Gortat / Dudley available?

Hearing the Suns are looking to move Marcin Gortat and Jared Dudley.

Hard to know if there is anything to this but it is a local Phoenix radio guy. I can't help but think this is the perfect sort of deal for the Kings to go after. Suns fans seem to be upset overall that they didn't get Mclemore last night. They have a huge hole at SG and Gortat is unhappy. Thornton + JT + something? Maybe IT or Jimmer?

Last edited:
Been suggesting this exact move for quite a while. Not sure if the Suns would want some sweetner, but JT/Thornton + IT or Jimmer for those two is a no brainer in my mind. Dudley is a great role playing SF, and Gortat/Patterson becomes the perfect defense/offense platoon next to Cousins up front, with Hayes available in case of injury/foul trouble. Then just figure out if you're re-signing Reke to play next to McLemore or what the PG plan is...

So many options with the Suns, but absolutely, I'd go after both guys. Gortat was very good defender. I don't know what happened to him last season, but he's worth a chance. Decent shotblocker, mobile, good rebounder, tough. And Dudley is a solid role player.

I'd trade many different combinations of JT, PPatt, IT, MT, Jimmer for them ... and Salmon's ender could help them if they are looking to clear more cap.

I would absolutely LOVE both of them. Dudley is the kind of locker room presence that can get this Kings group on track. He also works hard on D and can stretch the floor by hitting the 3.
Plus, Gortat is a tough and solid defender who would complement Cousins perfectly.

Thornton would obviously be moved, but would hope we can retain JT somehow, though unlikely.

Would love to get Gortat in. Not a big Dudley fan but he's still probably an upgrade at SF. Give them anyone bar Cuz/BML/Reke. No picks either. Address two needs in one.

Gortat would be perfect. I've been hoping he'd come here all year. Dudley is meh. Good 3 point shooter but he plays real small. Had no idea he was 6'7". Thought he was about 3 inches shorter than that.

Gortat would be perfect. I've been hoping he'd come here all year. Dudley is meh. Good 3 point shooter but he plays real small. Had no idea he was 6'7". Thought he was about 3 inches shorter than that.
Dudley is a damned good defender, and his size is fine. He's a guy I've wanted for a while. Thornton for Dudley would work for both parties, too.

Count me in as a supporter of bringing those two in.
If we can't get one of the Denver SFs or Granger...then I'd be fine with Dudley shoring up the SF position.
And I'd really like to see Gortat on this roster.

I think Thornton would be the main piece on our end...and if we add additional guards/contracts then even better.

Dudley is a damned good defender, and his size is fine. He's a guy I've wanted for a while. Thornton for Dudley would work for both parties, too.
Dudley is damned good role player on offense, but his defense is just average. Don't understand how this myth was born. Would take him over Dorrell Wright though, who is of similar mold, but a bit worse.

I don't really care for Gortat but I'd be interested in bringing in Kendall Marshall.

Gortat or Dudley/Kendall Marshall for Thornton/Isiah Thomas. I wouldn't trade JT. Younger than Gortat and less maintenance.

Last edited:
Would absolutely love to pick-up Gortat. Dudley would be a bonus. If Phx is interested in something revolving around Thornton + JT it would be an instant upgrade to our team.

I read today that PHX wants to have Gortat mentor Len, at least until the trade deadline where he will have much more value as an expiring and a big with a pulse.

The more I think about it the more I think no one is gonna want Thornton. He does nothing besides shoot well... he's a liability in almost every other aspect of the game. Scoring is important but at what cost? $8mil/yr is rough for that... might be stuck with him.

The more I think about it the more I think no one is gonna want Thornton. He does nothing besides shoot well... he's a liability in almost every other aspect of the game. Scoring is important but at what cost? $8mil/yr is rough for that... might be stuck with him.
he runs the floor well on the fast break and finishes well when getting to the basket, excellent in the clutch, great free throw shooter and is above average in picking pockets and initiating the fast break.

he runs the floor well on the fast break and finishes well when getting to the basket, excellent in the clutch, great free throw shooter and is above average in picking pockets and initiating the fast break.
You're right... I was definitely selling him short by not mentioning his clutch ability he's shown. And he is a good scorer, no doubt... good shooter all around. Pretty much the same true shooting percentage as Duncan this year. Might be that I'm just too down on our own guys... maybe another team would love to take a chance on Marcus. Let's hope so... he's a good guy and a solid player, just redundant at this point with McLemore on board.

Yeah, it's a bit unfair to Marcus. In NO his sophomore season he was asked to do more and was getting 2.8 rebounds in 16 minutes(rebounding rate better than Patrick Patterson), he was getting 3+ assists and at least bothering PGs when first came to Sacramento. And his post all-star shooting numbers this year was spectacular. Obviously Genius(calling him Smart is disservice to him) wanted only one thing "shoot!shoot!shoot!" and Thornton's psyche might be damaged after two years of brain washing, but he could do a lot of things in the past.

Yeah, it's a bit unfair to Marcus. In NO his sophomore season he was asked to do more and was getting 2.8 rebounds in 16 minutes(rebounding rate better than Patrick Patterson), he was getting 3+ assists and at least bothering PGs when first came to Sacramento. And his post all-star shooting numbers this year was spectacular. Obviously Genius(calling him Smart is disservice to him) wanted only one thing "shoot!shoot!shoot!" and Thornton's psyche might be damaged after two years of brain washing, but he could do a lot of things in the past.
I actually think he could be a valuable guy but with the Mac pick there really isn't a spot for him (provided we keep Reke). Our 3rd guard really needs to have some pg skills to spell/play with Reke and that isn't MT's role. If he was making 3-4M you keep him as a scoring threat but at his salary, he needs to go. I think he still can be very successful in the league and I hope someone else realizes that when it comes time to trading.

It's the one thing that really appeals about the Vasquez option. Good size, good passer and decent enough shooter that he could be that 3rd guard and still create mismatches with the other 2.

Last edited:
I don't really care for Gortat but I'd be interested in bringing in Kendall Marshall.

Gortat or Dudley/Kendall Marshall for Thornton/Isiah Thomas. I wouldn't trade JT. Younger than Gortat and less maintenance.
I am a Kendall Marshall fan as well. I would love to see us give him a try.

No, he does not pick pockets well. He cheats on passing lanes, which is part of what makes him such a poor team defender. Lots of steals, but he gives up a ton of easy backdoor baskets and threes.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
People assessing Thornton aren't looking around the league and considering the state of the league's SGs right now. Well rounded or not, he might be one of half a dozen current SGs who legitimately could average 20ppg given minutes and shots. Put him in a situation like PHX and I'd actually be mildly surprised if he didn't.

Last edited:
Not sure what we have to offer PHX for essentially 2 of their top 3 best players. Dudley and Tat are the kind of guys any team would love to have as well.

They have no use for IT with Dragic-Marshall. They already have 3 P-pat type players with Beasley and the Twins. Maybe Thornton+JT for Dudley+Tat? Still think they could probably find a better deal. There's also the usual that Tat and Cousins can't defend PF's and are both C's

I'm honestly not all that interested in either of them. Unless I'm mistaken Gortat said something last year along the lines of ,"I'm not passionate about the game anymore." Dudley is OK. Hes a bit slow and undersized to play SF.

Gortat is one of the under-rated big men in the league. He is very hard-nosed and instantly toughens up the defense inside. He is one of the parts this team needs.