[Grades] Grades v Clippers 11/2/2014

Anyway care to revise their season predictions at this point?

• Nope -- I always thought they'd be a playoff team.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Nope, they're better, but 38-40 is still about their top.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Nope, something will happen, it always does, and we'll still suck.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Yep, I am starting to think its possible.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Yep, in fact how many wins do you think it will take to get homecourt?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yep, but only if we get a third weapon to complete this.

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So, when are we going to see a return of the Consortium? Or will we? Not that I don't appreciate your hard work, Brick, but there's definitely no escaping your biases when it comes to your grades.
Our starting shooting guard is now averaging 3.3pts a game on .214 shooting.

And I haven't given him a single F yet. I think I am being a kind and generous god.

This team has something resembling MJs Bulls in it. Very tough team defensively. Nothing is given for free. Players seem to understand their jobs and focus on it. Most of it is there. It is an excellent rebounding team. If you have forgotten, that wins championships!

If you are worried about some players scoring, don't be. Playing like this will boost the confidence to new levels and that will show in better shooting %. When the players start to feel comfortable on the court, they start to hit the shots. When that time comes around, this team will really be a beast.

Just a minute. I didn't say that we had MJ! I talked about the rest of the team. However, I see resemblance in the compartmentalization of functions and the tough defense. Remember Rodman? He didn't even try to score. He just went out there and grabbed the rebounds.

It's going to take a while until our SGs shoot like Steve Kerr etc., but the defense is great and the scoring is there by Cuz and Gay. Keep in mind that this is a young team that has not played a lot together. If they can keep up with the defense that thay presented tonight, good things will happen.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Casspi has been great thus far. He's kinda like a Matt Barnes for us (forgive me if this comparison has been made already).

Just an irritant for the other team. But an impact irritant. Dude makes his mark in those 14.8 minutes.

I'm just loving the defense we are seeing so far. I think there was too much roster movement last season for it to really settle in...We saw flashes of good defense towards the end of the season..But now, Malone's coaching is really starting to show on the court.

Losing a 5'9 PG helps too. :p

Also....I'm hoping Moreland figures it out sooner rather than later. We add a legit shot blocker to the mix...Good things.

When was the last time we had a winning record? Not including a 1-0 start. The last time I can recall is that season where we had Musselman as our head coach. I think we started off 2-1 also. I remember 1 of the wins being against the Chicago Bulls on the road

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Stats: 39min 14pts (4-12, 0-1, 6-6) 5reb 4ast 0stl 1blk 3TO
Collison ( C+ ) -- numbers were not the equal of last time out, but then again he really had his hands full with his old starter on both ends. But that's the thing -- CP3 clearly slowed Collison and harassed him at times, but Collison competed hard and CP3 was only briefly able to impact this one back the other way. You'll take that tradeoff. Along the way the few hoops he did get were often timely. He was finally the first king other than Boogie to
score when he smartly waited for his offensive rebounders to get under the hoop and then pulled up for one of his little side pops. He stepped up when Cuz left in the final two minutes of the half and scored our next 4pts to keep us close. He seemed to be losing control of Paul defensively in the early 3rd as Paul ran off 11 points in the first half of the quarter to push the Clippers out to a lead. But DC stabilized thereafter, and Paul would never score another point after the 4:27 mark of the 3rd quarter. And then late in the game DC stepped up and hit the dagger shot on another of his little pullups from the right elbow with 53 seconds to go and drained the jumper to put us up 4. He would finish it off with 2 clutch FTs as well. This was not a great game by Collison, but it was a tough competitive one where he gave the game's best PG something to contend with all game long, and in the end got the last laugh. I could be talked into a B- on this one.
Yeah, this is one case where I really think you need to bump it to a B-. DC was a leader out there, directing traffic and doing those intangible things that don't show up in the stat line but can make all the difference in the world to a team desperately wanting to find an identity. He didn't overshadow the stars but he also didn't get in their way. 14/5/4 and a block is a nice night's effort against any team. Against the Clippers I think he definitely earns a bit more credit.

Master of disaster had a nice ring to it for McLemore. Sort of our own inside joke with most of his performance, and our enforcer as well. Or maybe TSA, considering his flight check status..."Mad Mac?"

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, this is one case where I really think you need to bump it to a B-. DC was a leader out there, directing traffic and doing those intangible things that don't show up in the stat line but can make all the difference in the world to a team desperately wanting to find an identity. He didn't overshadow the stars but he also didn't get in their way. 14/5/4 and a block is a nice night's effort against any team. Against the Clippers I think he definitely earns a bit more credit.
on 4-12 shooting with 4ast to 3TO.

but like I say, I can see B- just due to intangibles. He's helping making us win.

One thing is for certain, win or lose, it will be fun season as long as we continue to play with this type of defensive intensity.

We have been awesome defensively in these 3 games. Its a pleasure to watch. I never thought I would say it but our defense is giving us a chance every game.

When was the last time we had a winning record? Not including a 1-0 start. The last time I can recall is that season where we had Musselman as our head coach. I think we started off 2-1 also. I remember 1 of the wins being against the Chicago Bulls on the road
We were 3-1 in 2010 if I remember correctly.

Because nothing helps a team's defensive consistency like starting a 6'9" 3/4 combo guy at the two.
Well... not in all cases, that's for sure.
Try that against the likes of J.J.Barea at the 2, and your Forward's head will spin so fast he wouldn't know what hit him... o_O :confused: :eek:

A few times during the game it felt(some forces, plus very strong reaction to what just happened on the floor), that Collison was too invested emotionally, and wasn't thinking as clear as he can, but in the end he made that jumper, so good for him.

1. Courtney Lee
  2. OJ Mayo
  3. Ben Gordon
  4. Randy Foye
  5. Garrett Temple
  6. Austin Rivers
  7. Eric Gordon
  8. Gerald Henderson
  9. Jared Dudley
I stressed about OJ Mayo when a lot were suggesting K-Mart and he's played GREAT for the Bucks this season.
Shooting guard is really weak in the league right now. Really weak.

Notice how the clippers players and coaches are in the ear of the refs ALL game, and at every stoppage it's their first port of call, desperately trying to persuade the refs to call cheap fouls in their favor.

I don't focus on the coaches much but Doc Rivers has to be the worst for that, every time out, instantly over to the ref to try and wield his influence.

From watching the DMC highlight video it does seem like the Clippers broadcasters were pretty complementary towards Cousins

My favorite part of this is the clippers announcers complaining "that's gotta be a foul on the pick" about the no call when cp3 was laying the court flopping like a fish out of water before cousins finds JT for the dunk. After JT steps over the ridiculous cp3 laying on the court of course.

I can't stand the way the clippers play.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
And I knew one of you would jump in and over-state the whole scenario. We don't disagree on what we've seen. What we will never agree upon is not worth further discussion, but I will say one thing: The PG sets the tone. The tone tonight was Beethoven. That's more than good enough for me.
If it's not worth further discussion, why do you continue to discuss it? Now let's continue to talk about IT for the rest of the season. We can discuss him in the next game, no doubt. And certainly when the Kings play Phoenix. But it's certainly not worth further discussion.

Notice how the clippers players and coaches are in the ear of the refs ALL game, and at every stoppage it's their first port of call, desperately trying to persuade the refs to call cheap fouls in their favor.

I don't focus on the coaches much but Doc Rivers has to be the worst for that, every time out, instantly over to the ref to try and wield his influence.
Jerry's best comment of the year so far, yesterday..."yeah, they seem to get furious a lot" LOL

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Casspi has been great thus far. He's kinda like a Matt Barnes for us (forgive me if this comparison has been made already).

Just an irritant for the other team. But an impact irritant. Dude makes his mark in those 14.8 minutes.

I'm just loving the defense we are seeing so far. I think there was too much roster movement last season for it to really settle in...We saw flashes of good defense towards the end of the season..But now, Malone's coaching is really starting to show on the court.

Losing a 5'9 PG helps too. :p

Also....I'm hoping Moreland figures it out sooner rather than later. We add a legit shot blocker to the mix...Good things.
Hey Stauskas had three blocks! Problem solved.....:rolleyes: