GOSSIP - About owners, FO, coaching staff, scouts and Kings things in general

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I like you, Dave, but -
A year, and that's all you've got?

You are so entrenched, you should really give up your facade of fandom. It's starting to look bad on you.
You know, Dave is an adult and he can defend himself, so I'll leave him to do so if he chooses.

But without making it about Dave, I can't let this post pass unchallenged. This is really a pretty classless post. We have a non-journalist media member who elects to participate on our site from time to time, and you lay into him because you're not happy about the quantity and content of the news that he brings to Kings fans on Twitter and occasionally here? Are you TRYING to chase him off? I expect better from the participants on this forum.

wah wah wah.

Geez, it's my opinion that Dave has toadied up big-time over the last year, despite his protestations on KF's otherwise.

I'm sure Dave isn't concerned about my apparently-devastating and demoralizing opinion - the guy weathers hundreds of outright attacks every day between Twitter, FB and phone calls, I'm sure he can handle little old me being disappointed in him selling out.

I like you, Dave, but -

Every one of those (except Cousins-related), is simple clarification of non-controversial details, almost like a secretary would correct from notes of a meeting.
The non-Cousins stuff is pro-FO, filtering their water.
It's pretty embarrassing you are proud of this body of "work".

You are in an absurdly-privileged position, with deep levels of access, paid to talk 3+ hours a day, and that's what you hang your professional hat on?

What I can't figure out with you is why would your only actual news the past year involve Cousins and exposing the friction and conflict there?
Is it because you:
* want it addressed and fixed, because he is necessary for a successful Kings team?
or
* are like your boy Grant Napear, who wants Cousins gone at all costs because of his personal vendetta with him proven by 5 years of Napear's embarrassing and unprofessional behavior WRT Cousins?

You are so entrenched, you should really give up your facade of fandom. It's starting to look bad on you.

That's pretty brutal.

I do see where you coming from to an extent, but I think Dave can proudly hang his hat on his Playing To Win Tour and everything else he contributed during the grassroots effort. He's one of the most hated men among Seattle fans and that makes him forever OK in my book.

wah wah wah.

Geez, it's my opinion that Dave has toadied up big-time over the last year, despite his protestations on KF's otherwise.

I'm sure Dave isn't concerned about my apparently-devastating and demoralizing opinion - the guy weathers hundreds of outright attacks every day between Twitter, FB and phone calls, I'm sure he can handle little old me being disappointed in him selling out.
Wah,wah,wah.

So it's your opinion that Dave is selling out. That's sort of from left field. I'm sure I am not the only one that doesn't agree. I respect Dave as a fellow poster and much appreciated source of Kings info that we live for. He can probably handle your disapproval but I'm not sure I can.

wah wah wah. Geez, it's my opinion that Dave has toadied up big-time over the last year, despite his protestations on KF's otherwise. I'm sure Dave isn't concerned about my apparently-devastating and demoralizing opinion - the guy weathers hundreds of outright attacks every day between Twitter, FB and phone calls, I'm sure he can handle little old me being disappointed in him selling out.
Wow. I honestly have no idea how to respond to that without completely hijacking the thread.

It's goofy enough laying stuff out once, much less devolving into a pissing match.

Sorry you feel that way. Carry on!

wah wah wah.

Booooo. I only post every once in a while but these comments from you are lame.

As much as I disagree with Dave at times, and I'm pretty sure he's aware of that, the problem really isn't him. He gives us more info than any other Sac area media member. That's the issue, the Sac media in general is asleep at the wheel.

I can also respect he's walking a tight line between being close to the fans, working at KHTK and rubbing shoulders with Kings employees. He is after all the only media member here to lose his job for being too critical of the Kings.

Now that I think of it, outside Amick occasionally, not another Sac media member has really hinted at anything beforehand that turned out to be right. I do believe Dave gets used by his sources at times as PR is a game NBA teams play but his sources appear better than any other media member in Sac.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
wah wah wah.

Rule #1 around here has always been DON'T BE A JERK. You seem to want to ignore that rule.

Dave can defend himself or, as he has shown above, let comments like yours roll right off his back. That doesn't make you right and it certainly isn't in tune with what KF is all about. If you want to continue to attack Dave, I strongly suggest (no, I insist) that you do so via personal messages, which Dave can choose to either respond to or ignore. You are NOT going to hijack a thread with your personal attacks on any member of this forum, and this includes carmichaeldave, who has actually been a member of this board since before the big crash of 2004.

J

jdbraver

I like you, Dave, but -

Every one of those (except Cousins-related), is simple clarification of non-controversial details, almost like a secretary would correct from notes of a meeting.
The non-Cousins stuff is pro-FO, filtering their water.
It's pretty embarrassing you are proud of this body of "work".

You are in an absurdly-privileged position, with deep levels of access, paid to talk 3+ hours a day, and that's what you hang your professional hat on?

What I can't figure out with you is why would your only actual news the past year involve Cousins and exposing the friction and conflict there?
Is it because you:
* want it addressed and fixed, because he is necessary for a successful Kings team?
or
* are like your boy Grant Napear, who wants Cousins gone at all costs because of his personal vendetta with him proven by 5 years of Napear's embarrassing and unprofessional behavior WRT Cousins?

To be fair Dave is pretty hard on the FO at times. Not sure what you are looking for from him. It's not like Vlade checks in w CD b4 he makes a move. Do you want that?

Not a rumor but a question about the coaching staff. Now that the article has been posted naming Iske, Welch, Carter and Lieberman as assistants, where does that leave Corliss Williamson? Any word?

Not a rumor but a question about the coaching staff. Now that the article has been posted naming Iske, Welch, Carter and Lieberman as assistants, where does that leave Corliss Williamson? Any word?
Last I heard he was the only holdover and I know he's been involved all summer.

Yes, Williamson, and Wallberg - are they on the staff or not? Any clues?

Interesting that among six announced assistant coaches Chad Iske has extra title, Associate Head Coach. Assume might be due to Coach Karl having health problem in the past and continuity against possible future medical leave. Hopefully such "insurance" not needed.

Yes, they are.

"Iske, Welch, Carter and Lieberman join Corliss Williamson and Vance Walberg on George Karl’s staff."

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/kings-announce-coaching-staff
Thank you. I missed that. With that number Karl will have to have an executive assistant to manage coaches. During games some of the players will have to sit in the second row or on the floor. Or they could make the court longer to increase the size of the bench. Maybe the 14th and 15th roster guys will have to sit on the second level and have to take an elevator to get to team high fives.

Asked how he sold Rondo on Sacramento after Rondo’s bad experience last season with Dallas coach Rick Carlisle, Karl said: “I just sold him on how I like to let my guys have freedom. I talked to him once before he signed and it’s going to be fun coaching him. I think he wants to lead our team but he also wants to be part of the decision-making, and that can be somewhat combustible but it can also work at a high level because I think we’re all trying to make the team the best.”
This quote sparks my interest because George Karl, in my honest opinion, is the type of head coach that should not allow a player like Rajon Rondo to completely take over the team, and hold the rest of the players hostage if I may. DeMarcus should be the leader, and he should be the one to call others out if they're not contributing. It will be very interesting to see how Rondo gets along with Karl, Cousins, and the rest of the team as the season progresses.

This quote sparks my interest because George Karl, in my honest opinion, is the type of head coach that should not allow a player like Rajon Rondo to completely take over the team, and hold the rest of the players hostage if I may. DeMarcus should be the leader, and he should be the one to call others out if they're not contributing. It will be very interesting to see how Rondo gets along with Karl, Cousins, and the rest of the team as the season progresses.
I think he is mainly talking about how each play is not micro managed during the game like ....you know how Rick Carlisle coaches. He already indicated as much that Cuz is the leader of the team and how he has to manage Rondo on the team decision making process because of his BBIQ.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Regarding Rondo and having read up on him this Summer, his longtime teammate, Kevin Garnett called Rondo a big time alpha male. This on a team that had major alpha males KG and Paul Pierce. KG said that you need to just let Rondo do his thing as you can't squash the type of player/personality he is. And it is possible to have multiple alpha males on the team if they are all on the same page....which is namely winning. There's going to be moments during this year where things get heated but I trust that these guys can hold it together. And this team does have some alpha males in Cuz, Rondo and Caron Butler.

I choose not to let the Dallas Rondo experience define him as a player....that was a bad fit. I believe he's going to be closer to the Boston Rondo who was an elite PG.

nothing wrong with being an Alpha, as long as he is able to take direction and take on board coaching/advice and work in a collective dynamic then all is fine.

also understanding that this is demarcus's team and the best way to the top is to obviously feed the beast that is boogie on offense and keep him happy overall.

dont be a sour grape rondo or this will be your last payday.

kings fans around the world are so excited by this season. I envision a race out of the blocks if training camp is incident free

By definition, there can only be one alpha male on a team. In the comment above, KG admitted as much, and it was Rondo on that team. Some guys just can't take a back seat and therein lies the danger of how you construct your team. However, Cuz has been here for years and is on a long term contract. Rondo is on a one year contract hoping to play well enough to get a big deal next year. I think that leaves Cuz as the alpha male, if for nothing else, his position is more secure. Doesn't mean Rondo or Butler won't be strong willed or have a lot of input. It's just that when push comes to shove, it's Cuz's show.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't think Rondo's an alpha, not really.

Here's the thing, its the same reason I got Boogie from the beginning. Same thing I think goes on with Rondo:

An alpha, by definition, needs to dominate. Seeks to dominate. To be top dog. To lead and others follow. Two alphas together butt heads because there can only be one leader.

A beta on the other hand is willing to follow, may almost be relieved when an alpha is around to take on those duties.

And then there is us. And by that I mean people like me, people like Boogie and quite possibly from the description people like Rondo. Call us gammas. And what sets us gammas apart is this: we absolutely ferociously will take no crap from anyone. We respect nobody as our superiors, will follow nobody at all unless they beg us on bended knee. We are ornery and hard to deal with. We clash with alphas almost as hard as alphas clash with alphas, because alphas seek to impose their will, and we refuse to be imposed upon. But the difference between a gamma and an alpha is that we don't have the alphas drive to dominate others. We aren't glory hounds. We refuse to be dominated, but we don't need to dominate in return. And hence as long as people leave us alone, we're much easier to get along with than alphas. You stay in your lane, and we've got no problem with you.

That has always been my read on Boogie. Something I understood well. Kobe is an alpha. Boogie is a gamma. Westphal and his team made the mistake of trying to teach Boogie a lesson. Gammas don't take that well. We have problems with authority. We demand respect. Smart was just a weak leader. Malone got the formula right. He was a friend, an ally. He showed Boogie respect, said let's do this together. That's how you reach a gamma. And that is what I think Rondo may be. These stories of his wild spitting resistance to alpha types telling him what to do...but what I have never heard stories of him going around seeking to tell other guys what to do. Of me me meing. I think Rondo is a gamma. he wants to be left alone to do his thing, which like all gammas he absolutely fundamnetally believes is the right thing. But he's got no need to impose his will on anybody else. He's just not going to let you impose yours on him. And the good news is two gammas can work together. Neither one feels the need to try to boss the other around, they should in fact have some understanding of what it means to be surly and independent. I don't forsee Boogie and Rondo clashing, because why would they? I guess only if one of them saw the other as undermining the team's success, otherwise, no. But the trick is George Karl. He's more alpha than anything else, and is he going to have the brains to swallow his alpha pride with those two? Because you can approach a gamma, you can earn their loyalty. But you have to do it as an equal. I have no idea at all if George can suck down his pride enough to sidle up to them like that, or at least to back off and just let them be their own men.