Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Corbin

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Alright, enough of this nonsense.

1) you can kind of blame me, because I shamed one of the other Consortium members into taking Cuz despite the bad karma they feared they carried, and look what happened

2) we had no Rudy, and after Cuz rolled his ankle in the first quarter, not much of a big guy either. The rest of the roster responded to that situation like chumps. Darren has a #3 been shown repeatedly now to being very VERY dependent on the presence of the #1 and #2.

3) If there was any positive it was that after beginning the game continuing to shoot us out of things, and stretching his fugly shooting freefall to 3 for his last 28 threes, Ben finally woke up after half and maybe, just maybe got out of his slump. Better hope so, because I don;t even know if we'll have Cousins tommorrow, and even with him if he gets as little help as tonight it will not matter.

4) And when I say enough of this nonsense, I mean even if the team won;t even if the franchise won't time, for the Grades to pick up the game. Accordingly I declare Girls.

Boxscore

Stats: 33min 10pts (5-11, 0-1, 0-0) 6reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Williams ( C- ) -- first half work was comically passive and ineffectual. Replacing Rudy Gay, he finally got an o-board and easy little finish over the rim in the mid-2nd, and that was it. Our second leading scorer was replaced by a guy who put up 2pts and 2rebs in 19 minutes while his opponent kept pouring it on. The second half was marginally better. There were a couple of little bursts, the biggest one centered around finally getting a jumpshot to go in the third after almost another Cuz turnover saw the ball bounce off two Heat and into DWill's hands where he put it up before he had time to think himself out of it. That led to a a little burst of energy, although the first result was a quickshot bricked jumper. But there was another good o-board and follow, a little activity in general around the o-glass. Got a backdoor cut and dunk at the 7:45 mark of the 4th for I think his final score. Unfortunately through all of that excitement, Deng just kept on professionally scoring, our pick and roll defense looks confused, DWill was on and off with Deng not infrequently getting around him, or popping free with space, and in general it looked exactly like the matchup of a longtime near All Star level SF and a backup tweener filling in It was one sided and we got none of the fill in burst we needed with Rudy out. --Brick

Carey Lowell -- former Bond girl and Gere girl, aged well too.

Stats: 20min 5pts (2-5, 0-0, 2-3) 3reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Thompson ( D ) -- early on, for perhaps half a quarter, there was briefly hope for one of those defensive games from JT. He had somebody to challenge, played some great active defense on Bosh on a couple of possessions, made one of those out of the blue nice random post moves on right baseline, then an easy jumper from up top as an outlet with all the attention Cuz was drawing. But such hopes faded away more than were dashed. Bosh began to score. JT picked up a couple of loose/questionable fouls, and he sat out the entire second quarter, presumably to try to protect against a third foul, although you never can know what's up with Corbin. And when he returned after half...well he got in one good play stopping Whiteside (not exactly hard before the last two weeks) and then things went downhill fast. He blew a layup, after he had already got away with an uncalled travel on the play, and whatever focus he had had on Bosh was just gone, as Bosh was playing in luxurious practice quality space on jumper after jumper as he lit us up. When he returned late in the game he brought better defensive energy but the game was far far gone by then, and Bosh was on his way to a 30pt night and hitting tough shots even when challenged. In the end the matchup went pretty much exactly how the boxscore portrayed it. Our starting PF gave us 5pts 3reb on anight Cuz was hobbled and we needed much more. Their starting PF gave them 30pts 7reb, and the only reason this grade is not even worse is because we expect so little out of Jason anymore. --Brick

Lauren Cohan -- if that's my girlfriend there are going to be about 7 billion dead zombies if they insist on trying to eat her.

Stats: 39min 17pts (4-12, 0-0, 9-9) 11reb 5ast 1stl 0blk 8TO
Cousins ( D+ ) -- I had been avoiding grading Cousins because anyone I grade is cursed. However, I was bullied and shamed into it by the big Poopa. I hope everyone is happy. Actually the game started out fairly well for Cuz when he drove the left baseline, missed, was mugged, and made both freethrows. He followed that with a little 18 footer off the dribble. He made a nice pass from halfcourt to JT right under the basket, who missed but was fouled. Cuz missed out on another assist when he got tripled and kicked the ball out to McLemore who missed a three. He followed with another beautiful halfcourt bounce pass to a cutting McLemore for a layup. It was at about this point that there was a hint that things were about to take a turn for the worse. Cuz posted up, got doubled and threw up a wild looking shot high off the backboard that missed. He went to the bench at the 2:32 mark of the first quarter and returned at the 9:57 mark of the 2nd. He announced his return with a dunk off a feed from Stauskas. The very next time down the floor he repeated with another dunk, this time from Evans. From that point on most of his scoring for the rest of the half came at the freethrow line, where he went a perfect 8 for 8. After getting another assist on a kick out to McCallum, he ended the half by getting his shot blocked, and then with an airball from 5 feet. I'd really rather not write about the 2nd half, and the 3rd quarter in particular. It was just a series of Cousins turnovers. One after the other. One of the worse was when Cuz grabbed a rebound, dribbled the ball up past the three point line, had it knocked away, recovered it, had it knocked away again, recovered it again, and then tried to dribble through three defenders, who finally stole the ball. I thought for a moment I was watching the Keystone Cops. Yes he had 5 assists, but he also had 8 turnovers. Most of them unforced. By the way, a little advice for Corbin. Don't put Cuz and Evans on the court together if you want Cousins to be effective. Every time Cousins tried to post up with Evans on the floor, Evans moved to the basket, and of course brought his defender with him. That's where the triple came from. Cousins did grab 11 rebounds, and stayed out of foul trouble enabling him to play 39 minutes. He did turn his ankle earlier in the game, and it may have been affecting him. One of his worse games of the year. --Baja

Ariana Grande

Stats: 37min 15pts (6-14, 3-7, 0-1) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
McLemore ( C- ) -- Ben spent most of game guarding Mario Chalmers, chasing him all over the court really but doesn't get his own game going until 2nd half. Gets his 2 TO's with a bad pass leading to Heat fast break then leaves Chalmers wide open for short 3, gives up another steal, misses another corner 3. Ben leads fast break grabs half court feed from Cuz for 2 and gets pass on quick curl thru middle for nice layin, held Chalmers to one 3-ptr in quarter. Heat hit 3 at buzzer (0.5 sec) lead 26-22. Ben still looking for his stroke but defense ok on Chalmers but help defense not too good as he is sucker for good fakes tonight. Into 2nd period Heat playing strictly half court game much better than Kings and getting shots they want with crisp passing and ball movement as Kings (and Ben) not doing good job covering the passing lanes. Ben misses another 3. Chalmers down lane vs Ben for little teardrop as Ben lost him, again. Kings only down 2, Ben is taking fakes from his man way too often leaving them with clear path. Finally, feet set, Ben gets pass from Cuz in corner for first 3, 2:20 Kings down 1, but allow 7-0 run by Heat to finish half down 44-52. Trying to see some good things Ben is doing in first half but other than holding Chalmers in check thats it but thru 2nd half taking fakes and generally out of position to make any stops. At 8 min mark of third quarter Ben gets feed for side 3, until then can't tell what he has done either end, he's there but just not accomplishing much. Leading fast breaks is probably his top asset but not enough of those tonight to help much. Ben replaces Nik at 9:34 mark of 3rd, Kings down 18, Ben gets side feed from Omri and hits very quick 3, later to FT line for 2 and a pull up jumper on baseline for 2, Too little too late. --Cruz

Sabina Altynbekova -- Kazakh volleyballer. A Kazakh volleyballer! See? Don't let it be said that I'm not giving a better effort digging up pretty girls to decorate these losses than the team is giving in producing them.

Stats: 38min 13pts (5-12, 1-4, 2-2) 1reb 6ast 0stl 1blk 2TO
Collison ( D ) -- I know that they like to refer to Cousins, Rudy, and Collison as our big 3, but the reality is that Collison is such a good fit with Cousins and Rudy precisely because he isn’t a ball-dominant player who is going to compete for the ball with Cousins and Rudy. He’s the exact type of player we need to help facilitate the game, play some non-horrible defense, and hit an open corner 3. The problem becomes when he has to carry a much larger load, as he was asked to do in this game. He had to know coming in that he was going to have to take on more responsibility with Rudy’s absence, and by and large he was playing well, and then Cousins had the minor ankle injury, and everything fell apart. Collison isn’t a guy that you rely on to go out and impose his will on a game, and when Cousins got hurt, we were left with literally zero players who had the ability/desire/game-planning to go out and dominate, and expecting Collison to step up and do something about it…well that isn’t why we brought him in, and we can’t really fault him for not being able to do so. So I’m just going to talk about his impact on the floor in this one. He hit his only 3, as well as a lay-up in the final minutes of the game…in complete garbage time. So in 34 minutes of actual playing while the game might have been salvaged he gave us 8 points on 3-10 shooting. And though he had 6 assists, he had zero assists in the 4th quarter, even though he played 10 minutes of it. He spent his time guarding Shabazz Napier, and I know that Grant and Jerry were complaining the entire game about Napier being able to get into the paint whenever he wanted. I’m actually going to quibble a little bit on that one, because Collison did do a pretty good job for most of the night. But you know what? Man, Reggie Evans is atrocious as a defender when put into pick-and-roll defense. I think Napier got into the lane every single time they ran pick-n-roll where Reggie had to defend it. So yeah, Napier was Collison’s guy, but Collison can’t actually teleport through Bosh to keep close to Napier, and the defense they were playing was having Collison go over the screen ao…yeah…Reggie was horrific and one of the primary reasons why the defense broke down over and over again. Anyway, Collison needed to step up, and not only did he not step up, he had himself a poor game to boot. So, a horrible game to watch, and he gets a bad grade for having a bad game. If both Cousins and Rudy are out in the next one….Collison is going to have to majorly step up his game, and frankly I just don’t know if he’s got what it takes to impose his will on another team in the absence of Cousins and Rudy. --Uncia

Bridget Malcolm

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 17min 2pts (1-5, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Casspi ( D ) -- it was good to see Omri back...for a few seconds at least. he entered the game, and you were hoping that he and Reggie might be able to give us a burst of energy to help us overcome....and just no. The nature of his injury is a bit mysterious. Didn't see it happen. Didn't see any evidence of it. Still didn't here. Nothing obviously lingering. But maybe it was just flat rust. The guy out there kinda moved like the active Casspi of the first month, but he didn't get much done. There were a few good defensive sequences, a few bad ones, and a few where he was right there and challenged, and just did not get it done. Once he and Cuz miscommunicated on a pick situation, both left Bosh to go inside, and Omri ended up falling on his butt trying to recover. Luckily Bosh missed the shot. He got into the lane for those little flips and runners, but the only one that fell came on a nice pass on the break from Ray after Omri cut backdoor. And Omri, such an active rebounder in the early season, grabbed a big ole 0 this time out. So...some provision for first game back, there was effort here, but not the same swagger, and certainly not the same effectiveness. This was a game of solid top to bottom Cs and Ds. There were no highlights, nobody looked good. --Brick

Behati Prinsloo

Stats: 24min 4pts (2-5, 0-0, 0-0) 7reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Evans ( D ) -- This will be short and sweet. Reggie played 24 minutes, and did contribute 7 boards and 4 points. That's about it, He got killed by Bosh when he was in the game, but then so did JT, who usually does a decent job on Bosh. It does help if you actually guard him. Reggie also helped make life miserable for Cousins. I have no idea what he was thinking, but every single time that Cousins got the ball in the post, Evans would head for the basket, dragging his defender with him, and thereby creating a crowd big enough for a flash dance. Way to help spread the floor Reg! At one point he thought he was Cousins when he tried throwing a full court pass, which of course ended up being a turnover. There are nights when Evans is a plus, but tonight wasn't one of those nights. --Baja

Elly Tran Ha

Stats: 15min 4pts (2-5, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Stauskas ( D ) -- Nik in at 2:00 mark of 1st quarter for Casspi, plays with Ben, being guarded by Luol Deng. Nik stays in for start of 2nd period and Ray comes in for Ben and gets nice turnaround from 12 ft for 2, Nik gets clean look but shot off, Ben back in again with Nik and Ray, Nik gets 3rd foul and out for Omri. Nik playing much more experienced player like Luol Deng and getting nowhere, still forcing shots but hustling, 0 pts in 8 min. Team spacing not very good, bad half team wise. Nik in for Ben at 4:00 min mark of 3rd wherein Deng drives Nik right off end of court and pops a 12 ft running bank shot, then Nik creates space at top of key for nice jumper. Nik stays in to start 4th, takes horrible jumper w/time on clock, gets replaced by Ben. Just nothing to show again but was overmatched guarding Luol Deng. His rookie defense is ok, not terrible but not good yet. --Cruz

Perdita Weeks

Stats: 15min 11pts (4-5, 3-3, 0-0) 3reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
McCallum ( C+ ) -- Ray didn’t get in till the start of the 2nd quarter and he started off poorly. He took a heavily contested shot which missed right out of the gates, then on the next possession attacked the rim and got stripped, but was lucky to get the ball back and managed to hit a turn-around jumper before time expired. He then settled down a bit, and frankly was fortunately to spend all of his meaningful minutes out on the court with Cousins. So he was able to play off Cousins and let Cousins draw the attention rather than having to run the team. And to be honest, the times it looked as if he was initiating plays…it just didn’t look all that great. By and large Ray was pretty irrelevant in this game, but he does get a slightly above average game for at least hitting his 3 point shots. Now, he hit his 3rd one with only a couple seconds left in the game with no-one defending him, so you can’t really count that one, but he did hit his other two shots, so yeah, that was good to see. He had an offensive foul for a TO when he barreled into defender while attacking the rim in transition. And he took a horribly poor angle in chasing Shabazz which allowed Shabazz to get the ball and knock down a 3pt shot. So there were some bits of ugly in the game, but HEY! He hit all of his outside shots so, that’s a positive. If you haven’t noticed, it’s been pretty tough taking away any sorts of positives from this game, so if you’re looking for a bright side, you’ve got one right here…we had a player who went 3 for 3 from the 3pt line. --Uncia

Olivia Culpo

Stats: 2min 2pts (1-1, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Hollins ( INC ) -- Was amazing in his 2min of garbagetime action, because that's how long it took for Corbin to figure out this wasn't happening and we had a game the next day. --Brick

Keke Palmer

Last edited:
So here is the deal.
When Cousins went out of the game...the offense came to a complete halt.
Darren and that crew had zero chance to do anything on the offensive end.

And the problem....it seems that one of the reasons that Malone was fired was because Corbin got our non-star/dominant-player Summer League team to the championship.
However...at the NBA level, it's clear that Corbin has zero shot at installing something that will be the least bit effective if Cousins and Rudy aren't on the floor.

With no Rudy and either a missing or hobbled Cousins....this team is almost to the point that I can no longer watch.
As a King's fan I have suffered right alongside all the rest of you...and it's hurting me to watch this team in such disarray.

And the biggest problem...I see no light at the end of the tunnel.
Do any of you see things getting better this season?

I don't.

I need to take a break from this team. At least for the season. For the first time in my life I am ashamed to be a Kings fan. I can live with losing seasons and a bad product on the field, but right now I am simply disgusted by this pathetic owner and management that drives me away from the team I have loved my whole life...

Last edited:
Right now the only reason to watch this team is to watch Cousins.

It is so frustrating to have hardly any desire to watch this team play especially when you've got a guy like Cousins out there.
I mean, I had more fun watching the games when we were terrible and I knew we were re-building.

This game was beyond terrible to watch...and frankly, if i wasn't having to grade it I don't think I would have sat all the way through.
I was soooo tempted to fast-forward the last half of the 4th quarter...but responsibilities and all of that...

What is dis-heartening is that with each loss, and each poor performance, it makes me think that a clock is ticking down to the point where Cousins is finally fed up with it all.
And if Cousins gives up on this team I don't know if I'll be able to handle it.
I won't, of course blame Cousins, because frankly he is just wasting his talents here at the moment...and the sickening thing is that the FO basically decided for him that he was going to waste away this season.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
My vote was the whole team. No one did particularly good, everyone forgot to help defend and most shot badly. Cuz had 8 TO's and struggled on offense , JT put the clamps on Bosh holding him to 30 pts and 7 reb, Ben did hold Chalmers to only 7 points in 35 min (increasing his grade somewhat), points off TO's was +9 for heat in a 12 pt game, McCallum did OK as did Ben (between them 6/10 from 3!!) but OK doesn't win games. Rudy and Carl are too integral for this bunch to make up for them. Don't wait up for my grades on SG, not very pretty.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
say bu bye to cuz after his contract is up. vivek is going to hire his nba bestie to install gimmick ball 3.0.
Mod note: Okay, just stop. It's hard enough on everyone right now without this constant refrain. You don't need to post it in every single thread.

Cuz needs to stop handling the ball so much. It's leading to lots of TOs and him out on the perimeter far too much. Give the ball to the PG and get in the post and we'll be far better off.

Mod note: Okay, just stop. It's hard enough on everyone right now without this constant refrain. You don't need to post it in every single thread.
Perhaps that's all he has to offer. Big Cuz 15's posts are not exactly beacons of enlightenment. Heck at this point just capitalizing a single word in any one of his posts would warrant an Adidas "Impossible is Nothing" commercial.

Can someone help me understand a specific play?

With ~10:00 left to go in the 4th quarter, Demarcus had the ball just outside of the paint, was dribbling and backing down his man. Banged into him once, got a bit closer to the basket - banged into him twice, dude flops and gets a charge foul on Cousins.

Now, I've watched that play for decades (hell, Shaq made a career of dislodging defenders and getting closer to the basket) and I am completely confused about what's allowed and what's not anymore.

Last year, I was shocked in the latter half of the season when I often would watch Boogie back down defenders and actually bang them out of the way, dislodging them and getting to the basket by strength. I figured the rules allowed it back then (even though it's rare to see much anymore).

So why is Demarcus rarely allowed to back his man down?
What happens differently during the play when they allow it vs when they call the charge?
It's not a sophisticated or complicated play - DMC just dribbles/backs into the defender to push him back. I know I see larger guards do it all the time against our smaller guards (i.e. every game vs Stauskas earlier in the year).

Bricklayer

Cuz needs to stop handling the ball so much. It's leading to lots of TOs and him out on the perimeter far too much. Give the ball to the PG and get in the post and we'll be far better off.
Halfway between trying to do too much and having to do too much.

Consider this: for much of the night Cuz was out there with a struggling ineffective Collison, Ben McLemore, Derrick Williams, and Reggie Evans/Jason Thompson.

In other words, with Collison doing nothing we had NO ballhandling or creative ability at all out there. Then Cuz rolled his ankle and di not have his normal agility or push inside, and...oooh boy. Collison is not a natural star player, but he simply can't play like that with Rudy out. Ben/DWill is easily the worst handling/creating starting swingman combo in the league, and obviously our natural PFs don't help at all.

Right now the only reason to watch this team is to watch Cousins.

It is so frustrating to have hardly any desire to watch this team play especially when you've got a guy like Cousins out there.
I mean, I had more fun watching the games when we were terrible and I knew we were re-building.

This game was beyond terrible to watch...and frankly, if i wasn't having to grade it I don't think I would have sat all the way through.
I was soooo tempted to fast-forward the last half of the 4th quarter...but responsibilities and all of that...

What is dis-heartening is that with each loss, and each poor performance, it makes me think that a clock is ticking down to the point where Cousins is finally fed up with it all.
And if Cousins gives up on this team I don't know if I'll be able to handle it.
I won't, of course blame Cousins, because frankly he is just wasting his talents here at the moment...and the sickening thing is that the FO basically decided for him that he was going to waste away this season.
If this team drives Cousins out, I'm done. And I hope the team explodes/moves/whatever. I'll still have all my memories with my Grandfather. The team's existence doesn't depend on that. We'll get a soccer team or something.

P

Pace

If this team drives Cousins out, I'm done. And I hope the team explodes/moves/whatever. I'll still have all my memories with my Grandfather. The team's existence doesn't depend on that. We'll get a soccer team or something.
Come on man. We've been in much worst shape with the Malloofs run this place. Why not give the guys that saved this team a chance?