[Game] Golden State Warriors (6) @ Sacramento Kings (3) (WCDS Game 5, 2-2) 4/26/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Established precedent the past few seasons has been to not send second and third-year players to summer league, if they've already established themselves as rotation players. But I think that Murray could benefit a lot from playing in summer league this offseason: he needs to get some reps as a Number One option, to work on his assertiveness.
I went to a bunch of summer league games last summer. He was 100% assertive being the top dog. He doesn’t need to go back again. Yes, he needs to defer less and he showed flashes these last 2 games. Not drawing up a set play for him though when he was hot should never happen. This is also on Deaaron and Sabonis on making sure they find him

Would like to see Sabonis work on that mid range jumper this off season and get used to shooting it during the regular season next year. He needs to get comfortable with that shot. The warriors have been giving that shot to him all series long.
He worked on shooting as his focus this last off season...and works with Doug Christie all the time during the season, but yes, he needs to do that again

[QUOTE="ShastaKingsFan, post: 1728188, member: 33601"]This is why many don't believe in relying on a one dimensional heavy volume of 3's in the playoffs,....because if you get tight or go cold, it's always an uphill battle.
This is literally how the Warriors have won four championships.[/QUOTE]

Building your team around a Steph Curry and with a little luck on opponent injury while having one little window of a super team with KD plays a big part in that story but yes, this is true. I don't think the Kings are much like the Warriors and the playoffs now might be exposing that. I still think it's the Kings all over again. Once the playoffs started the Trotters ball went to hell and in came more simple two man game. Just like the Kings in this series.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bottom line, this team needs interior defense and another consistent go to option.

Sabonis hasn't been horrible, but he doesn't have another gear he can go to for the playoffs.

Kings need to take the gloves off next season for Murray. These last 2 games has showed me he's game for a bigger role if Brown just includes him in the gameplan.
And this honestly might be the biggest reason HB might need to go this offseason. Force Mike Brown's hand into giving Keegan a bigger role (also helps free up cap space to find more defensive pieces).l

Neutralize curry? Really? He’s averaging 30+. A hard make and an easy make are still worth the same amount of points. He’s not the problem. The role players eating are the problem
If Huerter were guarding Curry he'd be averaging 50.

When Doug Christie guarded Kobe Kobe still averaged 30+ right?

You get my point, and I said *try*, read again.

Would like to see Sabonis work on that mid range jumper this off season and get used to shooting it during the regular season next year. He needs to get comfortable with that shot. The warriors have been giving that shot to him all series long.

Also would like to see Murray be more assertive. It feels like he passes up a lot of opportunities. He's more of a system player at the moment since he's lacking the playmaking skills to go off on his own or maybe it's there, but he hasn't really been put in a good position to utilize that part of his game? Hopefully with a year under Murray's belt Brown will trust him more to make plays and put him in position to.
Again Sabonis WAS taking and hitting that shot during the regular season. And was damn good at it. Hell, he nailed 3 of them tonight. Same with the 3-ball.

There has to be some sort of set-back with the hand where he can't feel the ball right when shooting or something. He was never hesitant to pull that in the regular season and he's looked to shoot the 15 footer like 10% of the time in this series. That progression with his shot was a huge reason he took a leap forward this year and is an All-NBA guy.

Idk. Just too many questions without answers on our end about the performance we're seeing.

Looney is not a star by any means but he is absolutely elite at being a goon role player. He doesn't have to do anything on offense which allows him to do nothing but fight for offensive boards and muddle things on defense. It doesn't make him an all-star but it does make him a great role player.
Well apparently neither does Sobonis. All his shot he forced himself to shoot. He was passing on everything and still not getting any rebounds of value. If Looney was that guy than he not Sobonis would have led the leave in rebounds. Sobonis is playing soft as crap and it’s killing us.

I think it may be important to see how the Warriors do in RD2 against the Lakers or Grizzlies if they upset. (And WE don't upset).

The regular season Warriors were lackadaisical. I thought they might have another switch while being plagued by chemistry concerns as they have been.

The Lakers perimeter players are career losers. I think they might get swept.

I think it may be important to see how the Warriors do in RD2 against the Lakers or Grizzlies if they upset. (And WE don't upset).

The regular season Warriors were lackadaisical. I thought they might have another switch while being plagued by chemistry concerns as they have been.

The Lakers perimeter players are career losers, I think they might get swept.

Maybe things have stabilized, remember how good the Kings were on the road? Then again, the Warriors were almost unbeatable at home so...

Fox had 6 turnovers and most of them were late. Super uncharacteristic and 100 percent due to the injury.
True. To be clear, while turnovers were a story for this game, I was also speaking in totality of the series. They’ve been making to many lazy passes against pressure defense and Domas has been loosely dribbling the ball around too many defenders brining it up the floor. He had a couple knocked away from him tonight trying to then back his defender down.

But, yes, Swipa’s turnovers were too many and very costly.

Again Sabonis WAS taking and hitting that shot during the regular season. And was damn good at it. Hell, he nailed 3 of them tonight. Same with the 3-ball.

There has to be some sort of set-back with the hand where he can't feel the ball right when shooting or something. He was never hesitant to pull that in the regular season and he's looked to shoot the 15 footer like 10% of the time in this series. That progression with his shot was a huge reason he took a leap forward this year and is an All-NBA guy.

Idk. Just too many questions without answers on our end about the performance we're seeing.
Sabonis needs to spend all summer shooting and working on his non bully ball offensive game.

So shooting, hook shots, and floaters.

Next year, trade Huerter and Barnes for a superstar if we can. They have severe limitations, both players. Barnes is not a great defensive player especially team help defense...his rotation is a bit slow. Individually, he doesn't scare anybody. He doesn't have the length to intimidate or bother anybody...he may also got outrebound because of his size. Huerter is a good scorer but giving up buckets on the other end. His defensive skills is severely lacking...not able to move fast to keep up with the faster player or even in simple pick n roll. He doesn't have the length, size or strength to play great defense consistently. If we do make a trade, that player need to shoot just as well like them but also play great D...block shots, rebound, ect..

If the Kings want to upgrade their roster and take it to another level, these are the ONLY positions they can do it. Sabonis, Fox and Murray are set for the starting lineups. Monk and Mitchell are untouchable imo. Anybody else can be traded for better value.

Last edited:
If Huerter were guarding Curry he'd be averaging 50.

When Doug Christie guarded Kobe Kobe still averaged 30+ right?

You get my point, and I said *try*, read again.
I’ll take a curry 50 over a green 21! Any day if the week! I’ll say it again curry is not the issue. And huerter can score 20 easy to take away the Extra 20 curry may or may not score.

the role players eating are the problem sir

as much as I hate the Warriors they have two shot makers who crush your soul with hand in the face 3s, a generational defensive talent who can guard 1-5 and can also dish like a point guard and a big wing who can hit midrange and guard 1-4. They are built to compete.

did I mention I hate the warriors?

Wasn’t their starting lineup the best in the league by net rating? They didn’t have the group together for most of the season. They’re not a normal 6 seed, and I could see them favored to beat the Lakers or Grizz.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
and don't forget, this is a Kevon Looney who averaged 23.9mins: 7pts 9.3rebs 2.5asts and 0.6blks. He looks like Dennis Rodman against the kings in the playoffs lol
Not for nothing but 10 points, 14 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2 stocks per 36 ARE sorta Bad Boys-era Dennis Rodman numbers.

Next year, trade Huerter and Barnes for a superstar if we can. There have severe limitations, both players. Barnes is not a great defensive player especially team help defense...his rotation is a bit slow. Individually, he doesn't scare anybody. He doesn't have the length to intimidate or bother anybody...he may also got outrebound because of his size. Huerter is a good scorer but giving up buckets on the other end. His defensive skills is severely lacking...not able to move fast to keep with the faster player. He doesn't have the length or size to play great defense consistently. If we do make a trade, that player need to shoot just as well like them but also play great D...block shots, rebound, ect..

If the Kings want to upgrade their roster and take it to another level, these are the ONLY positions they can do it. Sabonis, Fox and Murry are set on the starting lineups. Monk and Mitchell are untouchable imo. Anybody else can be traded for better value.
Barnes will be a free agent so that would be hard to orchestrate.

In regards to Kevin... I don't want to be so quick to trade him. His chemistry with Sabonis was a huge part in our regular season success. His 3pt shooting is also extremely important for this team due to the lack of shooting from Fox and Sabonis. If we're able to package him for a star, that said star would need to be a good 3pt shooter. And we'd also need to find another 3pt shooter somewhere to put in the starting lineup.

as much as I hate the Warriors they have two shot makers who crush your soul with hand in the face 3s, a generational defensive talent who can guard 1-5 and can also dish like a point guard and a big wing who can hit midrange and guard 1-4. They are built to compete.

did I mention I hate the warriors?
and oddly, many write them off, because they had a bad road record without Wiggins for a long stretch. Never underestimate a champion (Rudy Tomjanovich)

Hindsight is 20/20 but I wonder how different the series would have been if we played the Lakers instead lol. James and Davis is still a load. Probably not much easier if that's even the case.

and don't forget, this is a Kevon Looney who averaged 23.9mins: 7pts 9.3rebs 2.5asts and 0.6blks. He looks like Dennis Rodman against the kings in the playoffs lol
Thank you! This. People are acting like Looney is Wilt chamberlain. This is freakin Looney killing our Allstar. It’s unacceptable and a big reason we losing, that and green honestly has made some big time defensive plays and offensive. He’s impressed me and is showing value. I bet we get him next year. Who wants to bet me? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.