I'm on the Moreland band wagon. Are you?

Are you on the Moreland bandwagon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I must say I haven't. Is it something that basketball players usually tweet about?
It's something just about anyone not from LA comments about if they're forced to endure it. It's like the 7th circle of hell. I don't think there's anything there but a random comment. :)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's something just about anyone not from LA comments about if they're forced to endure it. It's like the 7th circle of hell. I don't think there's anything there but a random comment. :)
Not from LA, but I've lived here for 13 years and it's something that everyone who lives here talks about frequently, not just the newbies. Talking about the traffic is more common than talking about the weather. Both of them are oppressively consistent year round, but strangely enough not too many complain about the ever present sunshine. :) Actually, I'm strongly considering moving just about anywhere else at this point because I've wasted enough of my life fighting traffic already.

But in more related news, does anyone know where this Team USA training thing is happening? I was kindof hoping I could bump into Boogie and wish him luck.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not from LA, but I've lived here for 13 years and it's something that everyone who lives here talks about frequently, not just the newbies. Talking about the traffic is more common than talking about the weather. Both of them are oppressively consistent year round, but strangely enough not too many complain about the ever present sunshine. :) Actually, I'm strongly considering moving just about anywhere else at this point because I've wasted enough of my life fighting traffic already.

But in more related news, does anyone know where this Team USA training thing is happening? I was kindof hoping I could bump into Boogie and wish him luck.
You mean on those rare days when the skies are clear enough to actually see it? :p

EDIT: To answer your question, some of the players are kicking it in LA before heading back to Vegas where training camp starts on Monday.

What I find interesting is the anticipation, ferver, and angst being generated by the potential signing of an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE. Fans are legitimately getting upset that we have not yet signed him. If that is not a sign to PDA how much the Kings fans have embraced this kid and badly want him in Sacramento I dont know what is. I cant think of the last time an undrafted player ever generated more emotion of this nature than even the 1st round draft pick. People were on the fence about Nick Stauskas initially and are 10000% behind Eric Moreland at this point. That should be a story in and of itself! And if he comes to SacTown...I cant wait for the eruption the first time he steps on the court. PLEASE GET HIM TO THE KINGS!!!

I will say, that in the past 5 years, the kings have produced far more successful 2nd round picks than 1st rounders...I would consider him a 2nd rounder for the kings as they didnt have one this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What I find interesting is the anticipation, ferver, and angst being generated by the potential signing of an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE. Fans are legitimately getting upset that we have not yet signed him. If that is not a sign to PDA how much the Kings fans have embraced this kid and badly want him in Sacramento I dont know what is. I cant think of the last time an undrafted player ever generated more emotion of this nature than even the 1st round draft pick. People were on the fence about Nick Stauskas initially and are 10000% behind Eric Moreland at this point. That should be a story in and of itself! And if he comes to SacTown...I cant wait for the eruption the first time he steps on the court. PLEASE GET HIM TO THE KINGS!!!

I will say, that in the past 5 years, the kings have produced far more successful 2nd round picks than 1st rounders...I would consider him a 2nd rounder for the kings as they didnt have one this year.
If there's one thing Kings fans have in abundance, it's passion. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I doubt its us! :(

We have no money to offer him after getting Casspi! :(
Not true. From the CBA FAQ:

MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION -- Teams can offer players minimum salary contracts even if they are over the cap. Contracts can be up to two years in length. For two-year contracts, the second season salary is the minimum salary for that season. The contract may not contain a bonus of any kind. This exception can also be used to acquire minimum salary players via trade. There is no limit to the number of players that can be signed or acquired using this exception.

Last edited:
We can sign him to a rookie deal and Waive/Stretch Terry or trade DWill and Outlaw or even move part of the TE. There are ways to create room for him. Even if it means letting Acy walk, I would do it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I very much doubt we want to be a luxury tax paying lottery team hence why I don't think it's us! I am well aware that we could sign him up but I don't think we will for this very reason! Unless there is some salary dump lined up
I very much doubt if PDA/Vivek is going to be deterred by the possibility of a luxury tax that won't even be assessed until the end of the 2014 season. Moreland isn't going to be getting millions. A minimum player salary is somewhere around $450,000 a year. Even if Vivek had to pay a 100% tax on that amount, it wouldn't amount to more than ... well ... $450,000.

People really need to quit worrying about chump change at this point in time. Revel in the fact the Kings are active this time of year. If they amass some assets they later have to make room for, so be it. It's not our checks being cashed.

Vivek has too much invested to worry about a few hundred thousand here and there, especially for a player that has shown potential in the very area we need to address.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Kings aren't going to pay the luxury tax for a player like Moreland. And unless the Kings made some salary cap clearing moves under the radar it appears Moreland has signed elsewhere.
Dude, the luxury tax is calculated at the end of the season based on the salaries in effect AT THAT TIME. Please see my response above. Vivek Ranadive has already spent about a bazillion dollars. Spending a little bit more now to assess Moreland doesn't really cost him much of anything. No risk, no reward.

Well, judging by who he follows on Twitter, I see no reason to believe it's anyone but the Kings.

He follows Demarcus Cousins, Aykis from str, California sports talk, sactown royalty, and several Kings fans. These are all very recent too. He even follows Jason Jones. Why would he follow a reporter from another team?

If I were a player that's signing with another team, I wouldn't follow all these Kings people not to mention reply/retweet a bunch of their stuff lol.

Just sayin

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, judging by who he follows on Twitter, I see no reason to believe it's anyone but the Kings.

He follows Demarcus Cousins, Aykis from str, California sports talk, sactown royalty, and several Kings fans. These are all very recent too. He even follows Jason Jones. Why would he follow a reporter from another team?

If I were a player that's signing with another team, I wouldn't follow all these Kings people not to mention reply/retweet a bunch of their stuff lol.

Just sayin
Just as important is the fact that Demarcus started following him earlier today. :)

Nobody has said it was Casspi INSTEAD of Acy. In fact, it's being said that acquiring Casspi as a free agent instead of via waivers might allow us to both get Casspi AND keep Acy. Check out the Omri Casspi thread.
I thought signing Casspi and Moreland will prevent them from getting Acy, so does it mean that the Kings can get Acy and Casspi and can also sign Moreland?

I think we will end up with Acy, Casspi, and Moreland. Everyone chill.

This is some serious passion for end of the bench players.

I like Moreland the most of the 3 long term. But he could just as easily never make the roster. We just don't know but I'm hopeful.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we will end up with Acy, Casspi, and Moreland. Everyone chill.

This is some serious passion for end of the bench players.

I like Moreland the most of the 3 long term. But he could just as easily never make the roster. We just don't know but I'm hopeful.
I think it's serious passion because our front office is actually doing something. :)