Has Nik been playing better then Ben lately?

Should we toss him some starter minutes the last few games? I'd love to see what he could do with 30-32 minutes under Coach Karl, it would probably be a huge confidence boost for him too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Should we toss him some starter minutes the last few games? I'd love to see what he could do with 30-32 minutes under Coach Karl, it would probably be a huge confidence boost for him too.
We? I'm perfectly willing to let George Karl make those decisions. Right now, Sauce Castillo is having the best games of his NBA career. Don't rush him or you risk losing all the confidence he's gaining.

We? I'm perfectly willing to let George Karl make those decisions. Right now, Sauce Castillo is having the best games of his NBA career. Don't rush him or you risk losing all the confidence he's gaining.
Thanks for the no crap assessment!

I think we are in a nice situation with 2 young SGs.

Nik has been playing better than Ben as of late no doubt. That's not to say Ben has been terrible, but Nik is outplaying him. I think Nik does a ton of things that aren't really credited for. You can tell right off the bat that Stauskas has a great feel for the game. I think we keep him in this comfortable position right now and not rush him. Don't push him into a huge role just yet.

We're winning with Nik as the backup SG, so I don't think changes need to be done right now.

I think we are in a nice situation with 2 young SGs.

Nik has been playing better than Ben as of late no doubt. That's not to say Ben has been terrible, but Nik is outplaying him. I think Nik does a ton of things that aren't really credited for. You can tell right off the bat that Stauskas has a great feel for the game. I think we keep him in this comfortable position right now and not rush him. Don't push him into a huge role just yet.

We're winning with Nik as the backup SG, so I don't think changes need to be done right now.
I agree, I don't think pushing him into a big roll comes with starter minutes, and as I said it'd be for assessment, this is an extended training camp.

Tonight was the first time I started thinking that Nik maybe catching up to McLemore and passing him. But the way George Karl talks it sounds like he's definitely more comfortable with Ben at this point.

Nik just has a much higher IQ than Ben and his handle off the dribble is much better. Ben is a much better defender though. They are each intruiging prospects, and I feel there is only room for one, unless both make big strides over the summer and can produce on a consistent level. They are both made for Karls style of play though and I feel both will be back unless a PF upgrade deal comes up and one needs to go. I get the feeling Karl and the FO will want a vet at SG, either as a starter or backup. Should be an interesting summer.

I think this will be the toughest assesment that needs to be made, I like both of them, and if they both develop our shooting could be deadly, but you cannot replace a consistent vet that comes to work every night. Next season really is do or die.

There was one play in the Suns game that to me demonstrated Nik's basketball IQ compared to Ben. He was open for a three, rose up and saw Andre Miller open under the rim and threw the ball to him instead. Andre didn't expect the pass though and it led to a TO, but that was a very savvy play that displayed good court awareness.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
That is what summer league is for. If Nick as expected shows well in SL then experiment with the starting line up in preseason. For now bigger min from the bench will be just fine with me. I like Ben but his limitations are becoming apparent. Nick might just well have a higher ceiling but we can give him some time to get there and not crash Ben in the process.

dude12

Hall of Famer
To keep it real, Nik has set the bar so low with his earlier play, which was just complete crap, that now he looks great to some. Now he doesn't look like a wide eyed deer in the headlights guy anymore. Is he better than Ben? He goes up against backups while Ben faces the gauntlet of starting SG's. they are completely different players anyway.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
The advantage of having someone like Stauskas is that, presumably, he could be able to play 3 positions throughout the course of a game. (Not that he could start at 3 positions, mind you.) That potential versatility allows us to not have to make this a Ben vs. Nik thing...although that won't stop some of you.

I've been pretty set on keeping both Nik and Ben, like most of the guys we draft I have a bigger soft spot for them.

But then I got a good look at the 3 and D rankings, and have been thinking about aquiring Green/Middleton more aggressively this offseason.

We could aquire Green in FA or do a sign and trade for Middleton, both are possibilities.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for waiting 2 or 3 years for our guys to develop, our FO on the other hand.. I guess we'll see.

Here's the rest of the 3 and D breakdowns.

Courtesy of reddit,http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/30dqla/calculating_the_best_3_and_d_players_in_the_nba/

Last edited:
Nik is playing better lately. Ben has been playing better this year though still inconsistently. Both good signs. I view Nik as the better bet in the long run because he has a better set of tools despite not being as athletic as Ben. Wish them both well. Both are trade bait with
Ben leading the way there IMO.

But then I got a good look at the 3 and D rankings, and have been thinking about aquiring Green/Middleton more aggressively this offseason.

What.
The.
****!

We had the 7th-best 3-and-D player on the Kings (Jason Terry), but couldn't get him to actually PLAY, and then had to GIVE UP ASSETS to trade him away?!?!?

AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

See, THIS is exactly why I think most of this statistics, and rankings, and win shares is absolutely, completely irrelevant for the Kings.
We have to first become a team that players will WANT to play for, and win with, before ANY of this cap/trades/assets matters at all.
We already HAD a player who would make this team better, and he wouldn't play for this screwed-up organization. Hell, you could argue JJ Hickson did the same, and that he was what we needed, too. We lost precious resources (that has crippled the organization for years in trades, according to Brick) to get him, as well.

Until this FO stops making Sacramento look like NBA Siberia, we are crippled in finding the rare unicorn that actually wants to play here.

its a no brainer to start him over ben right now. there are only a handful of games left might as well throw him in the fire and see what he can do against starter level competition

Am I correct in reading the above charts as calculating rankings based in part off a player's individual defensive rating? If so, they're not that useful-drating is a poor tool to compare players on different teams, no?

its a no brainer to start him over ben right now. there are only a handful of games left might as well throw him in the fire and see what he can do against starter level competition
Naw. I think that would rub Ben the wrong way. The benefit of starting Stauskas is minimal in comparison to the potential annoyance of B-Mac. Just give Sauce more minutes...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Lately....yes he has. Nik is also getting more consistent playing time so that helps his cause. Nik is finally getting that Michigan swagger back and looking comfortable and confident out there which is huge for a shooter. I remain on the start Nik bandwagon but that's unlikely to happen, maybe next season...if he is still here.

It doesn't matter as much as we think it does,
This is the pageant part of the season, and any improvement Nik has had lately is potentially illusory. (It means moire in his case because of ROOKIE).

People are ignoring how he's been getting torched on defense when teams (rarely) isolate him still, so yeah some shots are falling, but I'm not going to get too excited about it, or pencil him in as a reliable back-up SG yet.

It's absolutely not a no brainer. How about we keep both of our young guard's confidence high while going into the offseason? Just a thought...

Last edited: