HB IS BACK

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think the best thing about bringing back HB is the stability and the fact that HB opposite Keegan in the front court gives Keegan the clearest path to becoming that 3rd star the Kings need.

If we would had signed Kuzma or Grant, they would had thrown a huge road block to the usage that Keegan would need to become an All-Star, which I think he could become
As underwhelmed as I am with bringing back Harrison "Low (hanging fruit) Usage" Barnes...

This is one good reason. I would have hated to have Murray's development stymied by a Kuz or Grant.

I think Keegan can be a 18ppg player as soon as next season, and HB will be happy kicking back as a 5th option, making that 3rd option money!

Yeah, with other team generally healthy and our two all-stars with broken hands and one with a chest contusion and a shiner brighter than the Beam (playing against the NBA champs with Green pulling all his abusive tricks that didn't generally get called). That probably had nothing to do with it at all, right?

We also were within one last second 3 from likely winning the series, too.

Look, I get it. We all wanted to upgrade where we could to improve (especially) defensively. But this year's FA group isn't that great overall. Barnes is generally solid and if the FO is getting feedback that their prize pursuits may not be available then by all means let's bring back the efficient starter we had last year that was an awesome locker room guy.

We still have what, $15+ mil to work with? And possible trades. FA doesn't even start until tomorrow. Let's see what the FO of the year can do once that starts.
So I think some people are forgetting a major part of all this. They don't have to sign barnes using the available cap space. We have bird rights and can sign him after using whatever cap space they want. But I'm sure they don't want to go into the luxury tax.

Low USG KING

So honestly, I think this speaks a bit to my HB off the bench idea. If you moved him to the bench with Monk, could you up his USG and make him more of a focal point? Could he keep his efficiency?

This is the type of scoring you want next to stars of course. But I think most agree his spot probably needs to be a high level defender.

Thinking through that 2nd unit LU at the start of the 2nd quarter. What if:

Fox
Monk
Kessler? TD?
Lyles
Metu/Len/Holmes

became

Fox
Monk
Brown
HB
Lyles.

Or you flex up HB to the 3, get Vezenkov in at the 4 and you put Davion at the 1. Let's you keep more Fox/Sabonis on the floor at the same time.
yeah this is a very good tweet I'm not mr advanced stats but this is in line with what my eyes tell me is going on.. It should be noted we do have a healthy core engine to our team which puts him in a position to post stats like that.

The Kings have this excellent pace and ballmovement. Barnes is particularly unselfish but thats part of the reason this worked so well because so are the 2 stars he plays with, Fox doesnt really need to go full attack mode til the 4th q. Sabonis averages a completely obscene amount of assists for a big..

The Kings will need to be a unit thats greater than the sum of its parts to advance further, we have that foundation well established, n its gonna be even tougher next season unless Fox is just like the MVP then we'll cruise. Barnes deserves to be getting paid what Huerter is getting paid, these guys arent stars for us, but they are good enough to be on the long list of potential hot hands n its reasonable to think they'll both continue to settle in as this groups chemistry should only improve.

If the Kings had won 58 games? Run that ish back. 48? Eh. Great start, but as start nonetheless. I don't think the chemistry is going to get better,, it's topped as topped can get. The defense as a team, Sasha living up to the hype, Monk making a jump, Keegan rising, those might be the only ways. We will find out tomorrow.
We went from 30 wins to 48 in one season. How about the experience factor? How about the fact we lost to the defending champs? How about our best player hurting his finger and not being able to dribble? How about our second best player looking like rocky balboa out there? How about a team built on shooting not being able to shoot outside of the one guy that’s not a shooter (Fox). 48 wins and the most competitive series in the whole playoffs is an incredible way to break the drought. Calling a team full of 25 year olds running it back is silly to me even if we bring back the exact roster. Having said that I do wish we had more length and athleticism. I really don’t know who that is but I hope Monte addresses it.

Signing HB at $18 is a bargain. There isn't anybody out there that can make the team exceptionally better. Kuzma is not good or better than Barnes statistic wise. Grant is not any better either. By signing Barnes, I think the Kings is betting on Keegan Murray to grow up faster, be stronger and be a force inside with rebounding. Or they're betting on the two rookies in Colby Jones and Slawson to help improve the team's defense. But I still think Kings need size in the middle...someone like Lopez will be perfect coming off the bench OR even start.

So I think some people are forgetting a major part of all this. They don't have to sign barnes using the available cap space. We have bird rights and can sign him after using whatever cap space they want. But I'm sure they don't want to go into the luxury tax.
The 35 mil in cap space is only if we pull his cap hold correct? How much actual space would we have if we sign him using bird?

I think the best thing about bringing back HB is the stability and the fact that HB opposite Keegan in the front court gives Keegan the clearest path to becoming that 3rd star the Kings need.

If we would had signed Kuzma or Grant, they would had thrown a huge road block to the usage that Keegan would need to become an All-Star, which I think he could become
I don't think Grant would have necessarily. Grant had a 22 usg last year and still put up 20 ppg. That's not bad.

Low USG KING

So honestly, I think this speaks a bit to my HB off the bench idea. If you moved him to the bench with Monk, could you up his USG and make him more of a focal point? Could he keep his efficiency?

This is the type of scoring you want next to stars of course. But I think most agree his spot probably needs to be a high level defender.

Fox
Monk
Kessler? TD?
Lyles
Metu/Len/Holmes

became

Fox
Monk
Brown
HB
Lyles.

Or you flex up HB to the 3, get Vezenkov in at the 4 and you put Davion at the 1. Let's you keep more Fox/Sabonis on the floor at the same time.
Awesome, awesome tweet. Basically puts numbers to my sense that he's underrated and has a type of impact that doesn't show up in conventional stats.

We went from 30 wins to 48 in one season. How about the experience factor? How about the fact we lost to the defending champs? How about our best player hurting his finger and not being able to dribble? How about our second best player looking like rocky balboa out there? How about a team built on shooting not being able to shoot outside of the one guy that’s not a shooter (Fox). 48 wins and the most competitive series in the whole playoffs is an incredible way to break the drought. Calling a team full of 25 year olds running it back is silly to me even if we bring back the exact roster. Having said that I do wish we had more length and athleticism. I really don’t know who that is but I hope Monte addresses it.
Those all may be viable excuses but the results are still what they are and Monte has to consider them. His apparent shot at Beal shows he is to an extent. Defending champs that got pounced and bounced in the next round? We need a little perspective there as well. The Kings best player hurting his finger is my whole point. Fox went so far above and beyond from a physical perspective that he shouldn't have to do that again. Him staying healthy all year was a huge factor, if that's his role again it's a question if it happens again. Every year there seems to be teams running it back that stalls. Some of them even made the finals or conference finals. And a team full of 25 year olds? This teams core ain't too far off the team that just won the chip. 27, 27, 25, 24 vs. 26, 25, 24 and 22.

People keep talking about the traded pick when they likely drafted who they wanted anyhow and still have money left to spend.
Again, we find out tomorrow what's up but the idea would be what else could they have gotten for that pick. A salary dump is a salary dump. Salary dumping to bring your own team back isn't necessary from a competitive standpoint.

Don't mind the move itself, but not a fan of the process that led to this.

We could have this move and kept our FRP and Holmes, who could have been a useful trade chip next year. Else, we could have gotten something valuable in return instead of just cap space which we likely will not end up using.

As Capt pointed out, late FRP are a coin toss. Chances of landing are small, and even a useful player is not probable. Plus, it's unlikely that the kid would have contributed in the first couple of years. Teams take that chance though, since the cost is relatively low. In any case, even if we wanted to trade him, we could have gotten something in return. Clearly, the aim was to save costs.

What this does is show us up (Vivek specifically) as a cheap organization, that will focus on saving costs over improving. Cuban by contrast, showed that he is willing to pay to improve the team. While it may not go according to plan, at least he demonstrated that he will spend. We showed that we will give away assets to cut costs.

Those all may be viable excuses but the results are still what they are and Monte has to consider them. His apparent shot at Beal shows he is to an extent. Defending champs that got pounced and bounced in the next round? We need a little perspective there as well. The Kings best player hurting his finger is my whole point. Fox went so far above and beyond from a physical perspective that he shouldn't have to do that again. Him staying healthy all year was a huge factor, if that's his role again it's a question if it happens again. Every year there seems to be teams running it back that stalls. Some of them even made the finals or conference finals. And a team full of 25 year olds? This teams core ain't too far off the team that just won the chip. 27, 27, 25, 24 vs. 26, 25, 24 and 22.
there is no question the Warriors were worn out after our series. I don’t think that happens if they played a different squad than up round one but who knows. As far as the comparison to Denver? They have had years together under the same coach vs one for us. Sure Fox/Barnes have been together for a minute but the starters as a whole have been together just the one year

Low USG KING

Fox
Monk
Kessler? TD?
Lyles
Metu/Len/Holmes

became

Fox
Monk
Brown
HB
Lyles.

LOVE this

Oh wow i didn't realize this

ESPN released a list today of every team's most impactful FA signing since 2010
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37923744/nba-free-agency-every-team-most-impactful-signing-2010

You can disagree with the list, but it's like a horror story. Except for top teams/markets, most of the names are meh, or worse, horrible signings. For us, it lists Darren Collison (2014, 3 years, 16 millions).

Given our requirements, and the FA class, I'm not sure we could have done much better than Barnes. Perhaps, if we were lucky, but the board is divided on other names like Kuzma, Grant, Draymond, etc. So, the move itself is probably okay. Again, the issue is not with resigning Barnes, but selling our FRP and losing the chance to get something of value for Holmes, if we end up making a minor move that could have been made with the MLE too.

There is a talk of an extension for Domas, and probably that makes sense. If we end up doing it, will wonder if losing our FRP and Holmes was worth it.

Not sure why people are against this? The team we have now took us to the playoffs for the first time in a LONG time. Why not keep them together a couple years to see how much we can improve? The team obviously has great chemistry so why ruin it after the first year? HB signing is just fine by me.. The people that want him out are the same people who want to rebuild this current team as if we were still losing. We're not losing anymore, and HB will help us get to the next level. The championship is in the air right now. I think we have a legit shot of winning if we keep our team together.

The only downside is at this point any more additions are just depth. Fox/Davion/Huerter/Monk/Barnes/Keegan/Domas/Lyles/Sasha. If they come back with that you can't really add to it all it does is look good on paper. We saw last year with TD. It doesn't work. Somebody is getting the TD spot where you are in and out of the lineup almost on a daily basis.
That's a solid 9 man rotation. Add Kessler, and there aren't a lot of minutes to go around for any player we might sign (not getting a major piece with the money we have left; could be via a trade though). We are very weak at the 5 spot though. Unless Neemy is ready to step up big time, we will need an added player there. Lyles played well, but is undersized.

The West is actually quite big at that spot. Some of the players at the 5 spot are
Jokic
Gobert
Nurkic
Kessler
Davis
Ayton
Adams
Valanciunas
Wemby

We were really lucky with injuries last year. Can't rely on that again. We need a solid backup at that position, or hope that Neemi is ready.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So we still have some $18 million in cap space remaining? Give or take a couple of million.

I suspect something else drops at the start of FA
This is so weird people are acting like we spent Holmes’s money on Barnes. No, we still have that to throw at a guy like Brown that his team can’t match. And it’s a few million over the MLE so not many other teams in good shape can either.

I’m much happier going after a couple 15 million type guys than spending 30 on Kuzma or an aging Middleton.

if Vivek crowd sourced kingsfans.com what would we collectively have done?

id say:

1 draft Miller at 24
2 draft Max Lewis 38
3 draft Wong at 54 ( no tjd assuming the don’t draft rumors were true)

release cap hold on Barnes
Re-sign Lyles
Sign brown 4 for 64
Sign Sasha for room

Fox Davion
KVon monk
Brown Kessler Lewis
Keegan Sasha Miller
Sabonis Lyles Queta