GOSSIP - About owners, FO, coaching staff, scouts and Kings things in general

Beneath contempt? gee whiz. I reserve that for terrorists usually.

I don't see cuz going anywhere barring lebron or Steph being offered to us... So yeah. It ain't happening.

This story will be real news toward the end of his contract. A Kevin love scenario is coming unless this team is playoff bound within 2 years.

I thought this thread might be fun. Then it turned into yet another discussion of the "possibility" of trading DMC?

Sigh...
Please don't deep six it quite yet. I'm still looking for sightings and small events that are intriguing. Like - Horace Villa's aunt does nails in Roseville and the other day while she was doing Vlade's nails he was talking on the phone with somebody from south Texas and seemed pleased. When he was done, he tipped her, went out the front door and got into a big black vehicle driven by a 6-11 black man with a headband and ..... Then another customer sat down and she missed the rest. Any other witnesses?

That is fiction but come you local folks, keep a sharp eye out and report your findings.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Can we please get back to talking about rumors that make sense and could help the team into the playoffs next year? :rolleyes:
For example, what team would trade a consistent 3-pt shooter for DWill? What shooter/scorer/3pter FA's make sense?

Recent speculation is that Karl is set on developing a replacement for himself, so 2-3 of his assistants would be here in part as potential successors. (according to James Ham)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Can we please get back to talking about rumors that make sense and could help the team into the playoffs next year? :rolleyes:
For example, what team would trade a consistent 3-pt shooter for DWill? What shooter/scorer/3pter FA's make sense?
Unfortunately, or actually fortunately, we can't trade D. Will since he's a freeagent, and probably will be an unrestricted freeagent in the near future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Those aren't rumors. Those are the same kind of trade/player threads we always have. We created the Personnel Moves forum for those kinds of things. :)

Kings.com contact us section show Basketball Operations Team as follows: (from left to right - by implication left is top):

Divak, D'Alessandro, Bratz, Richmond, Oliver, and Gilbert

under them comes Karl by himself with coaching staff listed under that.

Interesting that the first bunch of six a shown in side by side boxes just as tha top six are on the business side. Tends to diminish hierarchy. Those six guys plus Karl is the team the organization is depending on to cause the team to improve and, as a first step at least to become competitive ( which I interpret to mean win as many as you lose). That's a big jump from 29 to 41. They do not have an easy task. Faint-hearted moves won't do it. With good health, a smidgen of improved play and a little luck the present team could make it half way to a .500 season. So I would think they have already developed the outline or framework of a plan of what key things they want to accomplish between now and the beginning of training camp.

Unfortunately for us fans, we won't hear of any of this and will have to wait for it to happen step-by-step. The draft, signing or not signing our existing players, signing FA's new to team, trading some of ours (?) for some of theirs (?), etc. this will be a real test of this new team of execs.

In others words - no news.

Recent speculation is that Karl is set on developing a replacement for himself, so 2-3 of his assistants would be here in part as potential successors. (according to James Ham)
I'm fine with that provided Karl accomplishes something. Would be a smooth transition in theory, and may be able to get some decent suitors familiar with the team.

http://www.news10.net/sports/sacramento-kings/
3 most recent clips are of some interest:
apparently Vivek knows by now, that Kings had one of the best starting lineups in the league this season
according to JT at the start of Karl's tenure they just push the ball as much as they can, but in the last 15 games Karl started putting plays in, and tempo started slowing down; also Malone is about defense, but so is George Karl
Ray will not play in summer league, still hasn't been contacted by coaching staff, though Karl talked about 3-4 weeks rest, and it's only 3 weeks. Still if I had to bet Ray is probably not on the roster next season.

gunks

Hall of Famer
http://www.news10.net/sports/sacramento-kings/
3 most recent clips are of some interest:
apparently Vivek knows by now, that Kings had one of the best starting lineups in the league this season
according to JT at the start of Karl's tenure they just push the ball as much as they can, but in the last 15 games Karl started putting plays in, and tempo started slowing down; also Malone is about defense, but so is George Karl
Ray will not play in summer league, still hasn't been contacted by coaching staff, though Karl talked about 3-4 weeks rest, and it's only 3 weeks. Still if I had to bet Ray is probably not on the roster next season.
I love the bit about the defense and evolution of our offense under Karl. Goes along with what we saw on the court. Our defense was nowhere near what we had early on under Malone, but it did improve from the Corbin era garbage as time went on.

I have the feeling that our offense will be worlds better than what we had with Malone. As long as our defense gets to respectable levels, we should start winning next year.

Assuming we fix our roster up and don't mess up yet another draft.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please note: Discussion of Ty Lawson has been moved to a separate thread in the Personnel Moves forum.

Voison's column today on her interview with Ranadive was a good one. He confirmed the basketball operation hierarchy. Vlade is running the show. Vlade said we are together and are going to move fast. Nothing new n this but it is nice to hear it repeated and emphasized. By "fast" I did not read "soon" but rather a not hanging back attitude. Like some unstated things ARE going to happen. Encouraging. I wish them luck.

Voison's column today on her interview with Ranadive was a good one. He confirmed the basketball operation hierarchy. Vlade is running the show. Vlade said we are together and are going to move fast. Nothing new n this but it is nice to hear it repeated and emphasized. By "fast" I did not read "soon" but rather a not hanging back attitude. Like some unstated things ARE going to happen. Encouraging. I wish them luck.
Agreed. I went ahead posted it as seemed the interview needed to be read and discussed.

Karl was on the Dan Le Batard show the other day:

https://soundcloud.com/sacramentokings/coach-karl-on-dan-le-batard-show

One interesting note:

'The one thing the playoffs are saying now, is that defense is winning(...) the defensive mentality of teams are very important. Offense sells tickets, but defense wins you championships.'

If defense is so important, how come we didn't see a lot of it after Karl took over?

Also, he talked about play-calling, which was quite interesting.

One interesting note:

'The one thing the playoffs are saying now, is that defense is winning(...) the defensive mentality of teams are very important. Offense sells tickets, but defense wins you championships.'

If defense is so important, how come we didn't see a lot of it after Karl took over?

Team was tanking. And it was very calculated: with certain people missing games or given a lot of minutes at some games, and often specific instructions on how to defend some players like go over the screen on Payton, even though he needs at least 3 steps towards the basket to be a threat, or go under the screen on some shooters without driving game. When you need to start laying foundation of new offensive style, but don't want to win yet giving demanding defensive instructions can improve chances of the other team winning. Of course, offense alone was enough to sink Kings at times. At the games they were trying to win, Kings played very good defense. They can play defense, defensive system is mostly in place, since Karl used Malone's, training camp will be enough to put it back into players' minds, even if with some tweaks.

Wasn't sure where to put these, but I guess Kings gossip might be an appropriate place.

A couple of jerseys were released today: Christmas Day and Hardwood Classics. We won't be seeing a Christmas day game for a while so we wont see these jerseys, but nice to see the powder blues make a come back!

http://www.uni-watch.com/

One interesting note:

Another interesting little point which might have gone under the radar the bit is his reference to needing a great PG with mental toughness. That might be a bit of a give away as to what we might be looking for during the off-season.

While I don't consider Lawson as a great PG, I would not be surprised in the slightest that we trade for him

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Another interesting little point which might have gone under the radar the bit is his reference to needing a great PG with mental toughness. That might be a bit of a give away as to what we might be looking for during the off-season.

While I don't consider Lawson as a great PG, I would not be surprised in the slightest that we trade for him
but wouldn't Collison be considered more of a mentally tough PG than Lawson?

He's not close to great and I'm very frustrated with this pg message. We have multiple needs before a pg and few assets to get them. The last thing we need to do is waste assets bringing in Karl's pets

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

One interesting note:

Because he walked into a blazing pile of dogcrap and was more concerned with putting out the fire before he did anything else. Players have to trust each other and the coach to play effective defense; Karl had to try and get them all on the same page in the short space of time he had left in the season. I strongly believe we'll see a big change come opening night of the 2015-2016 season, once he's had a chance to work with the guys over the summer and in training camp.

His idea was:
  • defense is winning
  • you have to have a great PG with mental toughness like Conley, Paul, Rose or Wall
  • mental toughness and defensive mentality of the team is very very important
  • offense is what sells ratings, defense wins championships
I would guess, that's more endorsing Darren, than looking to get Lawson. Lowry, who took himself out of one game to stop the torture, probably isn't ranked high either.

His idea was:
  • defense is winning
  • you have to have a great PG with mental toughness like Conley, Paul, Rose or Wall
  • mental toughness and defensive mentality of the team is very very important
  • offense is what sells ratings, defense wins championships
I would guess, that's more endorsing Darren, than looking to get Lawson. Lowry, who took himself out of one game to stop the torture, probably isn't ranked high either.
Mental toughness, defensive mentality......sound like Boston Rondo. Hrdboild's dream coming true?:p