner. You’re a pick-and-pop guy sometimes. You can get rolling with what the defense gives you. I wanna be that dude.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article231871293.html#storylink=cpy

He still just doesn't get it. Joerger utilized him in ways that no other coach would have and gave him ample opportunities to broaden his game. Dude acts like he was nothing but a rim runner while he was here. He is delusional.

“I just want to hoop freely. That’s kind of the biggest thing for me, just going somewhere, whether it’s here or anywhere else, just taking that next evolution to the game where you’re not just a rim runner. You’re a pick-and-pop guy sometimes. You can get rolling with what the defense gives you. I wanna be that dude.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article231871293.html#storylink=cpy

He still just doesn't get it. Joerger utilized him in ways that no other coach would have and gave him ample opportunities to broaden his game. Dude acts like he was nothing but a rim runner while he was here. He is delusional.
I like Stein, but I agree that he's out there a bit - and doesn't give any mention of defense, which is what the Kings need. He's still worried about offense. He has nothing to stand on with his FT crud. Its true the organization went away from giving him shooting that they had given more to the year before their turnaround and were experimenting, but its really not about offense. They need him to up his blocks per game, and to a lesser extent rebounding. The public peeing pretty much assures he's gone. Wouldn't have minded keeping him, but not if he wants to whine about it. A more pertinent question becomes, should the Kings overpay for Vucevic, and by how much. I would be ok with Valaciunas as the secondary mid-tier player as a stopgap player if Vucevic insisted on too high a salary.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Willie's mindset reminds me of that one summer where Donte Greene decided he was going to be a power forward for some reason and spent all summer bulking up (i.e. getting fat) to bang in the post all while there was a gaping hole at the SF position.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Willie apparently unaware that being a pick-and-pop guy requires some semblance of a jumper.

This strategy may actually backfire on Willie.

If the Kings renounce him, other teams bidding for him won’t have to try and give him a higher contract, in hopes the Kings don’t match.

If the Kings renounce his rights, he may be getting some low ball offers.

This strategy may actually backfire on Willie.

If the Kings renounce him, other teams bidding for him won’t have to try and give him a higher contract, in hopes the Kings don’t match.

If the Kings renounce his rights, he may be getting some low ball offers.
His quote was trying to sound diplomatic - "whether its here or anywhere else". Low-balls may be around 9MM per season for. His fair value seems like 11/12. I'm sure the Kings will have an internal meeting on what fair-value means, and a cut-loose value.

As expected and as we already knew.....he's delusional.

Joerger gave him every chance to succeed and even showed faith in him with the free throw thing and yet Willie thinks he was being held back? Lol just ridiculous.

A guy like Willie is yet again proof that basketball and pro-sports in general is about so much more than just physical skills. Without the intangibles and what's in-between the ears those physical skills just don't matter.

I feel this dude is about to get the most rude awakening ever when he goes to another team.

Joerger enabled the hell out of him and continued to believe in him to the point that he was a bigger part of the offense than he should have been. If he goes to an organization with a sterling reputation they will promptly park his *** on the bench the moment he tries his antics. If he goes to a place like NY or Phila, he will promptly be eviscerated by the fans and media.

I really don’t think teams are going to be beating down his door.
An interesting notion - would Stein be willing to accept less money for assurance a team would let him "play freely ". Or flip that -would the Kings be willing to pay him more for assurance of him getting in-line with what the Kings want (defense). The quote may indicate or Stein may want us to believe its not about money. And then, so, how much is 'more'?

Does it really matter? Right now, he's worth the QO - and the Kings have nothing better to do with that money. Extend him the QO and let his agent go to work. If he gets a deal that's too high, let him go. If we find better use for the money before he accepts, rescind the offer. If he takes the QO, that's fine - it's cheap enough and the Kings can do something with him later on if they choose to. Point is, the Kings are in the driver's seat here and there's no incentive to just be like "oh, OK, we'll renounce the rights so you can go do whatever".

Cut him loose. Don't tie up any money with a QO for a player we don't want and who doesn't want to be here.
I truly hope he achieves greatness somewhere else. But first he'll need to get off the cannabis train.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You mean 3 posters, right? But then those three will post repeatedly...
If you think that the WCS defenders, and not the WCS detractors, were the primary culprits of repetitive posting, you might want to go back and read this year's games threads - or for that matter, the last few pages of *this* thread - again.

Does it really matter? Right now, he's worth the QO - and the Kings have nothing better to do with that money. Extend him the QO and let his agent go to work. If he gets a deal that's too high, let him go. If we find better use for the money before he accepts, rescind the offer. If he takes the QO, that's fine - it's cheap enough and the Kings can do something with him later on if they choose to. Point is, the Kings are in the driver's seat here and there's no incentive to just be like "oh, OK, we'll renounce the rights so you can go do whatever".
Financially speaking , I see your point, however, he obviously doesnt want to be here, so he might just end up being a distraction. Best to just move on imo

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
My reaction to reading that Willie wants out on my feed was that the Kings told him what they think he's worth and it came in lower than expected. Or we flat out told him we were going to move on which isn't out of the realm of possibility either. There's no way that begging to be let out of RFA helps him. In fact without a qualifying offer he may keep himself far below what he thinks he is worth.

I liked him fine and all, but if he doesn't want to be here, bye buddy.

After investing a 1st rd pick, 4 yrs of coaching, starter spot, we just say awwww your not happy here, its ok you didn't really try, here is your UFA status?

Make his agent work to find a team that will sign and trade , if we need the cap space for a deal- recind RFA, If we can not find a FA C in July, then If we get him for 6mil -8mil as a back up, fine make him play hard to earn his minutes or bench his ass and trade him for peanuts later in year with him stuck at 8 mil for 3 yr, would rather play Harry anyway

If he signs the QO then he can't be traded.

Vucevic is going to get a lot more than 4/$90M. A LOT more.
Puts him around the top 40 salaries in the NBA. and the top 10 center salaries. That's out of 30 teams. Last year he had an all-pro year - 1 in 8 seasons. I don't think its ALOT more. He's had that 1 All-Star appearance, and 2 less than stellar playoff appearances. I'm more inclined to think 1 hit wonder ie - last season could be as good as he gets performance-wise. He'll be 29 yro this coming season. If on this Kings team he'd at best be a number 3 option on offense behind Hield and Bagley at this point if signed, maybe even 4 behind Fox.. 22.5MM is overpaying already. It's all star money for 4 seasons for 1 all-star appearance track-record.

Best news I've heard in a loong time.

Except for like 8 stubborn posters on here
NOBODY WANTS HIM!
This kind of attitude makes me chuckle. Because these people (there’s more than 8, make no mistake) don’t agree with you, they somehow have to be stubborn ones and not you? IMO that’s just as delusional as WCS is perceived to be.

I agree with @Capt. Factorial that the detractors have been far more vocal, combative, and, IMO, far more stubborn. The proof is littered throughout the threads on this site.

I totally agree with you. As someone that was on board with drafting Willie, but sometimes defended him against the unreasonable while also being among many frustrated by his lack of consistency — he and his agent have lost me with this recent attitude and comments.

I mean, WCS was one of the KINGS standout players and reasons for their hot start to the season. And that’s becuase he took advantage of the opportunity the coach gave him. But then the production fell off. Not because of the coach, but because WCS wasn’t playing as well. So then his minutes and opportunities took a hit. That’s on him. And been the story of his 4 year career.

As you said, he’s been given more opportunity on offense in SAC than likely most others would have trusted him with. While he’s still been a good switch defender, his shot blocking and rim protection has never been what it could or should be.

I remember someone on this board making the point that once WCS hurt his hand a few seasons back, he’s been reluctant to play as aggressively on that end and really go for it. I agree with that. IMO, that’s been the most disappointing part of his game.

Whatever he does offensively is a bonus. He’s often surprised me with his passing and ability to score off the dribble and from 15-20 feet. I think he’s progressed well considering what he showed on that end before entering the NBA.

But the defense end was always his calling card and what was gonna make him super valuable. And he’s regressed on in that regard. I’ve been one to forgive the rebounding because he’s often asked to guard guys out on the perimeter and isn’t always camped near the basket.

To me, the 8.4 rpg he averaged last season is adequate considering the factor above and that facet has never been a strength of his game. So I wont rail him on that. It’s far better than the 4.5 and 5 the first two seasons. But the defense and consistency isn’t something to be overlooked as easily. Not 4 years into a career.

Now top it all off with these comments and attitude? Nope. Can’t buy into it.

That all said, I don’t want Vlade to let him go for nothing just because he doesn’t want to be here anymore. That doesn’t help the team. Regardless how the overly negative detractors feel, Willie has value. I’d rather see Vlade exercise the option and then try to work some kind of deal to trade him to a team that believes they can utilize his skill set. If that can’t be accomplished with only a 6+ million contract, then let him go at season’s end.

But I think it’s be a mistake to let him go for nothing now.

I totally agree with you. As someone that was on board with drafting Willie, but sometimes defended him against the unreasonable while also being among many frustrated by his lack of consistency — he and his agent have lost me with this recent attitude and comments.

I mean, WCS was one of the KINGS standout players and reasons for their hot start to the season. And that’s becuase he took advantage of the opportunity the coach gave him. But then the production fell off. Not because of the coach, but because WCS wasn’t playing as well. So then his minutes and opportunities took a hit. That’s on him. And been the story of his 4 year career.

As you said, he’s been given more opportunity on offense in SAC than likely most others would have trusted him with. While he’s still been a good switch defender, his shot blocking and rim protection has never been what it could or should be.

I remember someone on this board making the point that once WCS hurt his hand a few seasons back, he’s been reluctant to play as aggressively on that end and really go for it. I agree with that. IMO, that’s been the most disappointing part of his game.

Whatever he does offensively is a bonus. He’s often surprised me with his passing and ability to score off the dribble and from 15-20 feet. I think he’s progressed well considering what he showed on that end before entering the NBA.

But the defense end was always his calling card and what was gonna make him super valuable. And he’s regressed on in that regard. I’ve been one to forgive the rebounding because he’s often asked to guard guys out on the perimeter and isn’t always camped near the basket.

To me, the 8.4 rpg he averaged last season is adequate considering the factor above and that facet has never been a strength of his game. So I wont rail him on that. It’s far better than the 4.5 and 5 the first two seasons. But the defense and consistency isn’t something to be overlooked as easily. Not 4 years into a career.

Now top it all off with these comments and attitude? Nope. Can’t buy into it.

That all said, I don’t want Vlade to let him go for nothing just because he doesn’t want to be here anymore. That doesn’t help the team. Regardless how the overly negative detractors feel, Willie has value. I’d rather see Vlade exercise the option and then try to work some kind of deal to trade him to a team that believes they can utilize his skill set. If that can’t be accomplished with only a 6+ million contract, then let him go at season’s end.

But I think it’s be a mistake to let him go for nothing now.
Sometimes getting rid off that type of attitude from the locker room is worth mora than the assets you might get from a team in a sign and trade.

Let’s be honest here. Leading to the trade deadline there have been reports that Kings have been shopping WCS. There haven’t been any reported takers (at least not for what Kings would have wanted) so he stays until the end of the season constantly wanting more offensive freedom to show off his skills. Its a me forst attitude that this team does not need.

For the record, I wanted us to draft WCS as I saw him as a big man that complemented Cousins’ short coming at the time (defense, shotblocking). Rebounding was never his forte but it didn’t need to be with DMC. With this team we needed WCS to rebound, defend, protect the rim and rim run. He wanted something completely different. The expectations of two parties are not aligned and as such it will never work so its best to part ways.

Does it suck that we lose him for nothing? Yes it does but so did blowing 1st round picks on Papgiannis, Richardson and Skal and we have pretty much nothing to show for it but we are still in a pretty good spot.