[Grades] Grades v. Spurs 2/27/2015

Which backcourt duo would give you the best chance to win a title before Karl's 4yr contract ends?

• McLemore/McCallum

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Parker/Bellinelli

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay, well, 2-23 now the last two years without Cuz. But this one offered some hope that might finally start to turn in the future. Someday. Maybe.

Both young backcourt guys showed well, Ray mostly after half, JT and Reggie battled inside, and the Spurs STILL look like they have a fork in their back, but just did the old man strong close thing to pull away from our undertalented and shaky crew in the final 6min. But up until that point it had felt like there was a legitimate chance for us to win this one. The Spurs weren't toying with us, they were struggling again, and our guys, at least our starters, were playing with aggression and spirit.

Anyway, one way or the other, yet another loss. But not an ugly one, and one that was a solid watch until the last few minutes of the game. Good enough at this point I guess. Check back in with the oldsters next week in San Antonio presumably with Cuz.

Boxscore

Stats: 36min 16pts (6-15, 0-0, 4-4) 6reb 4ast 1stl 0blk 8TO
Gay ( C- ) -- ok, so what we had here was Gay getting off to a strong start, and along with JT and Ben pushing us out to the semi-surprising early game lead (only semi-surprising if anybody has caught the drag old Spurs show these last few weeks). But after he went to the bench and was left there for a surprisingly long time, he never got it back. He set a few guys up, but his own offense was quiet as the Spurs slowly creaked back into it. And down the stretch when he tried to reassert himself against a Spurs defense clamping own on precisely the idea of Rudy reasserting himself, it became a real mess of TO after TO that could really have pulled this grade down even lower if it were not for the extenuating circumstances of him having to try to do this all alone against multiple defenders.

Stats: 18min 8pts (4-8, 0-0, 0-0) 5reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Landry ( C ) -- starting him in place of Cuz made sense I thought. Try to get a little extra offense back to replace Boogie's scoring, and the Spurs don't have anybody other than Duncan, who JT took, that scares you along their frontline. Unfortunately in the first half it didn't work like that at all and Carl did absolutely nothing with his early minutes, notching all of 2pts 1reb by half. In the third we finally got more of what I was expecting to see early, as he gave us some scoring and a few opportunistic rebounds. But his night was ended by the Spurs going to their chubbyball lineup with Diaw at PF down the stretch. Only so much grade you get for basically playing 1 good quarter, but it should be toed we won his tow stints out there.

Stats: 33min 12pts (6-10, 0-0, 0-0) 11reb 2stl 0stl 1blk 1TO
Thompson ( B+ ) -- another strong solid game from JT, this time facing down that "All Star" Tim Duncan (seriously, the coaches are as full of crap as fans in their voting), and largely outplaying him. In the early going was even one of a trio of guys (Rudy, Ben) carrying the scoring load as we jumped out ti our good start. But repeatedly used his length to bother Duncan inside, and abruptly since Karl has arrived has ditched the physical weeniness, and is flat sticking his boy on guys on the glass. The old guy got very few against him tonight. The offense however did not last, and after half Duncan began scoring a little bit, albeit not efficiently. Still another nice showing by JT however as he's threatening to be an actual productive player once more.

Stats: 35min 21pts (5-8, 1-2, 10-12) 4reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
McLemore ( A- ) -- really had a rare game where he felt like a legitimate weapon out there for us. Not a kid being spoonfed. Or an outlet guy taking open shots. But on a night when 2 of our normal 3 weapons were out, for at least a half, and maybe more, Ben looked and moved like an aggressive NBA SG who believed he was a weapon. In trying to sort out some of the difference in why this game felt more formidable, I think maybe you don't have to look much further than the 3pt vs. FT stats in this one. Typically Ben is a shooter, he waits outside, takes a large percentage of his shots form beyond the arc, sprinkles in one or two alley oops on the break, and calls it a night. But tonight in the first half in particular he was attacking, not shooting. Getting right into the defense and directly challenging them. And while he might have gotten the benefit of the doubt on one or two calls, he put Danny Green to the bench in a hurry (I would not be surprised if the 12FT he shot were a career high) and never let him be any factor at all. And of course had a major athletic advantage vs. Bellinelli. he was quite good int eh first half even after the Rudy well dried up. Unfortunately the Spurs clamped down after half, Ben began to look more like normal Ben, and Ray...well Ray played much better after half, but he played much better as a mini-SG, he wasn't running plays looking to set guys up. And so by the Spurs ingenuity, our own, and Ben's own natural passivity perhaps reasseritng itself, the aggressive I'm-a-weapon Ben wasn't seen much of late in the game except for a single half luck/half special off balance pop against the clock. Nonetheless, Ben showed something for a good long while here, and led us in scoring on the night.

Stats: 36min 20pts (10-17, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 3ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
McCallum ( B ) -- this was a tale of two halves for Ray, and one with some mixed feelings. In the first half, the one where we were right there with the Spurs, Ray was mostly an afterthought on offense, but was holding Parker down...or given Parker's play this season, at least was not letting Parker get easy ones to snap out of his getting-old-and-lost-my-quickness slump. You didn't really pay attention to Ray out there, but we were in position to win. Sometime around the middle of the 3rd quarter though, with our other offensive weapons on the night winking out one by one, Ray began to step forward...but it was a scorer. I was watching he and Miler run the exact same play, Miller ran it, and looked crosscourt to the corner trying to hit Ben or Casspi. Ray ran it, and looked to the hoop for his own shot. But his own shot started falling, and at a time when we weren't getting much other scoring, Ray became our best offensive weapon. Just a question of...17 shots vs. 3 assist? That's IT. And we as a team only notched 15 assists on the night again. To cap the misgivings, late in this game Parker finally woke up for just long enough to knock us out of the game, and we had no answers for him. So Ray showed something here...but we were more effective as a team when he wasn't showing anything. What's the chicken or egg there would be the question.

Bench

Stats:24min 6pts (3-9, 0-0, 0-0) 4reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Casspi ( C- ) -- well...there was probably effort here. But after the back to back excellent adventures of the first tow Karl games, Omri has now given us back to back 6pt 4reb type games, and this one in particular featured a lot of near random oh what the hell why not forced drives to the hoop into the teeth of the defense. It did not help, and helped throw us out of rhythm as even while the rest of the team had semi-composure, Omri's game felt jittery and panicked

Stats: 21min 3pts (0-3, 0-0, 3-4) 11reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 3TO
Evans ( B- ) -- was both part of bench scoring problems, and the only member of the bench other than Dre to be effective at anything as he notched 11rebs in only 21min (the entire Spurs bench together only got 12reb in 108min combined). Not able to convert any of his shots however, and had ballhandling misadventures a Reggie Evans just should not have out there. Got the details wrong, but as usual brings something to the table to such a degree that he can singlehandedly win you the rebounding battle on many nights.

Stats: 8min 0pts (0-2, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Williams ( INC ) -- we tried him in the first half, he tried to be spectacular, he failed, we didn't try him any longer.

Stats: 17min 10pts (4-7, 0-1, 2-3) 5reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Miller ( A- ) -- while several members of the bench were starting, you know your bench has problems when you trade for a 39yr old PG getting limited minutes and widely thought to be on the verge of retirement, and a few games later he's carrying the bench scoring. And that was the difference tonight. Coach Karl has settled into a consistent bench rotation quickly, and tonight the bench was basically Miller scoring, and Reggie rebounding. Every once in a while Omri would attempt a wild drive. So it was less Miller as floor general, and more Miller saying hey, look, these guys are as old as me and blowing by them. We even got to see maybe the oldest 1 on 1 clash in NBA history since Kareem and Parrish were winding things down when in the first half 39yr old Dre squared up 37yr old Manu and blew by him with all the speed of 5yr old denture gum on the way to the rack. Unfortunately down the stretch that fun stuff dried up, and suddenly we just didn't have enough real weapons to continue scoring with the Spurs.

Stats: 12min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Hollins ( INC ) -- played 12 minutes...and George may be figuring out why he doesn't play those minutes very often. Big highlight, in fact only highlight or production of any kind, was a big block on a falling/flopping Manu which triggered a break and score for us the other way at a time when it still looked like we might win this. Then managed to play another 11 minutes without managing to notch a statistic of any kind other than a TO.

Last edited:
Liked the look of Benʻs jumper tonight. Hope Coach Karl can bottle that crap up and control it, no reason he canʻt be a 18/19 point a night SG.

P

PoundForPound

I give Coach Karl a failing grade tonight. rudy gay had it going in the first quarter knowing he needed to show up, but coach takes him out before the quarter ends and doesn't bring him back in until 6 minutes to go in the half. This threw off Rudys game noticeably as he certainly cooled down.

A hell of an entertaining game. We fought like heck and could have won it. Spurs made the plays at the end to win it. I would like us to extend McCallum's contract. I like him very much.
Agreed. Also it would be a relatively cheap extension because he was a 2nd round pick.

Well, if Malone can be fired for not winning without Cousins, Karl, you're on notice. And at home against a team on a four game losing streak? The horror.

Karl is going to replace most of the crap PDA acquired the last two seasons. Ray, DC, Dwill, casspi, landry, hollins, nik, Evans, maybe even rudy. I bet at least 6 of those guys are not here next year. I'm probably missing a name or two. I think we will see at least 50% roster turnover, maybe higher depending on contracts. The talent outside Cuz is that bad, and horribly ill suited to the style the FO claims to want.

Ray may survive cause he's cheap. But there's a reason for that. Maybe he's worth more than his contract. But not by much.

Nik can't even crack the current guard rotation? Yikes. Not a good sign at all.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

No team stops Ben Mclemore more than us, it's ridiculous how often that kid if frozen out and we never allow him to get into a rhythm like the Hawks do for Kyle Korver or the Blazer do for say Wes (WE DON'T EVEN LOOK FOR HIM). Ben has potential oozing out of him nowadays you can see it, let the kid fire away give him the damn ball honestly I rather him chuck up shots than watch Rudy Gay get annihilated while trying to dribble in traffic. I would love for us to get a pure playmaking PG next year similar to Dre just to play with Cousins/Ben.

I thought Mclemore/JT/Ray/Dre all stood up 2night and won there match up's while the rest of the games just made far to many mistakes and lost there match ups.

JT and Ben have to play with the same aggression they did 2night on offense when Cousins is in the line up it would make us such a better team.

No team stops Ben Mclemore more than us, it's ridiculous how often that kid if frozen out and we never allow him to get into a rhythm like the Hawks do for Kyle Korver or the Blazer do for say Wes (WE DON'T EVEN LOOK FOR HIM). Ben has potential oozing out of him nowadays you can see it, let the kid fire away give him the damn ball honestly I rather him chuck up shots than watch Rudy Gay get annihilated while trying to dribble in traffic. I would love for us to get a pure playmaking PG next year similar to Dre just to play with Cousins/Ben.

I thought Mclemore/JT/Ray/Dre all stood up 2night and won there match up's while the rest of the games just made far to many mistakes and lost there match ups.

JT and Ben have to play with the same aggression they did 2night on offense when Cousins is in the line up it would make us such a better team.
I was a little surprised how long McLemore sat in the 4th, he had 21 points on 8 shots. Think about that, 8 shots.

The Spurs had only 5 turn overs on a poor shooting night. But they made them when it mattered in the 4th quarter.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
where is the "neither" option on that poll above? This game felt like a circus show....you had Williams missing a wide open dunk, you had Casspi on numerous occasions throw up prayers to the basketball gods, you had Reggie Evans taking a jumpshot, you had Ben not take a shot in the second half. The Spurs did not look impressive at all, they made a run when they had to and the Kings were generous enough to hand the ball over repeatedly. This bench is unbearable to watch.

I give Coach Karl a failing grade tonight. rudy gay had it going in the first quarter knowing he needed to show up, but coach takes him out before the quarter ends and doesn't bring him back in until 6 minutes to go in the half. This threw off Rudys game noticeably as he certainly cooled down.
Wow I think comments like that and monday morning QB'ing like that probably helped get Malone fired. We go into this game as a huge dog against the champs who have something to prove and a losing streak - with DMC and Collision out. And somehow we are absolutely IN the game until about the 3 minute mark in the 4th. And we want to pick at the coaches rotations? I have always been a big Rudy guy, but he had an off night. Yes he knocked down some early shots but he looked completely gassed - mistake prone... just looked very tired out there to me.

I thought Karl did a great job of riding Ray's hot hand and Ben's hot hand.

The Kings played their ass off last night.. all of them. Totally got my money's worth. JT got oh so screwed on that blocked shot.. refs did us no favors thats for sure.

When it was 100-92 and the Kings were bringing up the ball with about 3:30 or something ... we were in the game. That was incredible. I'm so excited about the path we're on and I thought coach did a great job trying to spin gold out of straw last night. I can't wait for the game Sunday.

Karl has already instilled some confidence in this team. They played hard, but ran out of gas. That should be concerning, since the Spurs are probably the oldest team in the League. SA kind of stayed in the game until crunch time and poured on the gas. You can see some growth in Ray and Ben in a game like this. I can remember few times when the Kings ran out of time in their offense. They are playing with a new sense of urgency. Considering injuries, it was a good game and something positive.

It is hard to fathom how anyone could fault Coach for the way he ran this game.

Watching some of the Warriors game prior to this one, made it obvious that the Kings have a way to go to be competitive. But they have signs of life. I am a serious Karl fan already. You can see the wheels turning. His expressions after Reggie's terrible pass in transition were priceless. The Kings bench needs more improvement than I thought. Coach Pop is a master at keeping people fresh, even sitting them out of games to rest. The Spurs out lasted a younger team by playing smart. Basketball is not a game of how, but how many.

Karl has already instilled some confidence in this team. They played hard, but ran out of gas. That should be concerning, since the Spurs are probably the oldest team in the League. SA kind of stayed in the game until crunch time and poured on the gas. You can see some growth in Ray and Ben in a game like this. I can remember few times when the Kings ran out of time in their offense. They are playing with a new sense of urgency. Considering injuries, it was a good game and something positive.

It is hard to fathom how anyone could fault Coach for the way he ran this game.

Watching some of the Warriors game prior to this one, made it obvious that the Kings have a way to go to be competitive. But they have signs of life. I am a serious Karl fan already. You can see the wheels turning. His expressions after Reggie's terrible pass in transition were priceless. The Kings bench needs more improvement than I thought. Coach Pop is a master at keeping people fresh, even sitting them out of games to rest. The Spurs out lasted a younger team by playing smart. Basketball is not a game of how, but how many.
I am liking Coach Karl and the effect he has on the Kings also.

Without looking I am going to guess the Spurs bench played more minutes and scored more points than the Kings, by a substantial amount:)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

We he will get his chance to shine or fail on his own merit as the team incorporates Walberg's dribble drive. Much like the old Prinction offense it will make it obvious when guys are open and therefor a lot harder to "freeze guys out"

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jeebus. At least the Kings put up more of a fight than the Suns, who are currently down 69-39 with two minutes left in the third quarter against the very same Spurs (old and on the second night of a back-to-back).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Jeebus. At least the Kings put up more of a fight than the Suns, who are currently down 69-39 with two minutes left in the third quarter against the very same Spurs (old and on the second night of a back-to-back).
Suns started the fourth on a 13-0 run, to get back to within twenty-one... :eek:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Everybody is playing better under Karl just because of the confidence he's instilled in them. It's very noticeable in D-Will, McLemore, Casspi, McCallum, Thompson and Gay. McLemore is having a coming out party. The group tonight had the talent to win the game except for one key deficiency - basketball IQ. Some of these guys aren't going to ever have basketball intelligence; others, under Karl's tutelage will develop it. The former are probably gone by the beginning of next season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's called having a rotation. If you pay attention, he takes Rudy out for a rest at close to the same time very game so far. He has no way of knowing whether the same Gay will show up when he puts him back in. If Gay had come back in and picked up where he left off, you wouldn't be saying anything. The fact is, Gay got off to a good start, and from that point on, was somewhere between bad and terrible. He was a turnover machine in the second half. That's on Gay, not Karl.

P

PoundForPound

It's called having a rotation. If you pay attention, he takes Rudy out for a rest at close to the same time very game so far. He has no way of knowing whether the same Gay will show up when he puts him back in. If Gay had come back in and picked up where he left off, you wouldn't be saying anything. The fact is, Gay got off to a good start, and from that point on, was somewhere between bad and terrible. He was a turnover machine in the second half. That's on Gay, not Karl.
What I'm saying is that when you're as short-handed as the Kings were, you've got to squeeze offense from where you can and ride it. If someone has got the hot hand early, you keep going to them, you allow them to sustain their rhythm. You don't sit the guy for 6+ minutes allowing them to cool off.