I'm loving the New Coaching Staff!

From Cowbell Kingdom:

“What I’ve seen so far (of Cauley-Stein), I like. He has tremendous length. He has foot speed … use your length, cover ground, block shots – that’s my vision for him,” Joerger said.

AND:

Assistant coach Elston Turner, who begins his second tenure in Sacramento after working with Rick Adelman, believes scoring will come more neatly to Sacramento, and sees summer league as an opportunity to shift the organization’s focus to that of an aggressor.

“The number one thing is we’re gonna’ pick up the physicality, put our hands on you,” Turner proclaimed. “Teams are gonna’ know we’re on the floor first … If you play that way and you start some type of tradition, the officials usually lean in your direction. They allow you to do a little more than a non-aggressive team.

The main thing is working at it … a lot of our practices are heavily weighted defensively. We’ll do fifty, sixty percent defensive drills. We put it in their minds. Constantly working at it and showing them film.”

Link--> http://cowbellkingdom.com/dave-joerger-talent-wins-out/

Carmichael Dave and Nate were talking this morning about how with the new coaching staff and the additions of Barnes and Afflalo, we could see a kings team that we havent really seen before. They think they are going to be really gritty, lots of attitude.. like a bad boys team.

I've got to admit, I love that picture. I love the fire that this team could potentially come out with each and every game next season.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved this quote:

Kings rookie Isaiah Cousins has caught on quickly to Turner’s aggressive mandate. The 6-foot-5 point guard has been asked to follow opposing guards over every screen in mini-camp and so far he has been up to the challenge
Last year's defense was passive, sagging, and soft. I'm sure they'll also Blue/ICE the pick and roll but I like the mentality of fighting over screens.

Turner is exactly right. Once you gain a reputation as a defensive team, you get away with more. It shouldn't be the case but it is.

And the easiest way for teams to make up a talent gap is to be aggressive defensively. The Kings need more talent to really be a contending team. But getting after it on that end could make them a low seeded playoff team if the chips fall the right way.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Although I completely believe Joerger and Turner are the right guys, we've definitely heard this before several times the last decade or so. Don't tell me, show me.
We heard it with Malone. Hard to say with others but I distinctly recall the puppet coaches such as Corbin trying to roll with pace by mandate. It sure the hell wasn't with Karl, although he did say it, it was lip service as he practiced with a 14 second shot clock or some crap like that.

Head Coach with a defensive reputation - check
Personnel to implement schemes- check
Lead assistant with a defensive reputation- check
Ability to control the paint-check
Roster full of guys with length-check

I'd be shocked if we weren't at least a solid defensive team. The hope is to be real good defensively. We better be because that's the type of guys we are accumulating.

We're gonna be smothering on defense and G1C will be bonkers. Vivek has learned from his mistakes and understands that the arena will fill up to watch WCS swat shots.

What was the most exciting play from the NBA Finals? I would argue it was Lebron's block of that layup where he ran the length of the floor.

What was the second most exciting play from the NBA Finals? When Lebron swatted Curry under the basket and loomed and glared over him.

Vivek has come to his senses... our identity will be this - a smothering hard nosed defense. And he will sell out games forever with that style whether we win 35 games for 55 games playing that way.

I love Joerger and his staff. We've come full circle and now we have a "rich man's Malone" at the helm without an undermining GM. It is going to be fun

We heard it with Malone. Hard to say with others but I distinctly recall the puppet coaches such as Corbin trying to roll with pace by mandate. It sure the hell wasn't with Karl, although he did say it, it was lip service as he practiced with a 14 second shot clock or some crap like that.

Head Coach with a defensive reputation - check
Personnel to implement schemes- check
Lead assistant with a defensive reputation- check
Ability to control the paint-check
Roster full of guys with length-check

I'd be shocked if we weren't at least a solid defensive team. The hope is to be real good defensively. We better be because that's the type of guys we are accumulating.

Don't forget the glory days when we were by far the best defensive team in the league during Elston Turners first go around here in Sac w/ RA.

GOOD LORD am I not going to miss hearing..."Well we went out there and played with good PACE"

"I thought our PACE was good but..."

"These guys need to learn how to play with better PACE, It's the NBA"

"Drilling these young guys how to play with PACE"

"If you can play with PACE, you're gonna win in the NBA"

REJOICE EVERYONE!!!!

The Pace era is over!!!

We're gonna be smothering on defense and G1C will be bonkers. Vivek has learned from his mistakes and understands that the arena will fill up to watch WCS swat shots.

What was the most exciting play from the NBA Finals? I would argue it was Lebron's block of that layup where he ran the length of the floor.

What was the second most exciting play from the NBA Finals? When Lebron swatted Curry under the basket and loomed and glared over him.

Vivek has come to his senses... our identity will be this - a smothering hard nosed defense. And he will sell out games forever with that style whether we win 35 games for 55 games playing that way.

I love Joerger and his staff. We've come full circle and now we have a "rich man's Malone" at the helm without an undermining GM. It is going to be fun
Stop filling me with this weird feeling.... "hope". I'm not familiar with it and it feels funny.

dude12

Hall of Famer
GOOD LORD am I not going to miss hearing..."Well we went out there and played with good PACE"

"I thought our PACE was good but..."

"These guys need to learn how to play with better PACE, It's the NBA"

"Drilling these young guys how to play with PACE"

"If you can play with PACE, you're gonna win in the NBA"

REJOICE EVERYONE!!!!

The Pace era is over!!!
At least we don't have to watch Karl's favorite backcourt of Rondo and Collison and then him stubbornly running it out there again and again and blowing leads. #nomidgetpgbackcourt

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Although I completely believe Joerger and Turner are the right guys, we've definitely heard this before several times the last decade or so. Don't tell me, show me.
"Show me" indeed but did you get the impression defense wasn't going to be serious for real? We are signing the right kind of guys and the right kind of coaches. I can't imagine the team not following the coach's lead. Heck, if ICuz is 6'5" and isn't overly skilled offensively, beating the hell out of people may very well appeal to him. :)

There is truly a new team identity being established and I don't doubt it. It has started with the FO who has matched coaches to players. I choose to be more optimistic. We sure as hell can't out shoot many teams. If most if not all the team buys into this, comparing players one by one will not be the way of predicting which team is the best as an all out defensive minded team (or at least more defensive minded) can make up for individual weakness. Basketball CAN be a team game.

Wasn't Elston Turner's son a basketball stud in Sacto?

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Even Vivek can learn. He was very much a weak point for us as he seemed so convinced his way of playing the game was going to revolutionize the game. I envision that Vlade has helped him swallow his ego which is a testament to both.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I loved this quote:

Last year's defense was passive, sagging, and soft. I'm sure they'll also Blue/ICE the pick and roll but I like the mentality of fighting over screens.

Turner is exactly right. Once you gain a reputation as a defensive team, you get away with more. It shouldn't be the case but it is.

And the easiest way for teams to make up a talent gap is to be aggressive defensively. The Kings need more talent to really be a contending team. But getting after it on that end could make them a low seeded playoff team if the chips fall the right way.
Your second paragraph is an oddity yet true. I have been an official for quite a long time (baseball) and don't really understand how this happens but then baseball isn't basketball, is it?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the advantages a guy like Joerger has is that his experience in all the various minor leagues is that he's used to roster turnover and getting guys up to speed quickly.

It's what helped him last year with a patchwork roster with so many guys flowing through Memphis.

So I not only believe him when he says that he wants an aggressive, defensive team - I think he knows how to get there in small steps and on the fly. So while it will take a couple years before he has the team exactly like he wants it, I think the turnaround this season will be fairly quick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your second paragraph is an oddity yet true. I have been an official for quite a long time (baseball) and don't really understand how this happens but then baseball isn't basketball, is it?
No it isn't. In baseball you have a strike zone that while every ump is a bit different, they are usually pretty consistent in how they call balls and strikes. And other plays are pretty straightforward. Either the guy beat the throw to first or he didn't. Either the tag was made or it wasn't.

In basketball there's a lot of judgement. One guy may body up on his man and get called for a foul and another might get away with it because his reputation is that he's a great defender so that looks more like great defense than a foul. Basketball officiating is just more squishy for lack of a better term. In baseball a ball that is a strike in the 3rd inning should be a strike in the 9th or even the 12th inning. But in basketball guys are often hammered at the end of quarters with no call. Players are generally allowed to be more physical in the playoffs than in the regular season. There's no real reason why that's the case other than it's how it's been done for eons.

But knowing how things work, it's best to use those things to your advantage whenever you can.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No it isn't. In baseball you have a strike zone that while every ump is a bit different, they are usually pretty consistent in how they call balls and strikes. And other plays are pretty straightforward. Either the guy beat the throw to first or he didn't. Either the tag was made or it wasn't.

In basketball there's a lot of judgement. One guy may body up on his man and get called for a foul and another might get away with it because his reputation is that he's a great defender so that looks more like great defense than a foul. Basketball officiating is just more squishy for lack of a better term. In baseball a ball that is a strike in the 3rd inning should be a strike in the 9th or even the 12th inning. But in basketball guys are often hammered at the end of quarters with no call. Players are generally allowed to be more physical in the playoffs than in the regular season. There's no real reason why that's the case other than it's how it's been done for eons.

But knowing how things work, it's best to use those things to your advantage whenever you can.
I'm not sure you are understanding what I wrote or at the very least, I don't understand this. In essence I was saying baseball is different than basketball and, unless my comprehension is failing, it seems like you backed that up.

In basketball there's a lot of judgement. One guy may body up on his man and get called for a foul and another might get away with it because his reputation is that he's a great defender so that looks more like great defense than a foul.
This was most evident to me when we had Bobby Jackson on our team. He would say in an interview "if somebody is going off on me I'll foul the f*** out of them". Everybody knew he pushed the envelope but he got plenty of love from the refs. I saw him almost pull Kobe's pants down on a big possession and no whistle. He would in general slap opponents wrists till they were red and no whistle. Fist full of jersey quite often. No whistles.

Kind of the same with Doug too, but Doug didn't hack and grab quite as much as Bobby Jackson did :)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure you are understanding what I wrote or at the very least, I don't understand this. In essence I was saying baseball is different than basketball and, unless my comprehension is failing, it seems like you backed that up.
Yes, I was agreeing with you. You ended by saying, "but then basketball isn't baseball, is it?" and I was agreeing when I said, "No, it isn't"

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was most evident to me when we had Bobby Jackson on our team. He would say in an interview "if somebody is going off on me I'll foul the f*** out of them". Everybody knew he pushed the envelope but he got plenty of love from the refs. I saw him almost pull Kobe's pants down on a big possession and no whistle. He would in general slap opponents wrists till they were red and no whistle. Fist full of jersey quite often. No whistles.

Kind of the same with Doug too, but Doug didn't hack and grab quite as much as Bobby Jackson did :)
Exactly. And that's the mentality of a good defender. I'll push the boundaries a bit to see how physical they'll let me play. If they are calling the game tight then I can back off, but if they're letting us battle then I'll get very physical with my man. And when you not only have individual players with a defensive reputation but an entire team, you get refs to swallow their whistles more often. Memphis is an example, sure. But also San Antonio and Chicago under Thibs are good recent examples. The Warriors are awfully hand-sy and get away with moving picks on the other end. Reputation plays a part in how your games are officiated.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
One of the advantages a guy like Joerger has is that his experience in all the various minor leagues is that he's used to roster turnover and getting guys up to speed quickly.

It's what helped him last year with a patchwork roster with so many guys flowing through Memphis.

So I not only believe him when he says that he wants an aggressive, defensive team - I think he knows how to get there in small steps and on the fly. So while it will take a couple years before he has the team exactly like he wants it, I think the turnaround this season will be fairly quick.
From your keyboard to Gods monitor! ;)

From Cowbell Kingdom:
“What I’ve seen so far (of Cauley-Stein), I like. He has tremendous length. He has foot speed … use your length, cover ground, block shots – that’s my vision for him,” Joerger said.

AND:

Assistant coach Elston Turner, who begins his second tenure in Sacramento after working with Rick Adelman, believes scoring will come more neatly to Sacramento, and sees summer league as an opportunity to shift the organization’s focus to that of an aggressor.

“The number one thing is we’re gonna’ pick up the physicality, put our hands on you,” Turner proclaimed. “Teams are gonna’ know we’re on the floor first … If you play that way and you start some type of tradition, the officials usually lean in your direction. They allow you to do a little more than a non-aggressive team.

The main thing is working at it … a lot of our practices are heavily weighted defensively. We’ll do fifty, sixty percent defensive drills. We put it in their minds. Constantly working at it and showing them film.”

Link--> http://cowbellkingdom.com/dave-joerger-talent-wins-out/

F*** YEAH. bout damn time! tired of the lets see who can jack up the most shots in a game bullcrap the past few seasons

Carmichael Dave and Nate were talking this morning about how with the new coaching staff and the additions of Barnes and Afflalo, we could see a kings team that we havent really seen before. They think they are going to be really gritty, lots of attitude.. like a bad boys team.

I've got to admit, I love that picture. I love the fire that this team could potentially come out with each and every game next season.
love it. its gonna rub off on the rest of the team. boogie nd WCS getting nasty with players trying to get a easy lay up.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Dig what I'm reading.

Until we fix our awful guard rotation, I don't think we're gonna make too much noise, but if we come out with the grit and defense, we aren't going to be an embarrassment either.

Gonna be a looooong TDOS!