Gay and Cuz..addressing the Gay ISO

I think more plays can be run where Gay and Cuz compliment each other better and use each other to get higher percentage shots/easier shots than the common ISO plays we see.

Going to Gay in the ISO/post is a gift to the other teams DEF. While Gay can score this way, he doesn't with enough efficincy to make the other team double. It allows their Defense to rest and often ends in a average FG attempt or a turnover.

I think there is a better way to use him and his talents. When Gay is at his best is when the Defenders are moving. This allows him to drive past his man, or work to a better spot for a high percentage shot near the hoop, where he IS ELITE.

How do we get him more attempts where he is elite you ask? Well, my nifty solution is through Cuz and Gay pick n roll game starting from the high post specifically closer to the elbow about 5 to 6 feet inside the 3. Why? Because here you can easily (opposed to the failed attempts to toss it in to Cuz in the traditional post spot) toss the ball to either here sense the defender cant front this far from the hoop. Now the other 3 kings clear to the far side of the court (this is why you post at the elbow so there is room to work and space for teammates to clear to). Other reasons for this spot are, Cuz and Gay can both quickly attack the rim off the dribble from this spot while and neither have a live dribble started for the defender to harrass. From here, both I think are very dangerous given their ability to pass, attack the rim off dribble, or shoot a high %jumper. At the same time, it is harder for defense to double effectively as Gay or Cuz will be able to see it coming easier, and with their height (especially Gay when smaller guy is on him) see and pass over the top. And if doubled here, neither Defender can get back to the rim quickly to help on a cutter.

Now, visualize, Gay gets the feed about 5 feet inside the 3 point line on the elbow. He turns to face up and Defender steps back once to gaurd against the drive...now Cuz either cuts to right under the rim (after ben sets a screen to force defender to trail Cuz, and Gay hits him for easy layin. Or Cuz comes all the way over, sets screen, gay drives around screen and Cuz turns and begins to roll to hoop....freeze it...BOTH denders are now having to move their feet to shuffle around the screen. This way, Gay or cousins isn't attacking a set defender! Now its pick your poison time for the def...Gay now has a live dribble near the rim where he is elite. He can either pull up for a short jumper, drive further for one of his nice flips, or drive for layup. Any of these attempt are very good shots. OR he drop off to Cuz who is even better than Gay when the defenders are moving and not set this close to the rim.

I think this would lead to more easy bucketts for both, more fouls on Def, LESS OFFENSIVE FOULS on Cuz, more energy from opposing DEFENSE to be used and less from Gay/Cuz (gets tiring pushing and shoving all game for position)....Allows Gay and Cuz to capitalize on both their talents to make things easier than if they are attacking 1 on 1. From here all sorts of fun stuff can happen aside from the 2 man game, from off the ball cutters, more USEFULL motion, open 3's etc. I think this should be a staple of the offense as it is easy to get into, less turnover prone, QUICKER to get into so the defense has to play for a full shot clock (again make them use their energy on this end of the court). Either Gay or Cuz can start in the high elbow post spot.

In summary, a 2 man Cuz and Gay attack is far superior to the Gay or Cuz iso. When they work off each other they will plus each other. I think the coach/scheme does a poor job of taking advantage of these two guys when they are on the court at the same time. I've seen them do this a couple of times (which inspired me to right this post) and it always lead to an easy bucket. I've scratched my head at why they don't do it more.

Last edited:
Actually, Rudy is at his best in the post.

From Zach Lowe's article
The Kings are posting him more, and Gay’s post-up game has exploded in Sacramento after weirdly falling off throughout 2012 and 2013. He’s a ridiculous 79-of-141 on post-up shots as a King, good for 56 percent, a number that would have ranked third among 117 players who attempted at least 50 such shots last season.
Gotta play to your strengths.

Hmmn I'm surprised he has been that good. Id like to know if that is only the Gay ISO plays from the baseline post spot (which is what I'm refering too)? or includes when Gay gets the ball in the paint, either through his own dribble or by a pass, which I agree Gay is elite here. When Gay has the ball near the paint in the post he is very good, the problem is he isn't able to get that spot everytime down the floor. What comes to mind is the pelicans game where even with a small guy on him he was often pushed out a ways from the paint and then not able to take advantage of the smaller guy from out there.

I'm also addressing the lack of motion and the often lack of effective TEAM offense here. I think starting with Gay and Cuz two man game is a good bread and butter place to start for reliable consistent good shots when the intensity picks up and the kings arn't able to drop the ball easily and quickly to Cuz or Gay with them in good position. Gay gets pushed out where my opinion is he is still ok but not elite.

My main point is NOT that Gay can't score on ISO post...it is that he is BETTER when not attacking a set defender. Same goes for Cuz, although less so. The plays where EFFECTIVE/USEFULL motion of the offense happens, where the defenders must move their feet and make quick decisions, Gay and Cuz are outstanding/elite finishers when they get the ball near the rim. Their passing, ball handling/driving ability is much harder for the defender to challenge when they are not starting out with their feet set in good position...

In essence Gay and Cuz can + each other even more by working off each other than just by the others presence being on the court. Question then is how to do that?

Last edited:
Hmmn I'm surprised he has been that good. Id like to know if that is only the Gay ISO plays from the baseline post spot (which is what I'm refering too)? or includes when Gay gets the ball in the paint, either through his own dribble or by a pass, which I agree Gay is elite here. When Gay has the ball near the paint in the post he is very good, the problem is he isn't able to get that spot everytime down the floor. What comes to mind is the pelicans game where even with a small guy on him he was often pushed out a ways from the paint and then not able to take advantage of the smaller guy from out there.

I'm also addressing the lack of motion and the often lack of effective TEAM offense here. I think starting with Gay and Cuz two man game is a good bread and butter place to start for reliable consistent good shots when the intensity picks up and the kings arn't able to drop the ball easily and quickly to Cuz or Gay with them in good position. Gay gets pushed out where my opinion is he is still ok but not elite.

My main point is NOT that Gay can't score on ISO post...it is that he is BETTER when not attacking a set defender. Same goes for Cuz, although less so. The plays where EFFECTIVE/USEFULL motion of the offense happens, where the defenders must move their feet and make quick decisions, Gay and Cuz are outstanding/elite finishers when they get the ball near the rim. Their passing, ball handling/driving ability is much harder for the defender to challenge when they are not starting out with their feet set in good position...

In essence Gay and Cuz can + each other even more by working off each other than just by the others presence being on the court. Question then is how to do that?
Gay scores at a 45.5% clip on drives (http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/drives/?sort=FG_PCT&dir=1&CF=DVS_TOT*GE*50), which is decent but not exactly elite. I'd rather take that extra 10 FG% and have him posting up.

I agree there needs to be more movement and team offense, but, it should be off the ball and in transition. Guys need to cut better, set better picks for teammates, and hit some threes. The pick and roll doesn't play to the advantages of Cuz or Rudy. Rudy isn't an exceptional ball-handler and Cuz isn't at his best being the roll man. Would it be nice if they could play this way? Sure, but I think Malone would be a fool to go away from a post-up heavy offense.

the 45.5% is for drives that START outside of 20 feet. I'm talking of starting from inside 15-13 feet from the hoop. From here Rudy isn't being asked to breakdown the DEF from the perimeter but make a few dribbles which his ball handling is suited for just fine to either get better position, attack, or pass to Cuz who would be in better position with . When Gay has some space and gets into the paint, with his long arms he is good at either reaching the backboard for the layin or stops short for a little fade/turn around jumper within 5 feet that he is very accurate on. Im not suggesting the typical pick n roll game here. And again, they have done this a few times in games and I havn't seen it look bad once (going to be watching more closely). This is more to get the the set defender off balance where Rudy either takes easy jumper, few dribbles to move into better post position closer to rim or drop off to Cuz in a deeper post. This isn't taking away the post up game at all as much as adding another dimension to it. I think it will help allow the kings to get more good attempts around the rim. Think of it as a way of working the ball inside because when the pick comes around the defenders can no longer be set and fight for position. Their feet have to move which gives the advantage to Gay and Cuz to do what they want. If Gay shoots the defenders are not in position to box out Cuz crashing the board. Or a key part is Cuz mixing up setting the pick, and instead get position under the rim where a short pass by Gay gets him the ball in great position. Or after screen Cuz drops for deep post position. My thought is where the defenders have to respect the drive, they can't fight off Cuz for better position than he is able to get now. Same goes for Gay. The point isn't for the typical Roll to the rim for an alley oop or for the jumper, but to create movement in the defenders where they can't just lock down 1 on 1 allowig Cuz and Gay to get inside recieve ball where they want it easier BECAUSE Gay isn't able to get all his attempts in the area where he is hitting 56% and the team is often not able to get the ball inside to Cuz with enough time on the clock, or at all. There are lots of stretches during games where teams are able to deny the entery pass to Cuz or keep push Gay out away from the hoop where he isn't as good (my opinion). My plan, it is easy to first drop ball off to say Gay at 15 feet from hoop and from there hit Cuz i deep post or he comes out to screen t oget the defenders moving.