How did you become a Kings fan?

This thread has a striking resemblance to the roll call one a bit back. Sacramento is a city I have lived in on/off for the last couple of decades. I support the teams who are in the areas that I have a direct relationship with.

I live an equal distance from Sacramento and the Bay Area in California's Central Valley. Growing up I was a Warriors fan. I graduated from high school in 1975 the year the Warriors won it all. I was a big CWebb fan and thought he was the future of Warriors basketball. When Nellie proved he could not be the wiser more mature person and Traded CWebb I had enough of the W's.

I started watching some Kings basketball now and then. In those days the Kings were on TV all the time and if you liked the NBA, you watched the Kings. Then Petrie became the GM and finally got the Kings out of the salary cap hell Russel had created. When Petrie traded our beloved Mitch for CWebb I was elated and it just got better from there.

KB

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I grew up in St. Louis Missouri. As a kid, I was a Cardinal fan and baseball was my game. If I wasn't watching it, I was playing it. Of course I wanted to be a big league player. I came close, but didn't quite make it. I made some wonderful friends though. By chance one night I met Bob Pettit. A wonderful man besides being a great basketball player. He taught me a lot about basketball, as well as turning my attention from baseball to basketball. So I became a St. Louis Hawks fan, right up until they moved to Atlanta, which broke my heart. I do have a little experience at losing a team.

In 1965 I moved to Sacramento, and shortly thereafter, I became a Warriors fan. The Warriors were a fun team with Rick Barry, Gus Williams, Jeff Mullins, and for a while, Keith Wilkes, prior to him changing his name. I stayed a Warrior fan up until the Kings arrived in town. At that point, I changed horses in midstream, which was a no brainer for me. I saw plenty of games in the warehouse, which was an experience that's hard to explain unless you were there. ARCO became a second home to me. No regrets, just good times!

Living in Germany 16 years ago, I grew up (naturally) as a major soccer fan. Even did the whole soccer team/camp stuff as a kid. Moving to the United States in '97, soccer clearly wasn't as big as it was in Europe, I started to drift away. The first time I ever watched an NBA game, the Kings were playing and I was 12 years old. I won't ever forget the emotions I felt watching them play in 2002. I knew only a bit about basketball at this time, but this particular team played beautifully together and I asked my buddy which team is the one playing like they have played 100 years together... From then on I was a Kings fan. I love shooters and my favorite player instantly was Peja, followed by Webb and Bibby. That team got me into basketball, into playing together, and into what basketball should be. Here I am today, 3,000 miles away from Sacramento, still rooting for the Kings (it hasn't been easy, but one day when they are at the top, it will be worth it)

I became a Kings fans right around the 1998-1999 season. What caught my attention for the Kings was none other than Jason Williams (White Chocolate). I loved his trick bounce passes, fakes and alley- oops. He had flash. It was amazing. After that the team caught fire and the whole nation noticed. The greatest show on court. Before that I was a casual Phoenix Suns fan. My favorite player was Tom Chambers. I also was a fan of your mayor, KJ.

GO KINGS!

I became a kings fan since the mitch Richmond days. We weren't a bad team at the time. Just not playoff worthy. Richmond took the kings to at least one post season appearance against the sonics. It sucked we lost , but I felt great for Mitch Richmond. Even today I'm still a big time kings fan. I love my city and the kings.

In 2000, my company bought box seats. Every now and again, I would get to see a game in the box, which was nice. Then I went to my first Kings playoff game and saw how loud that place got, I was hooked. THEN they got further and further every year, culminating as we know in the Lakers series. Although none of us liked the way it turned out, those games were amazing. The company stopped buying box seats a couple of years later, but I haven't missed a televised game since then. This year, when Vivek bought the team, I bought season tickets.

I grew up watching Kings games and have been a fan ever since I can remember. Its pretty simple how I became a Kings Fan I was born and raised in Sacramento and didn't bandwagon onto any other teams. If you were born and live in Sacramento and are a warriors, Lakers, Clippers, etc. fan(band wagoner) then I have absolutely no respect for you at all whatsoever. Those people put shame to real sports fans, And anybody who stopped being a fan just because the team was doing bad or because of the Maloofs should **** off and never come back. IMO. (Obviously if you are from somewhere else and are a fan of that team but live in Sacramento now that's different)

Originally I was a Rockets fan watching Hakeem the Dream. College came along and my roommate was a kings fan. After hearing tons of the controversies (should have had a ring 2002) and being a fan of the underdog teams, I switched over to the Kings. Tyreke Evans was my first favorite player on the Kings. Sucks that he's gone but new FO and new arena coming WHOOP!

Loved to play basketball. Loved to watch it. Saw some really good teams play. Followed the Warriors on radio including the year they took it all and the championship finals 4 zip. So, at age 55 I was really ready and able for the Kings to move to Sacramento AND I could afford and did get season tickets. And with the grace of god it continues.

Ryan

I like turtles
Anthony Bonner read to my class when I was in Kindergarden. He essentially taught me how to read. I give him all the credit.

In HS I was a huge fan of dressing up as a cow. Fortunately for me, Phill Jackson called Sac a Cow Town. The Kings gave me a platform for my dairy in drag alter ego.

That summer I joined KingsFans.com, but was constantly harassed by the user "Jsin" trying to hook up with my sister. Good thing we banned him.

A few years later I made a video for this really tall power forward. He was drunk at his retirement party and told me he cried when he watched the video. Then we hugged.

Flash forward 2013: Armed with superb reading, costume and video skills, I followed our Mayor around and documented his efforts to save the Kings.

Also, my roommate is from Seattle. Every now and then I accidentally mix our laundry.

The End.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a basketball junkie since I was old enough to dribble. Nominally I'm a Lakers fan, growing up in the Showtime Lakers' heyday. In reality, I'm a fan of the Association. I watch every game of every team that I reasonably can. I lived in Utah during the heyday of the Jazz franchise and all the disappointment that came from that. I have some fond memories of the great series between the Jazz and Kings in the late 90s and still think that Webber and Jason Williams were the most entertaining/frustrating duo I've ever seen on a court. I lived in Los Angeles during the Lakers recent championship runs.

Now I'm in Tennessee watching Memphis put together some excellent seasons.

Now that I think about it, it's almost as if wherever I move, winning basketball follows.

I started commenting on the Kings when they drafted Jimmer, although I had been watching them for a while before then. I am fascinated by rebuild projects in the league. There is a certain magic required to transform a basement team into a contender, more than just luck in the draft. I thought the Kings were getting close in 2011-12 and I'm still interested to see when/if the team can turn things around.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
They were the only game in town? No, seriously, basketball is my favorite sport. I enjoyed playing it when I was younger, although I was better at softball. hehe! Started watching the NBA early on and since there was no local team where I grew up, I started cheering for the Celtics against the Lakers. Have always hated everything about LA. In 1985 when the Kings moved to Sacramento, where I have lived since 1981, I was ecstatic. I became a fan before their plane even touched down here.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I have been a basketball junkie since I was old enough to dribble. Nominally I'm a Lakers fan, growing up in the Showtime Lakers' heyday. In reality, I'm a fan of the Association. I watch every game of every team that I reasonably can. I lived in Utah during the heyday of the Jazz franchise and all the disappointment that came from that. I have some fond memories of the great series between the Jazz and Kings in the late 90s and still think that Webber and Jason Williams were the most entertaining/frustrating duo I've ever seen on a court. I lived in Los Angeles during the Lakers recent championship runs.

Now I'm in Tennessee watching Memphis put together some excellent seasons.

Now that I think about it, it's almost as if wherever I move, winning basketball follows.

I started commenting on the Kings when they drafted Jimmer, although I had been watching them for a while before then. I am fascinated by rebuild projects in the league. There is a certain magic required to transform a basement team into a contender, more than just luck in the draft. I thought the Kings were getting close in 2011-12 and I'm still interested to see when/if the team can turn things around.
Would you consider moving to Sacramento in a couple of years? We could use your luck once we get further into our rebuild.

I was a huge Spurs fan when I started watching basketball. I followed David Robinson all through his Navy career and into the NBA. I remember my older brother taking me to a Kings/Spurs where Dwayne Shintzis(sp.?..no clue) had the game of his life. The Kings won and the crowd was amazing and load. Shortly after I followed Duncan in college and in his first year in the NBA. That's when I saw my second NBA game and forever changed my allegiance. I still have soft spot in my heart for the Spurs but I am a die hard fan of Kings.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I was a huge Spurs fan when I started watching basketball. I followed David Robinson all through his Navy career and into the NBA. I remember my older brother taking me to a Kings/Spurs where Dwayne Shintzis(sp.?..no clue) had the game of his life. The Kings won and the crowd was amazing and load. Shortly after I followed Duncan in college and in his first year in the NBA. That's when I saw my second NBA game and forever changed my allegiance. I still have soft spot in my heart for the Spurs but I am a die hard fan of Kings.
The 1st NBA game I ever attended was a Spurs game when they were still in the ABA. I was stationed at Lackland AFB for Air Force Basic Training and we had about 6 bus loads of trainees go to a game on New Year's eve. What an experience!

Ok, I figure this thread is as good as any for a first post.

Like many kids growing up in the 90's, I idolized Michael Jordan. As I had a natural tendency to be different just because, I began to idolize Mitch Richmond, and ended up with the Kings as my team. Saw my first game live in New York in January 2011, and couldn't believe it when we won. Was shouted at by some angry Knicks fans but was all part of the experience. Saw them live again two weeks later in ARCO against the Bobcats. We lost, Kwame Brown killed us on the boards, but the team made a great comeback. Was sitting 3 rows from the front, was able to see Michael Jordan sitting court side which was amazing. Still have the program from that night.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Seems like this has been asked and answered several times. I lived in Sacramento so there was no mystery I became a Kings fan. I love sports and finally this little town had some major league team. I probably would have become a fan of any big time sport. I went to an introduction ceremony in some downtown auditorium and barely saw anything but the top of Otis Thorpe's head. My grade school aged son was with me and I suspect saw less and wondered what the fuss was about.

I witnessed a team set records for futility but as there never had been any success at anything in this community, it made little difference. Now, it makes a difference. I'd rather be in the "golly, gee, we've got a team" stage than watch what seems to be a replay of the undermanned and under financed early decade or so. After a taste of great fan in the Vlade/CWebb era, I now feel like we deserve more than what we are seeing. I certainly have become more critical as I understand the game at this level a l0t better. It isn't as much fun but I have hopes.