[Grades] Grades v. Magic 11/3/2016

So how many of Boogie's teammates did NOT disappoint this game?

Votes: 9 25.0%

Votes: 17 47.2%

Votes: 7 19.4%

Votes: 2 5.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surprisingly if Vlade and co. do decide to blow it up there is still a path to at least building a roster of young talent. Trade Cousins and Gay for young players/picks. Finish in the lottery again and get a lotto talent(supposed to be a good draft, especially for PG's). Bogdonovic comes over next year too.

So you'll have
2017 lotto pick
Skal
WCS
Pappagiannis
Malachi
Bogdanovic
Mclemore
Players and picks you get for Cuz and Rudy.

Obviously too early, but if it starts spiraling or again looks like another season of mediocrity you have to think Vlade and co. will pull the trigger considering how open they left it this off season.
Nope, the time to do this was in the off-season. Trade Boogie for a top pick+young players. Draft Chriss at 8. Head into the year with a young core that WE had control over rather than take what you can get now.

This was my worry from when we had an idea of what the rotation would be. Joerger is a great coach, but keeping the status quo with a bunch of over-the-hill vets was never a great solution to start building a winning product here. Grit only gets you so far.

Surprisingly if Vlade and co. do decide to blow it up there is still a path to at least building a roster of young talent. Trade Cousins and Gay for young players/picks. Finish in the lottery again and get a lotto talent(supposed to be a good draft, especially for PG's). Bogdonovic comes over next year too.

So you'll have
2017 lotto pick
Skal
WCS
Pappagiannis
Malachi
Bogdanovic
Mclemore
Players and picks you get for Cuz and Rudy.

Obviously too early, but if it starts spiraling or again looks like another season of mediocrity you have to think Vlade and co. will pull the trigger considering how open they left it this off season.
Yep. This would be the year to do it if things look like crap at the trade deadline. However if we can learn to play with defensive intensity every night I think people will generally be happy. I think most would consider .500 a successful season....that's still 41 losses so we have 37 left

I don't agree with this conclusion, but I totally understand where it's coming from.

The Kings franchise doesn't seem to understand how tenuous the Sacramento region's support of the Kings is.

This post is a perfect example of how quickly the casual Kings fan will abandon the torment it is to be a Kings fan. Most people are just not built to suffer through this painful of experience.

The Kings really don't have the time they think they do to become respectable and something that the average Sacramentan would feel proud of on the court.
Unfortunately, they ran out of time by pissing away the past 2 seasons.
And from the look of things on the court, they've run out of time to keep Demarcus here after this season, because this looks like yet another season of catatastrophic futility and unceasing frustration.
Tell that crap to Cubs fans.

Also, what the hell is up with WCS? A slight concern about his play is quickly growing into a massive problem. Even when he was making mistakes last year, he was doing it in a positive way by flying all over the floor using his athleticism to make plays. Just hasn't been there this year.
Larry Sanders Syndrome?

In terms of the whole team, where did the intesity that we started the season with go? I want a meteoric rise to the top of the league. I want us to zap our opponents with a space lazer before they take their warm-ups off. I dont want us to lose to miami and orlando in non-back-to-back fashion. I say trade em. Trade absolutely everyone except for Labisierre and keep Joerger.

That's not true, unless you are ignoring the 3 rookies drafted this year and another that will come next year from overseas. You can argue if those are blue chips or not, but the organization clearly had short term and long term goals over the offseason.
Seems like the Kings weren't set on trying to go all-in with Cousins.
Spending a combined $16million on Temple/Tolliver helps Cousins how? Drafting Papagiannis, Richardson, Skal helps Cousins how?

No clear direction at all by Vlade. We needed to get Cousins help on offense. We didn't do that. Really felt like the Kings should've gone after someone like Jeremy Lin.

Also, what the hell is up with WCS? A slight concern about his play is quickly growing into a massive problem. Even when he was making mistakes last year, he was doing it in a positive way by flying all over the floor using his athleticism to make plays. Just hasn't been there this year.
He doesn't look like an NBA player. No motor, not showing he's learning anything. Everybody drafted after him in the 2015 lottery is better, and he's the oldest one of them, smh. Terrible draft pick as was Papagiannibust.

That's the thing that scares me about trading Cuz for draft picks...I don't trust these clowns not to draft more busts every year for the next decade.

WCS is the biggest disappointment for me so far. He is completely lost and does not have crucial big man skills. He talked a lot about his work ethics and so on and it does not look like he really cares. Only talk a-la Donte Green. He has unique gifts just like Kirilenko - long, athletic, fast, can guard 4 positions but apparently no bball IQ.

This is why I always go into the season with the worst possible predictions/expectations. As much as it pains me to do so, it pains me a lot less now because I expected losses like this. We have been doing it for 10 years now, why would it change this season?

Cousins is a hell of a player, but maybe for the sake of the franchise we should literally send everyone outta here and start over completely, and yes including Cousins. I know this would set us back yet again, but I just don't see the hope for us to improve significantly as currently constructed. I was excited at the start of the season with our defensive game plan and effort on both sides of the court (the sum is greater than the parts type of thing), but we just keep reverting back to our proven way of losing --- lack of effort/caring. There is no excuse for lack of effort. I said it in seasons past and I'll say it again. I will not waste my time watching a team that doesn't give effort on a nightly basis. I literally could not ask for less. It really should not be as big a problem as it is. Just try.

I don't know what the hell it is, but we just can't the stink of losing out. It's just there, no matter who the coach or GM is or who is surrounding Cousins. We always find a way to screw it up. I am tired of losing the same way for 10 years. I just want a positive change. Why do we always have to go back to the old way?

This is why I always go into the season with the worst possible predictions/expectations. As much as it pains me to do so, it pains me a lot less now because I expected losses like this. We have been doing it for 10 years now, why would it change this season?

Cousins is a hell of a player, but maybe for the sake of the franchise we should literally send everyone outta here and start over completely, and yes including Cousins. I know this would set us back yet again, but I just don't see the hope for us to improve significantly as currently constructed. I was excited at the start of the season with our defensive game plan and effort on both sides of the court, but we just keep reverting back to our proven way of losing --- lack of effort/caring. There is no excuse for lack of effort. I said it in seasons past and I'll say it again. I will not waste my time watching a team that doesn't give effort on a nightly basis. I literally could not ask for less. It really should not be as big a problem as it is. Just try.

I don't know what the hell it is, but we just can't the stink of losing out. It's just there, no matter who the coach or GM is or who is surrounding Cousins. We always find a way to screw it up. I am tired of losing the same way for 10 years. I just want a positive change. Why do we always have to go back to the old way?
I was just thinking that myself. I love Boogie Cousins. This organization has failed him and failed in providing him an adequate supporting staff. Now that there's a bit of stability in the organization, it may be too late to take advantage of Boogie's prime and get him enough help in time. Trade him and Gay away and get a ransom's haul from them (picks and young players). Draft well and hope for some luck. Boogie deserves better, us Kings fans deserve better and basketball fans NEED to see Boogie Cousins in the playoffs.

What a disappointing start.The moment you even have a flicker of hope that things will be better, the team regresses. The defensive effort is certainly better, but there just isn't enough talent. Nobody can score except for Boogie and Rudy and sometimes Ben McLemore. The team still doesn't have a consistent 3 pt threat for the Boogie/Rudy duo to throw the ball out to off double teams. Getting Collison back should help, but this team needs even more help than that.

As for WCS, I'm just as perplexed as everyone else. Scoring and rebounding aside, he at least showed promise as an athletic defender last season. He also got up and down the floor quite well. We've seen none of that this season. Something is up with the guy. His confidence and motor looks worse than Ben McLemore's ever has --- but at least Ben is showing signs of improvement.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
And to think I was arguing prior to the WCS draft that he wasn't going to average more than one rebound every four minutes!:) How wrong I was !:) I think we might have to wait a loooooooong time before we see an average of one rebound every three minutes!

Seriously, he looks like a scrub this year, whereas last year you could at least hope or dream that one day when lollipops drop out of the sky he could be good. Two speculations come to mind. Could the slower pace of the game affect his production? Also, I wonder how about his health. Is he really 100%?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Rondo also made WCS look like the next coming of Tyson Chandler, now he looks like Mikki Moore.
lmao. I said this was a strong possibility before the draft and got crap from basically everyone for it. I'm not going to overreact and call him a bust yet (new coach, new system, new rotation... He's basically starting over again with his NBA development which is a big reason why we can't develop anyone since Adelman was let go) but I'll never understand why so many Kings fans were gung-ho about drafting him to the point of absurdity (ie he's guaranteed to win multiple DPOY awards).

All I can figure is that the vast majority of Kings fans either didn't watch him play in college or they're suffering from the same false delusion that defense is about 90% footspeed and effort. Actually, considering the comments directed at Rondo last year, that sounds about right. From what I've seen, the mental aspect of defense is what really counts at this level. You need physical tools and max effort to push you into elite status but the foundation of being a good defender is made up of anticipation, court awareness, and knowing your opponents tendencies. If you don't have that all the effort in the world amounts to running 100mph in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Next game is a must win for me. It's already a crap start to the season and road trip but you have to assume the loss in Toronto. Can't go 2-6

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Next game is a must win for me. It's already a crap start to the season and road trip but you have to assume the loss in Toronto. Can't go 2-6

But is it though? I mean, a little disappointing, but we're one shaky call in Miami from starting off 3-3. That's with a new team, new coach, missing a key piece, and with a 5 game roadtrip and three sets of back to backs in our first 8 games.

Tonight was obviously not good, something I am sure Joerger has explained at this point. People are acting like its all a disaster, but this is a new team and we're now 6-6 of being in games in the 4th quarter.

I am by no means hitting the panic button. We had/have a very rough schedule to start the season (maybe not so much the teams we play but more the traveling & frequency of games), and there hasn't been one game yet that we have not had an opportunity to win. We need to just keep scrapping, build chemistry, make the system second nature, and look forward to adding another efficient scorer to our rotation (Collison).

It takes a little bit of time for new coaches & new players to come together and play to their potential. May I remind everyone that the 2010-11 Miami Heat (the season after they acquired LeBron & Bosh) started their 58-24 season 9-8? Even a team with 3 stars (one who is one of the greatest to ever play, another who will be a HOF, and another who may be a borderline HOF). People should have a little more patience. Rome wasn't built in a day...

Last edited:
But is it though? I mean, a little disappointing, but we're one shaky call in Miami from starting off 3-3. That's with a new team, new coach, missing a key piece, and with a 5 game roadtrip and three sets of back to backs in our first 8 games.

Tonight was obviously not good, something I am sure Joerger has explained at this point. People are acting like its all a disaster, but this is a new team and we're now 6-6 of being in games in the 4th quarter.
So Brick -
at what point would you find it prudent to be worried about the team's regression and lack of winning?

Given your scrutiny of the schedule, what benchmarks do you have for this season that the Kings should/need to satisfy for you to stay so confident of their ability to make the playoffs?
Or is your goal a .500 record?

2 and 6, with horrible chemistry and no reliable 5-man squad and a deteriorating defense and anemic offense would normally be worrisome -
how late do you think the Kings can go before worrying about them a lot?

I don't agree with this conclusion, but I totally understand where it's coming from.

The Kings franchise doesn't seem to understand how tenuous the Sacramento region's support of the Kings is.

This post is a perfect example of how quickly the casual Kings fan will abandon the torment it is to be a Kings fan. Most people are just not built to suffer through this painful of experience.

The Kings really don't have the time they think they do to become respectable and something that the average Sacramentan would feel proud of on the court.
Unfortunately, they ran out of time by pissing away the past 2 seasons.
And from the look of things on the court, they've run out of time to keep Demarcus here after this season, because this looks like yet another season of catatastrophic futility and unceasing frustration.
After a decade straight of losing, you start to become pretty good at picking out losers. They're already giving up. You can see it on the court. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll turn it around and someone will copy and paste this into their signature and make fun of me for the rest of the season.

K

KingMilz

The sad thing is the west so far looks really awful after the top 4/5 teams I think there could be a number of teams that could make the playoffs below 500. but if that is going to be the case I rather just blow it up.