How much time do you figure the Maloofs are gonna give to Theus?

This season appears, to be a disaster potentially much more worse then last year.. I will give you a honest answer we will be very bad as long as Bibby and Ron are out but we will also be bad when their back. I always try to give out my honest assessments and right now if the Kings are expecting Theus to make these Dark days go away fast their gonna be wrong.

this is why I wanted a proven-veteran NBA coach.

Gary

All-Star
I am sure he won't be fired after this year. Theus was given a ****ty team. I thin Theus has done well with the rotations he has used. I like his style of coaching.

As for Musselman. I hate him just because he is Musselman.

you put any other coach in his position and we will lose by a 3 less points

Tell me what person can deal with our roster?

No frontline.
No point guard.
Played two championship contenders and an up and coming Hornets team.

What did you expect?
How do you know that it will also be bad when Mike and Ron are back?

I like the way Theus coaches and there is no reason to boot him because of our big men cant make layups, cant catch balls, cant defend.
While our "point guards" cant hold on to the ball.

I'm sure he was hired knowing that the team would suck but right now this is one of the worst era of Kings basketball I have seen.

this is gonna get worse before it gets any better :eek:

Theus will not be on a hot seat for some time. The Maloofs and Petrie realize the situation. They said they wanted to build with Reggie. I like Reggie's style and I think he will be a good if not great coach in this league. He just needs the pieces.

I agree he won't be fired any time soon In fact he probably won't ever they have fully committed to Theus but I'm not sure how long its gonna take to change this crappy roster.

No way Theus is fired. He's definitely in Sac for awhile. He's gotten no DUI and won't since he's never been a drinker. He has respect of the team and management something Musselman lost in no time. Before the season started virtually everyone said the Kings would struggle (even before losing Bibby, Artest, Hawes) and maybe win around 35 games or so to just miss the playoffs. Reggie said the goal was to make the playoffs and I'm sure it's still his goal - well, except for getting his first win as an NBA coach. GO REG!! GO KINGS!!

i truly believe theus is a good coach...he just has a god awful team.

just the fact that he has the guys still competing at the end of these games means a lot to me

I'm sure that Theus will make it through the year. Whatever flaws there may be in his coaching are completely drowned out by the noise of roster suckage, and the Maloofs seem to like him. With MS&E still sending paychecks to Muss, I think that's as much job security as an NBA coach could hope for.

He won't get fired this season. You can't expect Theus to do much with Bibby + Artest out. But even when they come back, you can't expect him to magically make Kenny Thomas and Shareef retire, Brad Miller rebound and play defense, Salmons make a three pointer, etc. It's just not fair to make Theus the lame duck here.

Plus, I think Reg is one of the lower paid head coaches at around $1.5 mil per season. Don't Maloof's still owe Muss something like $5 mil and they were paying Adelman $6.9 mil in his last year - and he wanted more:D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They'll at least give him a couple of years, barring some huge upheavel with the team. Everybody, including Theus, knows what the deal is. He's going to eat it for the next couple of years, then hope for something better after...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
How much time do you figure the Maloofs are gonna give to Theus?

I agree he won't be fired any time soon In fact he probably won't ever they have fully committed to Theus but I'm not sure how long its gonna take to change this crappy roster.

this is why I wanted a proven-veteran NBA coach.

We need this roster to change.

OK, so you answered your own question. I think. Why did you start this thread again?

And which is it, coach or players? Because you are talking out of both sides of your mouth again.... :rolleyes:

I think Reggie will be our coach for at least until we turn the corner on our struggles and become somewhat of a contender again...he's not going to be fired this year because of struggles...and I doubt he gets the axe if we struggle next season, too...we're in tear down mode, IMO, even though Geoff keeps dangling MLE's at people, but I do think Bibby will be traded before the deadline this year, and I do think that Ron will be gone before the start of next year, as well. The youth movement has started, and we really cant judge Theus when he has the likes of SAR, K-9, Mikki, and Brad down in the post. In 3 years we will know ALOT more of our direction.

Warhawk said:
OK, so you answered your own question. I think. Why did you start this thread again?

And which is it, coach or players? Because you are talking out of both sides of your mouth again....
Players, I never asked Theus to be fired I like him actually... but not the roster... the question was just hypothetical.

Plus, Reggie just bought a new house in the "Sacramento area" as was reported by Amick. Anybody know where it is? Last time I talked to Reg at the end of August he was looking for a home here. I thought he was interested in bringing up his 2 young boys (around 10ish or so) in a good Sac area with his 18 year old daughter now at Cal Irvine. He's had a home in LA for years and has one in Las Cruces, NM which I think is now up for sale.

The real question for the Maloofs shouldn't be how much time they will give Reggie, but how much more time they should give Petrie. Theus had nothing to do with the garbage that he has to rely on to win games.

The real question for the Maloofs shouldn't be how much time they will give Reggie, but how much more time they should give Petrie. Theus had nothing to do with the garbage that he has to rely on to win games.
It is true that the responsibility for this mess is Geoff's. But I think the Maloofs and GP are on the same level, he is basically running the team as they see fit. Yes they are in rebuilding mode, they have said it themselves here and there. The catch is they still need to sell tix and get a new arena.

If they go for a complete rebuild, it may be more exciting for some of the more enlightened fans, but I do not think that represents that majority of ticket buyers. They need to at least look like they are trying, hence stupid MLE moves etc. I really buy into the theory that GP is trying to keep things as lame as possible without really clearly going belly up.

Oh yeah, Theus will be around at least two full seasons, possibly more.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's Nov. 3. I don't think any of us know what's going to happen at the trade deadline...

And you might want to update your signature. Musselman WAS fired, in case you missed the news.

I really like Reggie, watching him during the games he seems to really be on top of the issues. I think we have to be a little more patient. I may be a Pollyanna but I think things are going to skyrocket once Mike and Ron are back. Yes, we're frusterated but can you imagine how frusterated they are? They want to win, they want to be the top players, they want to do well and be loved and God knows we want to love them. I see a lot of potential in our young players and as silly as you may think me I think this team has a good chance of coming together and surprizing us all. :D

I may be a Pollyanna but I think things are going to skyrocket once Mike and Ron are back.
One interesting by-product of those two being out is various players are getting unexpected starts and extended minutes that otherwise would not. Being tested by fire with Artest and Bibby out could prove invaluable and another reason the Kings can "skyrocket" when those two stars return to action.

Last edited:
I think Theus will be in the job for a long long time. And I'm good with that. He is the one and only bright spot from my point of view as a fan. I'd rather see Geoff go than Theus.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Dumm question to post after only 3 games. This is not even The Team playing now what with 2 starters out and a promising rookie healing. What coach will see is who will be the rotation when Bibbs and Ron Ron come back. Looks like Kings will go small a lot more than planned.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Theus will be here at least until the end of the year (barring, I suppose, an historic 2-20 start or some such), so this kind of thread is pointless. Save the speculation about his job until March or so, when we will have a better feel for things, an when a move could theoretically come within a few months. Still ahve a hard time seeing Theus get canned after all the PR they have invested in him UNLESS a big high profile coach were to pop on the market next summer with us coming off an ugly year. Of course why said high profile coach would want to take on this project is a bit beyond me.

Last edited:
Another question keeps popping up: How much more time do you figure the Maloofs are gonna give the city of Sacramento to get a new arena before they bolt?