if you knew Tyreke's days with the Kings were over, who would you want to draft ?

Most of the Draft posts that I've seen are assuming that Tyreke will be here, and they are wondering how such and such player would mesh with Tyreke. Let's pretend for a moment that the new front office has no interest whatsoever in Tyreke, and that they aren't going to match some other teams offer. Tyreke is gone.

Knowing that Tyreke is gonzo, who would you want at No.7 ?

For me, it's 1.) McLemore
2.) Burke
3.) Trade Back a few spots

If he were to be gone, I'd take either Oladipo or McLemore (in that order) if they drop, which is highly unlikely but possible (moreso for McLemore). After that, my opinion doesn't change much. I'd go with Burke, Karasev or Adams, most likely. That's all presuming that someone like Noel or Porter don't drop unexpectedly.

Burke, so not much would change. McCollum would look better, and even though I'm not big on MCW, he wouldn't look as bad. It would also make me more interested in trading for another 1st so we could get Franklin.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If you know for sure, Tyreke is gone, Burke is the way to go.
This is probably the right answer. Not sure I want to start the season with an IT/MT backcourt, so Burke is probably the most ready to start, based on who should be left on the board.

Thread on this in the main forum, but looks like Kings are trying to trade up for McLemore:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m
Sacramento has been aggressive in trying to move up from seventh in the draft, league sources tell Y! Likely target: Ben McLemore.
I'd prefer if it were Oladipo, but at least they're being agressive, which is nice for a change. Downside is that it likely spells the end for Tyreke if another team offers him a contract.

If I know Evans is gone, I would go with a player who has the best chance to be a star. There are some players like Noel, Oladipo, and Porter who I don't think have the "it" factor to become a star/2nd option type like Evans is. I think McLemore, Bennett, Burke, and Muhammad all have the potential to be "the guy." The question of will any of those players reach stardom is up for debate. But again, considering we're losing our second "star" (Evans) and knowing how difficult it would be to acquire one in free agency, we would have to take a risky pick and develop the crap out of them. Cousins alone will not be able to get it done. He needs his version of Pippen, Wade, Westbrook, etc. and the only way to realistically make that happen is through the draft.

If we lose Evans, I don't see this team winning a championship unless we end up with an early pick in next years draft. Quality role players are nice, but you need stars to be successful in today's game!

1a. Burke
1b. MCW

If Evans were gone I would probably rate it as even MCW and Burke. If Evans were here I would want Burke more than MCW.

If I know Evans is gone, I would go with a player who has the best chance to be a star. There are some players like Noel, Oladipo, and Porter who I don't think have the "it" factor to become a star/2nd option type like Evans is. I think McLemore, Bennett, Burke, and Muhammad all have the potential to be "the guy." The question of will any of those players reach stardom is up for debate. But again, considering we're losing our second "star" (Evans) and knowing how difficult it would be to acquire one in free agency, we would have to take a risky pick and develop the crap out of them. Cousins alone will not be able to get it done. He needs his version of Pippen, Wade, Westbrook, etc. and the only way to realistically make that happen is through the draft.

If we lose Evans, I don't see this team winning a championship unless we end up with an early pick in next years draft. Quality role players are nice, but you need stars to be successful in today's game!
I know you said "best chance to be a star" but this draft reminds me an awful lot like the draft from a few years back which produced guys like Douby, Hilton Armstrong, and Josh Boone.. I don't think we will have more than one or two potential all-stars in this draft. I'm crossing my fingers that we get one of them.