HB IS BACK

That's completely ridiculous.

The 4/3 flex like Barnes and Keegan is the most valuable position in basketball and even with both of them we have a dearth there.
Thank you.

You can't have enough of this position. It's how you defend in the playoffs and especially if you go get guys who are able to flex down to the 5 like PJW and Grant Williams can. Or like Lyles can.

Barnes could easily have waited til FA opened and see where the chips fell with respect to the Kuzma situation, Houston's giant pile of money, and whether the Pacers would bid on him to reunite him with Ty. Waiting a week and bringing him back at $20 or $22, which he very conceivably could get with the amount of money that needs to be spent our there. I could even see the Spurs throwing money at him as a pro you want in the locker room with young guys. This could have gone very badly for us to have a hole at the SF position and scrambling to fill it with what is a pretty weak market of starting level players at that spot

To do what, come off the bench though? Ain't happening unless Barnes or Keegan end up there instead. Which is possible but if they signed Barnes to that contract to be a bencher then great value just turned into a pumpkin real fast, lol.

It's funny because I actually think Sasha might end up being Montes only hope talent wise to punch up. How much would they pay a Williams or Washington? Lets say 18 per. If they are benchers your value is much better spent on Sasha at whatever the rumored 4-5 million a year were.
Yeah, I think so. Williams at least basically already does that.

And I'm a firm believer in a key 8 man group. I said all through last year we needed the eighth guy, a forward who's better than Lyles and whoever else we had and we could play 25+ minutes.

-Sasha not on the dotted line yet. Can he play? Can he swing to the 3? We don't think so, but maybe it actually works. Penciling him in like he's a problem for someone like Grant Williams or PJW, proven young NBA players that directly address our team needs, is crazy to me.

-Even if Sasha is awesome, who cares? 10 deep. Injuries, people go through cold stretches and allows us to get our main guys to the playoffs in one piece and more well-rested. I don't want Domas 6th in the NBA in minutes again. Or him having to go like 3 months of 38+ MPG because all his back-ups suck.
Hate to tell you, but if Monte doesn't bring in another player that can run the teams offense like Fox and Domas then that's not changing. The staggering continues. The Kings didn't blow out Fox and Domas because of a lack of depth, they got blow out minutes because of a lack of anyone that could be a gamechanger at that 3rd spot in or out of their offense on a nightly basis. As it was Domas kind of disappeared come playoff time and Monk ended up being number 2. Davion couldn't takeover so TD got the call. Monk played because Huerter flatlined.

How did 10 deep look in the playoffs? It didn't. The only reason TD even ended up playing the minutes he did as a 9th man is because Huerter bit the dust and he ended up hitting the bench and mostly staying there some games. TD only played in 4 games. The Nuggets played 7 guys in the final game pretty much. You want a loaded and stocked top 7-8 not a pretty on paper 10,11,12.
I think Brown understands the benefits of bench extension - better energy and protection from injuries for starters....and assuming Vezenkov coming onboard, there will certainly be more extension. They might resign Davis which I mildly hope.....keep it together and see what time together yields experience-wise. They probably can't /don't resign everybody (Metu?).

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm still with you! Though I think Monte will roll with the roster we had last season plus maybe Sasha Vezenkov and Jalen Slawson. Barnes had a bit of a down year by his standards and Keegan should continue to improve so I do think we can expect the team to be better next year even without a big addition. Continuity for the core guys could also lead to improvement on the defensive end. I also think Huerter and Barnes will continue to be available on the trade market for the length of their deals so it's in our best interest to keep them on the floor and give them every opportunity to outperform their contracts.

Yeah, I think so. Williams at least basically already does that.

And I'm a firm believer in a key 8 man group. I said all through last year we needed the eighth guy, a forward who's better than Lyles and whoever else we had and we could play 25+ minutes.
Yeah, but paying that if it's 18 a year is terrible value. For a team like the C's they might have no choice but they are right at the door, the Kings might not be. If Sasha isn't coming it would make it a little easier to swallow, but the most value would come from someone that can play some SG or C even if he doesn't. The Kings have too many straight across F/F wings. Edwards is probably the only 3/2 that might get actual minutes.

I think Dillon and FVV agree to Houston tomorrow by 6:02 and 6:01 pm EST respectively.
Houston could be a lot better than people think next year. They have a crapload of talent that could well step up….

I think they sign a center instead of Brooks.

FVV, Amen Thompson, Tyty Washington
Green, Kevin Porter
Tate, Whitmore, Martin
Smith, Eason, Garuba
Sengun, Brook Lopez????

I think Brown understands the benefits of bench extension - better energy and protection from injuries for starters....and assuming Vezenkov coming onboard, there will certainly be more extension. They might resign Davis which I mildly hope.....keep it together and see what time together yields experience-wise. They probably can't /don't resign everybody (Metu?).
If Sasha comes over and Edwards plays you are 10 deep. 11,12, and 13 should be something you need and preferably young and cheap or old and ring chasey. Jones, Queta/Stephens?, Slawson. That's more right than wrong. Especially when you consider that Slawson is a 5th year senior. He better be ready for NBA minutes at his stage of development.

Good. Underrated as all hell. Perfect #5 option on offense and after hearing the plan for Keegan the front office knows they can’t ride Barnes as a third option. Still have work to do but maximize your top 5 pick instead of burying under a bigger name.
3rd option? They didn't exactly ride HB as the 3rd option LAST year. He took the 6th-most shots/game and was 12th in FGA/36, behind Fox, Monk, Huerter, Sabonis, Murray and Lyles. That is, behind every core rotation member except Davion. He has almost no plays run for him, which Brown acknowledged.

And STILL he essentially tied with Huerter for 3rd-leading scorer (15.2 ppg for Huerter, 15 for HB).

TD is a streaky scorer.
But of he isn't 'on' he provides nothing else.
He is terrible on defense. Lawn chair terrible.

I hope col-slaw can fill in for some of his minutes.

TD is a streaky scorer.
But of he isn't 'on' he provides nothing else.
He is terrible on defense. Lawn chair terrible.

I hope col-slaw can fill in for some of his minutes.
I disagree on defense - he did pretty well with steals, and works pretty hard - he's not stellar, but he's undersized.....not expecting Davis to start ,but make some incremental gains.

I disagree on defense - he did pretty well with steals, and works pretty hard - he's not stellar, but he's undersized.....not expecting Davis to start ,but make some incremental gains.
There were some videos dedicated to his "defense" last year. They were eye-opening for me.

Edit: it took TD for Curry to drop 50.

I think the contract is good, and if we keep HB it gives us room to bring in a backup C. If I read things right since this is a new contract under the NEW CBA he can be part of a trade so I will not be shocked to see a trade either with HB or other guys but I honestly felt at the end of the season I'd like to see the same team given a year.

3rd option? They didn't exactly ride HB as the 3rd option LAST year. He took the 6th-most shots/game and was 12th in FGA/36, behind Fox, Monk, Huerter, Sabonis, Murray and Lyles. That is, behind every core rotation member except Davion. He has almost no plays run for him, which Brown acknowledged.

And STILL he essentially tied with Huerter for 3rd-leading scorer (15.2 ppg for Huerter, 15 for HB).
I brought it up during the season, offensively the Kings shot distribution chart looked all kinds of funky. Waay too friendly. I was like, how is this going to translate to the playoffs? First go around? It didn't.

During the regular season the Kings top of the charts shot attempts per game was Fox at 18.2, then it dipped down into muck, Domas 11.9, Heurter 11.5, Monk 10.3, Murray 9.8, Barnes 9.6. Behind that it was minimal 5 and down.

During the playoffs it adjusted to what you will typically find in the NBA and the Kings weren't totally prepared for it once Fox got hurt, Fox at 23.6, Domas a 14.1, Monk at 13.3, then it mucked up after the Kings solidified their BIG 3, Huerter at 10.3, then everyone else was 8 and down.

The nature of the playoffs will force you to find your standouts whether you want it to or not sometimes. If you are playing 10 deep, you better have darn near all star level depth because if you don't, guys are getting cut.

I think the contract is good, and if we keep HB it gives us room to bring in a backup C. If I read things right since this is a new contract under the NEW CBA he can be part of a trade so I will not be shocked to see a trade either with HB or other guys but I honestly felt at the end of the season I'd like to see the same team given a year.
Exactly - holding the fort from Fox, Sabonis, Monk, Barnes, and incremental gains from other players - Huerter, Edwards Lyles, Mitchell, Davis Metu, Len,....., and Vezenkov providing a secondary spark - I love the simplicity. Bring back Len and give him minutes telling him to foul out on block attempts if need be. Let the rookies push the -10-13 players for spots.

And if they play 8 mpg what does it actually do for you? That's super sub special teams stuff.
we better find someone who can play more than 8 mpg. We got lucky last year and a lot of guys weren’t healthy.

We have some pretty good wing combinations to defend….
Booker/KG
George/Leonard (both contract year)
SGA/Giddey
Thompson or Pod/Wiggins
Ingram/Murphy or Hawkins

we better find someone who can play more than 8 mpg. We got lucky last year and a lot of guys weren’t healthy.

We have some pretty good wing combinations to defend….
Booker/KG
George/Leonard (both contract year)
SGA/Giddey
Thompson or Pod/Wiggins
Ingram/Murphy or Hawkins
The question is will they even if they can? Edwards went from playing as the Kings prepped for the playoffs to out once they started. The Kings offense once the Warriors hounded the DHO went from best of all time to 12th out of 16. Then even with Curry on the other side lighting him up Brown had no choice but push Davion out because Fox wasn't 100% and even when he was still, the tide was turning and the DHO guys were fading.

Exactly - holding the fort from Fox, Sabonis, Monk, Barnes, and incremental gains from other players - Huerter, Edwards Lyles, Mitchell, Davis Metu, Len,....., and Vezenkov providing a secondary spark - I love the simplicity. Bring back Len and give him minutes telling him to foul out on block attempts if need be. Let the rookies push the -10-13 players for spots.
The only issue is whether or not there is an answer to the staggering Brown had to do with Fox and Domas. Once the playoffs started that flew straight out the window as Fox had to put in darn near 40 minutes a night. Who on that roster stops that from happening again? This is the issue facing Monte McNair here in the day or so. If it's run it back, then that becomes a Mike Brown question.

yeah he would be good! Worried we use the cap left on Sabonis but getting Brown would make me eat my words big time.
I think pretty much any of those mid-tier guys left (Brown/PJW/Brooks/Williams for sure. Probably a few others) would make this plan fairly successful in my eyes. Would basically be trading 24 and getting off the dead Holmes money to add a quality core piece to our top 8.

If it's just the extension thing... bleh. Not a total loss because making sure you have Sabonis is still good, but it's way too conservative for my liking. We don't have a top 5 player, Kings have to swing bigger than that to make up the difference.