[Grades] Grades v. Nuggets 2/19/16

What would iit have taken to make the playoffs?

• Trade for Pau

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Trade for defensive wing

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Fire Karl

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Nothing, we are making the playoffs anyway

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Nothing would have made us make the playoffs

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, in Sam Amick's article, Malone says specifically that it WAS PDA who fired him.
Then I'm confused. One, why did he use the word "owner" and, two, why would the game against the Kings mean anything to him at all if it was PDA's decision fire him? If that's truly the case, there's no one left from the old regime to be angry at except the owner.

I took the comments as confirmation that, while PDA was made to do the dirty work because he had the GM title, it was Vivek's decision -- hence why he specifically said "as an owner you have the right to get rid of people whenever you want."

Pete got rid of Isaiah against the wishes of Malone and common sense. He also undermined his success by disallowing him from hiring the assistant he wanted and hired someone else instead.

There were reports Malone and Pete relationship had devolved and rarely spoke. Pete was also threatened by the close relationship between Boogie and Malone.

He was also insecure in his role as a new GM so much so he allowed Vivek to pick Nik instead of taking leadership and doing his damn job. This decision process was so botched it led to Shareef leaving the organization when Elfrid Payton was not the pick.

Pete played dirty politics out of self-preservation including trying to promote Mullin to a cushy position and create a power structure to assure both of their places in the organization.

I believe this weasel also worked on political campaigns before this job so we should not be surprised. All of this happened before the decision to fire Malone was made...so fans should not forget this!

And how can anyone forget when the team folded under Corbin it was not long after that Vlade was promoted above Pete before the guy abandoned ship.

Vivek lost confidence and faith in his GM and this is because Pete sold Vivek on the idea that the team would no worse (or better off) without Malone at the helm. When the opposite occurred Vivek knew this guys judgement could not be trusted.
No sir the fish always rots at the head.

Nobody is going to change their mind on this. Bruski swears it was PDA/Mully and that Vivek is not as hands-on as he is made out to be. Other guys insist it was Vivek making the call and PDA being a good soldier.

I don't trust PDA, so I'm more inclined to lean with Bruski.

But I found it surprisingly easy to root for us to kick Malone's ass last night. I liked Malone, I thought he would have been a good coach for the long haul. enjoyed his post-game talks, had a nice working class lunch pail mentality.

But... he's the freakin enemy now. I made sure I cheered Karl as loud as I cheered Malone last night. Karl is my guy now not Malone and I don't root for my team to lose to supposedly serve some greater agenda.

I think PDA orchestrated all of it frankly. Vivek was hemmed in, what was he supposed to do, fire PDA and Mully in that spot?

Nobody is going to change their mind on this. Bruski swears it was PDA/Mully and that Vivek is not as hands-on as he is made out to be. Other guys insist it was Vivek making the call and PDA being a good soldier.
True, I just found it interesting that Malone seems to believe it was Vivek. That also explains why Denver probably had little issue hiring PDA after Malone was already on board, as Malone didn't have an issue with him.

i.
But I found it surprisingly easy to root for us to kick Malone's ass last night. I liked Malone, I thought he would have been a good coach for the long haul. enjoyed his post-game talks, had a nice working class lunch pail mentality.

But... he's the freakin enemy now. I made sure I cheered Karl as loud as I cheered Malone last night. Karl is my guy now not Malone and I don't root for my team to lose to supposedly serve some greater agenda.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Pretty crazy that a fan forum has been right in clamoring all year for the types of fundamental changes we saw last night as losses continued to pile up this season(no switches for no reason, slower play, more postups etc.) I wonder how many of those close games we could have won had Karl not been so dam stubborn all year.

I really think the switch everything defense was put in place to take a fast pace into overdrive as guys would have more energy to sprint out, that type of stupid defense might work in community college but will never work in the NBA, simply too much versatile talent.

While all of these changes are nice its simply too little to late. If it took the great HOF coach all year and tons of outside pressure to finally change his ways and adapt to his talent then he is not a coach thats going to get anything significant done.

Pretty crazy that a fan forum has been right in clamoring all year for the types of fundamental changes we saw last night as losses continued to pile up this season(no switches for no reason, slower play, more postups etc.) I wonder how many of those close games we could have won had Karl not been so dam stubborn all year.

I really think the switch everything defense was put in place to take a fast pace into overdrive as guys would have more energy to sprint out, that type of stupid defense might work in community college but will never work in the NBA, simply too much versatile talent.

While all of these changes are nice its simply too little to late. If it took the great HOF coach all year and tons of outside pressure to finally change his ways and adapt to his talent then he is not a coach thats going to get anything significant done.
It works in the NBA, but you have to have the personnel for it. The Warriors do it when they go to their all 6'7 lineup of doom. That's my frustration, why set up schemes that doesn't showcase the strengths of your team. It's crazy.

FYI for the people wondering about Casspi's wisdom teeth situation, he was on the radio this morning (interview from Saturday) and said that he woke up one morning while on vacation and couldn't open his mouth - cut his vacation short to fly back to Sac and had emergency/last-minute surgery the next day.